Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.

Parahexavoctal posted:

"NOTHING OF VALUE".

It's viscerally satisfying, but some people on the talk page say it doesn't really do enough: "all punchline and no substance".

Are they right or wrong?

Is it meant to be unclear what the disappeared book/movie series is? Because I thought it was glaringly obvious from the very first bullet point. Admittedly I am very Online.

The anomaly itself strikes me as a less interesting take on ideas that have been done repeatedly, like the self-deleting narratives, or the one about a magic ritual for creating horses but nobody knows what a horse is so they're seen as disturbing alien creatures. I do like the football hooligan bit, and the stinger about other historical events and persons being accidentally created by the Foundation (reminds me of this Onion article. But I agree, it'd work better as an aside in a Tale, and the elaboration into a full article isn't all that interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

ScienceSeagull posted:

Is it meant to be unclear what the disappeared book/movie series is? Because I thought it was glaringly obvious from the very first bullet point.

It's meant to be glaringly obvious to us, the readers.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Parahexavoctal posted:

"NOTHING OF VALUE".

It's viscerally satisfying, but some people on the talk page say it doesn't really do enough: "all punchline and no substance".

Are they right or wrong?

This would be more interesting to me if it weren't the obvious reference, tbh. I feel like the concept of "we lost something that was a major pop-cultural artifact, but the world and normalcy seems stable and we're pretty sure culture isn't meaningfully impoverished by its loss, so it's not worth the cost to try and restore" has potential legs, in terms of when the fight to preserve the status quo just isn't worth it, but doing it to Harry Potter in particular feels trite and jokey. Also the ongoing problem of "putting tons of mental effort into hating Harry Potter doesn't feel like an improvement over that effort going into loving it," tbh. Can we just... talk about something else?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Antivehicular posted:

This would be more interesting to me if it weren't the obvious reference, tbh. I feel like the concept of "we lost something that was a major pop-cultural artifact, but the world and normalcy seems stable and we're pretty sure culture isn't meaningfully impoverished by its loss, so it's not worth the cost to try and restore" has potential legs, in terms of when the fight to preserve the status quo just isn't worth it, but doing it to Harry Potter in particular feels trite and jokey. Also the ongoing problem of "putting tons of mental effort into hating Harry Potter doesn't feel like an improvement over that effort going into loving it," tbh. Can we just... talk about something else?

nah, if the thing's gonna be made it'd have to be about harry potter. you're missing a chunk of the point at the center, which is that jk rowling continues to use her fame and fortune to attack trans people & trans people speaking on that point get countered constantly with 'well but harry potter is such a big part of my life that maybe we can just pretend that it had nothing to do with her' as if upholding this specific story about magical children is really supposed to outweigh material harm

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I think that a far stronger story would be about a different, entirely fictional work being erased, with the Foundation charting out the holes it left in popular culture and identifying that Harry Potter only got popular because the other thing never existed. The real-world impact of the Harry Potter franchise—and of JKR’s platform—is well documented, and an article that made a good-faith effort to estimate what might change, for better or for worse, if the Foundation instigated a CK-class reality-altering event in order to “correct” the timeline would make for some engaging commentary. Couple that with a meditation on how meddling with the timeline is inherently dangerous because the results are entirely unpredictable, and you have a solid basis for a story about the Foundation grappling with taking action to do the “right” thing versus doing nothing and letting the status quo survive.

“Should we undo 25 years of history?” is only an interesting question to ask when the answer is maybe. 8317 clearly states that, no, nothing of value was lost, and as a result, it doesn’t have any impact beyond its punchline.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, it also feels kind of... easy to just say "look, the thing the Bad Person made (and which platformed the Bad Person into doing a lot of harm) never really mattered, we can just leave it erased." If you're trying to tell a story about preserving art versus wiping out its repulsive artist's impact on history, it's shooting yourself in the foot to have it solved with "this doesn't matter, it's totally fine."

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
I agree, and the theory that Harry Potter had no meaningful effect on fantasy literature, children's literature, or popular culture more widely is a bit hard to believe. The idea of the Foundation deciding not to fix an anomaly in history is an interesting one, but this isn't a very interesting execution of the concept.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i still think y'all are looking at an SCP that is about something very specific & real and going "well what if it stopped being about this at all" to the point of being instead about something entirely fictional. sure, you could do that, but it'd be different -- maybe in a way you'd like better, even -- and it'd stop being about why it was made in the first place

idk maybe I'm just in different circles and y'all aren't as familiar with the cultural baggage it carries these days

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I'm familiar with the cultural baggage, but I just think taking another shot at HP this way doesn't achieve much, compared to rewriting the piece to function as earnest SCP fiction ("how do we triage fixing changes to normalcy?") or doing a more general riff on the concept ("what's more valuable, preserving art of major cultural impact, or preventing that art's artist from causing harm via their platform?") Hell, even explicitly stating "the cultural damage and erosion of normalcy caused by removing Harry Potter from the time stream is justified to excise JKR and her bigotry from the popular consciousness, and the world is better off thereby," without saying "actually none of this matters and it wasn't a real dilemma." Right now it's just a cathartic vent-joke, and that's fine, but it's just not much.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Is the similarly cringey yelling at twitter one about trump and the supreme court wizards still up

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
If that's the "Trump is a massive reality sink and the 2016 election was rigged to defeat an antimemetic demon that lives under the white house" one then yeah I think so

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

not only that but its oven +700, which is insane

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
It’s because it feels bad to vote down something that you politically agree with. so you agree that the president is very bad and don’t think about how it’s badly written and really just sort of a weird vent piece and a comforting fictional conspiracy about what it has to happen.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

ScienceSeagull posted:

The anomaly itself strikes me as a less interesting take on ideas that have been done repeatedly
Honestly, the first thing I thought of was SCP-2000 / "Deus Ex Machina", and nothing in the Harry Potter one comes close to

quote:

Two World Wars is plenty. We do not need to hazard a third.
in terms of justifying why The Foundation would leave reality rewritten.

Also, on a personal note, I just finally got around to checking out Garth Nix's work earlier this year (highly recommend the audiobook as read by Tim Curry), so it's fresh in my mind how drastically the dates do not line up for that to be the "replacement" film series; their respective Hollywood pitches were a full decade apart.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
Gotta appreciate the extra dose of "UGH" that comes with the Harry Potter one including a cross-link to another SCP which has, apparently, been up since 2017 and can be summarized "it's a youkai, but we added in Harry Potter references"

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I have zero love for The Bad Person and their Subpar Series of Books, but the Foundation looking through all known anomalies and all the absurd about of effort they put into suppressing them, often for little to no benefit beyond 'status quo', and choosing this one as the one to ignore is Extremely Online. We can feed hundreds of D-Class a day to controlling anomalies, but football hooligans and train stations is just too hard.

I guess its ok for an SCP but the question about preserving art vs the harm caused by an artist feels about as meta as you can get, and the veneer of an SCP being stretched over the author just stating their (not incorrect) opinions is paper thin. I can totally understand not liking it. Refusing to acknowledge The Bad Person and their Subpar Series of Books is doing at least as much to deplatform them as writing a mean fictional story about them on a wiki of fictional stories. I don't have an account and don't vote, but if I did, it would get a 'present' vote.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Akumeoy posted:

I'm inclined to agree with Djoric in the discussion page -- this is only worth a brief aside in a tale.

Or something to that effect.

Also, the mechanics of Rowling not creating Harry Potter in the new reality (couldn't catch the train where she purportedly planned the entire story out) implicitly buys into her self-mythologizing about the genesis of the series. Which isn't like, a mortal sin, but it's a funny detail to take her word about.
Replace this bit with her childhood library not stocking any copies of The Worst Witch.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

AmiYumi posted:

Also, on a personal note, I just finally got around to checking out Garth Nix's work earlier this year (highly recommend the audiobook as read by Tim Curry), so it's fresh in my mind how drastically the dates do not line up for that to be the "replacement" film series; their respective Hollywood pitches were a full decade apart.
Yeah, I'm 100% behind taking potshots at the Queen of Terf Island, but as a person who grew up on UK children's books it would have worked better if had been entirely replaced by something equally derivative of existing UK children's series. "The world is exactly the same except some other British lady published a book a couple months later about a boy who finds out he has magical powers during a sailing holiday to the Lake District" would have even a much more accurate skewering of the "it's so unique and influential!!!" crowd.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Whoa, I just clicked on this thread and it reminded me that I actually wrote some poo poo for the site, like, actually 14 years ago. I'm so old. Looks like some of it is still up but it's not very good so not going to link it.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
two posts itt, ten years apart, amazing

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Goa Tse-tung posted:

guess we'll see them again in 2034 then

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Holy poo poo, I did not even realise.

edit: eh gently caress it, here's the bad thing I wrote: https://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/documents-recovered-from-the-residence-of-agent-waters

TURTLE SLUT has a new favorite as of 13:11 on Apr 3, 2024

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
I have a buddy who thinks "arch-arcanist of jurisprudence" is one of the funniest things he's ever read

:sigh:

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023

TURTLE SLUT posted:

Holy poo poo, I did not even realise.

edit: eh gently caress it, here's the bad thing I wrote: https://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/documents-recovered-from-the-residence-of-agent-waters

I like it. :shobon: It doesn't overstay its welcome and the scanned documents add a physicality that's otherwise pretty uncommon.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

I like it. :shobon: It doesn't overstay its welcome and the scanned documents add a physicality that's otherwise pretty uncommon.

Totally agree, I've been reading this dumb scp poo poo for years and the physical paper pictures redacted after the fact and the pen drawn annotations were enough that it made me smile, this was good

You gotta explain the AAAAAAAAAAs though, please

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

postmodifier posted:

AA'A AAAA AAAAAA

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
AAAAAA I see

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

postmodifier posted:

I think the idea was just corrupted data in the translation or something so I could block out parts of the documents with something else than black boxes.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Ariong posted:

That train is where she would have grabbed a napkin and written the words that defined a generation of readers: “The snake is an Indonesian woman.”

And then on the back of the train ticket "Dumbledore is gay. There is a jewish wizard called goldstein. Wizards poo poo themselves until the early 20th century"

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Lib and let die posted:

I have a buddy who thinks "arch-arcanist of jurisprudence" is one of the funniest things he's ever read

:sigh:
you should recommend them Austin Grossman's Crooked, a book written from the perspective of neophyte magus Richard Nixon about the magical conspiracies underpinning the Cold War and his struggle against the thousand year old sorcerer known as Kissinger and what happened at Watergate

(it is about 100x worse than that description made it sound, but I am considering the target audience when I make this post. also I hope I have the right Grossman brother, it's by the one who didn't write The Magicians)

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus

DACK FAYDEN posted:

you should recommend them Austin Grossman's Crooked, a book written from the perspective of neophyte magus Richard Nixon about the magical conspiracies underpinning the Cold War and his struggle against the thousand year old sorcerer known as Kissinger and what happened at Watergate

(it is about 100x worse than that description made it sound, but I am considering the target audience when I make this post. also I hope I have the right Grossman brother, it's by the one who didn't write The Magicians)

It’s fun how it makes Nixon the magus just as pathetic and venal and frustrated as the real Nixon.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Interesting method of storytelling.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Okay, this is interesting. Can you guess the punchline?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Parahexavoctal posted:

Okay, this is interesting. Can you guess the punchline?

so the SCP is Obama? Who got erased somehow due to making a deal with a demon?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Tunicate posted:

so the SCP is Obama? Who got erased somehow due to making a deal with a demon?

The SCP is the whole phenomenon resulting from the deal with the demon.

The demon is "known for stealing the appearance, function, and memories of the thing that the individual who summoned it loves the most, in exchange for boons."

The guy who summoned the demon admitted that he was basically "married to his job".

He told the demon "You take the function of what you steal, right? Look at where we loving are! The headquarters of a loving drug agency! You have any idea how much money you could make?"

The agency he worked for, the thing he loved the most above all else... its name is on the half-destroyed sign on the wall.

The sign reads partm t of Anom lou Drugs and Ordinan.

What do those initials spell?

Parahexavoctal has a new favorite as of 18:48 on Apr 15, 2024

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Is the department of abnormalities supposed to be like a take on the series 1 foundation, with its rooms of simple generically spooky stuff and sparse descriptions

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

So the agency… made drugs? And the demon gained the ability to make drugs and became dado?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

FrancisFukyomama posted:

Is the department of abnormalities supposed to be like a take on the series 1 foundation, with its rooms of simple generically spooky stuff and sparse descriptions

it's a vibes thing I think

minimal description, let your head fill in the horror

but also constant references and I think probably a future 20k word article at some point destroying all the mystery

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Ariong posted:

So the agency… made drugs? And the demon gained the ability to make drugs and became dado?

They were the agency that managed the seizure and storage of anomalous drugs and weapons. Now the demon is doing that instead. And using its stolen status as a government agency to procure reagents and other supplies.

And then, because it's greedy, it tries to sell the stuff it has stockpiled.

the article's talk page posted:

90% of the articles featuring him have him as a one-note, one-dimensional joke. He has three basic elements to him: he doesn't communicate well, he's greedy, and he makes anomalous pharmaceuticals

Not sure how well it works. It's ambitious, though.

Also, "'Rights to the Corpse of Ronald Reagan' ($90)" as a budget item, pleases me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Eh, it's not badly executed, but I lean towards "this particular character did not require a backstory or deep lore." I was more interested in the background interactions between the Foundation and the feds, tbh