Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Not, because pulling cable isn't really an IT job responsibility.

If it's to get through an exam then you're just memorising eight colours in order so you may as well do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
Based off OPs post history I’m assuming it’s for the CCNA so I’d take the time to memorize it as I’m pretty sure I had a question on it in the old ICND1 version of the exam. I believe it was identify which was A and which was B.

Its one of those things I’d remember long enough to write it on the Whiteboard at the start and forget.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Cyks posted:

Based off OPs post history I’m assuming it’s for the CCNA so I’d take the time to memorize it as I’m pretty sure I had a question on it in the old ICND1 version of the exam. I believe it was identify which was A and which was B.

Its one of those things I’d remember long enough to write it on the Whiteboard at the start and forget.

thanks, I'll operate as if it will be on the test for sure.

remembering all the other medias is so easy, but UTP + STP really escape my brain. I'm hoping CAT5 and above is the limits to what they expect me to memorize specs wise.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I don't recall pinouts being in my CCNA books. Pretty sure it's the Net+ stuff though.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
I passed Pentest+ and I have no idea how. I felt really unprepared as I went through the questions and was positive I wasn't going to pass. I guess I knew just enough.

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment
Congrats! I’m not familiar with the structure; is it question/answer only or is there also a practical component?

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
I had two questions that were problem based and not just question and answer. 65 questions total. One of them that's still bothering me based on how it was worded

It was the equivalent of asking which combination of colors make brown

A. Red green blue yellow
B. Blue yellow red green
C. Yellow blue green red
D. Green red yellow blue

Like I didn't know what the hell they wanted

Hotel Kpro fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Aug 14, 2021

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

just had my rear end handed to me by the boson CCNA beyond what I expected...guess I should push this exam out a little :stare:

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

Famethrowa posted:

thanks, I'll operate as if it will be on the test for sure.

remembering all the other medias is so easy, but UTP + STP really escape my brain. I'm hoping CAT5 and above is the limits to what they expect me to memorize specs wise.

I read this as "unshielded twisted pair with spanning tree protocol" because that's more in line with CCNA. That said, I got mine just before the test changed, the new one might have more emphasis on that kind of cabling.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Famethrowa posted:

just had my rear end handed to me by the boson CCNA beyond what I expected...guess I should push this exam out a little :stare:

I found the Boson a little more difficult than the actual test but yeah, you should be hitting 80-90% on the Boson before you take that test.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Can anyone recommend ITIL 4 training sources? I finished ITIL 4 foundation cert earlier this year.

I was about to start the Create, Deliver & Support but poo poo was out of hand for the first 6 months and our access expired. Now they want CAD$600 for 6 months access reactivation, but our training budget got axed. I just want to get some more certs down and maybe find a better-paying remote job...

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Anyone taken the new CCNP exams? My CCNA is about to expire and I'm on the fence about going for NP.

On the one hand I'm not working in networking day to day anymore, but I think a refresher on L3 concepts wouldnt hurt either. And it'd probably be fun to get back in the CLI again.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

What is the difference between the Amazon, Google and Microsoft cloud certs? Which one is most useful in job hunting? Does anyone itt have a preference on which platform they'd rather work on?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Zapf Dingbat posted:

What is the difference between the Amazon, Google and Microsoft cloud certs? Which one is most useful in job hunting? Does anyone itt have a preference on which platform they'd rather work on?

My company did Azure training materials first since it had the biggest demand among our major customers, followed by AWS and finally Google, but I don't know how if that reflects the market as a whole.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

AWS is by far the biggest at 32%, Azure at 20% and Google Cloud at 9%. There's a smattering of smaller companies and China-only services like Alibaba and Tencent that make up the rest.

I did Azure cert because Microsoft was giving away free test vouchers and I found their training material on the website pretty good and easy to digest.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
My cloud experience so far:

Companies that moved to the cloud a while ago / cto's that have those weird beefs with Microsoft and love using macs - AWS.

Older companies that are transitioning to the cloud now that have existing Microsoft AD setups - Azure.

Startups and smaller single product companies wanting to be hip - maybe Google cloud.

They're basically all the same, but Azure rbac ties directly into active directory super easily, so it is actually much better than the others.

Doing a cert in any of them is good to get done, as the underlying principles are basically the same across clouds. Just different names, etc. Doing a cert for a different platform is mostly about remembering their different names, values and settings rather than learning how to actually build something.

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

I am the second illegitimate son of gawd who resides in hoaven.
Hopefully this is the right thread. I am wondering if anyone has recommendations for a iPhone CCNA app. I assume most are glorified flash cards but would be nice for some basic configuration or network simulation.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
I've been accepted into PerScholas' AWS ReStart program! It's 15 weeks full-time and covers everything needed to get the AWS Cloud Practitioner cert. I had started on the same course as self-study around the time I came across the PerScholas offer, and honestly found it to be a bit jarring in presentation. It kind of seemed like they were jumping all over the place. So, on the one hand, I'm excited because it's a free cert program and they partner with companies to try to provide job placement for graduates. On the other, the research I should have done before applying brings up a lot of people saying that AWS Cloud Practitioner on it's own is about as useful as a fishing pole in a desert, and suggesting that it really shouldn't take 15 weeks for the information covered.

I'm incredibly nervous because this program is 9-4 M-F. Accounting for study time outside of that, I'm going to be relying on savings which can get me through the program but not much further.

In this scenario, I'd be grateful for your opinions on whether this program/cert is worth the time investment or if I would be better off using that time focusing on different training.

Also, skipdogg recommended SIEM, if I'm going to go that route would something like this be a good start?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I can’t comment on the SIEM stuff, but I can say that 15 weeks of full time studying for a cloud practitioner cert is insane. You could get through the needed material for that cert in like, a day or two at most. I’m morbidly curious how they intend to fill the time, but I would equally say your time is probably better spent studying on your own for more advanced cloud certifications. The exams are all multiple choice and therefore not very difficult.

I’d say rather than focusing on SIEMs specifically, it would probably be better to go for a more general security cert like the sec+. If you really want to learn how to security, you should combine it with your cloud work! Build something in AWS, and then learn how to secure it, and use CloudWatch and CloudTrail to monitor. You can set up open source SIEM tooling if you really want, but I think the above is simply a far more practical sort of knowledge.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Vorenus posted:

I've been accepted into PerScholas' AWS ReStart program! It's 15 weeks full-time and covers everything needed to get the AWS Cloud Practitioner cert. I had started on the same course as self-study around the time I came across the PerScholas offer, and honestly found it to be a bit jarring in presentation. It kind of seemed like they were jumping all over the place. So, on the one hand, I'm excited because it's a free cert program and they partner with companies to try to provide job placement for graduates. On the other, the research I should have done before applying brings up a lot of people saying that AWS Cloud Practitioner on it's own is about as useful as a fishing pole in a desert, and suggesting that it really shouldn't take 15 weeks for the information covered.

I'm incredibly nervous because this program is 9-4 M-F. Accounting for study time outside of that, I'm going to be relying on savings which can get me through the program but not much further.

In this scenario, I'd be grateful for your opinions on whether this program/cert is worth the time investment or if I would be better off using that time focusing on different training.

Also, skipdogg recommended SIEM, if I'm going to go that route would something like this be a good start?

There are more qualified people to speak to it but I'll say that is insane for the entry-level certification. A Cloud Guru has a class covering the certification: it's a 10 hour class with labs, and you can get a monthly membership for $40.

https://acloudguru.com/course/aws-certified-cloud-practitioner

I don't have any affiliation with ACG, you can pick any of the other major educators and they'll have similar deals. Don't eat in to your savings for that certification.

*Hell, here is a free course on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hLmDS179YE

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Sep 12, 2021

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Hughmoris posted:

There are more qualified people to speak to it but I'll say that is insane for the entry-level certification. A Cloud Guru has a class covering the certification: it's a 10 hour class with labs, and you can get a monthly membership for $40.

https://acloudguru.com/course/aws-certified-cloud-practitioner

I don't have any affiliation with ACG, you can pick any of the other major educators and they'll have similar deals. Don't eat in to your savings for that certification.

*Hell, here is a free course on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hLmDS179YE

Agree with taking a different approach, hell I've seen threads where people with no prior experience but with lots of free time do the all AWS associate certs within as little as 90 days

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Yeah, I’ll just echo that 15 weeks for the cloud practitioner is a real :psyduck:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Any of the associate level certifications for AWS are mainly just marketing certifications. They make sure you are familiar with the terminology and try to sell you EC2 instances. 15 weeks is insane. I did a one-week course and left with three certifications at that level.

To the OP what's your experience with the cloud and computers in general are you starting from zero?

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
I've spent a lot of time on computers, but not in a professional capacity. I've put together my own PC, learned how to gently caress around with Windows settings and port forwarding kind of stuff. So definitely capable of learning/working with tech, but with a very shallow knowledge base.

I'm wondering if cantrill.io is a good option but right now I'm just laughing at myself for getting excited over what amounts to the IT version of Reading Rainbow.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Vorenus posted:

I've spent a lot of time on computers, but not in a professional capacity. I've put together my own PC, learned how to gently caress around with Windows settings and port forwarding kind of stuff. So definitely capable of learning/working with tech, but with a very shallow knowledge base.

I'm wondering if cantrill.io is a good option but right now I'm just laughing at myself for getting excited over what amounts to the IT version of Reading Rainbow.

Adrian Cantrill was a good instructor for AWS cert prep when he was with Linux Academy and I imagine he's still considered one of the best out there, I personally prefer Stephane Maarek

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

I haven’t taken a course on cantrill.io yet but his material looks very good. Stephane Maarek is great as well.

Would choose either over ACG as that turned to poo poo over the years. Although pluralsight just bought them so it might become better again in the future.

Without any cloud experience I watched the AWS free course for Cloud Practicioner. I spent 4 half days on getting familiar with the services and memorizing what’s what. Took the exam on the 5th day and passed easily.

I do have an extensive IT background so I was already familiar with many of the concepts so in the end it was really more about remembering which service did what. I think it’s more aimed at presales / non IT people. For that reason it had little value to me personally. The overview was nice, but the cert doesn’t mean anything. I only took it because I was in netween 2 roles and my employer paid for it.

Take it as a warm up and immediately start on the AWS Associate cert (Solution Architect, SysOps or Developer) that looks like it fits your current skills (or interests) the most.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Jeesis posted:

Hopefully this is the right thread. I am wondering if anyone has recommendations for a iPhone CCNA app. I assume most are glorified flash cards but would be nice for some basic configuration or network simulation.

Flashcard style apps aside, since I'm sure they exist and probably aren't too different, it's not worth the headache. Cisco had a packet tracer phone app for configs and it was worse then useless. Better off watching YouTube tutorials of configs if you are going mobile.

My studying recommendation if you aren't at home is to get a netbook and use remote desktop to practice configs on a home desktop or server if using PacketTracer. I've not used GN3 but if it's like CML I presume you can also use a public NAT to access the VM instance on your browser.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Apologies if I'm making GBS threads up the thread, but I messaged the director of admissions seeking clarification on the course and whether there was something I was missing that would justify the 15-week length:

quote:

The AWS re/Start Curriculum focuses on two key technical areas, IT Fundamentals and AWS Cloud, to help learners succeed in entry-level cloud positions. The technical portion of the curriculum is predominantly hands-on through real-world, scenario-based exercises, labs, and coursework, and includes the end-to-end completion of a project from ideation to reporting, in order to exercise real life processes. In addition to technical skills, AWS re/Start teaches soft skills to prepare learners to succeed in a professional environment by preparing them to think critically, build multi-level projects, team dynamics, project planning, communication, and collaboration.

I believe because we are adding IT fundamentals and professional development training adds to a longer course. You have to also take into consideration labs and scenario based exercises. Our program is a much more comprehensive package.

The bolded part might actually be valuable for reducing culture shock coming from a hospitality background. For the hands-on, I'm not sure that provides anything that Cantrell doesn't, and I don't know whether a potential employer would consider that as relevant experience. As far as I can tell, it comes down to getting a headstart with Solutions Architect (which Cantrell also covers Cloud Pract in) versus hoping PerScholas' corporate connections land me a job if I follow through with the program.

What certs would you all focus to get in entry-level? I'm seeing a lot of postings wanting Security+ and Network+ in addition to platform-specific certs, but then again I'm seeing a lot of postings wanting a Bachelors' and 5 years experience to get a helpdesk job so it's difficult to put into perspective.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
passed my gcp security cert. very easy exam if you know IAM in any depth. some annoying gotchas with their add ons like forseti, but i was super confident in about 95% of my answers with about a day or so worth of studying.

Which just about does it for GCP certs for me. Having finished the Professional Architect, Network, and Security certs (and the associate engineer cert but that's basically just "name the service"), the Architect cert was by far the hardest due to the case studies. Very much recommend taking a course for that one. The other two can be entirely self taught just by reading the documentation.

Not quite sure what to do next. My AWS ACE cert is expiring next summer, so I'll use that an excuse to dip my toes back in those particular waters. Not remotely looking forwards to memorizing the terrible Amazon names for their services. Otherwise, I think it's probably time to branch beyond the major clouds.

I'm thinking maybe a linux cert just to formally learn everything in depth, probably one or two k8s certs as well. Beyond that, I guess a CISSP once I actually have 5 years of working experience, which I've heard miserable things about but every employer including our favourite Pillow Man seems to be obsessed with. Pentesting always seemed like fun to study in depth, but I think I'll need some more JS experience first. I'm taking suggestions here is what I'm getting at.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Vorenus posted:

Apologies if I'm making GBS threads up the thread, but I messaged the director of admissions seeking clarification on the course and whether there was something I was missing that would justify the 15-week length:

The bolded part might actually be valuable for reducing culture shock coming from a hospitality background. For the hands-on, I'm not sure that provides anything that Cantrell doesn't, and I don't know whether a potential employer would consider that as relevant experience. As far as I can tell, it comes down to getting a headstart with Solutions Architect (which Cantrell also covers Cloud Pract in) versus hoping PerScholas' corporate connections land me a job if I follow through with the program.

What certs would you all focus to get in entry-level? I'm seeing a lot of postings wanting Security+ and Network+ in addition to platform-specific certs, but then again I'm seeing a lot of postings wanting a Bachelors' and 5 years experience to get a helpdesk job so it's difficult to put into perspective.

My final two cents would be don't go in to a hole for 15-weeks on an entry level certification. If the course is completely free and you don't have to stop working, or eat in your savings, then go for it. If that isn't the case, I'd take advantage of the enormous amount of free content on the web for the AWS Cloud Practioner cert.

Congrats!

Uno Venova
Jan 19, 2020

Vorenus posted:

This is interesting are you taking the AWS Per Scholas too? I just got in the free course and I'm excited, is the consensus that this takes way too long?

I was planning on getting A+ certified and then having this as a second learning experience to start looking for jobs...

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I'm taking SANS SEC530 and it's ok so far. It's been a lot of operational knowledge (securing NTP!) and more geared towards basic-intermediate security engineering than I was expecting.

This is all good foundational stuff but I'm hoping we get heavier into threat modeling and zero trust architecture otherwise I may come away disappointed.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Just passed the AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner exam.

I prepared off and on over the past few days. My method was to put a few practice test banks in to Anki flashcards, and run through those. Any question/answers that didn't stick I would go look up on AWS.

Next step is to actually start building stuff and adjusting my resume.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum

Uno Venova posted:

This is interesting are you taking the AWS Per Scholas too? I just got in the free course and I'm excited, is the consensus that this takes way too long?

I was planning on getting A+ certified and then having this as a second learning experience to start looking for jobs...

7 hours a day, 5 days a week, for 15 weeks for an entry level cert? Yes that's an absurd length for a class although it sounds like you get slightly more out of it than just a cert. I can't find any statistics about their job placement rates so it's hard to say if it will provide a direct line into a job or if you need to suffer through help desk or something first before doing cloud stuff and things.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
The city I'm in, this will be their first time doing AWS, although it's pretty new to PerScholas as a whole. They admitted upfront that because of this, they don't have the same pool of company placement connections versus their other programs. I asked for a placement rate and they said they would get back to me (they didn't).

I'm just going to do cantrell's Solutions Analyst course for now. I have a month head start over the program, he includes Cloud Practitioner in the SA course, and I'm not forced to not work for three months. Just getting to the part where he goes into networking basics, wondering if this will also be a nice foundation for getting Network+.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Hotel Kpro posted:

7 hours a day, 5 days a week, for 15 weeks for an entry level cert? Yes that's an absurd length for a class although it sounds like you get slightly more out of it than just a cert. I can't find any statistics about their job placement rates so it's hard to say if it will provide a direct line into a job or if you need to suffer through help desk or something first before doing cloud stuff and things.

That's longer then my school semester, with more classtime, for a single cert.

I'm skeptical but I hope your experience is good.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

FCKGW posted:

AWS is by far the biggest at 32%, Azure at 20% and Google Cloud at 9%. There's a smattering of smaller companies and China-only services like Alibaba and Tencent that make up the rest.

I did Azure cert because Microsoft was giving away free test vouchers and I found their training material on the website pretty good and easy to digest.

Curious where did you got those percentages?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Khagan posted:

Curious where did you got those percentages?

Got it from here: https://www.statista.com/chart/18819/worldwide-market-share-of-leading-cloud-infrastructure-service-providers/

suicide4sexbots
Jul 24, 2015

caught in a hyperloop,
spun out into static -
you were never there,
i was never here

so why does my car
still smell like ass
College Slice
I'm interested in taking the 200-901 DEVASC, so I've been going through the CBT Nuggets DevNet Associate track on my own time. Unfortunately, I've gotten to the part where the instructors are using an outdated version of VIRL to work with NETCONF/YAML. I'd like to continue to follow along, but the differences between the version of VIRL they are using (which is a version from around early 2020) and the newer "CML 2.0" software I have installed are making things confusing.

My questions for the thread are:

• Am I doing this wrong? Is there a better, more current e-learning course I could follow? Sadly, the Cisco e-learning package is prohibitively expensive ($800)
  • Can anyone recommend a good third-party CML 2.0 guide? I've been referencing the Cisco documentation, but it can be very dry/technical for a new user.

At this point, any help or direction would be greatly appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

so Im currently enrolled at local community college for a Net+ course, then a CCNA one next semester. Im considering dropping the CCNA plan tho and going for an entry level AWS cert on my own. Is that advisable? I imagine the CCNA and Net+ kind of overlap for entry level positions