Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

robodex posted:

Yeah I very much regret buying a 16gb phone, but in my defense I never had any sort of issue on my 4S with available space, even on iOS 7. Something in the year span between when I was on Android and when I switched back to iOS must have flipped some sort of switch for developers that said "hey, let's eat up literally every single byte of space with cache"

Well there was the jump from 640x960 to 640x1113 to now 750x1334 resolution so your assets get larger. And then the jump from 32bit to 64bit also roughly doubles the size of apps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Although the last Keynote described how Apps could shrink considerably with new changes made since iOS 9

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

Well there was the jump from 640x960 to 640x1113 to now 750x1334 resolution so your assets get larger. And then the jump from 32bit to 64bit also roughly doubles the size of apps.

64 but devices are supposed to stop downloading 32 bit assets but apple had to turn that off last week because it's broken. :v:

But eventually it'll work.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

After 3 days with the 6s+, I still feel like I'm going to drop it, and it never feels comfortable in my pocket, so am going to exchange it for a 6s. The biggest thing holding me back is the terrible process of setting up a new phone again.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

pragan4 posted:

After 3 days with the 6s+, I still feel like I'm going to drop it, and it never feels comfortable in my pocket, so am going to exchange it for a 6s. The biggest thing holding me back is the terrible process of setting up a new phone again.

What are you having to do besides backup/restore?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

pragan4 posted:

Do an encrypted iTunes backup or a full iCloud backup, do factory reset on phone and it'll ask if you want to restore. Easy!

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

pragan4 posted:

Honestly, getting a case really helps that. I had the same problem with my 6+ but once I put a case on it that wasn't as "slippery" it was fine.

Either that or Grip Tape? :v:

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

What are you having to do besides backup/restore?

iTunes choked on my encrypted backup, so no app passwords, activity data, etc. carried over.

That, plus the Apple Watch process is the worst.

I'll manage to set everything up again, but it's basically just a time suck.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

robodex posted:

Honestly, getting a case really helps that. I had the same problem with my 6+ but once I put a case on it that wasn't as "slippery" it was fine.

Either that or Grip Tape? :v:

That's not going to make it any smaller or more comfortable to tuck away. I've come to terms with it until the 7 drops, but I kinda regret having the 6+. It's just too big.

If grip is the major complaint a case is gonna help a ton though (and it's not gonna be better at a smaller size because the smaller one has the same dumb curved edges).

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Zwille posted:

That's not going to make it any smaller or more comfortable to tuck away. I've come to terms with it until the 7 drops, but I kinda regret having the 6+. It's just too big.

If grip is the major complaint a case is gonna help a ton though (and it's not gonna be better at a smaller size because the smaller one has the same dumb curved edges).

Is that because it doesn't fit in your pocket or? I am still trying to decide if I want to get the 6s or 6s+ with the portability thing being the main deciding factor.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

Sextro posted:

I'm running through Official Bought From Apple Store Lightning Cables faster than toilet tissue. I don't do anything but plug my phone in and lay it flat on my desk, or in a little phone cubby in my vehicle. Just had my 5th cable since getting a 6 on release day start freaking out and constantly saying its plugged/unplugged. Are these cables allergic to me? Are they just really lovely? I'm seriously considering switching back to the wastelands of android to escape these cables.

Try blowing out the Lightning connector on the phone with compressed air. I had to clean lint out of my iPhone 5 a few times per year.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Sextro posted:

I'm running through Official Bought From Apple Store Lightning Cables faster than toilet tissue. I don't do anything but plug my phone in and lay it flat on my desk, or in a little phone cubby in my vehicle. Just had my 5th cable since getting a 6 on release day start freaking out and constantly saying its plugged/unplugged. Are these cables allergic to me? Are they just really lovely? I'm seriously considering switching back to the wastelands of android to escape these cables.

Are your cables wearing out or is it just the charging issue? As the poster above said, try cleaning the lightning port. I used a toothpick and got out loads of lint.

If the cables keep breaking, only unplug them by grabbing the hard plastic bit - don't tug on the cable itself. Since I started doing that I haven't had a problem.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Etrips posted:

Is that because it doesn't fit in your pocket or? I am still trying to decide if I want to get the 6s or 6s+ with the portability thing being the main deciding factor.

It's ok with most pants (I'm a tall guy though) in that it fits, but depending on the pants it can limit your flexibility. Sometimes it's difficult to ride bikes or tie shoes, for example. I've just accustomed myself to take it out whenever possible. If you want a portable phone get the regular 6s.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Sextro posted:

Hope you're not paying for these, they should replace them for free if you complain.

But yes, I think the white plastic degrades faster than black or something, as the apple cables are all garbage compared to monoprice ones for 1/4 the price.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

Yeah, I admit the 6+ is pretty loving massive but I'm used to it and couldn't imagine going to a smaller phone in the future :shrug:

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug
So when Apple announced Live Photos I basically dismissed it as a stupid gimmick. Even the demo photos they showed were gimmicky. Last night I took a photo of my mother-in-law sitting with her grandchildren, blowing out the candle on her birthday cake and the live photo thing caught the whole inhale/blow thing. I'm a total convert now, Live Photos are incredible for things like this.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Look, if you're smart, you'll buy a bunch of broken cables for $5 on eBay then go to the Apple Store and get replacements for free.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Hmm yes defrauding a company is a great to make them change their policies and not replace damaged cables.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
The plus is fine unless you're petite and it takes more than 3 days to acclimate.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Feenix posted:

The plus is fine unless you're petite and it takes more than 3 days to acclimate.

I'm bordering on a human giant at 6'6'' and hated my year with the plus, the 6s feels like god made this phone himself. (he did, bless u steve)

If I want a larger screen I can use what seems like a myriad of random other things that now litter my tech life.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I have a stack of £1 cables I use for emergencies and taking out so I don't have to worry about my real ones.

I still have a real one from about 3 years ago that looks like Arnie from the end of T2. Barely any skin left on it and held together by tape. Somehow still works.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

robodex posted:

Yeah, I admit the 6+ is pretty loving massive but I'm used to it and couldn't imagine going to a smaller phone in the future :shrug:

Don't get me wrong, it's the perfect size to hold in both hands, portrait mode and type away with, but it's not the right size for most pants.

I dread relearning muscle memory with a smaller phone. Can't even type on 5-sized phones anymore so I hope the new small size - if they'll even make a small phone :v: - isn't too small next year.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

Zwille posted:

Don't get me wrong, it's the perfect size to hold in both hands, portrait mode and type away with, but it's not the right size for most pants.

I dread relearning muscle memory with a smaller phone. Can't even type on 5-sized phones anymore so I hope the new small size - if they'll even make a small phone :v: - isn't too small next year.

I haven't had a problem but I tend to wear baggy clothes :v: my problem is it's really not one-hand friendly for typing, hard to reach my thumb all the way.

Honestly, though, I got the 6+ since I didn't want to cart around a tablet as well and it's a perfect trade off between "big fuckoff tablet" and "tiny phone."

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I think this 6S Plus is too drat big for my little stubby fingers, but I am going to just stick with it for a year. Maybe having to stretch all over the place to use it one handed will help my guitar/bass playing.

I kinda want to just get a cheaper TPU case like I did in the past. I just don't like the idea of spending another $40 on a phone I will replace in a year now that I am on lease. I found my 4S a few weeks ago which I will be returning to sprint for a discount on the lease, and it still had my incipio case which was one of my favorites. For my 5S I just wen to dx.com and ordered some random cases for under $20 total and picked the couple I liked most.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
the Incipio NGP (TPU) i got for my 6s is pretty much flawless, i assume their 6s+ case is of similar quality
http://www.incipio.com/cases/iphone-cases/iphone-6s-plus-cases.html

re: the post below, yeah, diztronic is also very good

emdash fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 30, 2015

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

JHVH-1 posted:

I think this 6S Plus is too drat big for my little stubby fingers, but I am going to just stick with it for a year. Maybe having to stretch all over the place to use it one handed will help my guitar/bass playing.

I kinda want to just get a cheaper TPU case like I did in the past. I just don't like the idea of spending another $40 on a phone I will replace in a year now that I am on lease. I found my 4S a few weeks ago which I will be returning to sprint for a discount on the lease, and it still had my incipio case which was one of my favorites. For my 5S I just wen to dx.com and ordered some random cases for under $20 total and picked the couple I liked most.

Check out the Diztronic case for ~$11 on Amazon. I absolutely love mine! The Incipio is also quite nice. I wouldn't use the 6s+ either if it didn't have a case as it's way too slippery but with this case it doesn't add bulk and makes it quite grippy.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I have cellular data off for my podcast app. Today I went to turn it on to download a podcast at work but it will not stay on. The button goes green and into the on position hit when I navigate away from settings it reverts back to off. It's almost like its missing the "save changes" button, but cellular data never had that before.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

9.0.2 is out, it fixes the lock screen security hole.

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug

kitten smoothie posted:

9.0.2 is out, it fixes the lock screen security hole.

Looks like it addresses this :

tesilential posted:

I have cellular data off for my podcast app. Today I went to turn it on to download a podcast at work but it will not stay on. The button goes green and into the on position hit when I navigate away from settings it reverts back to off. It's almost like its missing the "save changes" button, but cellular data never had that before.

Apple posted:

This update contains bug fixes and improvements including:

- Fixes an issue with the setting to turn on or off app cellular data usage
- Resolves an issue that prevented iMessage activation for some users
- Resolves an issue where an iCloud backup could be interrupted after starting a manual backup
- Fixes an issue where the screen could incorrectly rotate when receiving notifications
- Improves the stability of Podcasts

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

tesilential posted:

This is fixed in 9.0.2 which was just released.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

To the I just text and call crowd who think a 16GB iPhone is still fine nowadays. Ignoring the other apps I have installed which you wouldn't use this is my text storage use:

This isn't even at 15 year old girl level texting. iOS as a platform isn't very conservative with storage use.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

xilni posted:

To the I just text and call crowd who think a 16GB iPhone is still fine nowadays. Ignoring the other apps I have installed which you wouldn't use this is my text storage use:

This isn't even at 15 year old girl level texting. iOS as a platform isn't very conservative with storage use.

The default state is to never delete messages, or you can set it to purge every 30 days and it hopefully will prevent this. I see no reason to keep texts forever, seems silly.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

mAlfunkti0n posted:

The default state is to never delete messages, or you can set it to purge every 30 days and it hopefully will prevent this. I see no reason to keep texts forever, seems silly.

What, you don't want to archive the photos your ex sent you 4 years ago asking you to help her pick out an outfit for the night where she met her new boyfriend?

Casual.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I don't delete because I've noticed I receive and store an inordinate amount of pictures from friends and family through Messages.

I've been working on getting people to migrate towards iCloud shared albums which have nice notification and comment functionality as well but are iOS only.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Pivo posted:

What, you don't want to archive the photos your ex sent you 4 years ago asking you to help her pick out an outfit for the night where she met her new boyfriend?

Casual.

The Gooniest things I've ever read here are the lengths people will go to, to try and save text message archives.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

xilni posted:

I don't delete because I've noticed I receive and store an inordinate amount of pictures from friends and family through Messages.

I've been working on getting people to migrate towards iCloud shared albums which have nice notification and comment functionality as well but are iOS only.

Tap, hold and save perhaps? I mean, it literally takes two seconds or less to do so. Beyond that people stating that iOS isn't conservative with storage have no reason to complain about the messaging app.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Tap, hold and save perhaps? I mean, it literally takes two seconds or less to do so. Beyond that people stating that iOS isn't conservative with storage have no reason to complain about the messaging app.

:effort:

Plus I'm not a poor so I went with the 64GB as a minimum and am so far unaffected by my hoarding ways.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

xilni posted:

:effort:

Plus I'm not a poor so I went with the 64GB as a minimum and am so far unaffected by my hoarding ways.

Great, yet you cited the messages app as a reason to state "iOS as a platform isn't very conservative with storage use." which is completely incorrect. Just saying if you're trying to make a point yet you invalidate that point .. it seems ... a bit silly.

Anywho, carry on thread.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Great, yet you cited the messages app as a reason to state "iOS as a platform isn't very conservative with storage use." which is completely incorrect. Just saying if you're trying to make a point yet you invalidate that point .. it seems ... a bit silly.

Anywho, carry on thread.

Fair, my bad, this must be why I have no friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

xilni posted:

Fair, my bad, this must be why I have no friends.

It is, admit it .. you aren't storing pictures of friends and family in messages, just of yourself!

:boom: