Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

SamuraiFoochs posted:

-Bryan, technically (see above)

I love that Bryan's face turn technically happened the following week, when he was no longer with the company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartok
May 10, 2006

I was watching Superstars and noticed that during the JTG vs. Curt Hawkins match that the camera started to shake as the crowd got behind JTG. The same effect happened on Smackdown last night and I have seen it several times in the past. Is shaking intentional or not ?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I doubt it's intentional, because taping from a stable pod means EVERYTHING you shoot can be used and reused (especially in clip packages). A tremendous amount of noise and stomping can shake the arena (especially if it's not built to be sturdy). That'll move the cameras.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!
WWE is so professional I always assume anything that happens more than once is intentional.

Also, there's no way a JTG/Hawkins match shook anything enough to shake something else.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

There's actually a plugin for Adobe After Effects to simulate camera shake due to an earthquake / crowd movement.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Timby posted:

There's actually a plugin for Adobe After Effects to simulate camera shake due to an earthquake / crowd movement.

The Smackdown SHAKE

Horse Pepsi
Aug 26, 2010

by T. Finn

FishBulb posted:

The Smackdown SHAKE

Big Show thinks it's delicious.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

-Masters (yeah I'm counting that)
-Morrison (turned face by getting attacked by Miz)
-Punk (cashing in on Hardy)
-Edge (laptop)
-Show (punched out Miz)
-Heeltista
-Paul Bearer
-Gabriel technically (CLEARLY face on NXT, shows up with Nexus)
-Bryan, technically (see above)

Those are just off the top of my head, and within like, the past year, year and a half.

On an average episode of TNA Impact there will be one or more heel turns that take the form "Face is about to win a match, his best friend punks him out and celebrates with Bischoff and Hogan"

Spideycloned
Aug 5, 2004

Starfleet Dental

In Dear Leader, we trust.

Lamuella posted:

On an average episode of TNA Impact there will be one or more heel turns that take the form "Face is about to win a match, his best friend punks him out and celebrates with Bischoff and Hogan"

Don't forget that that one of the most over people with crowds in TNA right now is ERIC YOUNG. I still cannot fathom this, he seems to get more crowd reaction there than JEFF HARDY. That really is a question that deserves thought, how the gently caress did this happen? You paired a guy with someone who should have destroyed him as a character(Orlando Jordan), and it didn't.

Spideycloned fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Dec 19, 2010

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Spideycloned posted:

Don't forget that that one of the most over people with crowds in TNA right now is ERIC YOUNG. I still cannot fathom this, he seems to get more crowd reaction there than JEFF HARDY. That really is a question that deserves thought, how the gently caress did this happen? You paired a guy with someone who should have destroyed him as a character(Orlando Jordan), and it didn't.

I think of it as Perry Saturn Syndrome. He got given the "Goofy brain damaged idiot" gimmick, and just played it so hard and so well that he made it work brilliantly. Saturn did the same 10 years ago, Moppy is still one of my favourite memories of the early 2000s in wrestling.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I feel terrible for legitimately laughing at some of the stuff Young does.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
gently caress the haters, I like Eric Young.

AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004
To the bubblecraft! Set control to hypochondria!
I'm watching the Raw: The Beginning box set, and I'm wondering why Rob Bartlett was brought in as a color commentator for the premiere of this show. His experience before Raw was a comedian who performed on Don Imus.

First off, he's horrible. He doesn't seem to know much about wrestling or give a poo poo, period. Randomly, he would call matches as Elvis. Or he just doesn't talk for 15 minutes at a time (which was for the best). The Flair/Perfect Loser Leaves Town match has Vince actually prompting him to say SOMETHING during the match.

I can understand bringing in new talent to cultivate them, but it's a new full-fledged show steering away from the pre-taped material with Prime Time. Why wouldn't they want their best talent front and center with Heenan and use Superstars or PPV pre-show to give this guy some training? Then, if they knew Heenan was leaving, promote Bartlett to the table.

If I had to make a guess, Vince wanted cross-promotion from Bartlett's job on Imus? At least with Adamle, he had some sports broadcasting experience but unfortunately suffered from memory issues due to his sports football career.

Finally, I feel like they should bring back plaid lumberjack shirts for wrestlers around the ring during lumberjack matches.

AKA Driver fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Dec 19, 2010

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Serious wrestling question: Why do people here call Beth Phoenix and Natalya fat?

I know that the WWE has been force feeding us model-esque divas for years now but in what world (Other than the WWE universe) are these women fat?

Or is it just :goonsay:

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Serious wrestling question: Why do people here call Beth Phoenix and Natalya fat?

In the WWE world of today, they look fat. Especially when you have a loving stick like Michelle McCool making fat jokes about them.

Honestly, they have a similar physique to Trish Stratus, who was never considered out of shape. But since Trish was replaced by food terrorists like Michelle McCool, someone like Beth looks fat in WWE's Universe.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Mr. Carlisle posted:

They don't know what muscle is.

But seriously, just look at that huge layer of fat on Beth's upper-arm, around her bicep.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Pneub posted:

But seriously, just look at that huge layer of fat on Beth's upper-arm, around her bicep.

It's even worse in this picture.

I mean seriously, you don't have John Morrison going around calling John Cena fat.

Though that would be kind of hilarious.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
It's because wrestling is awful towards women.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Writer Cath posted:

I mean seriously, you don't have John Morrison going around calling John Cena fat.

I would actually be entertained if Cody Rhodes started doing that. "Forgot how to do sit-ups, Edge?"

EDIT: I recall Carlito and Chris Jericho once commenting on each others fat.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Writer Cath posted:

It's even worse in this picture.

Any excuse to repost this:

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Mr. Carlisle posted:

The large jaws and the big boobs give the appearance that they are bigger than they are. Jillian had the same problem.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Wait, who here is calling them fat?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Wait, who here is calling them fat?

Yeah I don't recall ever seeing that, though it wouldn't surprise me because the Internet is full of terrible, terrible people who are dumb.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah I don't recall ever seeing that, though it wouldn't surprise me because the Internet is full of terrible, terrible people who are dumb.

I've seen the comments made a few times about Beth and Natalya and it's usually the same few people but I'm really not interested in the argument that would ensue by calling people out, etc. I'll just agree that it is dumb and consider my question answered.

Mickie James gets alot of comments like that in TNA threads when she's on screen and I don't really understand that either. It's harder to tell due to her terrible and unflattering ring gear but she doesn't look like she's overweight or anything.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 19, 2010

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I've seen the comments made a few times about Beth and Natalya and it's usually the same few people but I'm really not interested in the argument that would ensue by calling people out, etc. I'll just agree that it is dumb and consider my question answered.

Mickie James gets alot of comments like that in TNA threads when she's on screen and I don't really understand that either. It's harder to tell due to her terrible and unflattering ring gear but she doesn't look like she's overweight or anything.

Mickie James specifically had an entire Diva storyline about being fat last year(Was it a year ago?) in the WWE. Michelle McCool and crew calling her Piggie James.

Honestly, none of these women are overweight by any scale except runway modeling, and that's just because those women are skin and bones. I remember seeing the Piggie James storyline and thinking how much of a stretch that was for a storyline.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
The absolute worst was the one they did with Molly Holly where she was the heel. Basically, Molly was an averaged sized, healthy woman, being taunted by an audience full of obese wrestling fans for having junk in her trunk.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 19, 2010

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Remember it was LayCool doing it, it was SUPPOSED to be them being ridiculous because they're mean bitches, and not realistic in any way.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

KGBAgent185 posted:

Mickie James specifically had an entire Diva storyline about being fat last year(Was it a year ago?) in the WWE. Michelle McCool and crew calling her Piggie James.

Honestly, none of these women are overweight by any scale except runway modeling, and that's just because those women are skin and bones. I remember seeing the Piggie James storyline and thinking how much of a stretch that was for a storyline.

Things like this are why I asked. I didn't know if there had been an actual storyline helping people along with these comments or if it was just 'goons being goons' or whatever you want to call it. I must have missed both the Piggie James storyline and Laycools harassment of divas for being fat. The only thing I remember them saying during their harassment was "Smelly Kelly" because of how ridiculous the insult was. Having super thin women call normal sized women fat is probably not the best way to be a 'strong, smart and sexy diva' or whatever kind of role model they are making them out to be for girls this week. It would make sense of they were saying things like that to an Awesome Kong type larger woman character that then proceeded to toss them from one side of the ring to another for their insults.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 19, 2010

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Beth's ring gear isn't very flattering to her figure.

There were a couple pictures that showed Mickie developing a noticeable gut. Not actually fat, but she looked like she was starting down that road.

Of course, this forum had a 50+ page thread full of nothing but Matt Hardy fat jokes, when he could be described the same way.

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008
It's a joke, made based on the fact that the standard for WWE women seems to be "stick thin with minimal musculature," and so Natalya and Beth appear to be rather large by comparison.

I seriously doubt that anyone here actually believes that they are fat, and almost every comment I have ever seen made about them being "fat" is followed by an :rolleyes: or a :goonsay: or some other sarcasm-noting emoticon.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Has El Generico ever worked heel? He seems like basically one of the most naturally face guys imaginable.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Has El Generico ever worked heel? He seems like basically one of the most naturally face guys imaginable.

Steen and Generico worked heel when they feuded with the Briscoes in ROH, although the heeling was 1% Generico and 99% Steen.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

CSammich posted:

Of course, this forum had a 50+ page thread full of nothing but Matt Hardy fat jokes, when he could be described the same way.

With him it's always hilarious. I'm not sure why, it just inherently is.

Faxman
Feb 27, 2009

Pneub posted:

Because everything about Matt Hardy is a loving trainwreck, and he's not only oblivious about what an idiot he is, but he revels in it too. It's not like he's even enormously fat, but he has gotten pretty well out of shape (especially for a professional athlete) and not making fun of him seems wrong somehow.

E: Calling strong and athletic women fat because you can't count their ribs through a shirt is really stupid though.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Pneub posted:

That's because Matt is a delusional moron whose every action breeds contempt from sane, rational people. He's fun to pick on because there's really no way of defending the guy.

edit: beaten, but still worth saying.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Jerusalem posted:

Remember it was LayCool doing it, it was SUPPOSED to be them being ridiculous because they're mean bitches, and not realistic in any way.

Are... are you saying that Kelly isn't actually smelly?

Also, Matt was getting pretty fat.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Pneub posted:

My wife and I call those "hey baby's", 'cause when chicks wave at some dude all "hey, baby!" they flap in the breeze. It's horrifying. Only chicks have 'em.

Burrito posted:

Also, Matt was getting pretty fat.
Evidently he couldn't digest red meat properly and that was the effect it had on him.

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Dec 20, 2010

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

Evidently he couldn't digest red meat properly and that was the effect it had on him.

There's a way to avoid that happening!

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.
I think the worst "fat diva" angle may be Molly Holly. She was a heel being made fun of for having a fat rear end. Except she had no rear end whatsoever.

Lone Rogue posted:

In the WWE world of today, they look fat. Especially when you have a loving stick like Michelle McCool making fat jokes about them.

Supposedly McCool actually was hospitalized at one point due to being underweight. She may have been popped by the wellness policy before they started releasing names, I remember Victoria was.

LividLiquid posted:

My wife and I call those "hey baby's", 'cause when chicks wave at some dude all "hey, baby!" they flap in the breeze. It's horrifying. Only chicks have 'em.

I believe the accepted term is "bat wings."

Jerusalem posted:

There's a way to avoid that happening!

Yes, it's call "getting surgery for an abdominal injury you have until working through it until your intestines drat near pop-out and worrying about losing your spot as if you aren't guaranteed to be in the mid-card forever regardless of an increase or decrease in popularity." It is a wordy name for a treatment so I guess I can forgive him for not knowing about it.

WeaselWeaz fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 20, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

WeaselWeaz posted:

Yes, it's call "getting surgery for an abdominal injury you have until working through it until your intestines drat near pop-out and worrying about losing your spot as if you aren't guaranteed to be in the mid-card forever regardless of an increase or decrease in popularity." It is a wordy name for a treatment so I guess I can forgive him for not knowing about it.

did you mean instead of