Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Silly Newbie posted:

I'm old and confused by the modern ways of inserting images on mobile, but there's a Wondermark comic about a sea lion that explains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Sure looks like someone getting comically karmic punishment for being racist!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I didn’t even know they could talk.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I didn’t even know they could talk.

Well they are crafty and cunning creatures. Always hiding their true abilities.

You know, like the ........

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

We don’t we like sea lions?

People use “sea lioning“ the same way I reference the argumentative goat. Just something that repeatedly makes loud noises when you’re trying to say something.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pretty much. The sea lion did nothing wrong.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Bored posted:

People use “sea lioning“ the same way I reference the argumentative goat. Just something that repeatedly makes loud noises when you’re trying to say something.

I would argue that "Sea Lioning" also uses performative decorum as they are doing what you say, (interrupting for the sake of hearing themselves talk whilst denying you the chance to speak), and also usually are arguing some petty minor point of an otherwise reprehensible and indefensible argument.

I would categorize it more as the "calm hitler" comic, but hutler won't shut up and will interject "but he liked dogs. Are you saying all people who like dogs are nazis?" into every discussion, even those that are about something else entirely, until you concede whatever bullshit point they were making.

That's my interpretation.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A lot of the time it basically got used as 'How dare you argue against me and bring up inconvenient facts that undermine my points', but kinda par for the course during the whole tumblr era dumpster fire discourse. Like with everything else from that era it's probably best discarded and forgotten.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Lottery of Babylon posted:

My (34f) boyfriend (39m) lied about political beliefs for 6 months. Can we make it work?

You should marry him and then find out his views on whether women should be allowed to own property, OP.

Based on what she posted there's no evidence to suggest he is some closeted alt-right shitlord? If anything, the six month wait to gently caress and her going on about the 'morality' of his views lends itself more to the Christian Right, because after all only Godly folk can be the arbiters of what views are moral and correct, no?

That being said, they should clearly break up because whatever her politics are they're important enough to her to be upset about his.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Theophany posted:

Based on what she posted there's no evidence to suggest he is some closeted alt-right shitlord? If anything, the six month wait to gently caress and her going on about the 'morality' of his views lends itself more to the Christian Right, because after all only Godly folk can be the arbiters of what views are moral and correct, no?

That being said, they should clearly break up because whatever her politics are they're important enough to her to be upset about his.

Comedy is option is she's christian right and he's libertarian right, or vice versa.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
"I'm a posadist and he's merely a REGULAR trot"

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Cloacamazing! posted:

Going by the seal thread, some people seem to think they're stealing attention from seals and also have ears. Personally I think both are awesome.

You're just pinnipeddling to both camps.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

ApplesandOranges posted:

You're just pinnipeddling to both camps.

It's a valid lifestyle. But if you'll go to the seal pictures thread, you will be able to see definite proof that I love both seals and sea lions.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

I stopped seeing someone over political differences, but it was the second date and he was a transphobe. A male terf. I can’t get down with that.

I don’t think OP is coming from the same direction

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Easy way to tell sea lion vs. seal is that sea lions can raise themselves up on their flippers and walk, while a seal compares you to a kiss from a rose on the grey

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
If she talks like she writes maybe he just never wanted to talk politics because he was trying to avoid an hour long, slightly pompous, overbearing rant.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Human Tornada posted:

If she talks like she writes maybe he just never wanted to talk politics because he was trying to avoid an hour long, slightly pompous, overbearing rant.

A loving men. Some people don't feel compelled to show their whole rear end on every drat topic like a 24 hour news channel.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for telling a stranger to not touch my baby bump?

gently caress the husband here. If a stranger had touched my wife while pregnant, I'd quite happily have hidden the remnants of their mutilated bodies because YOU DON'T loving TOUCH PEOPLE WITHOUT THEIR CONSENT I DON'T CARE IF THEY ARE PREGNANT.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Elissimpark posted:

gently caress the husband here. If a stranger had touched my wife while pregnant, I'd quite happily have hidden the remnants of their mutilated bodies because YOU DON'T loving TOUCH PEOPLE WITHOUT THEIR CONSENT I DON'T CARE IF THEY ARE PREGNANT.

There was the one lady who responded to all such advances by turning and grabbing a handful of boob or crotch. I think I would just go with a firm slap though.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
idea: a pregnant belly that you can wear, only it's filled with batteries and capacitors and such, so that anyone who touches it gets blown across the grocery store

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Honestly I could at least relate to her post in the sense I also have strong convictions and opinions. I'm massively leftist leaning and I think it'd be impossible to date me without finding that out pretty fast. Quite frankly I don't have any interest in dating someone who's at all conservative because I feel like their world views are so different from my own that I wouldn't be able to reconcile the differences. I'm also really not interested in debating anything. If it's a friend or a partner I've known for ages and they have an opinion that feels like it's coming out of left field I will of course poke their brains about it, but if we can't agree on basic premises then we wouldn't even get to that stage in the first place.

I do think it's hilarious she wrote all that up, about strong convictions etc and then never actually mentioned which "side" she was on.

Clocks fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 12, 2023

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Maybe she's a noble centrist.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITAH for masturbating while my GF and I are trying to work out our relationship and trying to avoid sex?

quote:

My GF (39) and I (38) have been together for 2 years this month and have lived together for the majority of it. I fell in love with her almost instantly, and truly believe she is the love of my life. We were together every day after our first date for MONTHS. It was the best time in my life. The past year has been a roller coaster with us, butting heads and fighting. The past 6 months have been really rough. We were both done. We spent about 6 weeks basically avoiding each other, but after spending some time together we decided to try and make it work again, because the love is still there, and neither of us can imagine living without the other. She doesn't want to have sex, although the past couple weekends we have after a few drinks, but she says she always feels bad about it. I can respect that, and I don't want to make her feel bad, so I try not to do things that would lead that direction. I have been trying to do things that are sweet that would make her feel loved, like rub her feet and cook dinner.

Last night I cooked and had planned on giving her a good full body massage, because she's been working hard and was tired. These usually lead to sex. After dinner we were on the couch and started kissing, and of course I felt the urge, so I excused myself to have a shower, and while in there I was going to pull one off to keep the urges under control and keep me from trying during the massage that i was going to give her later. We'll, she opened the shower door to offer to wash my back and caught me. Now she's angry and thinks I'm disgusting and we are back to sleeping in separate rooms. AITAH?

if this is the love of your life, i'd hate to see what your unsatisfying relationships were like

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Sorry honey. If you're not interested, I know someone who is! :wink:

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Foo Diddley posted:

AITAH for masturbating while my GF and I are trying to work out our relationship and trying to avoid sex?

if this is the love of your life, i'd hate to see what your unsatisfying relationships were like

I mean, when you really think about it, he was cheating on her with his hand. It's understandable she get upset.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
I couldn't help it, he was too handsome!

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
WIBTA for asking my sister to make payments to me?

quote:

Almost a year ago, my sister (F30) and I (F22) threw a birthday party for our mom (F50). We planned and planned for over 6 months. We agreed on splitting costs pretty evenly. I knew that I was willing to spend a bit more so I was ok picking up a little slack. But I had no idea how much slack that would be.

At first I reached out to her to ask if she could design the invitations for me. But she wanted in on the party so we decided to do it together. My sister lives out of state so I was the one going to appointments/meetings and booking things. We put our ideas together and created a beautiful event! Neither of us had ever done anything like this. We didn’t know how much it would cost.

I was very honest about costs that we’d be sharing. I never wanted to make her feel bad so I kept costs that I’d be paying more than her to myself. She helped me pay deposits for most things and we payed off the venue together. But the real bills didn’t start rolling in until it was almost party time.

My sister had been seeing this guy that lived in my state. She was traveling back and forth, whether it was driving or flying and she would have to pay to park her car in a lot or at the airport for the duration of her visit.

About a month before the party, we’re joking about how much the party is costing. She says “There’s about $1,000 missing from my budget and idk what I did with it.” I immediately thought that she had spent it going to visit that guy. The conversation went on, that wasn’t my business to comment on.

Exactly 3 weeks before the party she tells me that she had less than $500 to contribute to the party. Just when final due dates are approaching! It bothered me but I got off the phone and went into work. She had just left me to fund a $10k party by myself.

The next day, I was crying at work and texted/called aunties for support. I was trying to keep my mom out of the drama. I didn’t want any financial help, I was being too prideful for that. I had ONE more paycheck before the party. I picked up extra shifts, basically working 7am-10pm every week day and 8+ hours on Sat & Sun.

The only reasons the party went on were my extra shifts, I drained my savings, spent my stimulus check, and filled up my credit cards. We did talk about how hurt I was by this but it only led to apologies and no solution.

It’s been a year and I am still struggling to recover financially. WIBTA for asking my sister to make payments towards what I spent on on the party?

you buy a fuckin sheet cake and call up friends and family to invite them over. there, i just saved you ten thousand goddamn dollars jesus loving christ where do idiots get this kind of money god drat

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Foo Diddley posted:

WIBTA for asking my sister to make payments to me?

you buy a fuckin sheet cake and call up friends and family to invite them over. there, i just saved you ten thousand goddamn dollars jesus loving christ where do idiots get this kind of money god drat

look I know this is going to be bad words and spark a debate and all that but LOL my wedding didn't even cost that much

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Foo Diddley posted:

I knew a dude who got engaged, and once that ring was on, he and his lady decided they would be celibate until they got married, even though they'd been loving like mad beforehand. Things being as they are, he needed to take care of himself one night, so he left bed about midnight, sat in the living room and got busy. Of course she woke up when she saw a light on, came out and found him, big fight because he'd been jerking off in front of their fish tank. He ended up getting rid of the fish tank.

AITA for telling my son that his pregnant ex is going to live with us no matter what he says, and giving his college fund to her?

quote:

I (44F) am a single mom to my son, he’s 18. I work full time and make a decent money, and I have some savings set aside from what my late husband left us. I have been building a college fund for my son for past several years, and he knows this and was fully expecting to receive it when he graduates this year.

Okay - so over the past couple years he’s dated several girls for a few weeks to months at a time. They all seemed nice enough, and he was having a good time, so I didn’t mind, as long as he was careful. But about 3 months ago he brought home his latest girlfriend (Lisa, she’s 17), and we really formed a connection. She doesn’t have a great home life, and started seeing me as a trusted adult in her life. Yesterday she called me in tears, and she was almost hysterical so I told her please come over straight away, it’s going to be okay. She asked if my son was home and I said he was not. She came over and I tried to comfort her, and she said that she was pregnant and her parents were kicking her out of the house. I told her she could stay with us and would always be welcome here. She said she wasn’t sure about that, in a kind of sarcastic and angry way. I asked her why and she said my son broke up with her because she was pregnant.

I was furious with him - he was out with his “friends” and I called him repeatedly until he picked up, and I told him I cannot believe I have raised such a selfish person who cannot even be bothered to support the girl he claimed to love, and his own loving child. I said even if he does not want to take responsibility for this, Lisa and her baby are going to be part of our family that she is going to live with us. I said I would give his college fund to her to help her start a life for herself and the baby. He was shocked and said I should be in “his corner” because I’m his mom. I said well gently caress that, you don’t deserve to have someone in your corner right now. Then I hung up on him. He came home late at night and went straight to his room.

This is such a messed up situation, I just want to hear someone else’s opinion. Am in the wrong here? Was I too harsh, is there something I could be missing?

AITA for telling my kids that my MIL hates me, and that’s why I’m not coming on our “family” trip?

quote:

My husband (33M) and I (31F) have two 8yr old twin boys. We both work full time and my husband makes a little more than me, but just a little. We make enough to be financially secure - we can afford all the necessities and rent a 2 bedroom apartment, but we have never traveled (aside from weekend road trips) and probably won't be able to in the foreseeable future.

My husband's family is quite well off. A few weeks ago, my MIL called my husband and asked if he wanted to bring our kids to go on a trip with her. She apparently wanted to spend some time with her family. Her "family", though, doesn't include me. She has always disliked me and never considered me part of her family. Partly because I'm not religious (my husband is, but he respects my lack of belief), and also because she just doesn't like me.

My husband knows this and hasn't ever forced me to interact with her, but he still talks to her occasionally. Anyhow, he told me that my MIL had offered to pay for him and the boys to go on a two week trip with her around Thanksgiving time. I'm not invited, she said I'm "not really her family, so she doesn't want to pay for me too". (This is what she said word for word, according to my husband.) She knows that we cannot afford for me to pay to come on this luxury trip. She can afford it pretty easily herself. I was pretty upset about this, because I'd love a break too, but I understand that the kids will love this so I said that of course they should go.

I tried to be cheerful about it but my husband understood that I was upset, he asked my MIL specifically to please invite me too so that we can have proper family trip. She reiterated that i might be his family but I'm not her family. I told him not to push it, because I want my kids to have a good time without my husband and MIL fighting during the trip.

But I've been feeling pretty angry about the whole thing. So yesterday when my son asked me why I wasn't more excited about the trip, I told him I wasn't coming because his grandma hates me. I said this in a bitter tone. They were pretty upset to hear this.

Later, my husband told me I was an rear end in a top hat for dumping my feelings on my kids, and making them feel guilty about looking forward to the trip. He said I was ruining it for them and also ruining their relationship with my MIL (they're pretty close), and that I'm being selfish. So do you think I'm in the wrong?

AITA for using a lot of money from my child support?

quote:

My parents divorced when I was 8. The custody was split basically in a 70/30 arrangement, and my dad was ordered to pay child support. I recently turned 18, and we started a conversation about if it was necessary for it to carry on or not. My mom was very adamant that it should be continued, and my dad accepted, with the condition that the money was put into a bank account that I could have access to use any time I want. So, we opened an account in my name which both me and mom can have money from.

I have been using it a lot. Mainly to buy courses, uber drives and ordering food. I know it's irresponsible and I probably should manage the money better, but it just feels nice to be able to pay for the things I want.

Today, mom sat me down to have a chat about it. She said that she uses the money to pay for my things and that I can't use it that much. I said that I understood, but that dad said I could use it anytime I want. We argued a bit, and she said that if I didn't learn how to control my spending better, I should just go live with dad.

My defence is that it's not like I have spent all of the money. Dad is very annoying about saving and how we should always be prepared and etc, so I put a portion of it in a savings account. And even of the money that is left, I spent about half of it. But I do understand that, if mom wanted to do something with the money, she would have to reform her plans to fit my spending.

Dad says the money is technically mine to do whatever I want, but that I should be mindful of excessive spending and plan an arrangement with her on how much we each can take from the account. Mom says that I'm still too young to manage that much money and that I don't know what I'm doing.

AITA?

bolding mine

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Oct 12, 2023

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Wondermark: 2014 Errata: #1062; The Terrible Sea Lion posted:

It has been suggested that the couple in this comic, and the woman in particular, are bigots for making a pejorative statement about a species of animal, and then refusing to justify their statements. It has been further suggested that they be read as overly privileged, because they are dressed fancily, have a house, a motor-car, etc. This is, I suppose, a valid read of the comic, if taken as written.

But often, in satire such as this, elements are employed to stand in for other, different objects or concepts. Using animals for this purpose has the effect of allowing the point (which usually is about behavior) to stand unencumbered by the connotations that might be suggested if a person is portrayed in that role — because all people are members of some social group or other, even if said group identity is not germane to the point being made.

Such is the case with this comic. The sea lion character is not meant to represent actual sea lions, or any actual animal. It is meant as a metaphorical stand-in for human beings that display certain behaviors. Since behaviors are the result of choice, I would assert that the woman’s objection to sea lions — which, if the metaphor is understood, is read as actually an objection to human beings who exhibit certain behaviors — is not analogous to a prejudice based on race, species, or other immutable characteristics.

My apologies if the use of a metaphorical sea lion in this strip, rather than a human being making conscious choices about their own behavior, was in any way confusing.

As for their attire: everyone in Wondermark dresses like that.

AITB for telling my son to think hard about proposing to his girlfriend because of her background?

quote:

My son has been dating a girl, let’s call her Eva. She is sweet and respectful to us. But I can tell she isn’t fully opened up to us, and is hesitant to get close to me and our family. We’ve never had any issues, fights, and have always been on good terms. She just hasn’t been like other partners my children has brought home in terms of closeness. I can tell she has a mother wound, and although she’s very sweet, she just hasn’t gotten close to me. My husband and I weren’t sure how to approach her at first, because my son has explained to me her backstory as the two years have progressed. I’m not judging, just concerned. Like every other family, ours is not perfect, but I wouldn’t call it dysfunctional or toxic in any way.

Recently, he’s been talking about proposing to her. I’m happy for him that he’s found love finally, but my husband and I brought some concerns to him. Before I explain my feelings, I’ll try to explain her backstory. I haven’t tried to be nosy, but my son told me and although Eva hasn’t told us directly, he says she’s pretty open about it in general.

She struggles with mental difficulties and although I don’t know if she was ever formally diagnosed, she shows many signs of PTSD and panic attacks. I don’t know what mental illness runs in her family.
  • Her mother kicked her out a few months before her 18th birthday. With no bank account, ID, car, or job. So she lived with her grandma until she got on her feet to get her own place at 20.
  • Estranged from all of her family except her grandmother. Her grandmother is loud and struggles with her own things. But has always been there for her from what I’m told.
  • She is the third generation to grow up without a father in her family. Her siblings have a different dad. And I guess her mother didn’t even know who Eva’s dad was when she was born.
  • She’s supported herself financially from a young age
  • Her mother struggles with mental illness and was neglectful and abusive
  • Her grandmother has always lived in poverty. I admire that though because she worked three jobs to support her children as a single mother.
  • Her mother lives in a nice house that she got from an inheritance but barley works and never had a full time job in her life.
They’ve been together two years, and we’ve never met any of her family. My son has met her grandmother when he came over while she was still living there. He told me that she was screaming at the neighbors and on the phone all the time.

Because of her broken sense of family, I worry how this will be in the long run. She doesn’t seem to be “much of a family person” When it comes to them starting a family of their own. He told me Eva’s biggest fear is “turning out like her family” and that worries me. Am I the bf for expressing my concerns to him and telling him to “think hard”?

I just have reasonable concerns about her lack of country club memberships, son.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Cowslips Warren posted:

I knew a dude who got engaged, and once that ring was on, he and his lady decided they would be celibate until they got married, even though they'd been loving like mad beforehand. Things being as they are, he needed to take care of himself one night, so he left bed about midnight, sat in the living room and got busy. Of course she woke up when she saw a light on, came out and found him, big fight because he'd been jerking off in front of their fish tank. He ended up getting rid of the fish tank.

INFO: How hot were the fish?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

AITB for telling my son to think hard about proposing to his girlfriend because of her background?

I just have reasonable concerns about her lack of country club memberships, son.

quote:

Her grandmother has always lived in poverty. I admire that though because she worked three jobs to support her children as a single mother.

now don't get me wrong, i admire the poors, i just don't necessarily want my son to marry one

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Theophany posted:

quote:

I’m not religious, my sense of right and wrong doesn’t come from a Bible, but this feels like the equivalent of knowing I’d only date a Christian and telling me he doesn’t believe in Jesus after 6 months of pretending.

(Looking back through her comment history, it seems she's an agnostic Jew, although she does say that her boyfriend is "a believer" and she's not.)

Here's the closest she gets to spilling the beans:

quote:

We do still seem to agree on all human rights issues like views on the lgbt community, abortion, how immigration should be handled, but are further apart on things like whether the country is in a great place where most people have all the rights they deserve, or if there is major inequality, racism, and poverty that need legislative intervention. The disagreement isn’t so much about how people should b treated but whether or not they already are.

Both pro- and anti-abortion advocates describe it as a human rights issue, but I think most people who are against LGBT and immigrant rights would not describe these problems as "human rights issues." So it sounds like one of them is broadly left-leaning and the other is a shitlib "I'm all for civil rights but they're going TOO FAR" type. Notably, she does not mention sexism at all, so I suspect that's the specific sticking point.

The smoking gun:

quote:

Met at work, he’s on the tech side

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Oct 12, 2023

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Ah, he's an Elon stan, got it.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

quote:

I can tell she has a mother wound, 

This turn of phrase gives me the ick.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
That's the first time I've encountered it and I am not a fan.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Cowslips Warren posted:

What's it like being friends with The Deep?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for telling my kids that my MIL hates me, and that’s why I’m not coming on our “family” trip?

So they're just going to pull the kids out of school for two weeks? Not that they're doing anything particularly important in 1st or 2nd grade, but still.

They were also eventually going to start noticing that grandma hates mom.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

The_Franz posted:

So they're just going to pull the kids out of school for two weeks? Not that they're doing anything particularly important in 1st or 2nd grade, but still.

My parents did that with me and my sister at least once a year when we were in grade school, usually for visiting relatives or spring/fall camping trips. It's generally fine as long as you let the teacher know in advance. From grade 4 onwards they'd usually give us some sort of project or homework to do related to the trip we were going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

We've never met any of her abusive family that she hates, huge red flag