Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

AlphaDog posted:

Oh cool, I found some of that in his shed.

Will it be fine for the pup? The wiki article mentions toxicity, and I can't tell who's lying about it.
I wouldn't spray it on the dog or into its mouth, or let him eat the feshly-sprayed weeds, but RoundUp quickly breaks down into harmless compounds; it doesn't persist in the soil or anything. And you only have to use a tiny amount.

DjCoax posted:

This has been asked in january , but has never been answered.
How can I get a quora.com invite ?
I don't think you need one. I just went to quora.com and there's an option to connect via facebook or twitter, and an "I don't have FB or twat" that links to http://www.quora.com/signup . I have an account from forever ago, but don't see a way to invite anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aquatic sideshow
Nov 21, 2005

by I Ozma Myself
I want to ask about going back to college in my late 20s. I know I've seen people ask about this before and they were redirected to a particular thread, but I can't find the thread (probably because I dropped out). Can someone link me?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

aquatic sideshow posted:

I want to ask about going back to college in my late 20s. I know I've seen people ask about this before and they were redirected to a particular thread, but I can't find the thread (probably because I dropped out). Can someone link me?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3414017

Also, does anyone know a good way to find high quality and legal prints of paintings? Googling around seems to pull up a lot of sites that seem sketchy.

aquatic sideshow
Nov 21, 2005

by I Ozma Myself

Perfect, thanks!

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

El_Elegante posted:

Also, does anyone know a good way to find high quality and legal prints of paintings? Googling around seems to pull up a lot of sites that seem sketchy.

It depends on the painting. Do you mean really famous paintings or just any painting? For the former lots of places have obtained rights to print and resell paintings, but I am sure some of them are illegally creating reproductions. If it's the latter, you need to find who either owns copyright, or who has rights to print it. Part of my position is to manage our rights and reproductions department which handles this for paintings and other items we own. For example, if you wanted a print or digital copy of this:

http://digitallibrary.hsp.org/index.php/Detail/Object/Show/object_id/4517

You would need to go through the instructions listed on this page because you need to purchase it through us:

http://www.hsp.org/node/2032

Some other places have a better e-commerce set up, something we should be releasing soon. If you wanted to buy "Braddock's Defeat" from the Wisconsin Historical Society it is a smoother experience:

http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/whi...submit%3DSUBMIT

Capt. Morgan
Feb 23, 2006

El_Elegante posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3414017

I've purchased some nice prints from https://allposters.com

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!

randyest posted:

1. Around Boston you're lucky to give away a CRT. It costs money to throw them away. Cali is worse. YMMV. Maybe in some flyover state someone high enough on WoW would give you $20 for it.

2. LED backlit LCDs are way more reliable than the old CCFL backlit LCDs, which are way more reliable than CRTs.

Your 17" LCD's might be worth $20-40 each around here but, again, YMMV and you didn't say where you are.

Why use VGA input instead of DVI or HDMI? Limit of your PC? DVI/HDMI cards are cheaper than what your LCDs are worth these days and look quite a bit better. You might actually have trouble finding displays with VGA in, but VGA->DVI converters are cheap and come with most video cards.

I live not far from Boston. Guess I'll just have to donate this old clunker, eh?

And every new TV I've looked at so far has had a VGA input in addition to HDMI. I need VGA because, yes, my PC is aging. I won't be getting a new one any time soon.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

randyest posted:

I wouldn't spray it on the dog or into its mouth, or let him eat the feshly-sprayed weeds, but RoundUp quickly breaks down into harmless compounds; it doesn't persist in the soil or anything. And you only have to use a tiny amount.

Awesome, thanks again.

Also, your avatar is hypnotic. What do you call that shape?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

AlphaDog posted:

What do you call that shape?

I don't know what randyest calls it, but in math(s) it's a great dodecahedron (among other names). A very similar gif is on this artist's page* but there's a small error in the gif on that artist's page that can't be seen at the resolution of randyest's avatar.

*Thanks, Google reverse image search.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I uh, spurted thermal compound onto my motherboard today, I got most of it off but there's still some smeared on the board and underneath a few capacitors. Am I hosed? The paste is silver but I don't know if it's metallic or ceramic based(ZP Heatsink Compounds).

Also, is there any way to test it without connecting my processor/ram? If there is a short, I'd rather it destroy 1 piece of hardware instead of 3.

Der Luftwaffle fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 4, 2011

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
You can use 70-90% isopropal alcohol and cotton balls to clean it up, if you haven't already tried this. You can get the alcohol in the "first aid" section of a grocery store or pharmacy. The alcohol dissolves thermal compounds, and evaporates very quickly so it won't damage your motherboard like water might.

I think you can get to a BIOS screen even if you don't have a CPU connected, and I know you can get there with no RAM. As usual, asking in Serious Hardware/Software Crap will probably get you better answers than here.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

helopticor posted:

I don't know what randyest calls it, but in math(s) it's a great dodecahedron (among other names). A very similar gif is on this artist's page* but there's a small error in the gif on that artist's page that can't be seen at the resolution of randyest's avatar.

*Thanks, Google reverse image search.
You're quite correct in every way but you also spoiled the fun of me replying "Fred." ;)

There's a neato interactive Java thing here to look at one, but you cant rotate the facets.

As a kid I had an insanely difficult puzzle thing in the same shape that was like a crazy rubik's cube and is apparently called an Alexander's Star. It could be rotated in more ways than my avatar shows and you had to match colors like a rubik's cube, but I never solved it even once.

I had to cut my avatar down to meet the file size; the original .gif goes through all the rotations that are shown in the one helopticor posted.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

I've got T-Mobile for my cell plan and I want to get a new phone (not a smartphone - just a plain vanilla phone). If I buy a new T-Mobile phone, can I just drop my SIM card into the new phone and have it work or is there some activation crap that you have to do?

I started out with a lovely Nokia that I bought at Wal-Mart and took to T-Mobile to get a number set up for it, but I'm not sure if the phone itself has to be activated or if you just need the SIM card to make it work. My sister-in-law gave me her old Samsung T-Mobile phone when she got a smartphone, so I just dropped my SIM card in and was back up in two seconds, but in that case, the phone had been used already so I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

What thread is this title from?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
It would be the D&D feminism thread. I sort of expected that something like this would happen, stuff like that never goes well.

Edit: It got gassed and apparently there was a mock thread in FYAD about it.

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Nov 4, 2011

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Benagain posted:

Chicago does a weird thing where each of our expressways is named, which serves no purpose other than to make traffic reports incomprehensible to people from outside the area.

The Kennedy is 1-90/94, Stevenson is 55, Dan Ryan is the 294 bypass, Eisenhower is 290, Edens is 94 coming down from Wisconsin, Bishop Ford is a section of 57.

I have no idea why we do this.
In LA you have to know what section of the 101 you're going through - the Ventura Freeway or the Hollywood Freeway. The Ventura Freeway has two parts - the 101 or the 134. The Hollywood Freeway is either the 101 or the 170. The 110 is either the Harbor Freeway or the Pasadena Freeway, depending on which side of the Hollywood Freeway you're on.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
I've got a really bad ear infection that just kicked in within the last 6 hours, I feel really dizzy and very nauseous. The problem is I have an exam tomorrow morning, I don't know if I can make it to the class. Is an ear infection legitimate enough that a professor would allow an absence? All other ear infections I've had have been very mild, I didn't think they could be this bad.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Drevoak posted:

I've got a really bad ear infection that just kicked in within the last 6 hours, I feel really dizzy and very nauseous. The problem is I have an exam tomorrow morning, I don't know if I can make it to the class. Is an ear infection legitimate enough that a professor would allow an absence? All other ear infections I've had have been very mild, I didn't think they could be this bad.
If I were you I'd make up a more serious and believable excuse. I'm not a doctor but a sudden ear infection sounds pretty weak as far as excuses to get out of exams go. If it's really for real maybe go see the campus free clinic and get a note?

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007

randyest posted:

If I were you I'd make up a more serious and believable excuse. I'm not a doctor but a sudden ear infection sounds pretty weak as far as excuses to get out of exams go. If it's really for real maybe go see the campus free clinic and get a note?

My ear has been bothering me for a few days, once a day for like 5 days it would feel as if it would about to pop and Id feel dizzy for a few seconds. In the last few hours it started to happen very frequently and now its nonstop. I am going to the doctors in the morning, I can get a note for this. It isn't fake.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

randyest posted:

The professor really won't give a poo poo why you went to the doctor if you have a note. In fact, many people prefer not to know personal (possibly disgusting) medical information. However, if you try and make up a "more serious and believable" bullshit excuse ("I slipped a disc!" "I had appendicitis!") without a doctor's note, the prof doesn't have to excuse you (because if it was a real medical emergency, you would have gone to the doctor).

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
My last pack of checks I bought was 10+ years ago and it lasted me through 4 moves having the wrong address, I'm out now.

I'm looking at the BOA website and I've found where to order but I can't find anything that shows how much it costs. I can probably find out this going into a branch but I'm wondering if there's maybe a cheaper website or something to have checks printed, anyone?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Wagonburner posted:

My last pack of checks I bought was 10+ years ago and it lasted me through 4 moves having the wrong address, I'm out now.

I'm looking at the BOA website and I've found where to order but I can't find anything that shows how much it costs. I can probably find out this going into a branch but I'm wondering if there's maybe a cheaper website or something to have checks printed, anyone?

When I ran out (similar situation), I just went to the branch and asked for more checks. They mailed them to me and it didn't cost me anything. I don't use BOA, though.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Wagonburner posted:

Your checking account almost certainly comes with a limited free supply of checks - just call or go to your local branch and ask.

DO NOT get checks from a website not associated with your bank! If you get checks from an entity that's not BOA, you're paying for the privilege of a) giving that entity your account number, routing number, and name, and b) getting instruments that BOA is under absolutely no obligation to honor.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Besesoth posted:

Your checking account almost certainly comes with a limited free supply of checks - just call or go to your local branch and ask.

DO NOT get checks from a website not associated with your bank! If you get checks from an entity that's not BOA, you're paying for the privilege of a) giving that entity your account number, routing number, and name, and b) getting instruments that BOA is under absolutely no obligation to honor.

I never thought they'd be free, BOA would probably like to charge me just for walking in to a place. Will have to check.

And good points there too, I never really thought of that. I remember way back when I first got a checking account at 18 I ordered checks from a magazine (they had different Chevys on them) I thought maybe stuff like that was still around but maybe not such a great thing to do over the internet with no one keeping their data secure anymore.

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

:h: :s: :d: :c:
Can someone explain this popsicle stick joke to me?

q: What did the monkey name his kid?
a: Buck

I've never heard the word "buck" used to describe anything having to do with monkeys. I have a feeling I'm gonna :doh: when someone explains but I can't get it.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Wagonburner posted:

I never thought they'd be free, BOA would probably like to charge me just for walking in to a place. Will have to check.

And good points there too, I never really thought of that. I remember way back when I first got a checking account at 18 I ordered checks from a magazine (they had different Chevys on them) I thought maybe stuff like that was still around but maybe not such a great thing to do over the internet with no one keeping their data secure anymore.

I'd like to ask you to stop using a bank that constantly defrauds the American public and its customers, lays off a large percentage of its work force, raises its customers' fees, all while reporting huge profits. It's a terrible company and I don't think anyone should patronize it.
Use a credit union. As a new customer, you'll get some free checks.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I'm trying to find a good ePUB reader for Android. All the readers I've tried can't tell the difference between italic text and regular text, even though Adobe Digital Editions for Windows can. I've so far tried Aldiko, FBReader and Moon+ Reader.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Rubies posted:

Can someone explain this popsicle stick joke to me?

q: What did the monkey name his kid?
a: Buck

I've never heard the word "buck" used to describe anything having to do with monkeys. I have a feeling I'm gonna :doh: when someone explains but I can't get it.

Are you sure it was "monkey" and not "money"?

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

FCKGW posted:

Are you sure it was "monkey" and not "money"?

:doh::doh::doh:

And I reread it like five times before I posted and still didn't notice haha. Thanks amigo.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Very Strange Things posted:

I'd like to ask you to stop using a bank that constantly defrauds the American public and its customers, lays off a large percentage of its work force, raises its customers' fees, all while reporting huge profits. It's a terrible company and I don't think anyone should patronize it.
Use a credit union. As a new customer, you'll get some free checks.

ehh, I've thought about it a few times but the main reason I didn't switch back then (took out a car loan at a CU and had to open a $25 savings account there to qualify) was the boa website. I'd gotten so used to using some awesome things on there that this CU's website didn't look like it ever even had dreams of providing.

If any of the CUs around here have some better featured websites nowadays and a better atm situation than boa (If you can't find a boa one, it's a $2+ charge from the owner + $2 charge from boa) I'll definitely consider. would be awesome if I could find one that had good savings too, I have a capital one mma cause it pays 1.25% (boa was .1%) and they don't even have an office here. It might as well be in a CD if it takes me 3-5 days to get to it.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?

Rubies posted:

:doh::doh::doh:

And I reread it like five times before I posted and still didn't notice haha. Thanks amigo.

Either way that's gotta be the worst joke I've ever heard.

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

Jeffrey Colon posted:

Either way that's gotta be the worst joke I've ever heard.

You're right, here's a better one:

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

Wagonburner posted:

Deluxe.com
checksinthemail.com
checksunlimited.com

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Besesoth posted:

b) getting instruments that BOA is under absolutely no obligation to honor.

Are you sure about this? I work with a guy that used to work at a bank and the only thing that makes a check is the stuff printed on it. You should be able to use a rock (he said this has happened) as long as you get everything on there. Someone at the bank then puts this information onto a replacement slip so that they can process it normally.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Are you sure about this? I work with a guy that used to work at a bank and the only thing that makes a check is the stuff printed on it. You should be able to use a rock (he said this has happened) as long as you get everything on there. Someone at the bank then puts this information onto a replacement slip so that they can process it normally.

Many banks do accept "foreign" "checks" as a matter of course - I believe the canonical example is a cow - but no bank is required to, and that's my point. If you're comfortable using an instrument that your bank is under no obligation to honor, even knowing that they'll probably honor it, hey, your call.

You're still giving away all the information needed to perform a wire transfer and suck all the money out of your account, though.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Has anyone used Kava tea as a sleep aid? Does it work?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Besesoth posted:

Many banks do accept "foreign" "checks" as a matter of course - I believe the canonical example is a cow - but no bank is required to, and that's my point. If you're comfortable using an instrument that your bank is under no obligation to honor, even knowing that they'll probably honor it, hey, your call.

You're still giving away all the information needed to perform a wire transfer and suck all the money out of your account, though.

I'm not saying it's ok to use one of these companies, but I don't think you'll ever encounter a problem where your bank won't honor the check (unless you don't have the money).

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

TheAngryDrunk posted:

My (military) band goes to American Samoa every year, and some of the members do drink kava. I think it's more of a muscle relaxant, though. Also, I have no idea what the strength of tea vs. the muddy water poo poo they drink is.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?

TheAngryDrunk posted:

A friend and I bought the pure root straight from a grower in Hawaii and ground it up and steeped it to make tea.

It definitely has mild calming properties to it and would help as a sleep aid, but its not going to magically cure insomnia if that's what you're hoping for. If all you're expecting is a nice relaxing night in front of the TV, it'll definitely accommodate that. View it as something that will get you to a slight state of relaxation to act as a starting point to help you sleep.

I've also tried the supplements and in my opinion they're not even worth the money you pay for them. If you're going to invest in it, buy the root and grind it yourself.

Plus as a weird bonus, it will completely numb your tongue and mouth when you drink it.

Edit: Now that I think about it I'm pretty sure you can get pre-ground root too.

Jeffrey Colon fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Nov 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Why do most phone carriers not accept collect calls from prisons?