Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

GoreJess posted:

A kid crying because their parent is leaving them at daycare is perfectly normal & has nothing to do with the way the parent is raising their child or the child’s level of security.

Yeah sure it just seemed extreme to me for a kid that looked like she was almost too old to even be in daycare anymore flip out and flail her legs and arms and scream and cry so the daycare lady had to physically restrain her. While her two younger siblings sat calmly at the table and rolled their eyes at their older sister.

In other news David has become really car obsessed, he now sleeps with a toy car instead of a soft stuffed animal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Ugh mine would sleep with his bed full of cars if he could, we have to be very strict on "the cars sleep NEXT to the bed, not in it" because otherwise he consistently hurts himself on them rolling over them.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Kids are dumb

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

Ugh mine would sleep with his bed full of cars if he could, we have to be very strict on "the cars sleep NEXT to the bed, not in it" because otherwise he consistently hurts himself on them rolling over them.

Huh, our kid just learned how to sleep on bumpy toy cars. Seems like a good skill to have.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

We finally had to put a limit on the number of things our son took to bed. We basically tied a little mesh bag to the head of the bed and told him he could take whatever he liked as long as it was safe (ie, nothing with a cord/long string or cutting edges) and could fit in the bag. You want to stuff it full of cars? Go for it.

This was after we visited my parents and he steadily increased the number of items he was hoarding into bed, including a model car, an enormous decorative spoon (it was about two feet long) and a jawbone.

Public Serpent
Oct 13, 2012
Buglord
My kid absolutely needs an opened umbrella in bed with her. And crocs. She is never not wearing crocs.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Mine is a blanket and a stuffed dog we got from a wings place. :shrug: It helps him so whatever floats his boat.

He does have some issues falling asleep though :( We've got a routine at 7:50. Book, Brush, Bed. Feels like it's taking him a good 30 minutes or more to actually fall asleep though.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I just realized there's only one piece of jargon my son (2½) uses regularly. I miss having a secret understanding of him; I won't miss trying to console a sleepy toddler screaming "need nee" at 2am because his blanket fell off.

Now I need to figure out his favorite Bunny's gender because I think we misunderstood something and that's led to some his/her confusion. OTOH I get to ask really woke questions like "Is coocoo bunny a boy with a penis or a girl with a penis?"

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

kaschei posted:

Now I need to figure out his favorite Bunny's gender because I think we misunderstood something and that's led to some his/her confusion. OTOH I get to ask really woke questions like "Is coocoo bunny a boy with a penis or a girl with a penis?"

Our 2.5 year old doesn't get gender yet and we aren't forcing it. We ask if her doggy is a boy doggy or a girl doggy and she just says "It's just Doggy".

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

The only problem is he was emphatic the bunny was a girl at one point so we would correct our son against saying "coocoo wants his..." He either overgeneralized or identifies Coocoo's gender as his own because he started saying "[name] wants her..."

For now we're trying to stop using the didactic third person ourselves and teach him me/my, the gender of the bunny will almost certainly remain ambiguous for some time.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
So mine wants to read me books now which is cool. Fascinated with letters. He "reads" by naming all the letters while tracing them with his finger and then saying the word if he remembers it and having me tell him what it is if he doesnt.

Its really just incredible watching him learn new things. This and the bike stuff hes doing so good with, its not like I am teaching him - he is the one constantly pushing himself forward, testing his limits, figuring out how things work.

Its really amazing. Kids are the best.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

KingColliwog posted:

Tell us how it goes. We're having ours in a september or so and it's pretty overwhelming already.

Almost 6 months in now, and life is finally starting to get easier. We had a ton of help from family on both sides, basically 24x7 help for almost 4 months. As the boys have started to sleep through the night, we've been able to scale back help. My wife is a teacher so she is able to take an extended maternity leave. At this point she is handling all three by herself most days, with the oldest going to preschool two days a week.

The oldest is adjusting, it's taking her some time (and discipline) to adjust to not being the only source of mommy and daddy's affection. The last couple of weeks she's seemed to Get It for now, with minimal fits/cooldowns.

Life is still crazy but we can be out the door in 15 mins after dinner to go for a walk on the local trail or whatever.

Good luck!

Obligatory:

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Oct 25, 2017

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

devmd01 posted:

Almost 6 months in now, and life is finally starting to get easier. We had a ton of help from family on both sides, basically 24x7 help for almost 4 months. As the boys have started to sleep through the night, we've been able to scale back help. My wife is a teacher so she is able to take an extended maternity leave.

The oldest is adjusting, it's taking her some time (and discipline) to adjust to not being the only source of mommy and daddy's affection. The last couple of weeks she's seemed to Get It for now, with minimal fits/cooldowns.

Life is still crazy but we can be out the door in 15 mins after dinner to go for a walk on the local trail or whatever.

Good luck!

Obligatory:

Aw, those are some super sweet babies. I'm glad life is getting easier for you, hang in there and keep rockin' it. :)

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
They're super happy babies and have unique personalities, so it's been fun to see how they develop differently. Since we weren't first time parents that helped a ton; we knew how the hell to keep them alive and just needed to figure out how to make two work. Major props to my wife she is a badass and has been breastfeeding both since day one.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Amazon is running a combo deal on the Brittax baby carrier and stroller for a pretty good price for both items. Both are well review and worth a serious look if you're in the market.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Had both when my son was born. Worked fantastic.

The only complaint I could level is that the stroller doesn’t have a very large cargo capacity. Large purses/bags will have issues (but nothing a big mommy hook won’t solve).

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Sat down to dinner with the boys (just us three as is normal because sometimes my SO works nights) and David starts vomiting all over the kitchen.

I had to stop typing to go mop up more vomit. So yeah I don't have much else to say. I finished my dinner afterwards.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

devmd01 posted:

Almost 6 months in now, and life is finally starting to get easier. We had a ton of help from family on both sides, basically 24x7 help for almost 4 months. As the boys have started to sleep through the night, we've been able to scale back help. My wife is a teacher so she is able to take an extended maternity leave. At this point she is handling all three by herself most days, with the oldest going to preschool two days a week.

Good luck!

Obligatory:

Thanks a lot for the feedback it's nice to see how things go for other people going through the same thing.

Ours are now 1 month old. We also have alot of help, but dialed it down quite a bit in the past two week. We mostly need help when the 2 year old is home because I can't always be helping my girlfriend with the twins when he's here. They sleep for 2-3 hours between each feeding most of the time so we can get 6-7 hours of sleep a night which is quite amazing (we never slept more than 3-4 hours a night with our first kid)

Our oldest is reacting pretty well. He challenges us a bit more than he used to, but he just turned 2 literally a day before the twins arrived so I don't think it's fair to blame it on the twins. He LOVES taking care of his brothers and still sleeps just as much as he did before, so overall we think we got really lucky to have a kid that adjusted so easily.

Can't wait to be able to get out of the house! The only outings we've done since the twins were born is going to the park with the oldest a few times and going out to buy some stuff. But that's mostly because my girlfriend wants to breastfeed so we can't really leave without the twins.

Might as well add a picture too. Getting back to my camera is fun

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I love my 3 year old to death but holy poo poo the not minding is out of control. She's an angel at daycare, but when she's with mom or dad she just loves to not do what we say (unless it's something she wants to do of course).

I'm having to break out the "Santa" excuse which I never wanted to do.

And she argues with me like a damned lawyer. Tries to reason her way into any situation she wants in or out of.

I'm guessing this is normal but holy moly it's testing my patience.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

BonoMan posted:

I love my 3 year old to death but holy poo poo the not minding is out of control. She's an angel at daycare, but when she's with mom or dad she just loves to not do what we say (unless it's something she wants to do of course).

And she argues with me like a damned lawyer. Tries to reason her way into any situation she wants in or out of.

Yeah, sadly it is very normal. They aren’t called threenagers for nothing! The good news, at least, is that she is learning how to test boundaries and sooner or later will be on to another developmental phase. Stay strong and treat yourself to a belt of lagavulin once she is out for the night!

kirsty
Apr 24, 2007
Too lazy and too broke

BonoMan posted:

My second child is now three and a half and I am counting down until she turns four because three-year-olds are THE WORST. At least I know that it does end and my oldest was a delight at four so I'm hoping there's light at the end of the tunnel.

Solidarity, my friend :hfive:

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Chiming in, the (almost 3) girl has hit her threenager phase and it's definitely challenging. She even does the "looking right at you while shoving poo poo off the countertops" thing, basically https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDQbma9VXDk . It comes with new fun stuff but the new challenges are definitely something to adjust to.

Public Serpent
Oct 13, 2012
Buglord
My kid is 2 and a half and she's the best, I'm pretty sure parenting will be this much fun forever, wheeeeeee :downs:

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
My kid is 2 and a half. We aren't quite at rules lawyering, but we are at the negotiating phase.

"LAST HANDFUL"
"No, we said that would be the last handful of nuts"
"NO. *LAST* LAST HANDFUL"

Also the really annoying thing of saying one thing and then immediately the exact opposite.

"Do you want this egg?"
"No I don't"
"OK" (takes it away)
"YES I DO PUT IT BACK"

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Chin Strap posted:

My kid is 2 and a half. We aren't quite at rules lawyering, but we are at the negotiating phase.

"LAST HANDFUL"
"No, we said that would be the last handful of nuts"
"NO. *LAST* LAST HANDFUL"

Also the really annoying thing of saying one thing and then immediately the exact opposite.

"Do you want this egg?"
"No I don't"
"OK" (takes it away)
"YES I DO PUT IT BACK"

Mine's almost 2 but already does this minus the talking part so it's a lot of "unnn" and "oooo" while pointing. If he pushes it away, try again later. :sigh:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

My two year old recently learned the phrase “I no like it” which usually works as an early warning system to a meltdown

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
She's also getting bossy.

"No, daddy! Go play! Get out of here! Go play your game!"

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Chin Strap posted:

She's also getting bossy.

"No, daddy! Go play! Get out of here! Go play your game!"

My two years old is like that sometimes (mostly when tired). At night if my girlfriend reads him stories before I put him to bed when I come in he'll go "Mom go away, dad sit in chair". He's still mostly just nice, but I can't wait to see how things are when he's three!!

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
So this morning was a fun one- we had placed our 10mo son in his playpen and went to get things around for the morning, and when we got back he had pooped out of his diaper. Out of his diaper, all the way up his back. Onto the floor or the playpen, all over his toys, and all over his hands. I turned the corner to the room the pen was in and he just stood there holding onto the railings with his poo poo covered hands, smiling at as usual. He was not alone five minutes.

We haven't had an emergency bath in some time, so I guess we were due.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Chin Strap posted:

"Do you want this egg?"
"No I don't"
"OK" (takes it away)
"YES I DO PUT IT BACK"

My 2 1/2 year old daughter does this.

"I don't want my cuppyyyyyy"

"Okay, baby." *takes it, puts it up*

*meltdown* "I want my cuppy I want my cuppy!"

She also has a horrendously annoying habit of asking for comfort objects. Yes, you can have your blankie, it's literally wrapped around you. Your baby? Of course, go pick it up!

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
My favorite response to the conflict of "do, don't do" is (calmly): "ok". After she sees that I'm not going to blow up at her about it, she either has a brief meltdown or generally decides what she wants. Previously we offered that either she can make the choice or we can choose for her (so that all she has to choose is "I choose/they choose").

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
My niece is six and never left the threenager phase.

Public Serpent
Oct 13, 2012
Buglord
Mine is throwing some incredibly half-assed tantrums lately. Yesterday I brought her a piece of avocado and she said "nooooo not peeled I want a piece with skiiiin" but in an extremely disinterested tone, without taking her eyes off the TV. Then she still ate the avocado.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I usually don't like to brag about my kid., but we've been having a semi-rough time in daycare again over the napping issue. The teachers even say that he's not mean about it. He just won't stay in his cot and wants to hang out with the teacher and have a conversation because napping in boring. I can empathize that this is the only time the job gives them a break and to catch up on work. Its still a never ending struggle it seems. We just have to make it through this spring and he'll be in regular school. (that's not the bragging part)

When we got home from trick-or-treating last night, unprompted, he wanted to spend the rest of the evening hanging out with me and my husband and share all of his Halloween candy :3: He might be a high-energy maniac, but he has such a kind soul. Ultimately, I think that's better than not napping.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Just Offscreen posted:

So this morning was a fun one- we had placed our 10mo son in his playpen and went to get things around for the morning, and when we got back he had pooped out of his diaper. Out of his diaper, all the way up his back. Onto the floor or the playpen, all over his toys, and all over his hands. I turned the corner to the room the pen was in and he just stood there holding onto the railings with his poo poo covered hands, smiling at as usual. He was not alone five minutes.

We haven't had an emergency bath in some time, so I guess we were due.

Goon In Training.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Welp, seems like we've got baby 4.0 coming along nicely, due around the end of March. Going to be a girl this time.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
When will children ever sleep in their own bed? My almost 4 year old son is a nightmare at night - 2 hours of screaming last night. But then pops right to sleep in my bed. We have a new house. You have a Spider-Man room. Please sleep in it.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Anya posted:

When will children ever sleep in their own bed? My almost 4 year old son is a nightmare at night - 2 hours of screaming last night. But then pops right to sleep in my bed. We have a new house. You have a Spider-Man room. Please sleep in it.

When you make them. Our kids were in their own room from week 3. They don't love us any less

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
If our 3 year old comes out of her room more than twice at bedtime or tries to come into our bed in the middle of the night more than once, we zip-tie the release on the baby gate on her door so it can't open. She could (and has in the past) knocked the gate over since it's one of those that just expands but thankfully that hasn't crossed her mind. We keep the non-video monitor in her room so we'll know if she's up and needs something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

:eyepop:

devmd01 posted:

the release on the baby gate

Didn’t know where you were going with that one.