Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Yes, I have one of those from Costco and should probably get a second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Dudes in the Know posted:

Fenix LED headlamp

Awesome suggestion and you're completely right, I've seen them in some youtube videos and never said much more than 'huh, look at that.' Since my dad already has a drop light I went with this instead, and it was in price range. Thanks!

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

literally a fish posted:

Might I also suggest a Fenix LED headlamp as opposed to a work light? They're absurdly bright these days and ridiculously useful, but for some reason nobody thinks to use them for working on cars.

I love my headlamp for working on cars alone at home but in a shop they're usually unacceptable unless the user is very good at policing their lamp any time they're not looking at their work. Dude that shines a "bright as I could afford" lamp in your eyes every time he talks to you is a dude looking for a fight.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

fknlo posted:

Keep an eye out for these at Costco. I don't remember what I paid, but I think it was $20ish. I bought a couple of them. They work well.

Have two of these, one of which is basically on a long-term lend to my buddy with the awesome garage where I go to wrench, and they were both worth the $26.99 (I think) that I paid Costco for them.

Also if you happen to be a Milwaukee M12 guy, these are loving amazing, we use them on every drat job at work, the hook and locking mechanism, light output, and longevity is awesome:

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/cordless/2351-20

Pro option, Streamlight, can't say enough good things about those guys.

E: amazing Streamlight that gets used on all the other jobs, includes super strong magnet built in:

http://www.streamlight.com/en-us/product/product.html?pid=205

spookykid fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 11, 2016

Vulcan
Mar 24, 2005
Motobike
I really wish they sold two of those snap-on lights fixed to the top of a telescoping pole / tripod.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Recommend a calibrated torque wrench? It needs to be professional quality but I don't have Snap-On money to spend. I'm hearing about CDI which is somehow related to Snap-On. I've also heard Precision Instruments. Anyone else? Prefer US made.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Vulcan posted:

I really wish they sold two of those snap-on lights fixed to the top of a telescoping pole / tripod.

Buy a $35-on-sale-at-HF 2xhalogen worklight thing that comes with a stand, throw away the halogens, bolt the snap-ons to the top. Or just buy a light stand and t-bar, but it's probably cheaper to go the HF route.

http://www.harborfreight.com/fixed-dual-head-halogen-shop-light-61540.html <-- this sorta thing. The bracket on the snap-on light should bolt right on (might have to drill a new center-of-bracket hole, is all.)

Edit: there's also these http://www.amazon.com/PowerSmith-PW...s=led+worklight and a lot of similar units. the OEM for the snap-on light appears to be the same as PowerSmith's. They even come in various wattages! http://www.amazon.com/PowerSmith-PW...s=led+worklight

wormil posted:

Recommend a calibrated torque wrench? It needs to be professional quality but I don't have Snap-On money to spend. I'm hearing about CDI which is somehow related to Snap-On. I've also heard Precision Instruments. Anyone else? Prefer US made.

How accurate do you need? I recall being told HF torque wrenches are fine on calibration as long as you consider them semi-disposable.

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jan 11, 2016

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

literally a fish posted:

How accurate do you need? I recall being told HF torque wrenches are fine on calibration as long as you consider them semi-disposable.

It's for helicopters. Needs to be professional quality with a certificate of calibration. Longer story is this isn't for me but a family member. They told me it doesn't need to be Snap-On but it has to be good. I'm pretty sure if they showed up with a HF torque wrench it would be tossed out the door and a major rear end chewing would follow, then months of ridicule. Aircraft folks don't gently caress around with torque specs. All their measurement tools get sent out regularly for calibration.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

A satisfying conclusion to operation: free air

I drilled out the burst disk :nws: and installed a schrader valve, which meant i didn't have to pull the blast nozzle off to refill.

I tried a venturi tip as suggested, it moved more air, but with less speed than the old tip that i gently massaged into a more useful shape. Aired up to 160 psi, it produces a useful amount of air for about 50 seconds, which is enough to do a full computer.

The final result is quite elegant.

Naturally, this doesn't make financial sense if you don't already have all this stuff laying around, but if you do, you, too can free yourself from the grip of big air.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

wormil posted:

CDI is owned by Snap-On. My understanding is all of CDI's latest-and-greatest tech gets the snappy badge and tool truck price tag, while the stuff CDI sells is the basic, last-year's-model type stuff.

IIRC I read that the Snap-On badged stuff is completely US-made, but CDI sources the ratcheting heads from Asia.

I don't think you can go wrong with CDI. There's even a few on Amazon warehouse deals right now

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

wormil posted:

It's for helicopters. Needs to be professional quality with a certificate of calibration. Longer story is this isn't for me but a family member. They told me it doesn't need to be Snap-On but it has to be good. I'm pretty sure if they showed up with a HF torque wrench it would be tossed out the door and a major rear end chewing would follow, then months of ridicule. Aircraft folks don't gently caress around with torque specs. All their measurement tools get sent out regularly for calibration.

Honestly, if he's working on helicopters and his shop doesn't know where to get a torque wrench, :wtc:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

EightBit posted:

Honestly, if he's working on helicopters and his shop doesn't know where to get a torque wrench, :wtc:

I was hoping he was talking about model helicopters, but it seems not... Scary poo poo.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

wormil posted:

Don't be a fool and just get the snap on torque wrenches. They come to you, especially when they hear aircraft maintenance, and they can calibrate your wrench right on the truck. My father in law was a mechanic for Horizon/Alaska and his tool box is a mix of everything from harbor freight to snap on and wera but all of his torque wrenches are snap on (even the one he found in the wing of an aircraft*). When your inspector comes by to sign off on something, you want him/her to trust your work, and even then they are going to check to make sure you torqued the critical bolts down right.

* not surprisingly, no one wants to own up to having left a tool in the wing of an aircraft. He has brought home many nice tools because of this.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Is this just as good as those name brands?

http://www.harborfreight.com/17-ft-type-1a-multi-task-ladder.html

edit - Does Harborfreight change its prices daily? This was $109 last night, and $149 today. I'm looking at a hand truck that was $30 last night and $43 now. Is there a best day of the week to buy from there?

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jan 11, 2016

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
To all the HF lovers: Look it's not for me, I don't work there, I'm not the guy who doesn't want HF torque wrenches in the shop; I'm just trying to help a family member. You can have the HF vs the world debate with someone else. I asked a question and I was somewhat specific. It is what it is. Personally I don't care what brand of tools you use. My personal tools are a mixture. Whether a mechanic should have their own torque wrench, not my fight to have. My "torque" wrench has two settings, one grunt or two.

EightBit posted:

I have no idea where you got the idea the shop doesn't have torque wrenches. This particular shop has all kinds of tools, that doesn't stop the mechanics from wanting their own tools.

El Jebus posted:

They come to you...

* not surprisingly, no one wants to own up to having left a tool in the wing of an aircraft. He has brought home many nice tools because of this.

Except they don't. Snap-on doesn't come to their shop, neither does any other tool truck. Probably because it is an unmarked facility without an address. (seriously, it has no address) They send their torque wrenches out for calibration (don't ask me how they do that without an address).

I don't work on aircraft but I know a lot of people who do. Couple of years ago a guy dropped a nut or something inside the cowling, didn't report it. The next mechanic found and reported it, and the guy who dropped it doesn't work there anymore. The issue wasn't dropping the nut, the issue was not reporting it. I know when they go to the helicopter they count their tools, when they leave they count again. Plus they don't work on an aircraft willy nilly, all work is documented and the mechanic is assigned to specific tasks. With the systems they have, there is almost no way to leave a tool inside and it not be known who it belongs to. You would have to be working on an aircraft you weren't supposed to be working on and doing it without anyone seeing you. Those guys take safety seriously and they like to keep their jobs. I'm sure some places are lax, just not these places I know.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

wormil posted:

I have no idea where you got the idea the shop doesn't have torque wrenches. This particular shop has all kinds of tools, that doesn't stop the mechanics from wanting their own tools.

I have a few friends and family in the aviation maintenance industry, all mechanics. The shop owns all of the torque wrenches every one of them uses at work, and keeps them calibrated. You'll have to excuse me if I think it sounds a bit weird if an aviation mechanic is trying to get their own torque wrench for working on aircraft.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

EightBit posted:

I have a few friends and family in the aviation maintenance industry, all mechanics. The shop owns all of the torque wrenches every one of them uses at work, and keeps them calibrated. You'll have to excuse me if I think it sounds a bit weird if an aviation mechanic is trying to get their own torque wrench for working on aircraft.

Going to completely agree with this. For home mechanic, and really nearly all automotive work, a HF torque wrench is perfectly fine. But in an aerospace environment where everything needs to have a traceable history down to tool calibrations, I wouldn't dream of using a HF wrench.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

EightBit posted:

This is what we do at boeing. All calibrated tools (actually, every tool is owned by the company now) are tested periodically in the tools rooms and are serialized and recalibrated on a yearly or bi-yearly schedule.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

IOwnCalculus posted:

Going to completely agree with this. For home mechanic, and really nearly all automotive work, a HF torque wrench is perfectly fine. But in an aerospace environment where everything needs to have a traceable history down to tool calibrations, I wouldn't dream of using a HF wrench.

The guy who wants the torque wrench doesn't want an HF wrench though.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

SLAMMYsosa posted:

CDI is owned by Snap-On. My understanding is all of CDI's latest-and-greatest tech gets the snappy badge and tool truck price tag, while the stuff CDI sells is the basic, last-year's-model type stuff.

IIRC I read that the Snap-On badged stuff is completely US-made, but CDI sources the ratcheting heads from Asia.

I don't think you can go wrong with CDI. There's even a few on Amazon warehouse deals right now

This. This is why we bought CDI.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

rally posted:

The guy who wants the torque wrench doesn't want an HF wrench though.

Ah, misread it. Still a little weirded out by putting some of that tool calibration / service liability on the mechanic and not the shop itself, though.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

wormil posted:

Except they don't. Snap-on doesn't come to their shop, neither does any other tool truck. Probably because it is an unmarked facility without an address. (seriously, it has no address)

Do people refer to this unmarked facility as "the compound"?

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

KozmoNaut posted:

Do people refer to this unmarked facility as "the compound"?

P.O. Box 1663, Santa Fe, New Mexico?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Dude's obviously working on black helicopters.

Gotta do a backyard headgasket tomorrow and want a non-yardstick straightedge as the root cause is likely a pair of overheats. Anyone have a cheap suggestion or "oh duh" hack for this probably-single-use item? I assume a brand-new metal ruler is not good enough?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

FogHelmut posted:

edit - Does Harborfreight change its prices daily? This was $109 last night, and $149 today. I'm looking at a hand truck that was $30 last night and $43 now. Is there a best day of the week to buy from there?

Can't say for sure but when I needed a ladder, it was way cheaper than most I had seen. I thought it was very nice and I didn't die when I used it to get on my roof. It's fairly light and easy to operate. I was worried it was going to be huge and wouldn't fit in my car when taking it home. It's about 4 feet long and really easy to store. :downs:

They have sales all the time, I think one just expired yesterday.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Splizwarf posted:

Dude's obviously working on black helicopters.

Gotta do a backyard headgasket tomorrow and want a non-yardstick straightedge as the root cause is likely a pair of overheats. Anyone have a cheap suggestion or "oh duh" hack for this probably-single-use item? I assume a brand-new metal ruler is not good enough?

Depending on how long the head is, I really like the ground metal ruler/straightedge that comes in those carpenters adjustable T-squares/levels. Obviously, they max out at 16" long. They're quite straight until you drop them and/or stand on them a couple times.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

EightBit posted:

Yeah it sounds weird.

A calibration only tells you how the torque wrench is performing at time of calibration. The wrench could potentially go wrong right after calibration causing every subsequent fastener to be torqued incorrectly. This would not be picked up until the calibration interval expires and the wrench fails calibration. At which point you have to evaluate the failure and evaluate the risk for every single use of the tool since its last passed calibration. Just how big of a pain in the arse that is combined with what you know about how the tool behaves is how you determine you calibration process and intervals.

So kinda odd they let employees bring in their own tools that require calibration. Since if any employee disappears one day with his wrench how are you going to calibrate it?

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
How can they know the helicopter tech doesn't mistakenly torque the fastener 1/256th of a turn past spec after it clicks???

I think you guys are overestimating the the strictness of the tolerances here.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

stinch posted:

The wrench could potentially go wrong right after calibration causing every subsequent fastener to be torqued incorrectly. This would not be picked up until the calibration interval expires and the wrench fails calibration.

This why there's a rule about dropping torque wrenches (about the only way to gently caress one up outside of gross incompetence) in the aviation world. It gets dropped or banged around, it gets taken out of service until it can go get calibrated again.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

SLAMMYsosa posted:

Thanks, I missed this reply last night.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

FogHelmut posted:

At that $149 price it's not that great of a deal. The cheaper price is good. Not trying to pimp out Costco again, but they usually have a Little giant for $20-30 more than the high price listed there.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

FogHelmut posted:

Even on the best of days, ladders, much like trampolines, have an insatiable thirst for blood. Don't get me wrong, I love harbor freight for their incredible selection of one-off stuff I could never own otherwise, but for something I am literally entrusting my life to, there is absolutely no reason not to spend the extra 19$ and get the real deal instead of some unknown quantity. All it takes is one bad weld, popped rivet, slipped locking mechanism and you're off to the emergency room or worse.

The Werner Multi Position Ladders are absolutely rock solid, mine has been instrumental in replacing windows, painting, cleaning gutters, fixing trim, siding, you name it. I absolutely cannot recommend them highly enough.

E: oh, and their hand trucks, if you get the blue one with oversized tires, try rolling it around the store. Whatever machine they use to attach the wheels can't put them on straight, so one wheel is always noticeably cattywampus. Don't get me wrong, they work great, but out of four people I know who've purchased one (including myself), they all have this same defect, same as every one I've seen in store. But I've used mine to haul a 200lb desk upstairs, and it's held so far, it just doesn't track straight.

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 12, 2016

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

OSU_Matthew posted:

Even on the best of days, ladders, much like trampolines, have an insatiable thirst for blood. Don't get me wrong, I love harbor freight for their incredible selection of one-off stuff I could never own otherwise, but for something I am literally entrusting my life to, there is absolutely no reason not to spend the extra 19$ and get the real deal instead of some unknown quantity. All it takes is one bad weld, popped rivet, slipped locking mechanism and you're off to the emergency room or worse.

The Werner Multi Position Ladders are absolutely rock solid, mine has been instrumental in replacing windows, painting, cleaning gutters, fixing trim, siding, you name it. I absolutely cannot recommend them highly enough.

E: oh, and their hand trucks, if you get the blue one with oversized tires, try rolling it around the store. Whatever machine they use to attach the wheels can't put them on straight, so one wheel is always noticeably cattywampus. Don't get me wrong, they work great, but out of four people I know who've purchased one (including myself), they all have this same defect, same as every one I've seen in store. But I've used mine to haul a 200lb desk upstairs, and it's held so far, it just doesn't track straight.

Actually bought a red one. The one out of the four there that tracked straight. The blue ones either were crooked, or the wheel rubbed on the wide plate. They were only $6 more than the red, but I grew up with a red one and never felt like we needed more, and honestly I preferred the smaller size.

Costco is great though, I'd get a membership if they took something other than Amex. Just used my sister-in-law's card to pick up a bunch of pot light LED retrofits. $26 for two, cheaper than anywhere else I've seen them and with good reviews.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

FogHelmut posted:

Costco is great though, I'd get a membership if they took something other than Amex.

They take cash and debit as well.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Raluek posted:

Rumor has it (and I can't remember where I heard this) that they're switching to Visa some time.

WSJ Paywall ahead! http://www.wsj.com/articles/costco-names-citi-visa-as-credit-partners-1425302174

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It's not rumor, it's fact. April 1 they switch over.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Safety Dance posted:

Rumor has it (and I can't remember where I heard this) that they're switching to Visa some time.

WSJ Paywall ahead! http://www.wsj.com/articles/costco-names-citi-visa-as-credit-partners-1425302174

Well, they ended their deal with Amex. As far as I know, there's no solid word on who they are switching to in April when the Amex contract reaches the end of its rope. But maybe your thing is more up to date from what I've heard?

E: Apparently IOC confirms that the Visa thing is a done deal. Neat.

My point was that you can spend money in ways that aren't credit cards.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Raluek posted:

I need my cash back points.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT
Costco derail: in Canada they switched to Mastercard in 2014.

Also, and I don't know if this works in US stores, but up here they will let you shop without a membership if you are using a gift card. So if you know someone with a membership, then you can borrow their login, buy gift cards online (where they accept all credit cards), and then shop in the store. They will even let you buy in excess of the gift card amount, we bought tons of stuff with a $25 gift card and then just paid the difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

Costco is great though, I'd get a membership if they took something other than Amex. Just used my sister-in-law's card to pick up a bunch of pot light LED retrofits. $26 for two, cheaper than anywhere else I've seen them and with good reviews.

Man, some of you guys have cheaper costcos than I do. I've kept my eye on those LEDs and they're always $30/ea. I finally bought one and it's worth it but still. Same with the SnapOn work light - it's been ~$45 for years and never dropped.

Maybe CA has some stupid LED tax or something; wouldn't surprise me.

And yeah, they're switching to VISA.