Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

enotnert posted:

our dry aging rig.

bitcoin strawberries TNG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

NoneMoreNegative posted:

bitcoin strawberries TNG

eh, it's more an upstairs beer fridge that we installed a few fans and humidity control things in.

It works, it's cheap, wontfix.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i havent tried dry aging myself would it be viable in my normal fridge and would it offend my girlfriends vegetarian sensibilities?

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

i havent tried dry aging myself would it be viable in my normal fridge and would it offend my girlfriends vegetarian sensibilities?

It's viable, just not the greatest idea.

As my ~waifu~ is vegetarian, when we first started testing this we were doing short 2-3 week runs in my fridge and it didn't piss her off, so go buck wild.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

3 weeks out of the month she was fine with you ruining the fridge? and then what happened.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

enotnert posted:

It's viable, just not the greatest idea.

why not? it takes up space, but i've had very good results with it

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

Trig Discipline posted:

why not? it takes up space, but i've had very good results with it

Yeah, I mean my results weren't bad by any means.

Doing it in a dedicated fridge tends to yield better results (especially in the south where opening the fridge can instantly change the temp 2-3 degrees).

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol, anyone remember that Spectrum bluetooth keyboard i posted elsewhere?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/952953995/bluetooth-zx-spectrum-recreating-the-sinclair-zx-s

welp;

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/02/03/elite_systems_yanks_zx_spectrum_games_from_app_stores

"Whaddya mean, royalties for the original programmers? that shits Abandonware, man!"

what the gently caress kind of idiot hell fucker would even want that? the spectrum was infamous for having literally the worst keyboard in the history of computing (with the exception of the zx80/81) and even the biggest speccy emulation fanboy (i.e. me) would want to recreate that...

oh just gently caress off humanity

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
Cool going to give the dry aging thing a shot. Anything for my ~guests~, especially if it can poison them.

I'll post the results since i'll be doing sous vide => blow torch

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
why is sous vide any better than just boiling whatever you're cooking?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
because

a) it's in a bag so the flavor doesn't escape into the water
b) the temperature is strictly regulated so that whatever you're cooking reaches exactly the temp you want and doesn't go above it. then it reaches thermo equilibrium so the whole steak will be exactly medium rare or w/e. when you boil something it cookes at boiling temp which is way too hot for almost everything

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
i'm going to boil something in a bag, just to see how it turns out

hot dogs, maybe

funroll loops
Feb 6, 2007
CAPSISSTUCK

prefect posted:

why is sous vide any better than just boiling whatever you're cooking?

its at a lower temperature and for a longer period of time so you can get exactly medium rare or whatever in a repeatable way. you also keep all the juices in the bag. its basically nothing like eating boiled meat like a retard

efb bad

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
otoh i'm not that mentally challenged so i can already cook a steak normal style.

i can see using sous vide if i wanted to cook a bunch of small pieces of fish or something

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
using it to cook steak and stuff is just for fun it wont be an every day thing

usually it'll be eggs and fish

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol, anyone remember that Spectrum bluetooth keyboard i posted elsewhere?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/952953995/bluetooth-zx-spectrum-recreating-the-sinclair-zx-s

welp;

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/02/03/elite_systems_yanks_zx_spectrum_games_from_app_stores

"Whaddya mean, royalties for the original programmers? that shits Abandonware, man!"

i can't tell if this guy is a tool or just naive as gently caress. leaning toward the latter as i don't see someone making a new zx spectrum for a get rich quick scheme

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i bet you could make a bunch of money on kickstarter making a replica of that egg boiler from blade runner

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Al! posted:

otoh i'm not that mentally challenged so i can already cook a steak normal style.

i can see using sous vide if i wanted to cook a bunch of small pieces of fish or something

enjoy your lovely, dry chicken

165??? ugh, all the good protiens are long gone by then

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

ok i can't front, i checked out that dead things song and it's kinda nice

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

quote:

Project Update #15: The Sansaires are coming, the Sansaires are coming!
Posted by Scott Heimendinger ♥ Like
The long wait is nearly over, as the first Sansaires have landed in backers’ hands, and the rest are following shortly behind. Backers in East Asia, Australia, and New Zealand should expect units on their doorsteps within the next few days, if they haven’t arrived already. Our United States shipment is expected to arrive in Los Angeles at any moment, and our Europe and Canada containers are close behind. As soon as your unit ships, you will receive a tracking number via email. Once you you’re your tracking number, stalking your Sansaire’s delivery is highly encouraged.

Make your friends jealous.

Owning a Sansaire is a rare and coveted privilege, and we want to help you show off the product that you made happen. Post photos of your unboxing, the new corner of your kitchen dedicated to sous vide, or your first sous vide meal, and tag them with @Sansaire on Facebook or Twitter. We can’t wait to see (and share) the photos of the Sansaire in your own home!

The Sansaire Towel of Reference

To help you get started cooking right away, and as a thanks for your tremendous support, we’ve included the Sansaire “Sous Vide Towel of Reference” with each Sansaire we’re sending to our Kickstarter backers. The towel lists our favorite foods, temperatures and time for sous vide cooking (adapted to our personal taste, but with credit due to Modernist Cuisine). We hope it’s a handy reference tool, but by all means, feel free to frame it and hang it on the wall. After our Kickstarter orders have all been shipped, we’ll post a version of the towel online for you to download as a quick reference on your phone or tablet.

Unboxing Video, and a 67°C Duck Egg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjfghXoxb2I
Spoiler alert: This video shows us unboxing a Sansaire and cooking a duck egg at 67°C. If you want don’t want to spoil the surprise, resist the urge to click “play”. We’re working harder than ever at Sansaire headquarters to ensure that your orders reach you as quickly as possible. As always, should you have any questions, or should you encounter any problems with your new Sansaire, email us at info@sansaire.com.

~the surprise~ of loving cooking something with a product delayed 6 months woo

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

transfatphobic posted:

~the surprise~ of loving cooking something with a product delayed 6 months woo

i'm super excited for the sansare to be lovely since like half a dozen of you bought it and were so smug about it

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Al! posted:

i'm super excited for the sansare to be lovely since like half a dozen of you bought it and were so smug about it

i wasnt smug about the product but people who talk poo poo about sous vide are kind of idiots

its a very delicious cooking style sorry poors

all this has to do is keep water at a set temp and not burn my house down

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Al! posted:

i bet you could make a bunch of money on kickstarter making a replica of that egg boiler from blade runner

lol @ the incoming class action suit from nerds with swollen red broiled fingers

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

i hear cornballers are where the moneys at

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
magic the nipponese-ing

i'm the pledge titles

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

i unironically want a series of these for unusual languages

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

prefect posted:

hot dogs, maybe

they're thawing in the siiiiink

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

prefect posted:

hot dogs, maybe

you dont boil sv

what you could do to Fake It is get the biggest pot you have, get it to whatever temp you want, kill the heat, then drop a vacuum sealed bag with yo meat in and wrap a coat around it

for an hour

you probably dont want to this though

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Feb 4, 2014

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

power botton posted:

just stopping into the thread to mention that I'm crazy rich welp hape you all have a nice day

yeah it was totally subtle and understated until now

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Werthog 95 posted:

last two pages have been shittier than the shittiest kickstarter

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
anyone who gets a sous vide and doesnt cook exclusively in expensive mineral water is a moron

Dec 26, 2012

DaTroof posted:

ok i can't front, i checked out that dead things song and it's kinda nice

yeah seems p ok

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
those of u guys considering dry-ageing, pls read this: http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/03/the-food-lab-complete-guide-to-dry-aging-beef-at-home.html

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

huh. i've done the alton brown "dry aging" on a rack in the fridge thing, and i was really pleased with the results and thought the resulting ribeye tasted quite a bit different from one right off the shelf. i wanna try that double blind like they did and see if i was just fooling myself

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

anyone who gets a sous vide and doesnt cook exclusively in expensive mineral water is a moron

how about an airtight cooking chamber where you only use distilled water?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

funroll loops posted:

wow sf/nyc/seattle is really nice, there are no poor people!

nobody says that about sf there are homeless people loving everywhere

it's pretty gross

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

That was the article that started me down this twisted road (well that and you can get ribeye for like $5 a lb from the farm where all the fancy meat places get it from then charge $12-13 a lb for it).

We went to the mini fridge because we wanted to ramp up the aging to the 45-60 day range. The last one we did was 55 days, and sweet god it was like nothing I've ever eaten before.

Oppenheimer
Dec 26, 2011

by Smythe
how long should I dry age a steak-umm for max flavor?

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

quote:

. I had a panel of tasters test meat aged to various degrees and rank them in overall preference, tenderness, and funkiness.
destroy that person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

destroy that person

pls dont i love kenji! :allears:

• Locked thread