Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
It is odd that there's not even a 2x Combat Speed option, and I wonder why that's the case? Off the top of my head, Pillars of Eternity 1 was designed with speed options in mind, since BG1 and 2 fans would CLUA Console in 6x Paws of the Cheetahs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

wizard2 posted:

It is odd that there's not even a 2x Combat Speed option, and I wonder why that's the case? Off the top of my head, Pillars of Eternity 1 was designed with speed options in mind, since BG1 and 2 fans would CLUA Console in 6x Paws of the Cheetahs.

those games are all rtwp, this is turn based

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Saraiguma posted:

yeah, fair. Im thinking in terms of RPGs.

waiting for 10 weiners and 2 boss monsters to do their moves is visual information I dont mind ignoring and returning to once the net results are in place. I enjoy Steam Deck this way for the large maps.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

SlimGoodbody posted:

My wife is also running a paladin with similar gear and yeah you're basically the Juggernaut now, have fun

In Worms Crossing you can get a cloak that gives enemies disadvantage against you at the start of your round. It lasts until you take damage, but if you have 22 AC it’s basically permanent. Just avoid area damage.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Saraiguma posted:

turn based should be even easier tho

Age of Wonders is a strategy game but you can basically skip enemy turns.

I think their engine is a normal 3d game with physics and a turn based coat of paint on it so that's probably the problem. that's why you get some jank like weapons not returning properly after being thrown or falling to your death when your jump path causes your model to collide with world geometry.

crepeface fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 11, 2024

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
They should patch NPCs to automatically cast Detect Presence or whatever it is if they know an invisible enemy is nearby instead of literally looking around like a cartoon character and then chatting "I'll find you!". Whole thing takes like 20 seconds each time.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Kawabata posted:

Myrkul's another absolute dogshit encounter that will shred through most party compositions on tactician. No melee fighters can stand in front of him because they can never heal. The necromites are annoying as gently caress and you need to have a way to kill the eggs at all times. You need static long duration spells like wall of fire and the like, basically a tailored party and some luck to beat him. Which means a reload and a considerable waste of your time is what ultimately beats Myrkul.

i killed him on honor mode with one guy

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

LifeLynx posted:

They should patch NPCs to automatically cast Detect Presence or whatever it is if they know an invisible enemy is nearby instead of literally looking around like a cartoon character and then chatting "I'll find you!". Whole thing takes like 20 seconds each time.

Are you playing on Tactician? Seems like it's just a drat free action that every NPC gets to be able to walk up to where my Dark Urge/ my shadow clone is at and cast Detect Presence at it when i'm using the stupid invis cloak you get in the beginning.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The Shame Boy posted:

Are you playing on Tactician? Seems like it's just a drat free action that every NPC gets to be able to walk up to where my Dark Urge/ my shadow clone is at and cast Detect Presence at it when i'm using the stupid invis cloak you get in the beginning.

They'll fail every time if you just move away a few meters from where you turned invisible.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The fight against the Grymforge drow overseer was pretty ugly, but if I hadn't first talked some of the dark dwarfs into attacking him it would've been so much worse. I was surprised to see folks getting blasted into the lava, and my PC would've been one of them if not for a lucky saving throw. My illithid charm power helped a little because an archer got charmed three times during the fight after hitting me. Each time it was just for a single turn though because my dwarf allies kept targeting them. I'm glad I slotted Gale's thunderblast skill earlier on and he knocked someone into the lava before spending the rest of the fight repeatedly snared.

I had to laugh at the strength roll to decapitate the drow, and I just barely passed it. I mean... in theory I had all day to hack that dude's head off. If I got tuckered out I would've been able to take a break and come back later.

I'm now wandering around the weird catwalks and stumbled upon what I think is the final part of the Grymforge, but I have to backtrack and explore a section I saw but couldn't figure out how to reach. And then I'll return for my rear end-kicking.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

They'll fail every time if you just move away a few meters from where you turned invisible.

Yeah, you'll see a sort of transparent outline of your character. That's where the NPCs will go looking for them. If you're standing right there in full light with a bunch of glowing stuff they won't have to roll too high to spot you.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Zodium posted:

i killed him on honor mode with one guy

Imagine all the other cool things you could've done in the hours it took

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

SlothBear posted:

Yeah, you'll see a sort of transparent outline of your character. That's where the NPCs will go looking for them. If you're standing right there in full light with a bunch of glowing stuff they won't have to roll too high to spot you.

Yeah it took me a while to realize this and that going invis is actually very OP. If you do it as the last thing on your turn and don’t move they will immediately find you and it sucks.

It is kind of bullshit they get that free detecting presence ability. On my last run I almost died during the bank heist because even with Volo’s eye and a scroll of detect invis on someone else I COULD NOT reveal a couple of those fuckers. Ended up randomly chucking bombs until I hit them and knocked them out of stealth. Like they were literally standing next to me and nothing.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The final boss of Act 2 is meant to be challenging but it's easily doable with a melee-heavy comp. You want to spread them around the boss pit and have a clean transition into phase two without many incubute deaths on the field. If your fighters need to step out and heal, have them disengage, misty step, sanctuary, any number of things that will take them out of the deathchill aura without being hit. Or just have them tank the hit, it probably won't kill you. Park a ranged character on the cliff with the mindflayer or the necromites above to have them snipe incubates with arrows/scorching ray/magic missile. This is also a good fight to burn all those summon scrolls you've been hoarding since the incubates don't have much health. The last time I beat him my party was a Fighter, Paladin, Light Cleric (in melee), and Gloomstalker. He got destroyed in two rounds.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

That was the fight that showed me the value of a radiating orb cleric. It’s rarely necessary for your entire party to be totally unhittable like Agent Smith in the Matrix but it sure is funny

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Light Cleric is so busted in this game. Roll a 30 to hit me! Oh you can't. Well now you took 10 retribution damage and have been knocked prone with 8 more stacks of orb on you.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Act 2 conveniently gives you a bunch of radiant orb equipment which lets you tank the act 2 boss' accuracy so you can in fact surround him with a melee centric party and just pound on him.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

Light Cleric is so busted in this game. Roll a 30 to hit me! Oh you can't. Well now you took 10 retribution damage and have been knocked prone with 8 more stacks of orb on you.
Light Cleric: Orbs & Bane

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I just took out Orin very quickly, in less than 2 turns I think. My party is at 11 overall right now, and my Tav open handed monk and La'zael alone were able to take out Orin, even with the spell her circle was casting on her to make her very difficult to kill. The unfortunate thing was that my party was very low health, and we still had to take out the rest of the enemies in the scene. My party kept on dying, and I'd bring them back to life. Eventually my Tav turned into a displacer beast, and was able to take out the rest of the group fairly quickly.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Alternatively myrkul is also a scroll check. Just burn the 4 wall of fire scrolls or cloudkill or whatever you’ve picked up and run around killing necromites and eggs while he dies

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Huh, was not aware that's how the invisible mechanic worked! Explains why sometimes it ends up being completly useless and other times I make like 3 saves in a row!

It's less the fact that I can be found and more that the enemies just beeline straight to where I was and cast the thing for free! If it wasent pretty consistent that they will do the same behavior everytime it would feel alot worse for sure

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Nihonniboku posted:

I just took out Orin very quickly, in less than 2 turns I think. My party is at 11 overall right now, and my Tav open handed monk and La'zael alone were able to take out Orin, even with the spell her circle was casting on her to make her very difficult to kill. The unfortunate thing was that my party was very low health, and we still had to take out the rest of the enemies in the scene. My party kept on dying, and I'd bring them back to life. Eventually my Tav turned into a displacer beast, and was able to take out the rest of the group fairly quickly.

really funny when gortash transforms into a super evil form and then he slips on a patch of ice and my melee characters pound him into the dirt like a loony toon.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

crepeface posted:

really funny when gortash transforms into a super evil form and then he slips on a patch of ice and my melee characters pound him into the dirt like a loony toon.

I simply bury him in all the smokepowder and firewine barrels I've been hoarding and then throw a fireball at his dumb loving face instead.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

For me I think the murder tribunal (Sarevok) has the biggest delta between vibes and difficulty. Everything about him and the environment screams YOU'RE hosed and then you clown his rear end before he even gets to take a turn.

If you want to go the other direction, it's that god drat pink frog in the swamp

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Docjowles posted:

For me I think the murder tribunal (Sarevok) has the biggest delta between vibes and difficulty. Everything about him and the environment screams YOU'RE hosed and then you clown his rear end before he even gets to take a turn.

If you want to go the other direction, it's that god drat pink frog in the swamp

I broke out some cheese on Sarevok last night, and I'm pretty sure I didn't need to honestly. Hell, if Gale had made a 75% chance on Hold Person he wouldn't have even gotten a swing in. His girlfriends throwing Cloudkills around was more dangerous than he was, by far! Minthara's certainly enjoying his sword though, as if she wasn't already making a case to be my party's MVP.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

EorayMel posted:

I simply bury him in all the smokepowder and firewine barrels I've been hoarding and then throw a fireball at his dumb loving face instead.

i discovered that scripted conversations don't trigger if you're in gas form (or shapeshifted?) so i used that to Agent 47 a bunch of all the barrels i'd be saving Act 1 in the goblin camp. decided not to do it for the rest of the game though, figured it'd get pretty silly if started every big boss fight by turning into a fart cloud plopping out barrels

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Nihonniboku posted:

Upcast Magic Missile and a Speed potion will burn through all of those Unstoppable levels real quick.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

EorayMel posted:

excuse me, he is a handsome young man? :raise:

but that's a good strat tho

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

crepeface posted:

i discovered that scripted conversations don't trigger if you're in gas form

WHAT

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
gas can't talk obv

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
but it can certainly say things

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Minthara is best girl

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Leal posted:

Minthara is best girl

That's right.

Also, I'm in the middle of Act Three, and for some reason the journal keeps telling me to talk to Jaheira about The High Harper questline, complete with a map marker following her around, but she has nothing to, well, say besides the usual things. Am I missing something, or is it bugged, and if it's bugged is there a way around it?

EPISODEON CVIII: Loose Ends And The Tidying Of

someone helpfully informed me that if you leave Florrick in prison for too long, she kind of dies and stuff, so i made her priority one.
while i probably could have saved her by murdering an entire fortress, it turns out that throwing Greater Invisibility on her and walking out is much easier.
BIG KARLACH unrelated, but who cares, it's BIG KARLACH.

since this ended with me in the general vicinity of Wyrm's Crossing, I figured I should actually do the two big quests there, saying hi to Raphael and Voss.
and hey, what do you know, they're in the same drat room and everything. Zehra managed to annoy Raphael into volunteering a bit too much information, then politely declined his offer.
looks like we have yet another quest to add to the pile of quests! how one breaks into hell is a mystery yet to be solved. how hard could it be?

while wandering around, the party finds the most diabolical and horrifying creature encountered so far: an Australian.
a low-shot and a joke about boners later, and Zehra is now the comedy goddess of the Gate. :confuoot:
she's very proud of that reptile dysfunction joke...that's the second-happiest she's looked all game, only beaten out by drinking the Mystery Hooch.

guys i think Vlaakith's a bit mad. and wait where is your.......shirt???? is he hitting on- look, I like you and I'll probably side with you in the end, just...not like that.
at least he takes it well enough, which puts him far above most IRL men.
after that, having stolen all of lorroakan's property, the gang decided to go say hi to him and hope he hadn't noticed yet.
he pricked and douched and Frenched at us about how he wanted to use Aylin as a source of eternal life, a'la Ketheric. not a very good idea, buddy.

Aylin was, understandably, very insistent on killing the rear end in a top hat that wanted to subject her to another eternity of torture and imprisonment.
lorroakan smarmily smugged at his underling to use the Magic Aasimar Mind Control Wand on her, but being nice to Rolan for two chapters pays off! :toot:
wait, did I just use "smugged" as a verb?

we will not discuss what happened the first time I tried this fight. one F8 later, and I used an Elixir of Vigilance on Shadowheart before the fight so she could immediately silence Lorroakan.
it turns out that silence disables the thing where he hits you for, like, 90 damage every time he's attacked, and dumping all of Zehra and Lae'zel's nukes on him killed him before he got to do anything.
the elemental myrmidons were still a bit of a challenge, mostly because they have a billion health and Aylin and Rolan needed constant healing to not die, but eventually we won!
afterwards...I can't blame her, but Jesus Christ, Aylin. :stonk: and, of course, everyone had to sit in the dead man's throne. now book-themed!

post-fight, it turns out that Lorroakan was even more of a douche than he let on...which is saying a hell of a lot. but hey, the tiefling trio got its happy ending. :allears:
i'm a bit of a broken record, but i do really like that all of these little quests and characters have nice narrative payoffs, even if they come 100 hours later.
and finally, a bit of poking around Ramazith's Tower got some very, very nice caster gear for Gale to use. :toot:

Solo Wing Pixy fucked around with this message at 10:31 on May 13, 2024

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
That magma mephit fight was some serious bullshit, especially after several reloads finding out that there was a second wave of them. I could sneak past the ambush fine but any sort of attack on the metal deposit triggered it. I wound up putting everyone a distance away from the ambush spot, casting a cold glyph on where the mephits appear and sending in shovel to trigger the ambush. Somehow everyone winds up surprised anyway, which is also some bullshit. I forgot to take off Hazel's armor so she got cooked multiple times but with ice arrows and Gale casting his cold cantrip everyone survived.

I'm still anxious about triggering what I assume is going to be a godawful boss battle so everyone's going back to camp a while, which reminded me that I wanted to mention how cool it is that the camp environment changes depending on where you are when you hit the button.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Mephits and Quasits ftw

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Docjowles posted:

a cautionary tale for the end of BG3 - nobody is immune to the Incredible Power of Dance

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Jon Irenicus posted:

a cautionary tale for the end of BG3 - nobody is immune to the Incredible Power of Dance

They don't call it Otto's Resistable Dance

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
A couple of fun facts:

Regarding saving Florrick - if you've already released her from prison, she's the one who confronts you about breaking Wyll's pact, because she's been told that Wyll actively, personally killed his father, regardless of what's actually happened so far on that front. About her release, you can also simply sneak out with some caution, and get her to a side room with a breakable wall that leads to the outside. I dunno if that's where you took her or not, but you make it sound like you walked her out the front door while invisible, lol.

As for being hit on by The Emperor... if you're, shall we say, rude to him in response? He takes it so poorly that he drops the mask entirely and reveals one of his dirty little secrets that kinda destroys any and all goodwill I ever might have had for him.

Finally, about Smarmy McSmuggerton, In my run of that fight last night, the Fire Myrmidon actually ended up flying down to the lower level on its turn for some reason. Aylin chased it down there and finished it off, but the fight ended before she could come back up and rejoin the fight. I think as a result, the scene where she Banes his Batman didn't actually play. I was sad.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm still anxious about triggering what I assume is going to be a godawful boss battle

Looking forward to this after action report :yeshaha:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
...I am sad. Still using that mod that lets me set party members to AI control.

NPC Astarion threw his Sussur Dagger at an enemy... and now that the combat is over, it's just.... gone. None of the friendlies around seem to have picked it up, it's not on the ground to pick up, and wasn't on any of the bodies, and it's not anywhere in his inventory.