Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
I'm lost. I posted a while back about updating my Nexus S (i9020A) to JellyBean. Coming from 2.3.4 with CM7, I couldn't do it OTA. I searched XDA for a stock JB rom, which I installed through CWM. While I love the new JB look, I miss the customization of Cyanogen. When I installed JB, it told me I would lose root access, which I did.

I'm trying to do 2 things: gain root to access my FF3 save file (to put in one I got from the net). I forgot to backup mine and apparently CWM doesn't include FF3 save files in its backups. :( Also, I want to install CM10, even if the only stable version doesn't support tethering (yet - I hope).

Looking at guides confuses me even more. Here's what I've done:

• Installed Android SDK Tools
  • Downloaded USB drivers using that tool
  • Updated drivers in device manager
  • Tried "fastboot oem unlock" (apparently this was already done)
  • Flashed TWRP successfully
  • Installed SuperUser through TWRP

However, when it boots, I do not have root access. I can't see my FF3 save file, Titanium Backup tells me I don't have root, and all that.

The only part I've done differently from guides is the drivers part. For some reason, while in Fastboot Mode, the Windows Device Manager recognizes my phone as an ADB Interface > %SingleAdbInterface%, as opposed to SAMSUNG Android Phone > Android ADB Interface. Whatever that is supposed to mean.

I understand that this is a very specific problem and I don't except a detailed answer, just a push in the correct direction.

At this point I'm worried I've got lots of different files/versions on the phone and I sort of wish I could start anew. How?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

internet inc posted:

I'm lost. I posted a while back about updating my Nexus S (i9020A) to JellyBean. Coming from 2.3.4 with CM7, I couldn't do it OTA. I searched XDA for a stock JB rom, which I installed through CWM. While I love the new JB look, I miss the customization of Cyanogen. When I installed JB, it told me I would lose root access, which I did.

I'm trying to do 2 things: gain root to access my FF3 save file (to put in one I got from the net). I forgot to backup mine and apparently CWM doesn't include FF3 save files in its backups. :( Also, I want to install CM10, even if the only stable version doesn't support tethering (yet - I hope).

Looking at guides confuses me even more. Here's what I've done:

• Installed Android SDK Tools
  • Downloaded USB drivers using that tool
  • Updated drivers in device manager
  • Tried "fastboot oem unlock" (apparently this was already done)
  • Flashed TWRP successfully
  • Installed SuperUser through TWRP

However, when it boots, I do not have root access. I can't see my FF3 save file, Titanium Backup tells me I don't have root, and all that.

The only part I've done differently from guides is the drivers part. For some reason, while in Fastboot Mode, the Windows Device Manager recognizes my phone as an ADB Interface > %SingleAdbInterface%, as opposed to SAMSUNG Android Phone > Android ADB Interface. Whatever that is supposed to mean.

I understand that this is a very specific problem and I don't except a detailed answer, just a push in the correct direction.

At this point I'm worried I've got lots of different files/versions on the phone and I sort of wish I could start anew. How?
Just restore your nandroid and backup with Titanium to get your save file.

Edit: Do that, then just flash the stock JRO03E image, root that ("fastboot flash recovery [filename].img", boot to recovery, flash SuperSU), then restore app data with Titanium.

Should take you about 20 minutes beginning to end.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Aug 10, 2012

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
I read the date wrong. My latest backup is from June. :(

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

internet inc posted:

I read the date wrong. My latest backup is from June. :(
So you neither did scheduled backups in Titanium nor did a nandroid before you decided to wipe the device?

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

Oddhair posted:

I just updated my spare G2 to a CM9 release candidate and with only Gapps and no other mods it's pretty snappy.

Hi. I own a G2 and have tried to keep on top of "the scene" as it were for members here. zShakespere and a few others have G2s as well and can all chime in.

If you're wanting an ICS rom for the G2 then Andromadus Mimicry is the absolute most up to date rom out there. Period. The guy has his poo poo together and updates it regularly to the best of his ability. The rom itself is solid, save the lack of video and a bit of janky slowdown after a few weeks. Its problems lay in applications having serious bugs such as Swiftkey3's FN button issues, LBE Security losing root, and Juicedefender freaking out constantly.

If you're wanting to try out Sense 4, then Virtuous Infinity finally hit alpha 2, but that means jack poo poo in the grand scheme of things. I wouldn't bother with any of the myriad Sense 3.5 roms out there either. The G2 doesn't have enough ram/rom to properly run Sense 3 and up without a pretty hefty swap partition. I get that information directly from CJWard and RMK the public relations and head guy at Virtuous Team.

Unfortunately Ice Cream Sandwich will probably never work 100% on the G2. The Desire HD rom that people had been frothing at the bit about getting ended up getting canceled. The driver parts that people needed simply cannot come from other phones with the MSM8255 for reasons which I have yet to get a straight answer. Realistically though, those drivers probably wouldn't even solve much more than the occasional graphical glitching. Unlikely video would have been enabled. That is according to blk_jk, the maintainer of Mimicry.

As much as I love this device, I've resigned myself to sticking with the tail end of Gingerbread with Cm7.2 stable. While I value being on nearly the latest and greatest, the hardware simply isn't there. I'd say I envy the latest and greatest users and to an extent I do indeed regret not having a developer device. But then I sit and really think about what I'm really missing out on and save interface improvements I can't really think of much. Perhaps that is due to ignorance over what Jellybean really brings to the table, but then again ignorance is bliss.

LastInLine posted:

I've never seen this on my Galaxy Nexus.

Just because it doesn't happen to you, doesn't mean that other people are immune to the issue. This is XDA level shlock and I implore you to refrain from continuing posts of this quality in the future. You have 6.17% of the posts in this thread alone. You should know better.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Slopehead posted:

Just because it doesn't happen to you, doesn't mean that other people are immune to the issue. This is XDA level shlock and I implore you to refrain from continuing posts of this quality in the future. You have 6.17% of the posts in this thread alone. You should know better.
Seems like it's beneficial to note that it doesn't affect every user equally, is it not? Like maybe the low memory issue isn't due to the hardware but rather browsing habits and/or usage patterns? If hooah is seeing it on his Galaxy Nexus and I'm not seeing it on mine then surely there must be a way for hooah (though probably not fuf due to HTC's aggressive memory management) to fix the problem rather than just living with the aggravation which he would be likely to do without my comment that refreshless web browsing is indeed possible on the Galaxy Nexus under certain usage patterns. This much seems obvious even to the casual reader. :confused:

In any case I hope that one day I will live up to and possibly with some effort exceed the level of quality posting that we demand.

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house

LastInLine posted:

So you neither did scheduled backups in Titanium nor did a nandroid before you decided to wipe the device?

I thought I did. :( I also thought the FF3 save files were saving somewhere on the cloud because it says "Connecting..." when starting the game.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

internet inc posted:

I thought I did. :( I also thought the FF3 save files were saving somewhere on the cloud because it says "Connecting..." when starting the game.
Hmm well if you have a save file you want to put in that was obtained from elsewhere I guess we can try that too.

Anyway if you think things are janked up about the only recourse you have is to flash the stock JRO03E build and then restore your app data with Titanium but I'm guessing you still have the problem where you don't have any fresh data for Titanium to restore? If that's the case the best I can do is give you instructions to return to stock rooted if that's what you'd like.

Obviously you could always just start over with a custom ROM if you'd prefer that too, I don't think there's anything you could've hosed up that can't be repaired with a total wipe and restore except the radio and if it's working now you haven't messed that up.

Jignx
Feb 17, 2006
~♥Bringer of Light♥~
My dad asked me to update his Samsung Galaxy S2 to the latest and I want to get him Jellybean.

I browsed XDA developers and I'm overwhelmed at the amount of choices there are. Which one do you goons recommend to be the right choice?

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Sorry LastInLine you just came across as a gigantic smug rear end in a top hat about it, though I am sure you meant nothing of the sort. Perhaps I have been reading to much XDA where that kind of quality posting is the norm and I lashed out. I spent an hour trying to find the right words and failed. I apologize, however I do stand by my statement even if it is based on what I now find was the false assumption you were speaking about a One X, not another Gnex.

Without further elaboration on your part as to possible causes or solutions, your words implied that the poster in question was somehow a failure and his device was broken despite whatever he had done to rectify the issue in the past. This kind of subtle snobbery is not terribly unusual in your posts, even if it is entirely unintentional and/or unnoticed.

I see that phrase used far, far to much in other places when there are legitimate issues. Being casually dismissed in such a fashion has happened to myself on more than one occasion. Drives me nuts and I projected. Again, I apologize for not thoroughly understanding the context of the discussion. It is very late, now 5:30 am and my ability to communicate and comprehend is dulled.

It certainly doesn't help that my mental reading of your posts is the voice of a crass British socialite wearing a sporting jacket whose hunting dog named is "Mr. Pibblesworth". The dog has a sporting jacket too in my mental image of your posting den. What kind of monster puts a tweed on their dog?

Anyway, detail over. Back to your regularly scheduled whatever. I'll also try reading your posts in Michael Dorns voice.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Aug 10, 2012

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

It's all good, buddy. For what it's worth, I sound like a midwesterner who is bored at work. I probably sound more like Colm Meaney if you're going to assign me a DS9 voice.

I sincerely meant it just so hooah knows it's got to be something on his end that's causing it, I guess I should've elaborated to say that I have no idea what the cause might be. I've never done any memory management on any of my devices and while I saw his symptom occasionally on my old Nexus One, my Galaxy Nexus has simply never done that and in fact often has webpages from days ago in the tab list that also don't refresh when I come back to the browser so I really am curious why he'd see it often and I'd see it never but I can definitely see how it'd come across XDAish and I'll admit I don't want to come across that way.

Also I'll admit to occasional snobbery but I am kind of an rear end in a top hat in real life so I try to restrain myself while posting. Sometimes I fail and I'm more than happy to be called out on it when I do. :)

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My GNex has never done that :smug: .

But seriously, it hasn't, and I haven't seen that compaint crop up in the past really, so most likely it's either a rogue app eating/leaking memory, or something is up with the kernel/ROM. Firstly, is this on the stock ROM? Non-standard ROMs would be a likely candidate to cause this but I suspect you would have guessed that yourself.

In Settings -> Apps -> Running, there is a RAM bar at the bottom. Check that when you see this happening. Is it very full? Mine usually hovers around 50-60%. I have no idea how accurate that bar actually is but it's something to check.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Jignx posted:

My dad asked me to update his Samsung Galaxy S2 to the latest and I want to get him Jellybean.
1. Which SGS2? There's like ten of them and they're completely different. Model number, carrier, and/or locale would help.

2. Official ICS updates are out for most, if not all SGS2 variants. Is your father on stock ROM right now? If so, stock ICS is probably the best route to go unless he's having issues. You really don't want to run a half-baked ROM on a phone that's not yours.

If he is having issues, CM9 is the likely answer. CM10 would be the best bet for Jelly Bean, but it's very new and a work in progress, and the level of stability and support frankly depends on exactly which device it is. In any event, I probably wouldn't install CM10 on something that you're not going to be updating regularly, it's just too new and unfinished for that.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
CM is releasing the stable versions of CM9 for many devices, so far more than 40 are up. Their blog says this will mark the end of CM10 development and after this they're focusing entirely on CM10. I find it interesting the Toro Plus (Sprint) is up already but not the Toro (Verizon).

http://get.cm

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
How do the CM releases work? The Atrix still only has 7.2 up, and has RC, stable, and nightlies for it. No sign of CM9 though. Does the push for stables of 9 mean all devices should get CM9, or only ones that were already getting nightlies for 9?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

letsgoflyers81 posted:

I find it interesting the Toro Plus (Sprint) is up already but not the Toro (Verizon).
That's because a recent proprietaries update for toro was botched. I believe it's fixed now, if they haven't build a new version yet.

Frozen-Solid posted:

Does the push for stables of 9 mean all devices should get CM9, or only ones that were already getting nightlies for 9?
Only devices that have CM9 nightlies will be getting CM9 stable. The exception would be for devices that have solid "unofficial" CM9 ports that are actively trying to get merged in right now.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

That's because a recent proprietaries update for toro was botched. I believe it's fixed now, if they haven't build a new version yet.

Ah, I hadn't heard that. I figured between Verizon's being out longer and that it's closer to being AOSP compliant than Sprint's it would have gotten a stable release first. Oh well, I can wait.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

letsgoflyers81 posted:

I figured between Verizon's being out longer and that it's closer to being AOSP compliant than Sprint's it would have gotten a stable release first.
A few points:

AOSP compliance between toro and toroplus is meaningless. That has more to do with a licensing and redistribution of proprietary bits (of which all CM devices are a bit shady) than it does actual code.

Second, CM stable releases aren't particularly special compared to nightlies. They're built the same way. The difference is that nightly might have recent less-than-well-tested patches whereas stable releases are something that have been stewing for a few days at least and maintainers have actually tested them somewhat thoroughly. But honestly the distinction there really depends on how active the device maintainer is/are, and how much they care.

As a general point, in the CDMA world Sprint devices tend to have better representation on CM than Verizon ones do. I only know of one official CM developer with a Verizon Galaxy Nexus, who apparently didn't notice that toro nightlies were failing to build due to the botched proprietaries for over a week. Actually, it was the toroplus maintainer (burnsra) who fixed it.

As for "why" in the above, can't say, other than Verizon has chased off a lot of community development potential for locking down (or at least attempting to) the majority of their high-end devices for years.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 10, 2012

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

Are there any TF300 roms that make unlocking worth it? I don't mind/somewhat like the Asus customization but hate the momentary freezes I get with it, especially while web browsing. Firmware updates have helped but I'm getting impatient.

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house

LastInLine posted:

Obviously you could always just start over with a custom ROM if you'd prefer that too, I don't think there's anything you could've hosed up that can't be repaired with a total wipe and restore except the radio and if it's working now you haven't messed that up.

All in all I think I managed to do something nice. I went from CM7 to JB stock and back to CM9. 9 is Android 4.0+, which is a big upgrade from an older 2.3.4 CM7. JB was nice but lacked a bit of customization, which I now get from CM9. I got the new version they pushed yesterday (?) and it works wonders.

Thanks!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

internet inc posted:

All in all I think I managed to do something nice. I went from CM7 to JB stock and back to CM9. 9 is Android 4.0+, which is a big upgrade from an older 2.3.4 CM7. JB was nice but lacked a bit of customization, which I now get from CM9. I got the new version they pushed yesterday (?) and it works wonders.

Thanks!
Honestly with the problems my wife's having on Jelly Bean I think you made the right decision. Glad to hear it worked out for you! :)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

LastInLine posted:

Honestly with the problems my wife's having on Jelly Bean I think you made the right decision. Glad to hear it worked out for you! :)

I'm not having any of those problems :smug:

Seriously though this is (one of the) the annoying thing about Android, people get vastly different experiences on the same hardware eve with similar usage patterns.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

GoodApollo posted:

Are there any TF300 roms that make unlocking worth it? I don't mind/somewhat like the Asus customization but hate the momentary freezes I get with it, especially while web browsing. Firmware updates have helped but I'm getting impatient.

I'm starting to wonder about this myself. I'm getting tired of force close dialogs popping up when using Chrome and Good News. Hopefully the teased Jelly Bean update will fix the issues but if a stable CM10 hits the tablet first I'm probably gonna jump ship.

Which is a shame, because I actually like the improvements Asus made. Having a small row of toggles in the notification is a lot more convenient then having to switch between notifications and toggles.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

dissss posted:

I'm not having any of those problems :smug:

Seriously though this is (one of the) the annoying thing about Android, people get vastly different experiences on the same hardware eve with similar usage patterns.
Since I did the reflash things have been better but not great. Just today for instance she told me the Beautiful SuperClock widget was still saying the time and location she was about 20 hours ago and the fix was restarting Nova Launcher. Just another of those odd :wtc: things that has been happening since she updated.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

LastInLine posted:

Since I did the reflash things have been better but not great. Just today for instance she told me the Beautiful SuperClock widget was still saying the time and location she was about 20 hours ago and the fix was restarting Nova Launcher. Just another of those odd :wtc: things that has been happening since she updated.

That's actually a Nova issue. I've got the same issue with widgets not updating on a Sensation running stock ICS.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
To some extent its a general Android issue.

Just page through the post your homescreen thread and look for out of sync clocks - you'll see it across a variety of different launchers and versions of Android.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

A few points:

AOSP compliance between toro and toroplus is meaningless. That has more to do with a licensing and redistribution of proprietary bits (of which all CM devices are a bit shady) than it does actual code.

Second, CM stable releases aren't particularly special compared to nightlies. They're built the same way. The difference is that nightly might have recent less-than-well-tested patches whereas stable releases are something that have been stewing for a few days at least and maintainers have actually tested them somewhat thoroughly. But honestly the distinction there really depends on how active the device maintainer is/are, and how much they care.

As a general point, in the CDMA world Sprint devices tend to have better representation on CM than Verizon ones do. I only know of one official CM developer with a Verizon Galaxy Nexus, who apparently didn't notice that toro nightlies were failing to build due to the botched proprietaries for over a week. Actually, it was the toroplus maintainer (burnsra) who fixed it.

As for "why" in the above, can't say, other than Verizon has chased off a lot of community development potential for locking down (or at least attempting to) the majority of their high-end devices for years.

Well for what it's worth Toro has been posted. This should tide me over until the CM10 nightlies start. :)

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

lelandjs posted:

I'm starting to wonder about this myself. I'm getting tired of force close dialogs popping up when using Chrome and Good News. Hopefully the teased Jelly Bean update will fix the issues but if a stable CM10 hits the tablet first I'm probably gonna jump ship.

Which is a shame, because I actually like the improvements Asus made. Having a small row of toggles in the notification is a lot more convenient then having to switch between notifications and toggles.

Agreed. There's an unofficial CM10 over on XDA, everything works but the GPS but I find it really difficult to dissect whether or not a rom is worth trying based on the threads.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
Will there be an OTA update from CM9 to CM10 that preserves data/settings or would I have to titanium backup and install rom/gapps and restore from titanium?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

The touchscreen on my wife's Atrix becomes unresponsive like once a day until she turns it on and off a couple times. She's just going to take it back to Best Buy since she bought their insurance for some reason.

Anyway, I need to back up her apps/data so she can save her progress in some games. Is there any downsides to just using SuperOneClick on the Atrix 4g, installing Titanium Backup, and then backing up? I guess the real question is if it will un-root ok so she can do the return.

I'm kind of hoping they'll give her an Atrix HD as a replacement...

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Thermopyle posted:

Anyway, I need to back up her apps/data so she can save her progress in some games. Is there any downsides to just using SuperOneClick on the Atrix 4g, installing Titanium Backup, and then backing up? I guess the real question is if it will un-root ok so she can do the return.

All you need to do to unroot is reset it to the factory defaults from the boot screen. Even if you gently caress with a lot of the internal apps, a factory reset will get it 100% back to stock. Just don't unlock the bootloader and you'll be fine.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Frozen-Solid posted:

All you need to do to unroot is reset it to the factory defaults from the boot screen. Even if you gently caress with a lot of the internal apps, a factory reset will get it 100% back to stock. Just don't unlock the bootloader and you'll be fine.

Sweet, thanks.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Frozen-Solid posted:

Factory reset just resets data, it won't unroot a phone and reinstall the stock ROM and apps.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Dammit, why does goo.im have to be down? Where can I get the latest Gapps? I see a lot of potential places with a google search but I don't see an url I recognise as being reliable. Anyone have a reliable link?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Web Jew.0 posted:

Will there be an OTA update from CM9 to CM10 that preserves data/settings or would I have to titanium backup and install rom/gapps and restore from titanium?
CM update.zips don't wipe /data. So as long as you don't do that yourself everything should be preserved. That said, jumping from CM9->CM10 isn't a particularly well tested configuration, so you're probably best wiping anyways.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Xachariah posted:

Dammit, why does goo.im have to be down? Where can I get the latest Gapps? I see a lot of potential places with a google search but I don't see an url I recognise as being reliable. Anyone have a reliable link?

Assuming you're looking for the latest JB Gapps, this link worked for me earlier today.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

big mean giraffe posted:

Factory reset just resets data, it won't unroot a phone and reinstall the stock ROM and apps.

Well you know, that's what I thought, but I had some vague recollection of root on the Atrix requiring some unusual something for root...

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
What's the most recent gapps I can use with CM7.2?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

What's the most recent gapps I can use with CM7.2?

gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

ExcessBLarg! posted:

CM update.zips don't wipe /data. So as long as you don't do that yourself everything should be preserved. That said, jumping from CM9->CM10 isn't a particularly well tested configuration, so you're probably best wiping anyways.

Ok thanks. I'll probably just slum it out on touchwiz ICS until CM10 is stable then.