Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I am terrible at Total War games but love the idea of playing Warhammer in one. Is it worthwhile to play on the easiest mode if I haven't done anything TW related since Rome 1, or is normal a good place to jump into the game at? I won't be playing until wood elves come out because I am in love with that faction.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I am terrible at Total War games but love the idea of playing Warhammer in one. Is it worthwhile to play on the easiest mode if I haven't done anything TW related since Rome 1, or is normal a good place to jump into the game at? I won't be playing until wood elves come out because I am in love with that faction.

Thanks!

I don't know the difference between easy and normal but watching at least some of these should help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dQ-y4Xomdw

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

I too am glad Warhammer is so diverse. I wonder who is more toxic for CA though, history nerds or Warhammer nerds?

I have the impression that GW's interest in Fantasy waned as the company became more dominated by Grimdorkness, so the setting was spared some of the dumbest sides of GW writing, and thus fandom, at least until it was struck full force with it in the End of Times.

Also as someone who has played the Warhammer Fantasy RPG a few times in the last 15 years I am going to say that CA has treated the setting with way more care in this year than its owner company had for the last decade.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Thanks!

You should be fine on normal, and since you've played a TW game before you shouldn't have too much trouble picking it up. There have been a lot of new mechanics added since Rome 1 (a lot of them being huge improvements) but it shouldn't be so unmanageable that you can't figure it out. I might be overstating how easy it is though since I've played a TW game at least once every few months since Rome 1, and a lot more recently since Warhammer Total War is so insanely good.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

It's history nerds because TW history nerds largely aren't actual history nerds they're just hyper nationalists and/or ethnic supremacists who present a skewed view of history to support their nationalism.

i always laugh when those guys go crazy over the length of a spear in cm or whatever when thats something no real historian cares about

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Thanks!

I haven't played any since Rome 1 or Medieval 2 (whichever came out last between those two) and it was similar enough that I caught on.

I think my biggest problem was understanding what was going on in the build screen and understanding that it wasn't just build anything I want anywhere I want anymore, you are limited and have to make choices on a per-province (which is a collection of regions) basis.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I played beastmen in the grand campaign and they are more fun than I realized. Once you build up momentum you can just steamroll through a weak area on the map.

All Must Fight and passive recruitment discounts let you quickly generate an army for virtually no cost. And once you have more or less a maxed out horde the growth maluses become a non-issue.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I must admit I'm dissapointed how Orion looks, sure he was kinda goofy in 5th edition, because he was basically a He-Man model with horns, but it set him apart from the other elf models and I remember it fondly. His more stylized version is kinda bland.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
His va is kind of goofy right now too.

Just griping but i wish treemen still looked like my metal ones with the face as part of the trunk

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Rygar201 posted:

Couldn't you have just corner camped him, and forced him to engage you? I don't do much MP though.

Yeah, that's why I ended up with a draw. If they have faster units than you left alive it becomes essentially impossible to take the match.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Spent way too long on an empire very hard campaign. Lulled into a false sense of security as I slowly (and I mean slowly) ate Sylvania.

By turn 88 chaos arrives and I realize grimgor owns all of the badlands and has like twelve stacks rampaging towards my borders.

I literally have too few resources to compete with him and chaos.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Maybe they'll destroy one another and you'll reap all the benefits.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I'm boycotting this until we get a sexier elf LL.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
A lot of my earlier games had that same sort of situation arise. Suddenly Grimgor and CHaos out of nowhere. So I changed my mindset to 'keep a stack alive' and basically just played dodge the stacks for a while, then something happens and they go a different direction for a bit and next thing I know I'm built back up again and those 5 doom stacks are never to be seen again having met some fate or the other off screen.

It's actually kind of underwhelming how I feel like I can survive those things by just avoiding them but then I miss out on some grand throw down.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

sassassin posted:

I'm boycotting this until we get a sexier elf LL.

So... Orion's wife?

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Is it me or do the horde factons seem underwhelming in the hands of the AI? It's nice that they'll periodically respawn on the map but often they're right next to a doomstack that squishes them. They are also too aggressive at times preventing them from building up.

I just wish they were a bigger threat. I don't think I've ever had to fend off a capitol siege vs savage orcs or beastmen.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Stephen9001 posted:

So... Orion's wife?

Sisters of Twilight would have been the best bet, they even have mount progression established for the quests.

But really any Elf that isn't a gross mutant would be fine.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
It's a bit weird that neither of the wood elven LL's really are elves.

Orion looks like a half-beastman.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Kainser posted:

It's a bit weird that neither of the wood elven LL's really are elves.

Orion looks like a half-beastman.

The pact with the forest is a huge part of Asrai society. That their leaders aren't wholly elves anymore is a big deal. Including Arielle would have helped drive that home. Also Durthu is kind of boring.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Rygar201 posted:

The pact with the forest is a huge part of Asrai society. That their leaders aren't wholly elves anymore is a big deal. Including Arielle would have helped drive that home. Also Durthu is kind of boring.

He is a big angry tree who stomps orcs and lumberjacks alike, he's ok, especially compared to some other LLs.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

fnordcircle posted:

A lot of my earlier games had that same sort of situation arise. Suddenly Grimgor and CHaos out of nowhere. So I changed my mindset to 'keep a stack alive' and basically just played dodge the stacks for a while, then something happens and they go a different direction for a bit and next thing I know I'm built back up again and those 5 doom stacks are never to be seen again having met some fate or the other off screen.

It's actually kind of underwhelming how I feel like I can survive those things by just avoiding them but then I miss out on some grand throw down.

I could maybe hold them off while assimilating brettonia? Maybe.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
What are your starting Clan Angrund strategies? I restarted several times until I managed to get the hang of it/lucky and capture Karak to get rid of the 50% upkeep penalty.

I captured my starting province and then helped the dwarves to the north of me deal with the gobbos there and then started to meander my way towards Karak. I focused on tech that improved my starting warriors and rangers and tried to abuse the starting pile of heroes as much as possible in battle.

I think I got lucky on my approach to Karak as I managed to lure out an army and I was able to conquer it without having to deal with a double stack sitting on it.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Rygar201 posted:

Ariel suffers from a chronic case of "not being in the 8th edition army book"

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hernia The Hunter posted:

It's pretty obvious that Chaos as released was effectively just a mod to make a computer controlled faction playable. Presumably this was because they didn't want to alienate the very large number of Chaos players out there in the world. Chaos are a huge and sprawling faction on tabletop and the don't fit into 1v1 binary that paired factions on release had. They were an end game special event equivalent to the Mongol and Timurid invasion waves in Medieval 2.

Chaos are the most popular warhammer army because, well, teenage boys. Chaos were always getting their own expansion, they were the single most profitable faction on the table top and their absolutely gargantuan army list reflects this. Warriors of Chaos, Beastmen and Daemons were all allowed in the same lists at one point. The Chaos expansion being the third game is fine with me, everyone is else is more interesting than them.

Though a fully fleshed out Chaos list as a supreme multifront big bad at the end of the multiexpansion game map with multiple points of invasion would be rad. Practically every continent has a Chaos presence so it still works even with the map extended.

no, they did exactly the same thing with the Huns in Attila, the only thing was that the Huns were fun because they started as desperate, starving hordes and then becaming comically powerful when Attila rose to power.

in warhammer you're just slapfighting norscans and Kislev and praying new hordes aren't insta wiped by gotta go fast empire stacks

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Mans posted:

no, they did exactly the same thing with the Huns in Attila, the only thing was that the Huns were fun because they started as desperate, starving hordes and then becaming comically powerful when Attila rose to power.

in warhammer you're just slapfighting norscans and Kislev and praying new hordes aren't insta wiped by gotta go fast empire stacks

Yeah, hopefully if the speculation is true about an expansion focusing on the Chaos Gods and the map expands east, then the Warriors will have the more kickass option to gently caress off into the Chaos Wastes to subjugate demons and gain favor with your deity, and eventually become a Daemon Prince. I'm secretly hoping they crib some notes from Tamurkhan: Throne of Chaos and skip the whole Archaeon the Everchosen thing in favor of having a random God's champion return from the Wastes with a huge coalition of Beastmen, Warriors, Daemons, and Chaos Dwarfs.

Also, here's a neat map made from the datamined file I've seen floating around:

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
To get outriders do I need to have both required buildings in the same city, same province, or just anywhere at all? Wiki is not really filled out for all the dumb questions I have.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Province.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Triskelli posted:

Yeah, hopefully if the speculation is true about an expansion focusing on the Chaos Gods and the map expands east, then the Warriors will have the more kickass option to gently caress off into the Chaos Wastes to subjugate demons and gain favor with your deity, and eventually become a Daemon Prince. I'm secretly hoping they crib some notes from Tamurkhan: Throne of Chaos and skip the whole Archaeon the Everchosen thing in favor of having a random God's champion return from the Wastes with a huge coalition of Beastmen, Warriors, Daemons, and Chaos Dwarfs.

Also, here's a neat map made from the datamined file I've seen floating around:

Doesn't put Skaven in the Skavenblight?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Comrayn posted:

To get outriders do I need to have both required buildings in the same city, same province, or just anywhere at all? Wiki is not really filled out for all the dumb questions I have.

Provinces share upgrades and buildings such that you can essentially think of them as one big mega-city in terms of development. A few buildings come with faction-wide bonuses, and they will tend to state so explicitly in their tooltips.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Thanks!

Play a game on easy to have fun kicking rear end, and then you can make some mistakes and learn about things you don't know about in the process. Then after that quick game or if you get bored of it, drop it and start another on normal after that.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Comrayn posted:

To build on what other people have said: if a building's effect is faction-wide, it will specify so. Walls and garrisons are exclusive to the settlement they're built in. Everything else is provincial.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

V for Vegas posted:

Doesn't put Skaven in the Skavenblight?

Well there's nothing to really indicate that the datamined stuff is final, more of a work in progress kind of thing. Hopefully we'll get Skaven in Skavennblight, it'd be a real shame if they aren't put there there in some capacity. It may have a special kind of function for the Skaven as a nexus of activty or something and not really be a settlement in the true sense. The blighted marches and Skavenblight should feature in some way into Skaven playstyle and mechanics.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Skavenblight should be the Skaven Vatican. You're devising your own ratty plans to kill-kill the man-things and then you get demands from Skavenblight and the Thirteen to do something that will forestall your own glory. And do it you will, because the Thirteen will send people to kill you if you don't/avoid responsibility too many times. Unless of course you're sneaky about it or use it as an opportunity to further yourself somehow.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Nov 29, 2016

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_61IZp_RNYg
After a decade long on-and-off relationship with Total War games, I've actually beaten my first campaign. :downs:

Played as Dorfs and admittedly the Long Victory was pretty underwhelming; I turtled up in the far northern territories and hit end turn a lot until my master engineer hit level 10. Yeah, I'll be glad to be rid of grudges next game. My short victory was a lot more cinematic. While I'd taken my time exterminating the Greenskins and skirmishing into Vampire territory, Chaos had wiped out Kislev and the Empire proper, before turning to the fertile frenchlands of Bretonnia. My lone army in the region and its chivalrous allies were able to fend off and chase down Archaon's supporting stacks while he seized a provincial capital. I, uh, tunneled to the aid of the city, deployed on the hilltop and fired down into the Chosen ranks while two separate, ragged Bret cavalry divisions rode him down from behind. The Everchosen was slain, an age of peace had begun, and I finally won a loving campaign.

So yeah, this game's pretty good.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Speaking of cool things, have anyone else noticed that in the latest build they lowered teleport costs for quest battles? At first i thought it was a mod but restarting a fresh game without any mods on still says the same thing!

Most of the teleports have gone down from 5000 to 500, imo this is a verrrry good change as it makes you able to do, for instance all those starter quest battles without having to slog it (dwarfs) and/or trespassing on other peoples lands (empire).

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kokoro Wish posted:

Skavenblight should be the Skaven Vatican. You're devising your own ratty plans to kill-kill the man-things and then you get demands from Skavenblight and the Thirteen to do something that will forestall your own glory. And do it you will, because the Thirteen will send people to kill you if you don't/avoid responsibility too many times. Unless of course you're sneaky about it or use it as an opportunity to further yourself somehow.

Put this man in charge of the Skaven campaign

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Quests should be easier to do in some ways. Battles could be tough but it should not be an annoying slog! Empire having to ally nordland is annoying!

Also longer quest lines with more set pieces would be awesome!

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kokoro Wish posted:

or just murder all the Skaven Popes until a friendly one reaches power

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Affi posted:

Quests should be easier to do in some ways. Battles could be tough but it should not be an annoying slog! Empire having to ally nordland is annoying!

Also longer quest lines with more set pieces would be awesome!

I do sometimes wonder if Dark Omen would be feasible to remake in the Total Warhammer engine. All the assets or some version of them are basically there already and the game as a whole is just a linear A-B-C progression of quest battles across the Old World. In the original you pretty much only fight VC and Orcs, and some battles have units from Bretonnia/Dwarfs/Wood Elves/Kislev. The campaign could be modded to be way more static and constrained in scope so you're not doing weird things like questing in Kislev when it was wiped out 20 turns ago by the Norse.

I don't know the first thing about modding though so I could be talking out of my arse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Is the Angrand campaign actually winnable on higher difficulties? gently caress is it annoying.

• Locked thread