Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Accordion Man posted:

So, a spiritual successor to Twister then?

Cary Elwes was smug, the worst infraction in a disaster movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Krispy Wafer posted:

Smug about nature :smaug:

Big mistake Westley

(also please edit your post to just say "racecars, lasers, aeroplanes" in bold allcaps)

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Krispy Wafer posted:

I've only seen like, the first couple of episodes of Stranger Things 3 but I fully expect him to meet a gruesome fate for not closing the beaches. :v:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo.

That’s Cary Elwes.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
Yeah, Stranger Things has a lot of actors "From the Eighties" that help to evoke that nostalgia. Matthew Modine in S1, Paul Reiser and Sean Aston in S2, Cary Elwes in S3. Jake Busey in S3 but he's more 90s if he was ever famous enough to evoke nostalgia. Obviously Winona's Big Brown Beaver throughout.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I get it’s a jobs program for old actors, I just totally failed to see Cary Elwes.

Jake Busey has now become his father minus the head trauma. So he’s a pretty good stand-in for Gary.

It’s also managed a nice 80’s tie-in with Robin’s real life parents.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Gejimayu posted:

Yeah, Stranger Things has a lot of actors "From the Eighties" that help to evoke that nostalgia. Matthew Modine in S1, Paul Reiser and Sean Aston in S2, Cary Elwes in S3. Jake Busey in S3 but he's more 90s if he was ever famous enough to evoke nostalgia. Obviously Winona's Big Brown Beaver throughout.

Her 80s horror cred is mostly Beetlejuice. A comedy about someone dead not being able to make themselves known to the living so pretty on the nose.

I haven't seen s3 yet so looking forward to RoUSs?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Smug about nature :smaug:

Big mistake Westley

(also please edit your post to just say "racecars, lasers, aeroplanes" in bold allcaps)

:argh:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
His American accent is spot on, too. Way better than it was in Twister.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Her 80s horror cred is mostly Beetlejuice. A comedy about someone dead not being able to make themselves known to the living so pretty on the nose.

I haven't seen s3 yet so looking forward to RoUSs?

Holy poo poo this season has something pretty similar to RoUSs...

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Gejimayu posted:

Holy poo poo this season has something pretty similar to RoUSs...

What is RoUSs?
Edit: never mind, I was trying to think of "revenge of..." or "return of..." movie titles, not Rodents of Unusual Sizes

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Skyscraper disturbed me in the way they handled the ‘villains’ (if you can have a villain in a movie about a natural disaster). Their behavior didn’t justify their fates.

Otherwise it’s probably one of the best disaster movies in the last decade, but that list includes poo poo like 2012 and Geostorm so it’s a low bar.

I think you mean San Andreas? The bad guys in Skyscraper definitely deserved what they got. Also, Skyscraper is about a skyscraper, Not a natural disaster.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
San Andreas is the one where the Rock fights an earthquake with a helicopter, Skyscraper is where he saves a building with magic legs.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo that’s right. It was the one where he beats up the earthquake.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I remember San Andreas because it had Carla Gugino and Alexandra Daddario in it.
:swoon:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Android Apocalypse posted:

I remember San Andreas because it had Carla Gugino and Alexandra Daddario in it.
:swoon:

I have not seen it but a friend described it as a movie that exists to justify making Alexandra Daddario’s breasts shake as much as possible.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

AFewBricksShy posted:

What is RoUSs?
Edit: never mind, I was trying to think of "revenge of..." or "return of..." movie titles, not Rodents of Unusual Sizes

I don't think they exist.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

I have not seen it but a friend described it as a movie that exists to justify making Alexandra Daddario’s breasts shake as much as possible.

Then he made Baywatch for pretty much the same reason.

That and Efron's abs.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I do wonder if that's part of the lesson, too. (Don't fear death/let your weaknesses paralyse you) I also like the overarching theme that follows on from the first movie and especially the cartoon that Jumanji is alive and has a personality, and it is spiteful, cruel and likes to think it's teaching you a lesson. Especially given being a video game it's obliged to have protagonists with a level of competence and agency, but specifically makes them as unintuitive to the players as possible. The strong jock is made the weakest and has to learn to support and communicate with others, the preppy girl becomes Jack Black and has to use the brains she takes for granted, and the shy nerds have to be confident in their physicality and take initiative.

This sounds terrible to me

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

EmmyOk posted:

This sounds terrible to me

It's definitely my go-to example of "this all sounds terrible until you see it and then somehow it works". And you might think it's just a case of The Rock putting the whole movie on his back but it really isn't.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

It's definitely my go-to example of "this all sounds terrible until you see it and then somehow it works". And you might think it's just a case of The Rock putting the whole movie on his back but it really isn't.

Honestly I think Jack Black was the standout from the foursome, but they were all great. It's easily one of my top ten comedies now, and I'm legit looking forward to the sequel.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
You can't really fault anyone for thinking "Jack Black plays a teenage girl" is the least appealing idea in comedy history. In the event, it's actually not at all the atrocity you'd expect from that setup but it wasn't anything to write home about either. The sequel just looks baffling though - why would you cast Danny DeVito in your comedy and then actually have him played by someone else for 90% of the film? :v:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Danny Devito is old and can barely move.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Aphrodite posted:

Danny Devito is old and can barely move.

Yeah he's 74. Danny Glover is 72 as well.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
They’re getting too old for this poo poo.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Danny Devito could barely move in his 20s.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Danny Glover was originally too old for this poo poo at forty-two years of age.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Danny Glover was originally too old for this poo poo at forty-two years of age.

Wilford Brimley was 4 years younger in Cocoon than Tom Cruise is now. Spray a little gray in there, have makeup add some wrinkles, easy as pie.

But yeah, Murdock was retiring with a full pension from the cop job he first got when he was 17 years old.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

Wilford Brimley was 4 years younger in Cocoon than Tom Cruise is now.

While Tom Cruise is the most popular example to use for this, there's a twitter account that posts when actors/musicians/other celebrities reach the Brimley/Cocoon line, ie. the age Wilford Brimley was when Cocoon premiered (exactly 18530 days, or slighly under 51 years).

https://twitter.com/BrimleyLine

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yes, that Twitter account is how I was introduced to the Wilford paradox, but a few years ago it occurred to me that Brimley should be long dead if he starred as an old person in Cocoon. That’s when I discovered Brimley being old was a lie from my childhood.

From then on he got typecast as an old guy until he really was one.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

anyone over 30 is old af

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's strong implications that Jumanji is basically a Hellraiser puzzle box that's playing nice.

I can't believe I'm considering watching the Jumanji cartoon when I'm pushing 40.

Krankenstyle posted:

anyone over 30 is old af

gently caress...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Drunken Baker posted:

I can't believe I'm considering watching the Jumanji cartoon when I'm pushing 40.

gently caress...

If it helps, the cartoon Jumanji is incredibly hosed up in the most amazing ways. http://www.bogleech.com/jumanji.html

It's like the Tomb of Horrors set in the jungle when the DM got ideas from his nightmares.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Yes, that Twitter account is how I was introduced to the Wilford paradox, but a few years ago it occurred to me that Brimley should be long dead if he starred as an old person in Cocoon. That’s when I discovered Brimley being old was a lie from my childhood.

From then on he got typecast as an old guy until he really was one.

That's how Patrick Stewart pulls off the ageless persona. He went bald at like 19, so he was "old" forever. It also helps that he was already in his forties when he really became famous.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Krispy Wafer posted:

But yeah, Murdock was retiring with a full pension from the cop job he first got when he was 17 years old.

Who?

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
Murtaugh, Danny Glover's character in Lethal Weapon. Krispy Wafer either typo'd/auto-corrected or has been mishearing that name for years.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I apparently get Lethal Weapon and the A-Team mixed up.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

I ain't going to no South African embassy, Hannibal!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Sam Jackson is 70 years old, and in Captain Marvel, is de-aged to look like he's in his mid-40s. It works really well, until you see him walking around and it's really clear that yeah, that's an old man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Spiderman Far From Home post credit:
I wonder how frequently Nick Fury has used Talos and his wife as body doubles for him and Maria Hill. When he get dusted, Hill calls him "Nick" instead of Fury and in Captain Marvel he goes a great lenght about how no one, not even his mother calls him by name - in fact, he realizes his boss is a Skrull cause he calls him Nicholas.

That Italian Guy has a new favorite as of 14:57 on Jul 11, 2019