Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The only flashlight I need is shooting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Chuk-klik?

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

Shotgun pump noise, I guess?

Here is the full comic, for the three-ish people in this thread who haven't seen it before

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
No I get it's gun sounds it's just weird onomatopoeia.

Doom has a pump shotgun?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
... yeah?

edit

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Aug 15, 2023

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Doom has the most iconic pump shotgun in all of gaming history

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

From my recollection doesn't Unreal 2 also have a really lovely and half baked story too

My thoughts. It isn't like they made the Atlantis, interrupting the action flow, in exchange of a better storytelling...

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

Doom has a pump shotgun?

????

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Turbo Overkill Impressions part Deux

Yeah, this game rocks, despite some of my complaints, play it people. Great art conveying a cyberpunk city being controlled by a AI bio infestation, great flow, cool set pieces like jumping from flying car to flying car at the end of episode 1.
Difficulty wise, I decided to limit myself and not use the +health gain and +armor gain in leg upgrades, they are too good. Now I have to use the normal health kits sometimes, woah! And as addition this way I feel less obligated to use the chainsaw slide constantly. Speaking of, there are pair of new enemies (a flying one, and one that leave toxic waste on the ground upon being damaged) on Episode 2, so the game increases the enemy types that can't be chainsawed easily.

Although, in the segment where you pilot your car, the inverted controls weren't being applied. Really, no one complained of this during EA?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I so rarely use the pump shotgun after getting the good one that I assumed nobody else did either

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The super shotgun also pumps, it's literally just two of the regular shotgun but they added a break action.

No, it doesn't make sense.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Might make more sense than the double shot alt fire in HL

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Milo and POTUS posted:

I so rarely use the pump shotgun after getting the good one that I assumed nobody else did either
Doom 1 exists

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Pump shotgun is great for lower tier enemies at a small distance where the super spread would waste a lot of damage. A couple imps on top of a cliff or something

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Volte posted:

Doom 1 exists

I actually haven't played one very much, almost always 2. I'm talking 99%. But yeah that's right and I assume the comic was made for 1

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Man the standard shotgun whips rear end, why would you not use it

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Regular SG for surgical work, SSG for meat shots

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

shoeberto posted:

Man the standard shotgun whips rear end, why would you not use it
Standard shotgun is great, but I feel like it loses its niche once you have the SSG and Chaingun.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
When you're low on ammo and there are a bunch of imps on a cliff, regular shotgun is key.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The shotgun is actually your sniper

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

Might make more sense than the double shot alt fire in HL

Double shot alt fire in HL is actually the SPAS firing 2 rounds super quick in its semi auto (normal action) as in burst mode. The weird thing is that the SPAS was intended to be semi auto and only pump for certain type of ammo but in HL is pump and... burst? at will. Videogames.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Speaking of Half-Life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTsDpmBC2VE

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Quake 2 64 was cool, it’s like Quake 2 The Arcade Game with the small levels, faster pace, and more colorful environments. I am glad Nightdive left the caves alone so I could experience the full glory of blurry n64 texture work

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Whose idea was it to have seperate saves for single player and coop in the Q2 remaster? Whoever you are you're amazing and I love you.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Guillermus posted:

Double shot alt fire in HL is actually the SPAS firing 2 rounds super quick in its semi auto (normal action) as in burst mode. The weird thing is that the SPAS was intended to be semi auto and only pump for certain type of ammo but in HL is pump and... burst? at will. Videogames.

That's a fine explanation but in game it's definitely dumping the two shells at once, sound be damned. It'd be more believable if it wasn't for all the other glaring gun issues valve packed into the games

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Milo and POTUS posted:

That's a fine explanation but in game it's definitely dumping the two shells at once, sound be damned. It'd be more believable if it wasn't for all the other glaring gun issues valve packed into the games
Gordon never unfolds the drat stock!

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Valve constantly not giving a kentucky fried gently caress about portraying firearms accurately is one of the best aspects of the HL series.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Assepoester posted:

Gordon never unfolds the drat stock!

Gordon learnt his lesson not to gently caress around with advanced technology that you don't understand!

(lol, Gordon actually did not learn this lesson. Surprised he didn't cause more than one apocalypse).

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

if i ever make an FPS I almost want to make tons of inaccuracies to upset gun nerds

My M1 Garand will be clip fed, but the ammo pickups will be called mags, and it will spit out shells when firing. it will make the ping when you run out of ammo, but you'll be able to reload it at any time. (The reload animation will feature one bullet at a time, despite the ammo being called mags)

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Aug 15, 2023

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
really feeling the lack of realism in the ghostbuster gun and the tentacle alien whose rear end i stuck my hand into to make it shoot bugs from its mouth

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Actually those were the only guns that got right

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
It's like some people have never used a ghostbusters gun before.

I don't get it, do they just live with all the ghosts in their house or something?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

dr_rat posted:

It's like some people have never used a ghostbusters gun before.

I don't get it, do they just live with all the ghosts in their house or something?

I have been a die-hard Ghostbusters fan since I was 4, and me getting the "Egon gun" didn't even register that it was supposed to be a positron collider... It barely looked like it, it didn't at all sound like it. Just didn't feel like it. It was nothing more than a blue and orange laser beam. It wasn't even until I tried out multiplayer that I realized it came with a backpack :shrug:

The Egon gun might've been powerful but it sucked at what it was trying to do.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

haveblue posted:

The shotgun is actually your sniper

I generally use it for medium range, I find tapping the chaingun more effective for sniping.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Guillermus posted:

It's a shame and is a game that could use a full remake but then you'll end making it 95% different.

Oh no, it's ut2k4 but instead of dropping back to a menu you go back to a huge base where all the characters live and you can go around and talk poo poo and challenge people to matches to win stuff and form secret alliances like it's wrestling

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

site posted:

Oh no, it's ut2k4 but instead of dropping back to a menu you go back to a huge base where all the characters live and you can go around and talk poo poo and challenge people to matches to win stuff and form secret alliances like it's wrestling

Please don't make it sound awesome

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

site posted:

This sounds awesome

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011

site posted:

Holy poo poo. I'd play the hell out of a single-player arena shooter campaign where in between battles, you could cut insane wrestling promos via dialogue trees.

Edit: also, I started playing Quake III Arena, and I'm genuinely surprised at how much I enjoy the campaign. The bots are convincing and everything just feels good as hell.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Just a friendly reminder that somehow Valve managed to squeeze all of Half-Life 2 onto an XBox disc, and it was impressively faithful. In fact that was my first exposure to the game so as soon as my family got a computer capable of running it when Steam was introduced I skipped straight to Episode 1. Which I attempted to play with a controller. Which was kinda difficult to get working. I was so used to consoles that I rarely used M&KB if there was a controller option. I was forced out of that habit with S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl, and I default to M&KB with any FPS now.

By that same token, Quake on Saturn: How'd they do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Grimthwacker posted:

By that same token, Quake on Saturn: How'd they do that?
They completely rebuilt the game on a different engine (the one used for Powerslave/Exhumed), under the belief that using a Saturn-centric engine would be quicker and cheaper than cramming Id Tech into the Saturn. Which may have been true, per-se, but it certainly wasn't as quick or cheap as hoped and Lobotomy didn't last too much longer afterwards.