Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

Heavens me, just look at the time

ReindeerF posted:

Hey Tao freaks, figured you'd like this:

http://bk.asia-city.com/travel/news/thai-island-ranked-top-10-in-the-world

Also, this means your beach paradise is basically over. Regards.

It's alright. The hardcore group will probably just migrate down to some other island somewhere and set up shop. The cycle begins anew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Since you all are talking about food, here are some random food pics from my ~~*WiNd0Ws pH0Ne*~*`~

Khao Kaa Moo

Bami Moo Geow Moo Daeng

Roasted honeycomb. Tasted like chocolate coated raisins.

VVV - Sheep-Goats: You just bust a piece off and gnaw on it

Ringo R fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Feb 20, 2014

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Chair Huxtable posted:

It's alright. The hardcore group will probably just migrate down to some other island somewhere and set up shop. The cycle begins anew.
Maybe they'll be so stoned that they'll accidentally move to Koh Kret.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Do they squash the juice out of that honeycomb or do you just bust a piece off and gnaw on it?

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

ReindeerF posted:

Hey Tao freaks, figured you'd like this:

http://bk.asia-city.com/travel/news/thai-island-ranked-top-10-in-the-world

Also, this means your beach paradise is basically over. Regards.

As a regular visitor for the past (holyshit is it really this long already?) 7 years it's changed so much as to be nearly unrecognisable from my first visit, and quite different from year to year and even quarter to quarter. It's still a great place but it's not as awesome as it once was.

The island simply doesn't have the infrastructure to support more tourists. Where are they going to find non sucky electricity, useful amounts of water, reliable telecommunications, and roads that are better than trails? We have beer shortages when the ocean is bumpy and the food situation isn't far behind. There's no more than a few days bottled drinking water stockpiled, but there are a couple of reverse osmosis filters that can help turn the non existent well water into slightly palatable drinking water.

The island is already at an unsustainable capacity. There was a water shortage way back in 2008 and it's been ongoing since. Maybe they can run some underwater water pipe with the underwater fibre and electricity cables that are apparently coming soon? The airport being built on Koh Phangan won't help, either. Expect ten million boorish "new money" Russians who still argue about every dollar as though it's their last.

It's such a beautiful place... it's really sad to see people like me ruining the place.

Finch! fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Feb 20, 2014

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Finch! posted:

It's such a beautiful place... it's really sad to see people like me ruining the place.
Yeah, first rule of living here is, "Pull up the ladder behind you!" then we have to go and post threads like this, heh.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

ReindeerF posted:

Yeah, first rule of living here is, "Pull up the ladder behind you!" then we have to go and post threads like this, heh.

I have conversations like this all the time:

:allears: "So, Finch!, you spend a lot of time in Thailand, right? Where... and why?"

:v: "Koh Tao, in the Gulf of Thailand. It's my second home. I love the place."

:allears: "What's so good about it? I'm going to Thailand, should I go there?"

:v: "Go there. Don't be one of the assholes who stay for four days and then gently caress off, stay for a week or two and learn to love the place. It's got everything - scuba diving, good eating, hilarious drinking, rock climbing, paintball, Swedish girls, paddle boarding, international DJ's, you can party as much or as little as you want, you can go sailing, fishing, snorkelling with sharks, diving with whale sharks, you can learn Thai or learn cooking or learn trapeze or learn anything, if you fit in you're treated like family but if you're a dick then you'll be sent away on the next boat. There's also some great places to stay with awesome views, epic live music, and if you stay longer than a few days and you're a regular in any one places then you're part of the family and you'll be invited to all kinds of crazy events before you know it."

:allears: "Tell me more!"

:v: There are epic view points, some with bars that are only open whenever the bar owner feels like it. If you explore the island you find some really crazy poo poo, like some caves or a whale shark skeleton or ramshackle bars built on cliffs over the ocean accessible only by boat, or an abandoned resort, or a dam with the best view in the world. It's like a true Robinson Crusoe/Castaway/off-the-grid place where cool people seem to congregate and make live music bars, ramshackle beach bars, bars in trees, boxing gyms in the middle of the jungle, aquaponics, whatever."

:allears: "Sounds great I'm going to visit!"

... six weeks later....

:allears: "Finch! I hated Koh Tao. It was full of tourists and the food sucked!"

:v: "Did you stay for a while? Did you listen to any of my advice? Did you spend all your time at Sairee? Did you go diving? Did you go to any of the restaurants I recommended?

:allears: "Oh we didn't have time to stay longer than three days. We couldn't get to any of the places you suggested because we kept walking along the main beach part at Sairee. Three days wasn't enough time to go diving. Motorbikes are hard. Taxis are expensive. We didn't want to go to the other parts of the island because there's nothing there. The restaurants you recommended were busy or looked intimidating or were more than a ten second walk from the beach, so we just ate at Random ThaiSeafoodBurgerItalianSteak Place every night." Either that or they stayed at some random bullshit place with nothing nearby and had no way or inclination to get to anywhere else on the island.

:v: :sigh: :argh:

Most people don't get the place. I don't know if Australians are hoping for some kind of Phuket lite rather than some kind of Neverland. It's nothing like Phuket Lite.

I really really really hope that, despite my best efforts to the contrary, everybody I give recommendations to never goes back. If they don't appreciate the place enough to explore it, or at least investigate the recommendations of someone who (has) live(d/s) there, then gently caress 'em. They aren't the type of people who will embrace the island, they're more the type of people who will want to make it more like wherever they're from.

There's something about Koh Tao I don't really know how to describe. It's kind of an outpost of hilarious and awesome and kind of alternative but down to earth and productive people, who go there looking to do something useful. The idiots are made to feel unwelcome fairly quickly. It's a tropical Neverland, and a multicultural community awesome people. I love it.

Finch! fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Feb 20, 2014

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoygPJevn-Q

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

CronoGamer posted:

Usually the places which say that have a live tarantula there which the people are taking photos with. Surely that's what it was, right? Not trying to charge you $5 when you could just buy it for $1 and throw it away if you wanted after?

Ahahaha, no. He was trying to charge us USD 5 to take a photo of a cart full of deep fried tarantulas. You could either buy one and take a picture of it for USD 1, or take his whole cart for USD 5. When I pointed at the sign he got mad so we had to walk away really, really briskly.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

I'm going to be going to Perhentian for diving in a month or so with Panorama diverts. Anyone here dived there before? It sounds like it's a very, very quiet place with some pretty but very relaxed diving. I've been offered a 4 day 8 dive package that seems pretty laid back from my experience of diving trips but might be good as I haven't dived in over a year.

Is this an accurate impression? Is that pretty typical for diving in this part of the world? Should I be allowing for a day or so traveling either side? I'm getting the impression that I'm used to doing stuff on a tighter schedule trying to got more in than these guys are used to :everythinginsoutheastasia.txt:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
BANGKOK NEWS NOW...

We are actually getting a decent loving band. It must be a hoax. Maybe there's a DJ Explosions playing at Sky Bar and it's all a mixup, as we only get DJs and washed up hacks. Anyway:

http://bk.asia-city.com/events/news/explosions-in-the-sky-play-bangkok-april

quote:

If brooding tracks like "Your Hand in Mine" or "First Breath after Coma" mean anything to you, this news should get you going.

Post-rock masters Explosion in the Sky are Bangkok-bound and will perform live at Moon Star Studio this April 29.

Formed in Austin, Texas in 1999, the band has released six studio albums, including the critically-acclaimed Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place in 2003.

Now those in awe of the "cathartic mini-symphonies" sound as described by the band get ready, as tickets will be on sale soon on Thaiticketmajor.
Take heed, because I am a lyrical poet.

EDIT: Oh and we get Taylor Swift, but I can't stand that poppy country garbage, so I don't consider her a decent act. Last month was Avril Lavigne c u l8r boi, so given Beiber's current trajectory we'll probably get him soon. It'll be good for him, he can run over people in a Ferarri here with no consequences.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Feb 21, 2014

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

MrNemo posted:

I'm going to be going to Perhentian for diving in a month or so with Panorama diverts. Anyone here dived there before? It sounds like it's a very, very quiet place with some pretty but very relaxed diving. I've been offered a 4 day 8 dive package that seems pretty laid back from my experience of diving trips but might be good as I haven't dived in over a year.

Is this an accurate impression? Is that pretty typical for diving in this part of the world? Should I be allowing for a day or so traveling either side? I'm getting the impression that I'm used to doing stuff on a tighter schedule trying to got more in than these guys are used to :everythinginsoutheastasia.txt:

Perhentians are nice, never dived but I did stay there for a few days last year. It's pretty relaxed and the actual islanders are nice and friendly. It's pretty much all resorts though. It's quite a trip from KL depending on how you're getting there and is in one of the nicest areas in peninsular Malaysia for beaches/diving etc. I did some snorkelling there and it was pretty fantastic, the water is clear and on one of the smaller islands you could walk five feet off the beach into swarms of clown fish. Ther are two large islands and tons of water taxis that you can hire per trip or for a day. Sorry I can't help out with the diving part but I've heard it's pretty good from friends.

On the travelling part, how are you getting there and from where? It can take a few hours to a day depending on what you're doing.

ReindeerF posted:

BANGKOK NEWS NOW...

We are actually getting a decent loving band. It must be a hoax. Maybe there's a DJ Explosions playing at Sky Bar and it's all a mixup, as we only get DJs and washed up hacks. Anyway:

EDIT: Oh and we get Taylor Swift, but I can't stand that poppy country garbage, so I don't consider her a decent act. Last month was Avril Lavigne c u l8r boi, so given Beiber's current trajectory we'll probably get him soon. It'll be good for him, he can run over people in a Ferarri here with no consequences.

Concerts and stuff are hideously expensive for superstars in Malaysia. I'm presuming the prices are close to if not the same as what you would pay in the US. That is when they don't get cancelled because some retarded malay NGO decides that it is ungodly and a danger to the moral fabric of society.

I think that's why most of the bigger acts just go to Singapore instead.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

pomegranates posted:

This is the first I've heard of it being dangerous. The places I most want to visit (the Sangihe Taulud island chain) are pretty squarely in the boonies. Should I be worried (I'm a woman, if that's at all relevant)? For those not in the know, this guy's photos should explain why I want to go there.

Also, I'm currently brushing up on my Bahasa Indonesia and "pisang goreng" is one of the first things I memorised, right after "gunung berapi".

I wouldn't suggest going by yourself but I'd say this to anyone going anywhere foreign, regardless of gender, unless you're going to already known tourist destinations.

Also, DO NOT buy the booze. Even if they're in bottles. Wait until you get to a big city and buy them from bars or restaurants. There's already multiple reports *this year alone* of tourists getting ethanol poisoning due to drinking random booze bought from some random shack. Last I heard was a couple of Americans. The girl died and the guy got blinded.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

wid posted:

I wouldn't suggest going by yourself but I'd say this to anyone going anywhere foreign, regardless of gender, unless you're going to already known tourist destinations.

Also, DO NOT buy the booze. Even if they're in bottles. Wait until you get to a big city and buy them from bars or restaurants. There's already multiple reports *this year alone* of tourists getting ethanol poisoning due to drinking random booze bought from some random shack. Last I heard was a couple of Americans. The girl died and the guy got blinded.
Yeah a bunch of staff from my old office hit up this dodgy bar in Gili Trawangan and one of them ended up going blind for three days. Never trust the booze in Indonesia, unless it comes from a big supermarket, or a reputable bar/restaurant in the city. Since most Indonesians don't drink, they really don't give a poo poo what goes in those bottles.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Concerts and stuff are hideously expensive for superstars in Malaysia. I'm presuming the prices are close to if not the same as what you would pay in the US. That is when they don't get cancelled because some retarded malay NGO decides that it is ungodly and a danger to the moral fabric of society.

I very seriously considered flying from Siem Reap to Singapore to see Pitbull live in concert by myself. But I decided that was a bit ostentatious and flashpackery so I didn't.

Also when I told people of my plan to see Pitbull I got a few looks of disbelief and several more of pity. I like Pitbull ok :(

edit: Bwahahaha I'm in a bar in Chiang Mai and Pitbull came on as soon as I hit post. What is there to do in Chiang Mai which is a bit more interesting than the usual temples and elephants stuff? I'm going to the horse racing tomorrow - run by the army apparently and every single race is fixed; everything is done in Thai as well - so that sort of thing? Will probably go to the Muay Thai as well if I can find one which isn't a complete tourist trap.

duckmaster fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Feb 21, 2014

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

ReindeerF posted:

BANGKOK NEWS NOW...

Um, ok. Looking forward to see you in skinny jeans with the other post rock hipsters. Probably will be a discount if you turn up on a fixie.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

MrNemo posted:

Perhentians is near Redang Island, which is a tourist blackhole now and I'd strongly suggest not bother going to the latter. More than a decade ago, they made this Taiwan-HK film (Summer Vacation? The Chinese will call it "Mo Mo Tea/Cha") that was insanely popular, and they built a resort around the film set and all the people from China/Taiwan/HK will go there and just gently caress everything up.

They recently made a sequel to that film at Lang Tengah, one of the Perhentian island bits and I'm kinda hoping it doesn't turn into a tourism shithole too. I think there's a spa resort there.

Perhentian islands are generally relaxing as hell, way quieter than you'd expect for a place with a reasonable number of tourists. For snorkelling, corals have gone a little bleached nowadays, but diving is apparently still good. Local divers are fun to hang out with and regardless of the whole Muslims Should Not Touch Alcohol bullshit, the'll be those who are perfectly willing to go out drinking.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Ringo R posted:

Um, ok. Looking forward to see you in skinny jeans with the other post rock hipsters. Probably will be a discount if you turn up on a fixie.
I'll borrow one from some hipster jerk! They're from where I went to school in Texas, man, it's patriotic. Also, they're good and Friday Night Lights OKAY.

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Could be, yeah. I'm assuming the economics don't make sense or they'd do it. I think the only reason we get anyone is because it's Bangkok and that squares with us mostly getting slightly creepy old men, heh.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

Ok what you guys have said matches up with what the dive shop/wikitravel was telling me about the place. Quiet is ok even if I do feel the need to live up to having British SAC diving qualifications by binge drinking every night of a dive trip (quiet will probably be good). I was planning on flying to Kota Bahu or Kuala Terengganu (probably just depending on which is cheapest unless there's any real difference in how easy/long either is?) and getting the bus to Kuala Besut to get a ferry to the island. The only realy question I've got on that front is whether I can make it in for the diving in one night, possibly staying overnight at Bahu and getting an early morning ferry, or if I should budget an extra day of holiday for travelling there since I work lateish and so can't take a half day for travel.

I looked at the bus but a 7-9 hour journey to get there isn't really worth it if I'm going to be diving. I don't want to spend the first day knackered and grumpy although it may be tempting to try getting it back as it could mean taking one day less holiday and I wouldn't have to stick around Perhentian for an extra day before flying. Ah deciding between using vacation days or taking a 9 hour, overnight bus journey and then working. Almost makes me want to take a 6 months career break and just go diving somewhere awesome.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

I didn't catch the "travelling to Perhentian" question. Fly to Kota Bharu - it's closer to Besut. Then take a cab or bus there, and take one of the small ferries/speedboats there. Do not take the barge (which I think doesn't go from Besut) because that is a goddamn nightmare from a Mad Max movie and you don't want to be in that poo poo. I don't know the schedules off my head (check out not just Airasia, but also Firefly and Malindo airlines), but the ideal time is that you step out from the plane, take a bus/cab to Besut - which should NOT be 7-9 hours, probably 3 or so - arrive in Besut before 9, catch a speedboat that takes about 1-1.5 hours, and you'll be there around lunch hour.

If you are driving from Kuala Lumpur, then it COULD be 7-9 hours.

E: I haven't been to Perhentian/Besut since 2012, but I recall there are dive shops in Besut you can schedule trips at?

The Saddest Rhino fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Feb 21, 2014

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

MrNemo posted:

Ok what you guys have said matches up with what the dive shop/wikitravel was telling me about the place. Quiet is ok even if I do feel the need to live up to having British SAC diving qualifications by binge drinking every night of a dive trip (quiet will probably be good). I was planning on flying to Kota Bahu or Kuala Terengganu (probably just depending on which is cheapest unless there's any real difference in how easy/long either is?) and getting the bus to Kuala Besut to get a ferry to the island. The only realy question I've got on that front is whether I can make it in for the diving in one night, possibly staying overnight at Bahu and getting an early morning ferry, or if I should budget an extra day of holiday for travelling there since I work lateish and so can't take a half day for travel.

I looked at the bus but a 7-9 hour journey to get there isn't really worth it if I'm going to be diving. I don't want to spend the first day knackered and grumpy although it may be tempting to try getting it back as it could mean taking one day less holiday and I wouldn't have to stick around Perhentian for an extra day before flying. Ah deciding between using vacation days or taking a 9 hour, overnight bus journey and then working. Almost makes me want to take a 6 months career break and just go diving somewhere awesome.

Getting a taxi is also an option. Kuala Besut is closest to Kota Bharu though so take that into consideration (50km compared to 110km) When I went, I flew to Kota Bharu and taxi'd to Kuala Besut. It took around an hour. Bus will be a lot cheaper but taxi means you don't need to wait around. After that you'll get a boat that takes another bit to get out to the islands (the two main ones are literally called big and small) which is relaxing after the flight. If you an spare the time, you could fit in some time to visit the cities to see what things are like in the more rigidly muslim areas of Malaysia. Nasi Dagang is the speciality here but any seafood dishes should be good.

If you are booking a resort/dive excursion in advance you should be able get them to book your boat ride to and from kuala besut as part of it.

Travelling there in total is going to take the guts of half a day between airport shenanigans and actually getting to the island. Unless you're doing a night dive I doubt you'll be able to fit one in and if you're flying you probably shouldn't diving on the same day anyway.

lemonadesweetheart fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Feb 21, 2014

pomegranates
Oct 16, 2012

wid posted:

This is a pretty strange view to me, but each to their own I guess. I only ever travel solo these days and generally try to stray off the beaten path as much as possible. I'm not dead yet!

I don't drink while travelling though, so maybe that helps.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Probably wear pants, too!

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

Thanks again for the answers! Barring any other advice from the dive resort I'll probably fly to kota bahu after work and spend the night there then try to get a bus or taxi to Kuala best the next day and see if I can get the first day of diving. Promise to try and get pics for people after the trip :-)

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

ReindeerF posted:

Explosions in the Sky

Hah, how random. An opportunity to relive the good old days of their $5 sets at Mary Jane's. Strangely, I think the singer of ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead lives in Phnom Penh. Southeast Asia is becoming the backyard of Texas.

cadenza
Dec 25, 2006

integrity
So I'm about to head up to the Chatuchak market after lunch and I'm eager to find some people who aren't 18 year old Australians who are just here to drink - if anyone is in BKK this weekend drop me a line!

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

cadenza posted:

So I'm about to head up to the Chatuchak market after lunch and I'm eager to find some people who aren't 18 year old Australians who are just here to drink - if anyone is in BKK this weekend drop me a line!
Yo! Apologies, missed your earlier message. I'm slammed today and tomorrow and out of town on business Monday and Tuesday, but I'll be around later in the week if you're around then. If not, maybe catch you on your way back through!

As always, you can catch me at reindeerf@outlook.com.

Barfolemew
Dec 5, 2011

Non Serviam
Hey, ReindeerF, i'm in Bangkok from 2nd to 8th of March. I'll buy the first round if don't have nothing better to do and have some time to hang with random Finnish dude. I'm based at Sukhumvit soi 18 and don't really have any huge plans, would be cool to finally meet some goon(s). 38 years old so the party scene is pretty much over for me, i do like to drink some beers and people watch.

Is there a mobile provider that works in Cambodia too? With 3g? That i can buy from bangkok.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
You'll have to get the mobile phone from Cambodia, but it's pretty straightforward. Look for an orange shop front with cellcard/mobitel on it and tell them you want 3G and $5 credit or $10 or whatever. Then stand there and politely indicate/say they should install and test it. Don't leave until it works and you can download poo poo. Credit lasts forever unless you're streaming movies. I usually give them an extra $1 or something because it's only $1.

As for meeting up for beers, I have another trip on the 2nd/3rd, but after that, yeah, let's go stab people together and then use veefee in the sauna! I know a couple of decent places to grab a cheap beer around there. I'm about the same age.

EDIT: If you're crossing by land border at Poipet, just past the throng of touts trying to force you onto a bus, on the right in the traffic circle, there's a mobitel/cellcard shop I've used a few times. Honest, helpful and so on. If you're flying in, don't get one at the airport. Get to town and ask your guesthouse owner where the closest shop is. Someone there will point you to it, or put you on a moto - though they're rarely out of walking distance.

Barfolemew
Dec 5, 2011

Non Serviam
Cool.

I'll send you a email when i land. I'll buy a thai sim card at the airport and then hunt one down one in Cambodia. Friend catches up on me on the 7th of March, and we will be flying over to Siam Reap on the 10th with Air Asia.

Barfolemew
Dec 5, 2011

Non Serviam
Aand. Is super rich still the best place to exchange euros to dollars? And do they give smaller bills too? I have never been to Cambodia and i guess i need smaller bills too. So is there a place to get 1, 5 and 10 dollar bills.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, Superrich is still the best and must be some kind of money laundering operation, heh. There are a number around town, with maps on their website. I've always been able to get small bills, but you can change bills at money changers in Cambodia for a small fee. You'll need to take some 20s and things, but realistically you'll be using a few twenties for transportation and accommodation costs, so don't worry about getting all small bills.

Also, there are ATMs everywhere in Cambodia if that's how you're getting money and they dispense lovely American freedom in the form of US Dollars.

cadenza
Dec 25, 2006

integrity
Thanks man, if I'm still here on Wednesday I'll drop you a line. I am currently waiting for a new bank card to arrive so can't actually leave BKK until it gets here.

It seems that the market at chatuchak turns into a bit of a sauna in the afternoon. I thought I was used to the climate by now as well :|

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

cadenza posted:

Thanks man, if I'm still here on Wednesday I'll drop you a line. I am currently waiting for a new bank card to arrive so can't actually leave BKK until it gets here.

It seems that the market at chatuchak turns into a bit of a sauna in the afternoon. I thought I was used to the climate by now as well :|

Hey, check out Talad Rot Fai (Train Market) instead. It's a night market so a bit cooler and less touristy. It's a bit of a pain to get to but it's a neat market with food and drinks. Take Airport Rail Link to Hua Mak then just catch a taxi or bus from there. I might go there tonight or tomorrow night if you want to join.

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

I have a work trip to Singapore in a couple weeks, and I am considering taking the week before off to hang out in another country in SE Asia. I have been to Thailand before, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I enjoyed Chiang Mai more than the beaches.

My options are essentially limitless for the week, but I'd like to make the trip logistically convenient. I am thinking Phillipines- it has direct flighs from LAX and to SIN, and I don't see a reason id be there in the future (it's not included in the Vietnamese, Cambodia, etc typical SE Asia tour). However, I'm not familiar with how great Phillipines is for traveling (and I'm not scuba certified). Seems relevant to mention I'm recovering from a broken foot and can walk but can't do intense physical activity

Other options include japan, Hong Kong, and theoretically other se Asian countries. Any opinions goons; and how is tourism in the Phillipines?

Nifty fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Feb 22, 2014

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Others will be able to advise you on where to go, but get out of Manila. From SIN you should be able to fly direct to other parts of the Philippines on Cebu or Tiger (I think Cebu owns Tiger's local routes) or something. There should be direct flights to Davao, Cebu and the major cities. You can also always connect through Manila. They fly out of the "new" terminal where stuff is cleaner, but they still tape hand-drawn flight numbers on non-working monitors. I did a writeup on Manila at some point that's not comprehensive, but the bottom line is it's a shithole.

Traveling once you're in the Phils isn't that hard. Tons of buses and ferries that will take you anywhere. Be sure you're not going during some random long holiday weekend or anything, though, as buses and ferries are impossibly crowded during that time. Also there will be flights to drat near anywhere on Cebu Pacific. You're maybe likely to have a runway excursion, but other than that they've done okay. As a friend's pilot friend says, "Just make sure they're flying Airbus, because you don't want these guys actually handling the stick if something comes up."

EDIT: I googled and it looks like the EU has partially lifted their ban on Philippine carriers. Maybe things are finally looking up down there!

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Feb 22, 2014

cent0r
Feb 19, 2007

Pilsner posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bechamel_sauce

You can mix it with a lot of flavored stuff; for Italian it will usually be cheesy.

If it's SEA influenced and sweet then it's likely to contain condensed milk as well from what I've read/heard. Can't say for sure what's in it until I've tried it myself.

It looks like there's some serious poo poo going down in SEA atm. Perhaps not the greatest time to visit or maybe it's the greatest time to visit. I've paid for my tickets either way.

cadenza
Dec 25, 2006

integrity

Ringo R posted:

Hey, check out Talad Rot Fai (Train Market) instead. It's a night market so a bit cooler and less touristy. It's a bit of a pain to get to but it's a neat market with food and drinks. Take Airport Rail Link to Hua Mak then just catch a taxi or bus from there. I might go there tonight or tomorrow night if you want to join.

Sweet man, I'm at some poolside bar on Sukhumvit right now so tomorrow might be better as it would take me a while to get back and change and then head over. Unless it's a good thing to do late?

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

cadenza posted:

Sweet man, I'm at some poolside bar on Sukhumvit right now so tomorrow might be better as it would take me a while to get back and change and then head over. Unless it's a good thing to do late?

Replied to your latest PM, see you tonight!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eDEmvxPeno&t=130s

LEN LAO LEN LAO LEN LAO