Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Zodium posted:

desperate to know why you would do this when a drakkar costs ten iron, thirty black marble, fifty fine wood and thirty yggdrasil wood and can sail up to the shore

I enjoy being a madman. I actually made two drakkar, because I died right outside the first one trying to pick up the new materials after blowing up a pillar and a wave pinned me into a rock.

I honestly didn't see a way to navigate the spikes easily with a ship and the place I was had two bonemaws almost on top of each other. Probably just a fluke of density of spires there

Also I can run metal in/out easily now I guess. But mostly I did it because it was fun, like when I tried to mine silver in meadows gear with trenches and campfires

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 13:48 on May 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

hell, good answer :cheers:

I think you just had bad luck on the spires, had a little trouble landing on the second island I went to as well. but the navigable paths are very tight and it's not entirely obvious if the ship's fat rear end will fit until you try, so it could be that too.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Dedicated servers are a curse. I cannot figure out why my friend cant connect in. Its been a huge pain in the rear end.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
If they are getting an "incompatible version" alert then it's likely because the server has mods that the players also need to have client side. Mods that use Jotunn like Valheim+ are guilty of this and it can happen on private, locally hosted servers too.

Burns
May 10, 2008

I should clarify that there are no mods involved.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
The next likely culprit is a mismatch between the server version and the client version, which takes some digging to figure out but I think you can see the server version somewhere alongside the client version. I've heard Xbox is pickier about this, for what it's worth.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah did your server actually update properly? I find it sometimes doesn't want to unless I manually tell it to in Steam. Though if you're in that seems less likely...

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Burns posted:

Dedicated servers are a curse. I cannot figure out why my friend cant connect in. Its been a huge pain in the rear end.

Burns posted:

I should clarify that there are no mods involved.

Any error messages on his side? Do you see connection attempts on the dedicated server side? Did you open/forward the ports? Also what does your server.bat look like?

giZm fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 17, 2024

Burns
May 10, 2008

The server.bat file looks like this. I removed server, world and password from below. Another thing i notice is that it no longer gives IP info when the bat file is run.

valheim_server -nographics -batchmode -name "" -port 2456 -world "" -password "" -public 1

Burns fucked around with this message at 12:54 on May 17, 2024

I eat baby skin
Nov 30, 2003
Fresh from the nursery

Burns posted:

The server.bat file looks like this. I removed server, world and password from below. Another thing i notice is that it no longer gives IP info when the bat file is run.

valheim_server -nographics -batchmode -name "" -port 2456 -world "" -password "" -public 1

Don't believe you can leave name and world empty like that.

See here for more info:
https://valheim.fandom.com/wiki/Dedicated_servers

Burns
May 10, 2008

No, theyre empty only in my post. They have actual inputs in the actual document.

Burns fucked around with this message at 14:07 on May 17, 2024

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Where the hell do I find
Flametal? I made my giant road to the shore, pushed through to a ruins I fortified. Found a cave early and got cores. A glowing green light nearby led me to a fortress, so I made ash stairs on the outside edge and rained down fireballs on everything inside. Went in, got on top of the keep, and used the new staff of fracturing to destroy the inside of that hoping it'd unlock the doors. Nope.

Ok, so go back and check materials. I've killed a handful of morgrens, a half dozen valkyries, dozens of ashkvins and a million skeletons. I can make basalt bombs and some stuff for catapults, I have gears... ok clearly I'm just missing flametal to make the catapult to break into this keep. I tried to use the bombs by hand with a shield up to protect me but it wouldn't let me.

But I've explored all over and see none of it. I've found two dvergr camps. I'm just mowing through stuff right now if I want to fight, or just running around exploring. Nada. I am on the far eastern part of the map, maybe it's screwing things up like when I couldn't find black cores forever in mistlands?

I've unlocked the ashkvin outfit, fracturing staff, and am getting close to upgrading the mage table after killing a few more valkyries. What the heck.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 17, 2024

I eat baby skin
Nov 30, 2003
Fresh from the nursery

Burns posted:

No, theyre empty only in my post. They have actual inputs in the actual document.

Gotcha.

Did you set up port forwarding?

Burns
May 10, 2008

I eat baby skin posted:

Gotcha.

Did you set up port forwarding?

Yes. In win10 for UDP and TCP and the same in my modem/router as well.

Also, the server is on my old pc and I can connect from my new pc without issue.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

trevorreznik posted:

Where the hell do I find
Flametal? I made my giant road to the shore, pushed through to a ruins I fortified. Found a cave early and got cores. A glowing green light nearby led me to a fortress, so I made ash stairs on the outside edge and rained down fireballs on everything inside. Went in, got on top of the keep, and used the new staff of fracturing to destroy the inside of that hoping it'd unlock the doors. Nope.

Ok, so go back and check materials. I've killed a handful of morgrens, a half dozen valkyries, dozens of ashkvins and a million skeletons. I can make basalt bombs and some stuff for catapults, I have gears... ok clearly I'm just missing flametal to make the catapult to break into this keep. I tried to use the bombs by hand with a shield up to protect me but it wouldn't let me.

But I've explored all over and see none of it. I've found two dvergr camps. I'm just mowing through stuff right now if I want to fight, or just running around exploring. Nada. I am on the far eastern part of the map, maybe it's screwing things up like when I couldn't find black cores forever in mistlands?

I've unlocked the ashkvin outfit, fracturing staff, and am getting close to upgrading the mage table after killing a few more valkyries. What the heck.

On PTR when we sailed to the nearest Ashlands in the southwest part of the map there were no deposits on either island. Sailed again straight down the middle of the map and found a lot of it. It’s really obvious looking - giant glittering rock spires jutting out of the lava lakes. I think mapgen is messed up in Ashlands — though this is purely anecdotal, I’ve seen the same thing echoed elsewhere.

Firebert fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 17, 2024

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Firebert posted:

On PTR when we sailed to the nearest Ashlands in the southwest part of the map there were no deposits on either island. Sailed again straight down the middle of the map and found a lot of it. It’s really obvious looking - giant glittering rock spires jutting out of the lava lakes. I think mapgen is messed up in Ashlands — though this is purely anecdotal, I’ve seen the same thing echoed elsewhere.

the spires can be plain hard to see ime, and you don't really need to mine it initially. focus on forts, as they usually drop 20-60 flametal in addition to various other things you need to progress. I took about ten forts before I decided to try mining the spires.

edit: you can take forts easily by raising ground next to it and lobbing magic over the wall. once you take a fort or two and get staff of the wilds, it becomes both easy and quick.

Zodium fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 17, 2024

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat

Burns posted:

Yes. In win10 for UDP and TCP and the same in my modem/router as well.

Also, the server is on my old pc and I can connect from my new pc without issue.

I had a bunch of issues setting up my server for this. Same setup, old machine sitting at home.

If you're using the default matchmaking, the one that gives you a join code, the server can't listen on local and internet at the same time.
Switching to the steam matchmaking fixed this, but there are some extra ports you need forwarded for the steam server browser to work.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Zodium posted:

the spires can be plain hard to see ime, and you don't really need to mine it initially. focus on forts, as they usually drop 20-60 flametal in addition to various other things you need to progress. I took about ten forts before I decided to try mining the spires.

edit: you can take forts easily by raising ground next to it and lobbing magic over the wall. once you take a fort or two and get staff of the wilds, it becomes both easy and quick.

Where do you get it in the forts? I've destroyed basically everything I can inside it but can't break into the keep.

And yeah maybe this is a mapgen thing, the equivalent of swamps without crypts. Frustrating as heck that if i had gone south of where others on my server are Id probably be fine, but I tried to stay away since I don't want to spoiler them

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

trevorreznik posted:

Where do you get it in the forts? I've destroyed basically everything I can inside it but can't break into the keep.

And yeah maybe this is a mapgen thing, the equivalent of swamps without crypts. Frustrating as heck that if i had gone south of where others on my server are Id probably be fine, but I tried to stay away since I don't want to spoiler them

it's in the chests. also you just reminded me that my very first swamp had no crypts which was both confusing and frustrating.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

trevorreznik posted:

You can’t dig under the walls but you can dig under the keep, there’s very important stuff in there

Burns
May 10, 2008

Firebert posted:

You can’t dig under the walls but you can dig under the keep, there’s very important stuff in there

I still dont get jow the devs missed that or why they kept that in.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Firebert posted:

Ha, I can't believe I didn't try that. Thanks.

There were no chests anywhere in the fortress, but 16 ore inside there + boss summoning stuff. Perfect!

Burns posted:

I still dont get jow the devs missed that or why they kept that in.

it seems intentional considering how the keep's raised up in the first place.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 17, 2024

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
I am finally playing Ashlands, I couldn't fit the new ship through the channel near my base, so I resorted to using smaller ship to move some materials from my main base to other base and built the new ship in other base.

Then I didn't notice that feather cape had some "unfortunate" weakness added since the update. I noticed it in Ashlands :rip:

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Haha, I was not prepared for how big the drakkar actually is

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Been having my eye on this for a long time but haven't checked in and wanted to get current opinion on some stuff:

1) I'm mostly coming to this game as someone who is solo and is very interested in the boss fights, wanting to see if it's like Monster Hunter except more involved in resource gathering and using construction to not just make faciliates but also arenas and traps to facilitate combat. I will admit though that the early combat seemed very simple and clunky: I'm not necessarily expecting Elden Ring, but I did want to know if bosses remain a focus and if they get more elaborate and interesting to conquer.

2) Is there any sort of price increase planned for near future? Seeing that it's only 9.99 at the moment and it's tempting to just pick it up now if it's promising enough.

3) As a side note, I was very interested in V Rising for similar vibes: not sure if there is cross-over here and if people have an opinion on one or the other.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

FutureCop posted:

Been having my eye on this for a long time but haven't checked in and wanted to get current opinion on some stuff:

1) I'm mostly coming to this game as someone who is solo and is very interested in the boss fights, wanting to see if it's like Monster Hunter except more involved in resource gathering and using construction to not just make faciliates but also arenas and traps to facilitate combat. I will admit though that the early combat seemed very simple and clunky: I'm not necessarily expecting Elden Ring, but I did want to know if bosses remain a focus and if they get more elaborate and interesting to conquer.

2) Is there any sort of price increase planned for near future? Seeing that it's only 9.99 at the moment and it's tempting to just pick it up now if it's promising enough.

It's like Monster Hunter in that cooking good food is the key to success, other than that not very similar. I'd say it's closer to Minecraft with better fights and more interesting environs.

If you're seeing it fo $9.99 just buy it, it's worth so so much more. I bought it at $20 and would have payed $60 in retrospect.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I hate this boat so drat much

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

rjmccall posted:

I hate this boat so drat much

its a big fat floating turd. sail it to ashlands once, make a portal, then never use it again.

when i first made it during the beta i was like "oh poo poo i'm gonna have to rebuild my docks for this aircraft carrier rear end boat," but after sailing it once i realized i would not have to do that because i will never use it.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Yeah. I figured I’d want to get the hang of it, so I built it in my meadows base and have been sailing it down, but it’s just miserable to actually explore in. You can’t get within map-revealing distance of a meadows or forest coastline or else you’ll run aground on rocks you can’t see from back at the rudder, and getting it unstuck is awful.

My boat also appears to be specifically cursed about wind direction.

Alright, landed and made my instant portal. Almost immediately needed it, too, lol.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
…and of course I got ganked while moving it

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

rjmccall posted:

…and of course I got ganked while moving it

Welcome to Ashlands, hope you like dieing... A LOT

The thing that bothers me most so far is having to mace kill the battering ram rather than just hammer dissemble. Like why?

drewhead fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 17, 2024

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

when you set sail for ashlands, you should bring materials for a workbench, stonecutter and portal, 100 stone, 100 wood and maybe 30 iron. before actually landing, hop off on a spire that can reach the shore, preferably a big rock on the shore you can jump to and back. build a stone house and put your workshop/portal/stonecutter inside. do not set foot on ashlands proper until you've done this or the consequences couldf be dire (having to sail the fatship again). do not disassemble the portal. go back to base and get materials for another portal.

Zodium fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 17, 2024

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Yeah, not leapfrogging portals was terminally stupid.

…I say, suddenly realizing that I didn’t bring supplies for an instant portal on my second trip

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

you really want that spire base too. it's basically the only place the million mobs won't mercilessly hunt you down.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
The problem is that the mobs actually aren’t all that bad, and then I was suddenly being attacked by three and panicked.

Lugubrious!
Jun 12, 2001

Whew, that Ashlands landing doesn't gently caress around. Read all the warnings, prepped myself to the nines, upgraded everything, landed all buffed up, pretty much instantly got swarmed by 10 dudes and loving murdered.

That's uh.... that's gonna be a hell of a corpse run -_-

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

FutureCop posted:

Been having my eye on this for a long time but haven't checked in and wanted to get current opinion on some stuff

1) Combat gets better but stays relatively clunky throughout. Bosses are a big deal but the resource gathering and gearing up in prep for bosses is the bigger time sink.

2) Game is going to be either priceless or an acceptable price depending on if you like the game. It's easily worth $20 even if you only play for 10 hours.

3) I don't think there's a real overlap between the two. VR is an action ARPG and this is more of an RPG vibe.

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.
Both Valheim and v rising have a real focus on building out your base to be able to advance, which adds a lot of the replay value in both. The defending your base aspect is also similar in some ways.

I'd take Valheim over v rising any day, lots more depth, but both are worth having. At 10 Valheim should be grabbed right away.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Now that I have two ships down at my Ashlands beachhead anyway, I hit upon the obvious-in-retrospect idea of making a base in the Mistlands just across the water and leaving one of the boats there just in case bad poo poo happens.

Progress update: took out an altar that seemed to be a spawn point. Mobs still spawn an awful lot, though. Also they don’t appear to follow the standard rule that starred mobs only spawn at night. Also my Ashlands base been raided by the fire skeleton miniboss twice already; good thing she’s total cake.

Base has the weather shield thing now. I’m not sure I really needed it, but I was being paranoid. The base is one of those hollowed-out buildings, and I’ve lined the entrance with spikes. I made stairs that I can easily run up and jump over the spikes; the mobs don’t seem clever enough to run up those and fire in.

Found a cave and killed the crazy monster in it. I was like, wow, this is some sort of miniboss? And then I had to make several trips to loot everything out of it, and another one spawned just outside, so I guess it’s more like the troll. Fun to fight, anyway. And now I’m got enough cores to make a super-portal.

Mistwalker is great against most of the mobs in small numbers, but when they group up, frost magic seems like the only option.

I find it very hard to explore just because I spend so much time fighting every time I walk out. Worried about just running past mobs the way I would in e.g. the black forest. Maybe I shouldn’t be — they do seem to leash much more than mobs in Valheim usually do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Ashlands feel like the opposite of Mistlands - in Mistlands, there were usually just a few powerful mobs and player and mobs can't see each other well due to mist and terrain. In Ashlands, there is a ton of mobs, but they are usually fairly easy to kill, but they also see you from afar, because terrain is mostly flat with a few obstacles, so you can easily get overwhelmed by them.