Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I dunno why you'd want a steam music player since you can get like i dont know foobar or aimp3 and edit in global hotkeys for pretty much everything.

Though I do hope they can do something like integrate music player functionality to big picture so you can use stuff with controller button combos
like say, home/xbox/guide button+right dpad to skip track, home+left stick to trigger shuffle, etc.
i used a weird setup for trackmania and xpadder for this and it was cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

kater posted:

Just rename the Steam thread to Pewdiepie. Yogscast. Jontron. Notch.

i once said i didnt like the yogscast and the dumb youtube cult of personality bs. when i accidentally called them youtube partners a couple dudes used that to jump in and poo poo on me as hard as only people who play lego with bugged logic gates can

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'm surprised by how far-reaching Pewdiepie is. I've never watched a single one of his videos, yet I see him mentioned all the time. I recently tried out that Double Action: Boogaloo mod and ran in to a group of people chatting and talking in the weirdest way. There was an air of weird nerd smugness, I can't quite explain it. Then they eventually started talking about how they were playing the game because they saw Pewdiepie playing it in one of his videos. It was an odd experience.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

I'm so very happy that the ugly rear end "BIG PICTURE ----->" button is gone. When did that happen?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Sphyre posted:

I'm so very happy that the ugly rear end "BIG PICTURE ----->" button is gone. When did that happen?
With the new store update.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I'm surprised by how far-reaching Pewdiepie is. I've never watched a single one of his videos, yet I see him mentioned all the time. I recently tried out that Double Action: Boogaloo mod and ran in to a group of people chatting and talking in the weirdest way. There was an air of weird nerd smugness, I can't quite explain it. Then they eventually started talking about how they were playing the game because they saw Pewdiepie playing it in one of his videos. It was an odd experience.

"Youtubers" are such a big thing these days that most indie devs are basically expected to give them free codes for the insane publicity it gives them

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

I didn't even realise he was Swedish until recently and now it makes sense why he screams at everything.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Kibayasu posted:

Not really, why does no actual company support FLAC.

Yeah, that seems a little silly. Like, my hearing isn't good enough to be able to tell the difference between FLAC and MP3s so it doesn't really affect me, but other folks seem to love the format. Steam (unlike Apple's proprietary lossless codec) has no vested interest in not being able to run them. Maybe it's a gigantic pain in the rear end to program support for FLAC?

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Vafthrudnir posted:

GW2 is a very good casual MMO.

Everything is easy, all the PvE and most of the PvP encounters are zergfests, trinity doesn't exist so you have zero responsibility in anything you do.

On the other hand it looks pretty, has no subscription so you can come and go as you please, has lots of cool places to explore, and has a neat story up until the halfway point of the game (and then it turns to poo poo.)

It's the MMO I play in between actual MMOs.

GW2 is so casual that you don't even have to play it past level 20 to see everything there is to offer.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
My copy of Elven Legacy likes to seize out in hilarious ways when I first boot it up

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
edit; nvm, good goonz always savin me bux :bigtran:

vvv

Drunk Tomato fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Sep 25, 2014

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

Drunk Tomato posted:

Anyone down for a GMG 4-pack of Gauntlet? $12 a pop. I guess I'll buy, and I've got at least 2 spots.
one GMG preorder key for a $10 Steam gift (Hangeki)

edit: Trade complete. Thanks and enjoy!

Anarch fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Sep 25, 2014

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Those curator reviews sure are a thing. What you see on DSC world's page even before the game's description starts:

:obama:

Sad Wendigo
Jul 23, 2007

Nap Ghost

bonds0097 posted:

Perhaps this is a dumb question, but you do have the toggle switch on the back of the controller set to 'xInput' and not 'DirectInput', right? If the set to the former, you shouldn't need x360ce; there shouldn't be any games that 'specifically' check for the 360 controller, that's not even part of the API so they'd have to go out of their way to do something like this, which is unlikely.

Well loving gently caress, this simple trick solved the problem.
The Logitech site, the Steam pages, a massive Google search, and even a customer rep posting on Steam didn't think to offer this simple solution.

Why doesn't poo poo come with an instruction manual these days?

Thanks so much for bothering to post this, bonds.

Yeah I'm an idiot, go ahead and mock me.
Now I can actually try the drat game and see what i think of it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Somebody I don't know who isn't in any of the same groups as me left a comment on my profile complaining about my review of Far Cry 3. Is this something that actually happens or is it a result of these recent changes? Why would anybody read (or care!) about a review somebody they don't know/have no common relationship with wrote about a game? How would they even find it in the first place? :psyduck:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jerusalem posted:

Why would anybody read (or care!) about a review somebody they don't know/have no common relationship with wrote about a game? How would they even find it in the first place? :psyduck:

That's the entire idea behind curators and game recommendations and it makes absolutely no sense to me. "Here are my recommendations for video games you should play, random person on the internet. I too am a random person on the internet and I am credible because I have an opinion about something!"

Like I can get if maybe a group you were in decided to start curating because you already know those people, but I'm not gonna look at some rando's page and be like "hmmmm I wonder what games this person would recommend to me on the Steam platform! Oh, it's all lovely shovelware Greenlight garbage, what do you know!"

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Jerusalem posted:

Somebody I don't know who isn't in any of the same groups as me left a comment on my profile complaining about my review of Far Cry 3. Is this something that actually happens or is it a result of these recent changes? Why would anybody read (or care!) about a review somebody they don't know/have no common relationship with wrote about a game? How would they even find it in the first place? :psyduck:

Anybody can read your reviews, and your review may have been randomly placed on their store page for FC3, depending on how many people "found it helpful".

No idea why they'd bother commenting on it of they disagree, though. But its the internet so who knows.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

tehsid posted:

No idea why they'd bother commenting on it of they disagree

tehsid posted:

its the internet

You answered your own question.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Do not ask me how many people add me and, when I ask how they found me, generally go "it was because of X review".

I tend to dump a lot of them later because why would I want nearly-silent randos on my friendlist, but yeah, curiousity almost always makes me ask in the first place, and that's the reason given 99% of the time.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

tehsid posted:

Anybody can read your reviews, and your review may have been randomly placed on their store page for FC3, depending on how many people "found it helpful".

So far there have been zero ratings for it so I'm even more confused!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Anime Waifu reviews seems pretty trustworthy.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

Xaris posted:

So has anyone given Defense Grid 2 a try? I can't imagine it's worth the price their asking so definitely waiting for a sale, just wondering how it is and how improved it is over DG1

I'm really enjoying it, but I also really liked DG1. They've added some new towers, such as the boost, which you build other towers on top of. There's also multiple AIs which each has a different super/laser weapon and they also have some pretty amusing conversations. I haven't done anything other than single-player, but it looks like there's multiplayer stuff, too. I'd recommend it right now, even more so when it goes on sale.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Also new in this update: game browser doesn't allow you to list games by metacritic anymore but only by Steam review scores AND you can't sort from lowest to highest.

EDIT: also you can't switch to only positive or negative reviews, you can only sort by popularity in different time frames.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Sep 25, 2014

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Are MetaCritic scores that much of a loss? MetaCritic managed to take the already laughable state of professional game reviewing and mangle what little sense it made with a godawful conversion of everything to a 100 point scale.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Are MetaCritic scores that much of a loss? MetaCritic managed to take the already laughable state of professional game reviewing and mangle what little sense it made with a godawful conversion of everything to a 100 point scale.

I did like that they were listing the players' reviews, instead of or in addition to just the 'professional media' reviews, metacritic-wise.

I don't like the binary GOOD/BAD of the steam review scores. Sure, they find the mean from the total set to display, but even so, I'd even prefer a 3-point rating, even if it were just a -1, 0.5, and 1 type of thing.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Sep 25, 2014

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
I was stressing out about some things, and finally sat down to play Kentucky Route Zero. There's three chapters out now (of the planned 5) and I played through the first 2.

I now feel relaxed and like I'm in a bit of a zen state.

It's on sale now for the next 5 hours: http://store.steampowered.com/app/231200/

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Trine 1 and 2 are getting mod tools, and they're out now in public beta.

quote:

The reason we’ve held off releasing the editor to the public before has been quite simple. It’s pretty difficult to use if you don’t know what you’re doing, and there’s *very* little documentation or tooltips.

So did we make an easy-to-use version for everyone to enjoy? The answer to that is... not really :) Instead we’ve opened a wiki page at https://www.frozenbyte.com/wiki and provided some very basic instructions on how to use our editor. It’s an open wiki after you’ve registered, so anyone can edit and post information, and we hope that people will start to share their knowledge with everyone.

The Frozenbyte Editor is a very diverse tool. This is what we use to make games like Trine and Trine 2, and it’s based entirely on our own technology. You can now edit existing maps, make new maps and do all kinds of things with it. If this sounds like fun, go ahead and play with the features and experiment!

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Drifter posted:

I don't like the binary GOOD/BAD of the steam review scores. Sure, they find the mean from the total set to display, but even so, I'd even prefer a 3-point rating, even if it were just a -1, 0.5, and 1 type of thing.

You want to give the steamcommunity more options to gently caress up? They can barely handle Recommend/Don't.

quote:

Frozenbyte Editor is used for Trine Enchanted Edition and for Trine 2. Also all of our upcoming games will be created using Frozenbyte Editor (except Splot :)).

Does that mean Spolt is cancelled, or not? Still waiting for my steam key :argh:

tight aspirations fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Sep 25, 2014

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

CJacobs posted:

That's the entire idea behind curators and game recommendations and it makes absolutely no sense to me. "Here are my recommendations for video games you should play, random person on the internet. I too am a random person on the internet and I am credible because I have an opinion about something!"

Like I can get if maybe a group you were in decided to start curating because you already know those people, but I'm not gonna look at some rando's page and be like "hmmmm I wonder what games this person would recommend to me on the Steam platform! Oh, it's all lovely shovelware Greenlight garbage, what do you know!"

I think the complaint is pretty short sighted. Having game recommendations by the community is what Amazon and the AppStore does and it works pretty well. I'd much rather have people who've actually purchased the game give recommendations than some vague Metacritic score, which is a contextless number.

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Sep 25, 2014

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Tezzeract posted:

GW2 is so casual that you don't even have to play it past level 20 to see everything there is to offer.

You can't do about 80% of the games content at level 20. If you don't like the game just say so but don't claim things that are untrue.

Gw2 is a really fun game that has gotten huge improvements since release. It's problem was it advertised itself as a WOW killer when it wasn't, it's a completely different type of MMO and people were justifiably disappointed by that.

It's done well for itself though and currently sits at the 2nd more popular mmo at the moment. It's amazing how WOW has remanded at the top for so good drat long, especially since its still got the traditional subscription model.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Sep 25, 2014

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"
Really struggling with getting the 20 hit critical strike achievement in Batman: Origins, any tips? Didn't have this much problem with critical hits in game 1 and 2.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Drifter posted:

I did like that they were listing the players' reviews, instead of or in addition to just the 'professional media' reviews, metacritic-wise.

This is douchey of me, but 0.5 is not the midpoint between -1 and 1.

AlbertRayon
Sep 9, 2004

Hey, hey what can I do? I got a woman, she won't be true.

Jerusalem posted:

I have people I don't know comment on my reviews frequently. This happened before the changes to the store. People get weird about games sometimes.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

bonds0097 posted:

This is douchey of me, but 0.5 is not the midpoint between -1 and 1.

Jokes on you, he was scaling for IGN's 7.5 being "average".

Mega Comrade posted:

You can't do about 80% of the games content at level 20. If you don't like the game just say so but don't claim things that are untrue.

Gw2 is a really fun game that has gotten huge improvements since release. It's problem was it advertised itself as a WOW killer when it wasn't, it's a completely different type of MMO and people were justifiably disappointed by that.

It's done well for itself though and currently sits at the 2nd more popular mmo at the moment. It's amazing how WOW has remanded at the top for so good drat long, especially since its still got the traditional subscription model.

Maybe you played it on launch?

I've tried playing it many times and the game never clicked. It's fun leveling to 20 but then it feels like I've seen all the interesting bits of the game since the rest of the world is dead.

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Sep 25, 2014

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Mega Comrade posted:

GW2 is basically the "Do anything you want" online RPG. Everything gets you experience (from killing monster, crafting, exploring, doing events, jump puzzles, story missions, etc) and the end game is basically dressing up your character. Hell, try it for free now if any one in the Steam Thread has ever been interested: https://register.guildwars2.com/trial

One thing through: They just completely redid how leveling and skill unlock works so it kind of caters to people that have never played a online game before but it only annoying for around 30 or so mins of game time.

Tezzeract posted:

I've tried playing it many times and the game never clicked. It's fun leveling to 20 but then it feels like I've seen all the interesting bits of the game since the rest of the world is dead.

Have you tried playing it since Megaserver was implemented? The world being dead is the last thing I would describe it. Its fine if it just doesn't click for you through, you always have the chance to come back and try at any time.

BexGu fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Sep 25, 2014

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
gently caress MMOs, Formula Fusion was just announced for PC:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPnkFTXsG6c
It's made by people from Studio Liverpool/Psygnosis so it should be at least good.

Stoked to see it on PC but at the same time it's really sad to see Sony didn't care about the franchise that helped them sell PSX back in the day. Wipeout HD/Fury was really really good but they peppered it with unskippable ads (patched them out in an update but it was too late).

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Downs Duck posted:

Really struggling with getting the 20 hit critical strike achievement in Batman: Origins, any tips? Didn't have this much problem with critical hits in game 1 and 2.

Important question: Do you actually have critical strikes unlocked yet? The game doesn't pony them up until about half way through, after you fight a boss in what is technically an optional side mission. Because Origins has some really, really loving stupid design decisions.

If you're otherwise seeing critical hits pop up before that, you're probably getting critical counters, which you get well before critical strikes for some reason.

Edit: I think you're actually on my friends list and according to the cheevos right on my activity feed you must have them unlocked already, so nevermind, I got nothin'. :v:

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Sep 25, 2014

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
The problem with GW2 is how it's been staggered. It's pretty much killed the game for most people.

Like the 1-max level experience is actually pretty fun. The dungeons aren't amazing, but they've gotten better. And the PvP is ( or was ) pretty well handled last I checked as well.

The thing is, they've been constantly adding new content every month/two months or so, usually a new questline//area/boss/story bits/whatever. And combined this is probably double the length of the base game, and added in a ton of new areas/zones/cool stuff. Only problem is they are all timed for whatever godawful reason, so as soon as the timer is up, it's removed and replaced by something new.

So for returning players, all they've "added" is a single quest hub with maybe 10 quests/a boss fight, which they'll burn through in a few hours before burning out again. You actually have to pay attention to their site, learn when things are coming, and then set aside time to go play them if you want to keep up to date with GW2. Oh, and since it's all story content, and largely tied to the story content that came before, you'll find yourself talking to people that assume you know them/are good friends with them from previous missions you never did!

It's the dumbest thing in the world. I'd go back in a second to go play through what amounts to an expansionpack plus worth of content they added, especially to see where the story has gone. Instead if I go back I'll have no idea what's happened since launch since I didn't do any of the content packs since then, and only get a quick few hours worth of new content that's several months/a year plus removed storywise from the actual end of the game.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Guild Wars 2 is the best MMO if you want to play with friends of differing levels. All the zones are level-scaled, so if you are level 30 and go into a level 15 zone, it will de-level you to 15 while you are in that zone. Almost every MMO is almost impossible to play with friends if your levels are different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Guild Wars 2 is the best MMO if you want to play with friends of differing levels. All the zones are level-scaled, so if you are level 30 and go into a level 15 zone, it will de-level you to 15 while you are in that zone. Almost every MMO is almost impossible to play with friends if your levels are different.
City of Heroes. :sigh:

• Locked thread