Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Full right "felt better" I guess. I tried with the stick in the right hand and it felt wrong. I'm naturally right handed so it was strange. Eh goalies are strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

YeehawMcKickass posted:

I've got an offer to borrow some equipment to give goal a shot, primarily because I want to better understand how a goalie is thinking/acting as a play is developing... so I can get my rear end in the way even better than I already do.

Yes, I'm one of those rear end in a top hat screening large wingers you all hate.

The one equipment thing I really want to poll the thread about is how you arrived at regular vs. full right.

I feel I can catch the puck with either hand, but there was only one way of holding the stick that didn't feel completely wrong. That's the only reason I'm regular and not FR.

Tried on my gear for the first time since losing 30+lbs and a bunch of inches. This winter is going to be /glorious/

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

YeehawMcKickass posted:

I've got an offer to borrow some equipment to give goal a shot, primarily because I want to better understand how a goalie is thinking/acting as a play is developing... so I can get my rear end in the way even better than I already do.

Yes, I'm one of those rear end in a top hat screening large wingers you all hate.

The one equipment thing I really want to poll the thread about is how you arrived at regular vs. full right.

You want your dominant hand holding the stick, unless you're not planning to actively use your stick or can handle it fine with either hand.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

Spookydonut posted:

You want your dominant hand holding the stick, unless you're not planning to actively use your stick or can handle it fine with either hand.

I plan on attempting both ways, but I actually feel like I manipulate my player stick better with my left hand (I'm righty). I know for sure that I catch better with my right hand.

Similar to what Vargatron said.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Glambags posted:

Any general recommendations for chest/arms? I've used a Simmons 996 for the past few years but I think it might be time to upgrade. I've noticed some pretty nasty stingers and rainbow colored bruises (primarily on my arms) when I play against higher level players, and I'll be in a league this year that has some former junior and ncaa players.

Wondering if it's worth a new c/a or maybe getting one of those compression shirt-pad things.

I picked up the first gen Warrior Ritual C/A on clearance when I was noticing some bruises on the arms. I love it, but they're harder to find now and new ones are :homebrew:. From my experience, anything that isn't Reebok is good.

topenga posted:

...I'm in Austin, TX and supposedly there's a goalie drought...

There is. There was a gap around B2 and C1 before the new sheet opened up, then that new sheet coupled with myself moving away (B1) and another goalie moving as well (B2), it's put a pretty good strain on the goalie talent in Austin. For a first set of pads, I'd highly suggest not getting anything that's branded for a butterfly style or has zero breaks to it. That being said, definitely don't try to figure out what style you are at this point. You'll just want to focus on getting in position and stopping the puck, and not dropping on to the face of your legpads. :)

For handedness-chat, I went regular (catch=left) just because I grew up playing baseball as a righty so catching with my left hand was natural. It was also a lot easier to control my stick with my right hand.

Martytoof posted:

I feel I can catch the puck with either hand, but there was only one way of holding the stick that didn't feel completely wrong. That's the only reason I'm regular and not FR.

Tried on my gear for the first time since losing 30+lbs and a bunch of inches. This winter is going to be /glorious/

I hope you wear suspenders on those pants. :v: Congrats on the weight loss. Seems like you've been missing from this thread for a while now. I moved to Seattle, played for maybe three teams as a sub this summer and already got picked up for a permanent team in Div. 3C for the October through April season and had a few other offers in lower divisions. Can't wait to get back on a regular team after only one summer off. I can't imagine how you took that much time off, Marty.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Bradf0rd posted:

I hope you wear suspenders on those pants. :v: Congrats on the weight loss. Seems like you've been missing from this thread for a while now. I moved to Seattle, played for maybe three teams as a sub this summer and already got picked up for a permanent team in Div. 3C for the October through April season and had a few other offers in lower divisions. Can't wait to get back on a regular team after only one summer off. I can't imagine how you took that much time off, Marty.

Yeah, I wore them when I was a fatty too but now they're actually useful :D

I actually took a hiatus for a few years. My regular group disbanded and I didn't bother finding anyone else to play with since, to be honest, I kind of liked my nights free. I'm aching for something to do this winter since I can't run in the snow, and I can't snowboard every week so this is about as good a time to get back into it as any.

I'll have to drive a ways since I'm smack dab downtown Toronto and unless I want to rent out the ACC I'm probably not going to find a rink within walking distance. If anyone else is in the GTA let me know what's good.

I'm probably trash right now so I'll start with the adult low tier pickups. Maybe I'll remember some of this poo poo and move up quickly, who knows.

Duhh which way are the medial rolls on my pads supposed to face :downs:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Sep 15, 2016

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Real talk, suspenders are okay to use. I have like a 30" waist and I have to use suspenders to get a medium to fit. You may have better success if you tuck your pads too.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Vargatron posted:

Real talk, suspenders are okay to use. I have like a 30" waist and I have to use suspenders to get a medium to fit. You may have better success if you tuck your pads too.

Yeah, I tucked. I remember it being real awkward not tucking when I was wearing suspenders.

I also tie my c/a to my pants at the waist but I honestly don't remember if that's a common thing to do or not.

The problem with being tubby and wearing pants with just a waist cinch is that you're essentially trying to put pants on a basketball -- you can tie them as tight as you want but unless you're going to hike them up above your giant belly then they'll slide down 100% of the time. That's why I wore suspenders but now I'm just used to them so I'll keep that going because it's part of my whole getup.

edit: man, I make it sound like I was the size of one of those fat twins on the scooters. I was overweight but never that bad :haw:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Sep 15, 2016

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
I'm weird. I wear suspenders, have a 34" waist, don't tuck, and hook my belt through my C/A. :haw:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm seriously triggered right now

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

topenga posted:

**OMG So much stuff from Vargatron*
I'm in Austin, TX and supposedly there's a goalie drought....

Glad to have you down here, I'm the other goon goalie in the ATX now that Bradf0rd left us. I'm playing goalie over at the B1 5v5 Barn, B2 Chap skate out, and 2 4v4 mixed league teams on Sunday both skating and goalie. Fuzzknot just started playing C2 skating out.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
SAS goaliemen I have a mask fitting/adjustment question for you. I have come in possession of Bauer Profile mask, it appears to me that it has both chin cup AND quite a large amount of chin foam padding.

Additionally the foam padding in the helmet I have seems to be a bit higher up than most pictures I have seen of profile masks, it is essentially flush with the cage opening where as other pictures seem to show it slightly below the opening.

My question for all of you is do your helmets have similar setups? I ask because the amount of space for my chin seems a bit cramped, where as the rest of the helmet fits like a glove. I look at pictures of people wearing 960's and their mouth seems to clearly be above the bottom of the cage opening.

I can do that with the way it is now but there's quite a lot of pressure on my chin, and it is significantly nicer if I let the chin cup hang below my chin (although at that point I think it essentially negates the point of the chin cup). In this situation my chin is essentially flush to the foam padding like my forehead. Do you guys ever re-arrange the foam in your mask? Or could I potentially remove either one of the cup or massive amount of chin padding, or maybe just move the chin foam padding lower?

If I do nothing its not the end of the world, its probably just not that comfortable, or it is more comfortable but my mouth is either covered by the chin portion of the mask (meaning the mask is tilted up ever so slightly), or the chin cup just dangles below my chin essentially becoming useless and my mouth is above the cage opening.

Does that make any sense at all or am I speaking french?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm not certain about Bauer models, but most masks have a chin cup adjustment you can do (if you're not doing this already). Also, the padding in that mask looks very after market. My CCM mask doesn't have nearly the amount of padding and it still fits tight.

If you want to replace the foam, I'd look into Maltese gel packs. You may be able to find something a bit thinner to make the fit more comfortable to you.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
I cut out the chin cup entirely along with any padding below the bottom lip. I replaced the chin padding with a small strip of thinner foam so if I do take a bomb there it wont chip my teeth and it's never been an issue.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Are the GSBB classifieds just not active these days? Not really looking to buy anything specific but the latest post in there is form June 16, then the second oldest is Feb?

Used to be way busier :[

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
Jovial Cow, how dense is that foam? It looks like someone cut out some mattress topper and put it in their mask. I'd at least take out the stuff right below your lips, maybe more. My Hackva mask has just a tiny bit of padding there and a chin cup and covers up most of the mouth.

For me, it really just depends on where you want the cage to sit on your face for a) what's comfortable and b) how well can you see.
Speaking of masks, mine is coming up on six years old and has seen a lot of shots. I'm replacing the cage when it's dented and have replaced the foam once so far. With a shell made out of carbon fiber and whatever else is in a Hackva, do I need to worry about it or will I be good for another while as long as I'm replacing the other parts from time to time?

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
I'm guessing it'll last basically forever.

Still waiting on my masked marvel mask to ship like 6 weeks later.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My NXi mask had all the chin stuff but I pulled it out years ago. No chin strap, no chin padding, no nothing.

I want to get a more conventional looking mask but it's still super safe and I can't justify replacing it. I just don't like the way it looks.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Bradf0rd posted:

Jovial Cow, how dense is that foam? It looks like someone cut out some mattress topper and put it in their mask. I'd at least take out the stuff right below your lips, maybe more. My Hackva mask has just a tiny bit of padding there and a chin cup and covers up most of the mouth.

For me, it really just depends on where you want the cage to sit on your face for a) what's comfortable and b) how well can you see.
Speaking of masks, mine is coming up on six years old and has seen a lot of shots. I'm replacing the cage when it's dented and have replaced the foam once so far. With a shell made out of carbon fiber and whatever else is in a Hackva, do I need to worry about it or will I be good for another while as long as I'm replacing the other parts from time to time?

I don't really have a good comparison point on padding foam density, it's definitely more dense than the foam in my skaters helmet, but its not like it is hard either.

In order to trim that chin padding some I would think I would need to remove the padding from the helmet. Does the adhesive on this stuff continue to work once removed? Or do I just go out and buy some gorilla glue or something else to reattach it.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

Bradf0rd posted:

The foam is starting to deteriorate on my Hackva (5ish years old). The foam where the sweatband velcro and the foam that sits against my right cheekbone have both completely detached and none of the glues I've tried have made them stick for more than 1-2 sessions. I haven't tried any of the more extreme glues - what do you use to get your foam to stay on when you replace it?

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

aejix posted:

The foam is starting to deteriorate on my Hackva (5ish years old). The foam where the sweatband velcro and the foam that sits against my right cheekbone have both completely detached and none of the glues I've tried have made them stick for more than 1-2 sessions. I haven't tried any of the more extreme glues - what do you use to get your foam to stay on when you replace it?

So far, the foam is staying in place with whatever 3M adhesive backing was on the foam. I ordered a new padding kit from Hackva a few months before they went under and it had some adhesive on the back already. It's worked really well after a year of constant use with no spots coming off the mask.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Ahh OK thanks. I'll try aryldite or something if I can't get anything milder to work

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

#16 on a goalie? What the gently caress? I was so loving disgusted by this picture I had to lookp up the Panthers' roster to find out who this heretic was. Imagine my relief when I went to their website and found out it was just because some baseball guy died or something.

Phew... That could have been terrible.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Going to stitch on #69 right now

GET IT BECAUSE OF THE SEX THING

I'll be a rink superstar!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I want 69 because my brothers number is 96 and we think it'll be funny to confuse people.

Everyone thinks its about the sex thing.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
Anyone else ever have their C/A arms be too long and get in the way? I have a size small C/A but the arms still go too far down.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Bradf0rd posted:

Anyone else ever have their C/A arms be too long and get in the way? I have a size small C/A but the arms still go too far down.

My like gen 1 warrior C/A has velco straps at the shoulder to change the length of the arms.

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Anyone have opinions about non-cert cateye vs cert straight bar cages for masks? Been using straight bar without giving much thought to it since that's what my masks have always come with, I'm considering making the switch to cateye.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Glambags posted:

Anyone have opinions about non-cert cateye vs cert straight bar cages for masks? Been using straight bar without giving much thought to it since that's what my masks have always come with, I'm considering making the switch to cateye.

More visibility, but you're going to go through cages more often on average as non-cert cat eyes get dented a lot more.

I'd stick with straight bar if that's what you're used to.

Edit: Also probably avoid titanium cages, there's been some quality control issues.

thengeance
Aug 1, 2013

Glambags posted:

I made the switch a few seasons back. Improvement seems marginal at first, but tracking the puck is much easier for me with the unobstructed field of vision. For the $80 is cost, totally worth it.

I'm not really taking regular shots off the cage, so I can't speak to durability-- fine so far. I'm still rocking a Titanium cage on one of my masks-- was assured that it wasn't one of the Bauer cages that stabs peoples' eyes out.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

thengeance posted:

I made the switch a few seasons back. Improvement seems marginal at first, but tracking the puck is much easier for me with the unobstructed field of vision. For the $80 is cost, totally worth it.

I'm not really taking regular shots off the cage, so I can't speak to durability-- fine so far. I'm still rocking a Titanium cage on one of my masks-- was assured that it wasn't one of the Bauer cages that stabs peoples' eyes out.

Well yeah but also keep in mind that titanium is more brittle than steel.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Spookydonut posted:

My like gen 1 warrior C/A has velco straps at the shoulder to change the length of the arms.

I have those shoulders as tight as they can go.

Glambags posted:

I'd been using cateyes for a couple years after I was getting annoyed with the vision in my certified straight bar cage. I had started to notice I was having issues tracking the puck as I started to play at higher skill levels so I decided it was time for a new cage. Everyone else is right in that they do dent easier and I've replaced a couple after about a year's worth of use with a couple of dents. This year I'm trying the cheater style cage and I have no complaints thus far. The only time I've had a close call with a cateye was in inline hockey on tennis courts where stick blades slowly wore down and someone's had worn down enough to get in the eye hole of the cage. If you're just sticking to rec league ice hockey, you should be fine.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
My Masked Marvel Outlaw 2.0 mask arrived, fits perfectly out of the box, light but solid af.

I'll let you guys know on Wednesday how it performs.

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

I ended up getting a cateye for my bauer profile mask and played my first game with it on saturday. It was my best game of the season so far and my team won 4-1. The lone goal came with 4 minutes left in the game where I got backdoored on some badly blown d coverage. The guy who blew the coverage got thrown out of the game for fighting a minute later, so I'm a little annoyed he didn't drop the gloves a little bit earlier. I actually think I may pick up a cheater cage as well to try it out and just return the one I like less. In any case it seems my days of using a cert straight bar cage are over until I have a close call and get shook as hell

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone had to find replacement toe bridge discs? Where to get them? I have 1 single disc left, and using buttons as replacements has left me with shattered bits of buttons on the ice from taking a direct shot. I'd rather not have to order 4 of those goalie repair kits just to get the discs.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Spookydonut posted:

My Masked Marvel Outlaw 2.0 mask arrived, fits perfectly out of the box, light but solid af.

I'll let you guys know on Wednesday how it performs.

Well two games, some good slap shots straight to the head and one player collision with my head I love it. No ringing in the ears, didn't feel any impacts at all. The only thing is a bit of noise but a lot less than my old helmet.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm copying and pasting this from Reddit, but this is the kind of night I've been having.

quote:

For the first time in my life I had a teammate turn on me during a game and start yelling at me. We were down 5-0 in the second period after allowing 30 shots to our 2 and I had let in a Steve Mason style goal earlier in the game. No big deal right? I'm getting shelled and I made some pretty good saves earlier in the game. The puck starts coming around the net so I hug the post and wait to slide over until I see it coming across and right as I slide to the left post my teammate turns around and starts yelling "FOLLOW THE loving PUCK WITH YOUR BODY!" and slashes me in the pads. I start yelling back to him and tell him to look at the loving shot counter and while we're arguing the puck goes in the net.

I got really close to just skating off the loving ice at that point but I calmed down and stayed in the game. The refs pushed the guy off of me and told him to go to the bench. They were both dumbfounded because they've never seen a player get into his goalie's grill during a play before. One of them asks me if I wanted the guy ejected but I tell him it won't do any good and just finish the game.

My teammate leaves midway through the 3rd period and doesn't stick around the locker room to say anything. I was still pissed off at him but I expect him to be man enough to stay in the locker room and talk things out if needed. My other teammates came up to me after the game and told me not to worry about it, but I'm still pissed off as gently caress about it. I told the team captain that if that poo poo happens again I'm done with the team. I don't have to put up with this poo poo, especially given the fact that we lost 9-0 and were out shot 44-12.

This isn't the first time I've had this guy say poo poo to me during the game but I just chalked it up to him being competitive. I've got pretty thick skin and I can take criticism, but he crossed the line tonight. You NEVER turn on your teammate in any sport especially the goalie. It hosed with my confidence but I finished through a combination of rage and pride.

I'm really considering asking to be put on another team next season. We haven't won a game in two seasons and I've only been playing since last August, but this is the loving D league. I'm out at stick time every weekend and nobody else on my team practices or puts any effort forth. I feel like I'm taking all the blame despite the fact that our goal differential is -38 and we average like 1.5 goals per game. I want to stick it out and support the team, but I'm not going to accept being turned on during a game.

Sorry for the wall of text but I'm still pissed off and needed to vent. Sports are supposed to be fun in the rec league, not a loving player showcase.

Think it's time I found a new team boys.

thengeance
Aug 1, 2013

Vargatron posted:

I'm copying and pasting this from Reddit, but this is the kind of night I've been having.

Think it's time I found a new team boys.

I still can't believe there are people like this that play beer league. The only reason for this kind of abuse is when the person forgets the beer on their day.

"Trade me right loving now"
-D Lemieux

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
That's insane. There's a good chance I would have just left the game immediately to find a new team. The worst I've had is a teammate I was subbing for yell COME ON, WE HAVE TO HAVE THAT SAVE. He apologized after the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE? YOU AIN'T GET THAT FROM ME!
We had one guy say something stupid in the lockerroom once after we won a game and the other teams goalie stood on his head. I think he said he wished we had that goalie or something. This guy wasn't that great and I later figured out he was addicted to steroids and heroin so I kinda just felt bad for him. Giessing the guy who spazzes out about 1 bad goal in a 9-0 game where you're being badly outplayed has some type of mental issues.

• Locked thread