Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't like the V60 because it drains too fast and I hate buying the V60 filters. If you get a beehouse or bonmac you can just use the ubiquitous paper filters you can find in any grocery store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Keyser_Soze posted:

My 2012 era Behmor 1600 drum cage is falling apart and replacements are unobtainable anywhere, apparently. Hopefully Sweet Marias will get some more soon. meh

edit: I found one and ordered it on some website called Caffeinee.com but I'm pretty sure they are just going to email me back and say (oh we have to order it since we aren't actually a real storefront and it's out of stock).

I need to reach out to Behmor to troubleshoot and issue. I’m pretty sure I need fo replace a board or sensor as I have read of people having similar issues. It clicks off on me as soon as I try to start roasting 95% of the time. It sounds like that is a safety feature of when it is too hot, but this is from a cold start and also up until last night. The cooling cycle would turn on if I pressed it. Sometimes cycling into cooling a couple times would let me start the roast but last night not even cooling would kick on and somehow the machine got itself into this weird timed testing mode cycle. Finally the cooling started working again and eventually it let me roast. What is weird is that once I get the roast to start, it works perfectly fine every time. Zero errors or shut downs mid-roast.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't like the V60 because it drains too fast and I hate buying the V60 filters. If you get a beehouse or bonmac you can just use the ubiquitous paper filters you can find in any grocery store.

Drains too fast? Then you need to grind finer...

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

Keret posted:

Hey coffee friends, if any of you are in Chicago, Dark Matter has a honey processed Gesha blend right now and it rules as usual. I got a bag of it today and they made me one on pour over. It's drat good stuff.

Dark Matter does a bunch of really interesting experimental stuff too that I've never seen before coming to Chicago, like using different yeasts from beer and wine, or bourbon barrels, to influence the flavor of some of their beans. Their Machete blend uses bourbon barrels and drat if it doesn't taste like coffee with a hint of bourbon. Are there other people doing this? I'm not super well versed in coffee production so maybe it's a common thing that I'm unaware of, but it seems like such a cool idea.

I don't usually love their roasts as much as Ipsento, Metric, or even Madcap but I've got to get over to check out that Machete one if I can find it. Sounds amazing.

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat

Tambreet posted:

I don't usually love their roasts as much as Ipsento, Metric, or even Madcap but I've got to get over to check out that Machete one if I can find it. Sounds amazing.

Ipsento is fantastic and, in my opinion, makes the best coffee in the city, with Metropolis and Passion House as close runners-up. I don't have time very often to go over to their main location in Bucktown, but when I do I'm always very impressed with both the coffee they make and the presentation; they really seem to care about what they're making which is nice. I love Dark Matter mainly for their experimentation and the cool stuff they come up with/their collaboration with local artists (and they do make very good coffee), but for straight up quality of roast, especially for Single Origin stuff which I tend to get, Ipsento and Metropolis can't be beat in Chicago. Just wish I lived closer to either. :(

Munkaboo posted:

V60 will give you the brightest cup out of those options, bar none.

I see, good to know! Is it a pain in the rear end to get the technique down though to produce reliably good coffee from one? It seems like it is kind of demanding in that regard from what I've seen, but maybe not.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

rockcity posted:

I need to reach out to Behmor to troubleshoot and issue. I’m pretty sure I need fo replace a board or sensor as I have read of people having similar issues. It clicks off on me as soon as I try to start roasting 95% of the time. It sounds like that is a safety feature of when it is too hot, but this is from a cold start and also up until last night. The cooling cycle would turn on if I pressed it. Sometimes cycling into cooling a couple times would let me start the roast but last night not even cooling would kick on and somehow the machine got itself into this weird timed testing mode cycle. Finally the cooling started working again and eventually it let me roast. What is weird is that once I get the roast to start, it works perfectly fine every time. Zero errors or shut downs mid-roast.

I had this issue, replaced the board, same issue. Turns out it was a nearly bent off power spade connector on the board, replaced the spade clip and works like a charm.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

MrEnigma posted:

I had this issue, replaced the board, same issue. Turns out it was a nearly bent off power spade connector on the board, replaced the spade clip and works like a charm.

Interesting. I'll probably open mine up next weekend and see if anything looks weird with any of the connectors first then.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Munkaboo posted:

Drains too fast? Then you need to grind finer...

Typically they brew in around 2 minutes. That's at most coffee shops I've seen and when I do it at home. Cafes love the V60 because it's fast. But at home I prefer the standard ceramic drippers that brew in 3-4 minutes, or the Kalita is good too.

Though recently I don't see any cafes using the V60 either. They all seem to have switch to a Beehouse or Kalita.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Oct 1, 2018

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
What do people like for scales? I see a bunch of cheap Chinese ones around 20 bucks that all look like the same product, then the Hario scale which is like fifty bucks. I see a lot of love for the CJ-4000, but it only goes to 0.5g increments. I'm looking to do mostly pourover, but my girlfriend wants to do a little espresso work so something that can do both would be preferred.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

https://www.oldwillknottscales.com/ is like the Amazon of scales. Jennings is a popular brand has down to miligram scales but I'm not sure what coffee people like best, certainly popular with TCC though :catdrugs:

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I'm having a little trouble lately getting a satisfying cup from my Aeropress. I have been grinding on an Infinity at the coarsest Fine setting, and 14g of coffee, 200g of water. I invert the Aeropress, pour all the grounds and water in, stir two or three times, let it steep for 60 seconds, stir again, and then press (basically Tim Wendelboe's recipe except inverted). In the interest of trying to nail things down, I've been changing only the temperature, but just off the boil is bitter, and then the 175 F I see recommended a lot is kind of bland. It isn't sour like when something is very underextracted, but it's lacking a lot of the sweetness. The coffee I'm currently using is a light roast from a local roaster.

What's the best option for increasing extraction without getting the bitterness? Should I just keep everything the same and increase the dose? Would a longer steep at a lower temperature help? I've been trying to only change one variable at a time so I can track the results but I'm not sure I'm changing the right variable to get the result I want.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

RichterIX posted:

I'm having a little trouble lately getting a satisfying cup from my Aeropress. I have been grinding on an Infinity at the coarsest Fine setting, and 14g of coffee, 200g of water. I invert the Aeropress, pour all the grounds and water in, stir two or three times, let it steep for 60 seconds, stir again, and then press (basically Tim Wendelboe's recipe except inverted). In the interest of trying to nail things down, I've been changing only the temperature, but just off the boil is bitter, and then the 175 F I see recommended a lot is kind of bland. It isn't sour like when something is very underextracted, but it's lacking a lot of the sweetness. The coffee I'm currently using is a light roast from a local roaster.

What's the best option for increasing extraction without getting the bitterness? Should I just keep everything the same and increase the dose? Would a longer steep at a lower temperature help? I've been trying to only change one variable at a time so I can track the results but I'm not sure I'm changing the right variable to get the result I want.

Your process is correct. First instinct would be to step up your steep time in 15-second increments. Try a cup at 75 seconds and then at 90 and see what you think.

Independent of that (and you're right not to change multiple variables at once), I'd lean towards the water being slightly hotter. 212 is too high but try 190-195 and see what that does.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Thanks for the help! I'll probably edge the temp. back up until it starts getting bitter again, and then use that as the baseline for increasing the steep time.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Mu Zeta posted:

Typically they brew in around 2 minutes. That's at most coffee shops I've seen and when I do it at home. Cafes love the V60 because it's fast. But at home I prefer the standard ceramic drippers that brew in 3-4 minutes, or the Kalita is good too.

Though recently I don't see any cafes using the V60 either. They all seem to have switch to a Beehouse or Kalita.

Grind time and taste vary with the grinder though so a 2 min brew time at a cafe is different than one at home.

I can see why they would switch, they don't have to attend to it QUITE as much.

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008
Ok Goons,

I have never really enjoyed coffee, but I feel it has never been given a fair chance. At work we only have decaf K-cups, which taste like rear end. Prior to that I’ve really only had the pre-ground stuff on sale from your local supermarket, that probably then sat for a solid year (no joke) on my parents’ shelf before I tried some. I’ve never really had coffee that I enjoyed even mildly. I can drink dunkin’ loaded down with milk and sugar, but at that point it’s a sugary beverage and not really coffee. It is not a stretch to say in my life, I have consumed roughly about 15 cups of coffee. I’d love to find something I can enjoy as is, or with very little added sugar.

The OP was fantastic – I decided to go big (for a novice at least ) and ordered a Clever Dripper, filters, and even got a refurb Encore grinder. If it ends up I still dislike coffee after this foray, then I guess coffee just isn’t for me.

Two questions: Is there a good place online to buy a sampler of different types of beans in small qualities online? If not, what would you recommend for someone trying to enjoy coffee for the first time?

Finally, the OP was so well laid out my hardest decision was trying to figure out what filters to buy, I assume I bought the right ones? I had no idea what I should be looking for here, #, shape, etc. A few comments mentioned Filtropa #4 Paper, so I went with that.

The Creature
Nov 23, 2014
I've had really good luck with metal filters, but i mostly drink espresso and occasionally Americano. I use the brands made for my technivorm and rinse them. I think getting unbleached filters and rinsing makes a huge difference.

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

THIS IS HOW YOUR CANDIDATE EATS CINNAMON ROLLS, KODO
Having recently gotten into pour-over coffee using a ceramic Kalita 102, there's one piece of advice I've seen in a lot of online guides that seriously needs revision: "After boiling your water, let your water rest off-boil for 45-60 seconds."

I'd been following this piece of advice until I decided to actually buy a thermometer. To even get into proper brewing range took closer to 150 seconds off boil. Silly of me not to realize this, living in a warm climate and all, but it has made a remarkable difference in terms of flavor. I can't imagine brewing without it or just guessing, unless one brews in a temperature-controlled environment year round.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

The Rev posted:

Two questions: Is there a good place online to buy a sampler of different types of beans in small qualities online? If not, what would you recommend for someone trying to enjoy coffee for the first time?

Buy some of the Ethiopia Wenago from Royal Mile Coffee. ( See SA Mart for the thread)

The owner/roaster is a goon and very nice, he will hook you up with some samples! Good, fresh African beans are about as far as you can get from grocery store coffee.

Make sure you are using not tap water too. I use distilled water WITH third wave water packets. Don't use distilled water without those packets.

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Munkaboo posted:

Buy some of the Ethiopia Wenago from Royal Mile Coffee. ( See SA Mart for the thread)

The owner/roaster is a goon and very nice, he will hook you up with some samples! Good, fresh African beans are about as far as you can get from grocery store coffee.

Make sure you are using not tap water too. I use distilled water WITH third wave water packets. Don't use distilled water without those packets.
Thanks for this, I was going to make a suggestion and also mention myself but i'm always afraid to overstep my bounds. If I got banned my nighttime reading would be screwed.

The Rev posted:

If you want to check out my stuff just let me know and I'm happy to toss in some extras from production. I do this fairly regularly with goon orders because it's from this site that I'm even able to roast and given I've spent about however long the app has been around using SA as my nighttime reading - I kind of feel honor bound to do it.
I also have roasts I generally mess up like this papua new guinea I let sit in the roaster too long so now it's basically a french roast. Who do I give that to? Well the goon that orders a one bag dark roast order.:ghost:

With that said there are coffee sampler websites out there. Stay Roasted sells my coffee and a boat load others. It's drop shipped from every roasters location. Mistobox does this as well. Craft used to be amazing but now they just roast everything and sell ny roasters which kinda bummed me out on their model. I believe verve and heart do sample packs? Personally I love heart so you can't go wrong there. I believe sightlgass you can add a sample in somehow? Pricing for these models is basically $15 and up.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

In defense of normal human beings who don't calculate the PH balance of water before they brew each morning, you can make a fantastic cup of coffee with nothing more than your Clever Coffee Dripper with some #4 filters, freshly ground coffee beans, and filtered water (I use the stuff out of my fridge door). Don't feel like you need to jump down the rabbit hole with all of this poo poo marketed towards eccentric people who REALLY like coffee. What you have right now will let you brew stuff that is miles ahead of anything you've had before. Start with that and figure out whether you want to chase perfection or not. Great coffee is much cheaper to consistently produce than perfect coffee is.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Kodo posted:

Having recently gotten into pour-over coffee using a ceramic Kalita 102, there's one piece of advice I've seen in a lot of online guides that seriously needs revision: "After boiling your water, let your water rest off-boil for 45-60 seconds."

I'd been following this piece of advice until I decided to actually buy a thermometer. To even get into proper brewing range took closer to 150 seconds off boil. Silly of me not to realize this, living in a warm climate and all, but it has made a remarkable difference in terms of flavor. I can't imagine brewing without it or just guessing, unless one brews in a temperature-controlled environment year round.

This varies by altitude and other environmental factors, so for example water boils here at ~202F, which is close to what I usually brew at. Secondly, many electric kettles allow you to heat water to a specific temperature instead of bringing the whole thing to a rolling boil and having to cool it back down. Its certainly more reliable than counting and less fussy than manually temping your water constantly.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I shove a dollar store meat thermometer into one of the vents in the lid of my cheap countertop electric kettle and even that made a huge difference from when I was trying to guess my temperature based on time/bubbles/etc.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

In defense of normal human beings who don't calculate the PH balance of water before they brew each morning, you can make a fantastic cup of coffee with nothing more than your Clever Coffee Dripper with some #4 filters, freshly ground coffee beans, and filtered water (I use the stuff out of my fridge door). Don't feel like you need to jump down the rabbit hole with all of this poo poo marketed towards eccentric people who REALLY like coffee. What you have right now will let you brew stuff that is miles ahead of anything you've had before. Start with that and figure out whether you want to chase perfection or not. Great coffee is much cheaper to consistently produce than perfect coffee is.

True that. Ignore my post and start here.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Gonna try my first behmor batch tomorrow, wish me luck

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I have a new Behmor 1600 on the way today since I couldn't find any replacement drums/trays for my old one. :suicide:

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008
I appreciate all the advice given, products have all been ordered, now comes the waiting. Big shoutout to MasterControl of Royal Mile who was very generous, looking forward to trying your products.

Thanks to my Tea habits I've already got a good electric kettle, and thanks to my cooking habits I've got a scale and Thermapen, so I can sperg just a bit brewing my first batches when it comes to weight and temperature.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Behmor worked great, but I couldn't hear the crack through the door- anyone have trouble with this for 1lb batches?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

Behmor worked great, but I couldn't hear the crack through the door- anyone have trouble with this for 1lb batches?

Some beans are louder than others but I have always been able to hear them.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

You can, erm, crack the door briefly

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
To the person who orders from Metric: I went by their café/roastery in West Town yesterday for the first time, and they're great! It's a shame I hadn't heard of them sooner. I got their Ethiopia that they've got right now on pour over and it was delicious. The lady making it for me was really friendly as well and we chatted about how they make coffee in the V60. I ended up getting a bag of the Nicaragua they've got at the moment and it is excellent.

My V60 arrived yesterday as well and I made a cup using Metric's method, which is 1:15 (they actually range from 1:14 to 1:16 on the V60) coffee to water, with a medium-ish grind. It turned out pretty good, but I think I'll need to tinker with it. It ended up taking 3m30s to brew, so maybe I'll do a slightly more coarse grind next time. Anyone have a good method to try with the V60, or tips for making coffee in it?

In that same vein, how do you all go about getting everything dialed in, variable-wise, with new beans for different methods? I'm still not great at identifying what exactly something needs when the taste is kind of off, but I guess that comes with time.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011
This has helped me a bunch:

https://baristahustle.com/blog/the-coffee-compass/

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

I'm really enjoying my aeropress and Ethiopian yirgacheffe. Seems the next step is a burr grinder and thermometer? Will a clever coffee dripper or other method produce a better or different taste than the aeropress?

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Butt Discussin posted:

I'm really enjoying my aeropress and Ethiopian yirgacheffe. Seems the next step is a burr grinder and thermometer? Will a clever coffee dripper or other method produce a better or different taste than the aeropress?

Both the aeropress and the CCD use an immersion brew method so they're similar in that regard. The use of pressure in an aeropress is supposed to produce an espresso-style crema on top, but I've never had great success producing said crema with an aeropress. Besides that, the CCD is supposed to be much easier to clean than the aeropress, with less chance of grounds getting into your cup (a common gripe with the aeropress). If you want to try something a bit different, you could always try pourover; a plastic Hario V60 is super-affordable, and makes my favourite cup of coffee.

A burr grinder is a great investment vs. a blade grinder and will probably make the biggest difference to your coffee. For not too much money you could get a cheap hand grinder like the Hario Skerton (be warned it is a workout), for more money you could get an entry-level electric grinder like the baratza encore. Using a thermometer is kinda finicky with a regular kettle, I really like using a variable temperature kettle but missing that you can just let your water boil and wait for it to cool down a consistent amount of time.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If you don't have a temp-controlled kettle then boil up some water the normal way then take its temperature every minute or so until you know the time required to get it down below 205 or so.

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat

This is great, thanks!

I've made a couple of cups and it tastes pretty good, but with a sort of bitter/acidic background note going on that I'm iffy on. I went from using a medium grind (Medium nearing on Fine on my Capresso Infinity) to a medium-leaning-coarse grind and it was less outright bitter and more acidic/tart, so I guess I'll try less coffee and the previous grind setting? It's hard to tell without having tried the coffee in the cafe what it's supposed to taste like though, so I feel like I'm kind of reaching around in the dark.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

Keret posted:

This is great, thanks!

I've made a couple of cups and it tastes pretty good, but with a sort of bitter/acidic background note going on that I'm iffy on. I went from using a medium grind (Medium nearing on Fine on my Capresso Infinity) to a medium-leaning-coarse grind and it was less outright bitter and more acidic/tart, so I guess I'll try less coffee and the previous grind setting? It's hard to tell without having tried the coffee in the cafe what it's supposed to taste like though, so I feel like I'm kind of reaching around in the dark.

I pretty much just get sampler packs from Sweet Maria's and roast within their recommended levels, but have never had the coffees before.. Having tasting notes, expected flavors/qualities in mind when you're tasting can help you gauge what you should be looking for (though you may not taste everything, of course).

I'm certainly no expert but tasting a bunch and experimenting a lot can help differentiate issues with the brewing method from flavors you should be expecting. It can be a complex problem to solve if you've got all of the brewing factors available to tweak, so adjust one at a time. Sometimes it seems like it's kind of a waste to brew something that's not drinkable but it's all experience!

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Bought a Wave on a lark and I think I like it better than the v60. It could be New Toy Effect though

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Ingmar terdman posted:

Bought a Wave on a lark and I think I like it better than the v60. It could be New Toy Effect though

I pick the wave over a v60 like 90 percent of the time. Sometimes I'll find a bean that has really delicate fruit notes that the v60 highlights but the kalita flattens. But those occasions are pretty rare.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Looking for a grinder to use mainly for french press coffee. I don't need fancy settings. Just something that's somewhat budget friendly and won't break down/go dull on me within a year. I know I definitely don't want to hand grind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

cheese eats mouse posted:

Looking for a grinder to use mainly for french press coffee. I don't need fancy settings. Just something that's somewhat budget friendly and won't break down/go dull on me within a year. I know I definitely don't want to hand grind.

French press? Just whack the beans with a pan until they're smaller. Or chew them for a while. It's full immersion brewing, you'll get there eventually.