Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

The 20w egnater tweaker head is seriously super loud. that head is awesome and sounds great

e: 15w even! my guitarist switched to a fender hotrod deluxe now and it sounds awesome. the overdrive channel keeps turning off though, whats up with that?

ferroque fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Nov 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
If a drummer can't make basically the same dynamics with brushes as he can with sticks, gently caress him. You don't have to be loud to make crashy emphasis notes or sweet running beats. It's all about relative volume, not absolute. I think the biggest problem is that there's more self taught drummers than other rock instruments and the resources for learning on your own all suck.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

Ferroque posted:

The 20w egnater tweaker head is seriously super loud. that head is awesome and sounds great

e: 15w even! my guitarist switched to a fender hotrod deluxe now and it sounds awesome. the overdrive channel keeps turning off though, whats up with that?

It gets loud, but only with the gain up so IDK how clean it stays. With the gain really low it doesn't get too loud, but that lets you turn the Master Volume up so the power tubes work a bit harder and everything sounds less muddy.

The only issue with the amp is that the FX loop is line-level, which means some pedals make it clip, especially boosts. The low pre-gain+high MV helps a lot with this, but if you're not using line-level gear in it it's kind of a pain. There's a schematic out there for changing it to instrument level or if I remember right adding a switch, but I've not yet had the guts to do it myself especially as it's not a big deal for me right now.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

ZombieParts posted:

It's even true for the new tiny little tube amps. You use the classic gain channel on the DSL5 and it's going to be too loud for an apartment and unless you live alone it's up there even for a house. What most people end up having to do is swap out the tubes for ones that break up at lower volume or just playing with headphones.

also knocking it down a few db by using a less efficient speaker, but even still those small low-watt amps are stupid loud at the breakup point. at best you're talking about going from something like 103db down to 98, which is still as loud as most power tools

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

http://www.fender.com/store/factory-collectibles/fender-tele-cutting-board/

I saw these today, for sale. I wonder how annoyed people would be if you took two of them, stuck them together (for thickness), and built an actual guitar out of them.

In other news goddammit, what

it's the tele paul

hexwren fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Nov 23, 2014

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Alternatively, there's also this tele paul.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

I feel like Can and Should are two very different things.

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:

Allen Wren posted:

http://www.fender.com/store/factory-collectibles/fender-tele-cutting-board/

I saw these today, for sale. I wonder how annoyed people would be if you took two of them, stuck them together (for thickness), and built an actual guitar out of them.

shameless self promotion, I kinda did that (with a regular chopping board) from earlier in the thread. (Just to say, yes, a thickness of two chopping boards can be perfect for a guitar)

Fair Hallion posted:

effortpost: here is a guitar I made from an ikea chopping board

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

umalt posted:

Alternatively, there's also this tele paul.

I've got the Cabronita Tele that is sort of in that camp too.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

I really don't see an issue with putting two humbuckers on a tele - it's not like fender haven't done it plenty of times, and if you want to get closer to standard, there are bridge humbuckers that'll give you a nice tele sound when split.

Also there are stranger looking permutations of this sort of thing, for example:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

tube amps are a lot of fun, i used to have an engl 100w powerball with an orange 2x12. run it up against my friends solid state 100w H&K 4x12 stack, and at half channel volume and half master, the engl was making the solid state amp inaudible. wonderful.

Nostalgic Pushead posted:

It gets loud, but only with the gain up so IDK how clean it stays. With the gain really low it doesn't get too loud, but that lets you turn the Master Volume up so the power tubes work a bit harder and everything sounds less muddy.

The only issue with the amp is that the FX loop is line-level, which means some pedals make it clip, especially boosts. The low pre-gain+high MV helps a lot with this, but if you're not using line-level gear in it it's kind of a pain. There's a schematic out there for changing it to instrument level or if I remember right adding a switch, but I've not yet had the guts to do it myself especially as it's not a big deal for me right now.

wait are you putting boost pedals into the effects loop?

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

Stux posted:

tube amps are a lot of fun, i used to have an engl 100w powerball with an orange 2x12. run it up against my friends solid state 100w H&K 4x12 stack, and at half channel volume and half master, the engl was making the solid state amp inaudible. wonderful.

wait are you putting boost pedals into the effects loop?

Not right now, but I did it to get more volume without extra distortion from the preamp tubes (similar to another master volume) seeing as the power section had headroom for it at the settings I mentioned above. I don't think it's all that uncommon.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'd just like to say that Camel Audio's Alchemy is the greatest synth/sampler to ever exist, hth.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sockington posted:

I've got the Cabronita Tele that is sort of in that camp too.

I think this looks alright.
My first guitar electric was gonna be a Daphne blue tele but then I got an epiphone sg

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Nostalgic Pushead posted:

Also there are stranger looking permutations of this sort of thing, for example:

ew ew ew EWWWW

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
But yeah that LP is loving disgusting

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

nws that poo poo man, jesus

New New Fresh
May 26, 2013

White Dog Eggs posted:

HONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNK, HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwBhxBBa7tE

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

Dr. Faustus posted:

Drummers. So many of them think that they should have one volume level and the louder it is, the better drummer they are. One drummer I auditioned bragged, "I'm the loudest drummer you'll ever meet." :smug:

i hate to agree with faustus but jesus christ is this ever true. i knew a dude in high school who'd buy kevlar drum heads and then drum holes through them. all of his cymbals cracked. all of them. his kit was surrounded by piles of wood chips and he went through sticks faster than we could buy them. he was never quite right in the head and i think he's a homeless addict in seattle now.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

I am certain that is the music that is played in hell.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

unlawfulsoup posted:

no that would be this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YU3XIAgn9o

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

killhamster posted:

i hate to agree with faustus but jesus christ is this ever true. i knew a dude in high school who'd buy kevlar drum heads and then drum holes through them. all of his cymbals cracked. all of them. his kit was surrounded by piles of wood chips and he went through sticks faster than we could buy them. he was never quite right in the head and i think he's a homeless addict in seattle now.

I was going to post a similar story about a drummer who would hit so hard there were constantly pieces of drum sticks flying around, I think he didn't usually make it through a rehearsal with one set of sticks. The guitar player would pretty much dime his Marshall. It was loud. I had to really crank the bass amp. Ear plugs really help here - they cut the high end and you can hear the bass better.

When the drummer talked about miking up the kick drum so he could hear it - in rehearsal - I said no, we have to draw a line here.

When that drummer got up from playing, he was kicking empty beer cans out of the way. Where did they even come from? It's like they appeared out of nowhere, like he somehow just excreted empty beer cans while playing the drums.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Actuary X posted:

I was going to post a similar story about a drummer who would hit so hard there were constantly pieces of drum sticks flying around, I think he didn't usually make it through a rehearsal with one set of sticks. The guitar player would pretty much dime his Marshall. It was loud. I had to really crank the bass amp. Ear plugs really help here - they cut the high end and you can hear the bass better.

When the drummer talked about miking up the kick drum so he could hear it - in rehearsal - I said no, we have to draw a line here.

When that drummer got up from playing, he was kicking empty beer cans out of the way. Where did they even come from? It's like they appeared out of nowhere, like he somehow just excreted empty beer cans while playing the drums.

that guy sounds like the best drummer ever actually

IronLawnmower
Aug 28, 2014

unlawfulsoup posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLzEgrHKxNM
Checkmate.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

That isn't music, someone just left their old TV on and recorded it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

unlawfulsoup posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN110NHkoik

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

unlawfulsoup posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oofSnsGkops

:colbert:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

unlawfulsoup posted:

nah that'd be all the other music they regularly play on npr

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
I am sorry but none of those is even close to as bad as the saxophone rape train band.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

unlawfulsoup posted:

I am sorry but none of those is even close to as bad as the saxophone rape train band.

Come on.. you have to admire someone so committed to something so goofy. The drummer spazzing out at 5:50 is particularly good.

It's got a groove to it though. I'll give it that much.

IronLawnmower
Aug 28, 2014

unlawfulsoup posted:

That isn't music, someone just left their old TV on and recorded it.

It's art so it is wee lad.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

comes along bort posted:

nah that'd be all the other music they regularly play on npr

one of my favorite things was hearing pig destroyer's book burner on the npr site. i love it when npr streams metal

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
yeah npr's website actually has a wide variety of stuff, but the music they feature on-air is nothing but insipid ofay garbage

they know their audience and all but still

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
npr is the white man's BET or burden, i don't remember which

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
White man's BET is actually CMT

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
everything except rap and country but actually just country music about how much of a cool cowboy you are, targeted at middle age who embrace the ideology of machismo, jesus christ, and red solo cups

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i can't believe the country music awards actually get to be on basic cable

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

muike posted:

i can't believe the country music awards actually get to be on basic cable

this might shock u but country music has a very large audience.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
it does not shock me but the fact that i have heard things like red solo cup, how this girl likes to "fish", and other things about how cool it is to be a cow boy and other such things so many times is actually driving me insane and i wish there was more stuff with the quality of composition these songs have without the cowboy drawl and pretensions of good ol boy living or w/e because they're usually written very well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

muike posted:

everything except rap and country but actually just country music about how much of a cool cowboy you are, targeted at middle age who embrace the ideology of machismo, jesus christ, and red solo cups

yo man don't be frontin' on red solo cup

dumb self aware country songs are the best kind, since they know it's all goofy poo poo anyway

i'm trying to find this one video i swear that exists (and also belongs in the OSHA.jpg thread) about "you better read them warning labels" and it's about stuff like a guy who stuck his hands into a running engine, all done in a very upbeat country fashion

and all i can find while looking for it is mopey cowboy bullshit. wtf country, even when you don't suck you suck

• Locked thread