Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

voltcatfish posted:

I don't think it's quite as easy to gently caress up Anri as one might think.

and I don't know if you can gently caress up Sirris at all if you don't join Rosaria.

I think I failed both of those (not sure about Anri, I haven't finished the game). Fat knight also hasn't appeared after the first time and creepy tortoise went and died while I wasn't looking. I think there are other fuckups as well that I'm not remembering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

horace can be found in the smouldering lake to the right of the entrance.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I clearly missed a lot in the Cathedral. Of course, I only went there after I hit the dead end at the bridge to Ithyll so maybe that is why.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Fat knight for the cathedral has a trigger that I figured out in my co-op playthrough last night. Is it the only trigger? idk. Anyway go to Rosaria bonfire, raise the bridge next to one of those magic maggot dudes (not the non-hostile one or the other near it, but the one the next segment over). Cross the bridge and go up the stairs, then open the big blue doors back there. Then go back to the cleansing chapel bonfire and check the well, he will be there.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I'm very excited for new levels, but Dark Souls 3 is actually a very good length I feel. It's long enough to feel appropriate for the price and the journey you are on, but the levels are more dense and thorough. I'm spending much more time exploring the Undead Settlement than I did the Undead Burg, because there's more layers, more branching paths and side sections.

There isn't really a flat out "bad" area in DS3 that I've found. The worst is possible the Smoldering Lake and I thought that zone was cool as hell, and a nice way to actually do Izalith "right" in a sense. It's a very tough area to explore and the fact that it's actually optional somehow makes that more satisfying.

The Crucifixion Woods is maybe my favorite area in the game; the water zone with the crabs is really pretty and kind of peaceful, enemies notwithstanding. The Farron Swamp actually feels like a not horrible place, and visually feels distinct from Valley of Defilement or Blighttown; it feels like a kind of real swamp, and it's so friggin' huge.

Preferably, I'd hope that the DLC content adds at least one more big sprawling area like Farron, because this is the first time that style of area has really been done "right" in my opinion, without bullshit mosquitos or other nonsense.

I'd like a way more dedicated Blightown or Sen's Fortress callback in the DLC. Something where the level feels like want to cause as much pain to the player as possible at every corner. Some of the enemy placements hit that itch, but I want more. More Dark Souls 3, please.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Old Demon King is a good fight and the meteor swarm is a fucker. RIP in peace capra demons.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
uuuuuuuuuugh i hate the area after the Pontiff. sure, just have a bunch of fireball spamming assholes, and up to two people can invade you! And gently caress getting into the Aldrich Faithful covenant, one of those dogs was enough.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

Wildtortilla posted:

The first lever is down on the ground level in the basin of clean water.
The second lever is up where Patches was hanging out, it's how he lowered you back down.
The third lever is In the far, far corner across the cathedral from the second giant (also on the ground level).

I was given the above instructions many, many pages back about how to raise all three platforms in the Cathedral. I can find the two on the ground level, in the wet areas, but I cannot find the last lever. I have already met Patches and been lowered down, but I can't find the last remaining lever that is reportedly near where he was hanging out. Can someone give me directions to it? I'm standing near the altar where the two skeleton priests were chilling. I'm so confused and frustrated. :(

^^ i too have only done two levers, but only one on the ground to my knowledge. the last lever is across the way from one of the raised platforms on the way to Rosaria. After crossing the platform, you'll see a couple worm dudes on your right. It's on a wall on the right. ^^^

Even though DS1 is objectively more Important, I still loved DS2 way more. I'm struggling to think of many bullshit areas, honestly. Then again, I love the gimmicky stuff like Shaded Woods and Tomb of the Giants, and even Black Gulch to a degree.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Do the NPC quest lines require summoning phantoms? I don't think I've summoned a single phantom to help me so I assume that is also going to ruin some progression.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

kikkelivelho posted:

Do the NPC quest lines require summoning phantoms? I don't think I've summoned a single phantom to help me so I assume that is also going to ruin some progression.

No.

One of them requires you to let Siegward help you kill a boss (Yhorm), but not as a phantom. And one of them (Anri's) has you get summoned as a phantom to help them fight a boss (Aldrich).

Harrow fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 19, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Shield of Want looks like the best shield in the game, give me that money. Also I just realized I blitzed straight to the boss by mistake, haha.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

I was mad last night and killed uh, Anri and his friend. It was easy and I don't feel bad about it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I LIKE TO SMOKE WEE posted:

I was mad last night and killed uh, Anri and his friend. It was easy and I don't feel bad about it.

You've gone hollow, sorry :(

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

I'd like a way more dedicated Blightown or Sen's Fortress callback in the DLC. Something where the level feels like want to cause as much pain to the player as possible at every corner. Some of the enemy placements hit that itch, but I want more. More Dark Souls 3, please.

It'd be great if they do a trap fortress that was more a direct analogue to the Widda Castle in King's Field IV, which Sen's itself is an analogue to. The main difference being that Widda Castle is a much bigger rear end in a top hat, with enemies that stun you, a metric fuckton more dart traps, floor traps leading to rooms you had just gone through, floor traps leading to a lake filled with piranhas, and probably other great elements that I am forgetting.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

I LIKE TO SMOKE WEE posted:

What a marvelous demon...!

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I'd like to see more areas that aren't callbacks to anything in the dlc.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh wow the demons next to the demon king are even huger than him and one-shot me. :haw:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Shield of Want looks like the best shield in the game, give me that money. Also I just realized I blitzed straight to the boss by mistake, haha.

Shield of Want can't parry, so that's a hard pass from me.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

f#a# posted:

^^ i too have only done two levers, but only one on the ground to my knowledge. the last lever is across the way from one of the raised platforms on the way to Rosaria. After crossing the platform, you'll see a couple worm dudes on your right. It's on a wall on the right. ^^^

Even though DS1 is objectively more Important, I still loved DS2 way more. I'm struggling to think of many bullshit areas, honestly. Then again, I love the gimmicky stuff like Shaded Woods and Tomb of the Giants, and even Black Gulch to a degree.

I can't get to any platform to cross. The only way to get up to their level that I know about is the elevator near the altar. It takes me up to a giant door that I can open to the outside beginning area of this zone or if I continue on the interior it takes me to an area that I could access the bridge if it was raised. I can see enemies on the other side of the bridge span but I can't get this bridge out of the water.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I have a waifu. :toot:

I can just picture the conversation between Miyazaki and an executive.

:10bux:: No, we really need a romance subplot in the game. Everyone else is doing it.
:geno:: Don't worry, I can totally do that! I'll even add my own personal touch!
:10bux:: ...

:10bux:: :ohdear:

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I think you get a good trap dungeon with the Catacombs in this game, frankly, but I was expecting a Sens analogue that never appeared. That said, a giant area of nothing but rear end in a top hat traps sounds like a Bad Time.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I have a waifu. :toot:

I can just picture the conversation between Miyazaki and an executive.

:10bux:: No, we really need a romance subplot in the game. Everyone else is doing it.
:geno:: Don't worry, I can totally do that! I'll even add my own personal touch!
:10bux:: ...

:10bux:: :ohdear:

I mean Miyazaki is the president of From, so he'd be having that conversation with himself wouldn't he?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Wolnir and DS2; I don't think he's supposed to be the PC from DS2 but I do think he's meant to represent what would happen to the PC from DS2 if they didn't play SOTFS. You end up becoming another victim of the endless cycle. For all the power that Wolnir once held, it all faded away and the world forgot about him. That he is entombed in the same place as Vendrick isn't a coincidence. Its another story of an all powerful ruler that ultimately ended up accomplishing nothing, and the cycle went on. Which is what would happen to you if you didn't say "gently caress this" after unlocking the true power of the crowns and wandering off with Aldia.

Wolnir at least got to big a giant skeleton instead of a giant zombie though, so he had that going for him.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Genocyber posted:

I mean Miyazaki is the president of From, so he'd be having that conversation with himself wouldn't he?

Even better.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harrow posted:

Shield of Want can't parry, so that's a hard pass from me.

I haven't landed one in DS3 yet, so I don't really mind that.

Dear Christ Smouldering Lake is a hellscape. How did they fit so many enemies in so small of a room

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Wildtortilla posted:

I can't get to any platform to cross. The only way to get up to their level that I know about is the elevator near the altar. It takes me up to a giant door that I can open to the outside beginning area of this zone or if I continue on the interior it takes me to an area that I could access the bridge if it was raised. I can see enemies on the other side of the bridge span but I can't get this bridge out of the water.

Beam back to Firelink and poke around the tower. You do have it unlocked, right?

Then come back.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Genocyber posted:

haha

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

people who don't like even a single souls game are mentally ill

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is the basic sorcerer catalyst the best one you can get for awhile or is there a better one in the early areas? Also there's no damage boost from two-handing a catalyst right?

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 19, 2016

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The exception is Demons souls, using the reason of "I dont have a ps3 and cant play demons souls"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I haven't landed one in DS3 yet, so I don't really mind that.

Dear Christ Smouldering Lake is a hellscape. How did they fit so many enemies in so small of a room

My favorite shields are all the Crest shield variants except maybe Grass Crest (the stamina regen effect is okay but not as good as DS1). Golden Wing Crest Shield gets special mention for having Spell Parry, which is worth it for style points alone.

If I'm going for pure fashion the Golden Falcon Shield looks cool as hell.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
So uh, how do people interpret the second ending, at least the version where you allow the Firekeeper to take the flame instead of killing her and snuffing it?

The first ending is obviously linking the fire and keeping the cycle going, and the third one is basically the Dark Lord ending from the first game, where you become the god-king of the Age of Dark the same way Gwyn was with the Age of Fire or whatever, but the stuff in the second ending about embers dancing in the dark is very peculiar and kind of makes me think it might be the best outcome. It seems weird to have two redundant Age of Dark/Dark Lord endings.

Anybody got thoughts or quick interpretations?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Thank you From Software from not warning me that if I were to go to the beheading statue right away and not showing me a bonfire before hand that I managed to lose 50,000 loving souls!

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Toriori posted:

Oh good goddamit. Didn't know how to buff storms ruler and Siegward died:( fuuuuuck

He literally soloed the whole fight for me I didn't even pick up Storm Ruler until old lady decided to teleport me away haha

I mean I did purposely draw some attention when I realized he was doing a billion damage while I was chipping at the bar I guess

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harrow posted:

My favorite shields are all the Crest shield variants except maybe Grass Crest (the stamina regen effect is okay but not as good as DS1). Golden Wing Crest Shield gets special mention for having Spell Parry, which is worth it for style points alone.

That's pretty sweet, I can't wait to find it.

After 12 hours of trying I was finally summoned again as a Sentinel. Shai-hulud destroyed me. :haw:

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Just a perfectly normal farm hand.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

So uh, how do people interpret the second ending, at least the version where you allow the Firekeeper to take the flame instead of killing her and snuffing it?

The first ending is obviously linking the fire and keeping the cycle going, and the third one is basically the Dark Lord ending from the first game, where you become the god-king of the Age of Dark the same way Gwyn was with the Age of Fire or whatever, but the stuff in the second ending about embers dancing in the dark is very peculiar and kind of makes me think it might be the best outcome. It seems weird to have two redundant Age of Dark/Dark Lord endings.

Those were pretty much my thoughts. End the fire pretty much gels with my taste in endings though: sad, ambiguous but hopeful too.

A few pages back somebody posted that they thought the Link the Fire ending showed it not working; you aren't consumed and the Dark Eclipse doesn't go away. I like that interpretation because successfully linking the fire seems pretty thematically incongruous with the rest of the game.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Zombies' Downfall posted:

My thoughts on that ending; I believe that is the natural state the world is working towards. For the fire to fade away but not gone completely, existing as faint embers that still illuminate the world in small ways. Its not the total darkness that would come from the abyss engulfing all, or the false age of fire that can only be continued by throwing more bodies onto the dying flame. I mentioned it before, but I think the dark sign resembling a solar eclipse is supposed to represent the nature of age of dark; brief light barely slipping bast a barrier a shadow.

I don't think it is a "good" ending though, only because these games don't really have good ones. The age of dark might be the natural state but that doesn't mean it will be a pleasant one.

Harrow posted:

I'm sad they put that shield in but not the rest of the falconer gear :(

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 19, 2016

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

You can drop them. You cannot trade them between players, they will simply be invisible and uninteractable for the other player. Trust me, I've tried.

:siren:gently caress:siren:

Save me from this tedious blue hell.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
basically I'm going to beat this blind like I have so far, I'm at the castle now, but next time im going to use a guide and not miss anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So Smouldering Lake might possibly be the most brutal level in a DS area. With all my fire gear and items I just can't fight it, there's too much. I've just been sprinting and pillaging.