Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I think people in this thread and the other thread are just really cynical and trying to be hipsters about liking Game of Thrones. I've never met anyone outside of the internet who said Game of Thrones was poo poo like the people here do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Game Of Thrones is good. I dunno if people really realise how bad TV is

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
granted, jessica jones still beats GoT on anal sex content but I guess it couldn't win everything

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I love watching GoT and then posting how it is dumb. Really as long as it has tits and dragons I will watch it and post how sexist it is.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Book readers went ape poo poo about the last season. The only thing I agreed with them about was the snake sisters or whatever sucking and Jaime's story about going to Dorn was kind of weak other than god-tier tits. But one guy in particular posted about it like for a month constantly and he has thankfully moved on.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i am not a book reader and really liked seasons 1-4. 5 was mostly bad.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I hope season 6 starts with Tyrion, the harpies, and the others just looking around wondering what they should do now.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The Dorne subplot was absolutely inexcusably terrible. No one on earth can defend it.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
the only logical conclusion of the sand snakes ends with them gang banginging zombie mountain to death to avenge the red viper

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
Overall I like GoT, and have not read any of the books. Season 5 is the weakest so far, mostly because it only showed all the good guys and bad guys all getting punished throughout all 10 episodes. The biggest thing I looked forward to since the end of season 4, was seeing more of the Children of the Forest and Bran Stark and Hodor... which season 5 had absolutely nothing on.

List of punishments doled out to people in season 5:

Cersei: jailed and walk of shame
Margaery: jailed
Loras: jailed
Shireen: sacrificed/murdered
Selyse: suicide
Melisandre: abandoned Stannis in failure
Stannis: executed
Sansa: lovely betroth and raped
Selmy: died in combat
Jorah Mormont: shaky grounds with Dany + greyscale
Dany: Got lost while flying her dragon, stuck with Dothraki
Myrcella: murdered
Littlefinger: Whore houses destroyed
Arya: blinded
Jon Snow: murdered
Tyrion: did absolutely nothing of consequence

Things I'm looking forward to (hopefully):
Davos becoming unchained
Tyrion doing something of consequence
The Mountain v2.0
Reek and Sansa's travel adventure
Arya becoming an assassin
Bran Stark and Children of the Forest subplot??

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The Dorne subplot was absolutely inexcusably terrible. No one on earth can defend it.
This tumblr blog put it best:

quote:

This is possibly the dumbest plot line I have ever watched on television. I cannot believe this made it out of the writers room. It is so embarrassing. Let’s get into it.
Sending Jaime to Dorne to sneak Myrcella out is like sending Bradley Cooper on a secret spy mission to Greece. He’s the most famous man in Westeros, everyone is going to know him from his ice cream ads.
Dorne is the only section of the country that never bent the knee, they weren’t conquered by DRAGONS they were so badass. And you are going to send a one handed man in his forties and his pal to retrieve a princess from Dorne’s inner capital? gently caress offfff.
Bronn, you knew the ship’s captain was going to turn Jaime in as soon as they got there, why didn’t you mention that BEFORE YOU GOT ON THE BOAT AND COME UP WITH ANOTHER PLAN?
The brilliant plan they come up with is to sneak into the Water Gardens in BROAD DAYLIGHT, in the MIDDLE OF THE DAY, in a lovely DISGUISE with NO RECON and NO EXIT STRATEGY. Has Jaime become mentally handicapped? Is that the low-key story they are telling? Of Jaime’s mental decline? I guess that might be interesting but I don’t know why they had to sacrifice the Sand Snakes to get there which brings me to:
Sand Snakes: not your fault, but how are you guys not having nuanced conversations about anger/revenge/violence? Why are you all so one note and boring? (Spoiler because you have vaginas.)
That dude came and did you a solid and told you where Jaime was and you killed him? Unnecessary.
You know Jaime Lannister is coming. WHY WOULD YOU NOT LAY A TRAP FOR HIM? (Spoiler alert: his plan is terrible! You can easily spoil it!)
Ellaria, why are you hanging out by the fountain looking all shocked when the cops come? What did you think was gonna happen, the Sand Snakes were going to walk through the WATER GARDENS at 2 PM in the afternoon holding Myrcella’s head and Doran was going to be like “good job guys”?
WHY DID JAIME AND THE SAND SNAKES ATTACK AT THE EXACT SAME TIME? THAT WOULD NEVER HAPPEN. My loving god. CSI has less convenient timing. WHO WROTE THIS? WERE THEY TIRED? DRINK A REDBULL AND COME UP WITH SOMETHING ELSE.
That fight scene was so terribly choreographed. It looked like rear end. The Sand Snakes are amazing fighters and that was some Legend of Hercules: Kevin Sorbo bullshit. ARE YOU JUST NOT TRYING ANYMORE? WHAT IS HAPPENING? (Also such motherfucking bullshit that one handed Jaime wouldn’t die immediately going up against a Sand Snake. You can’t change these awesome women’s storyline so much AND make them terrible fighters. I was so amped for these characters and this is what I get? This? gently caress you show. gently caress you so hard.)
The cops come immediately because they are fighting IN THE MIDDLE OF A COURTYARD, IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DAY and everyone gets arrested because everyone involved is behaving LIKE COMPLETE AND TOTAL IDIOTS.
If Jaime’s plan going in was to be captured, then he did a great job. If he had any other goal, then on top of being an unrepentant rapist he is the DUMBEST CHARACTER ON THE SHOW. Again, if this is a way to demonstrate Jaime’s slow mental decline, sure. I just wish Bronn didn’t have to get poisoned for that to happen. (Also when they were going into the Water Gardens and Bronn asked what the plan was, because THEY NEVER TALKED ABOUT IT BEFORE, Jaime said, “I like to improvise.” Spoiler for action writing: you only get to use lines like that if they are followed by something cool happening. “I like to improvise.” = “Getting immediately captured.” You aren’t cool, you’re just a loving idiot.)
Nothing about this plot is clever or interesting. It’s like a child has a Jaime doll and Sand Snake dolls and is banging them together.
Tristan and Myrcella…I have no problem with you. (Tristan, you’ve got great eyelashes.) You two have a kinda sweet Romeo & Juliet thing going on. Luckily since everyone around you is so stupid it looks like this time, everyone else might die and you two get to live. (Don’t let their dumb infect you tho! Be very, very careful. And again, has to be reiterated, don’t rape anyone. You are in consensual love! You don’t need to rape!)

Needless, very Needless to say, I will not be watching this sixth season of a dead franchise walking.

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Mar 30, 2016

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Whole Dorne subplot justified by more Bronn and the Sand Snake's extremely good breasts

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I l ike this tv show

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I mean at the end of the day it is a fantasy TV show that managed to penetrate the mainstream to the point where my boss at work talks about it, that's pretty awesome.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

redweird posted:

Whole Dorne subplot justified by more Bronn and the Sand Snake's extremely good breasts

Agreed. There was so much wrong with Dorne, yet there was so much right about those breasts. I can't stay mad.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Parkingtigers posted:

Agreed. There was so much wrong with Dorne, yet there was so much right about those breasts. I can't stay mad.

Fun fact, Sansa is older than her, hope you feel weird now

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Fun fact, Sansa is older than her, hope you feel weird now

Not really, it is not like her acting was going to get her on a world wide TV show. Got to use what the good lord gave ya.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Isn't Arya like 25 or something? talk about weird

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Maisie Williams is 18, she was 11 when the pilot was filmed how on earth could she be 25?

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
The blog post about Dorne was all true and you could probably make a similar post about every storyline in Season 5. Season 5 was bad because most of it didn't make sense, important scenes were rushed (everything in the last episode other than Cersei), and it was just constant misery which made it unenjoyable to watch. There's nothing for a viewer to hope for. There's nothing uplifting in 10 hours of programming. There was no heart. Gone are the days when we would get fun character interactions scenes like Cersei/Robert in Season 1, or Arya/Tywin, Arya/Hot Pie, Brienne/Jaime, Varys/Littlefinger, Hound/Arya, etc..

Even in the season where the Red Wedding happened, there were huge positive moments in the other storylines. Dany got a army, conquered cities, and freed slaves. Jaime became a likable character, became friends with Brienne, and rescued her from a bear. Davos helped Gendry escape and not get burned alive. It wasn't all a downer.

Yeah, it's also worse if you read the books because I think we all know by now that the adaptive changes made it more miserable. (Barristan, Sansa, Stannis) They made Jaime less interesting by making the decision to put him in Dorne. He used to be one of most people's favorite characters. I think Dorne may have ruined that. People are definitely talking about him less.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

The problem with the book is that it may not have been as negative with some characters like Sansa, but it left them completely useless for the plot for entire books. Brienne's story is awful and meandering in the book compared to the show, where she's almost always right in the thick of it. Sansa has a "sit in the Eyrie while Littlefinger does politics" as a riveting storyline.

I agree the tone was dark, Dorne was a shameful waste, and Jaime was progressing better in the book than in the show. Win some, lose some. But I don't think the show is worse than the books, because at least it ties up loose ends rather than letting them dangle.

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy

Grouchio posted:

Needless, very Needless to say, I will not be watching this sixth season of a dead franchise walking.

Sure buddy.

See you in 25 days

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Grouchio posted:

This tumblr blog put it best:

This person has a very strange understanding of the narrative and its characters. Calling Jaime and Cersei's relationship one of, "consensual love" for starters.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Na'at posted:

Sure buddy.

See you in 25 days

This show is so dead. I mean, yeah, Season 5 was the most viewed season with the finale being the most viewed episode of the series. And anecdotally, I hear family and co-workers talking about Jon Snow everywhere. But it's dead, I tell ya.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 30, 2016

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Maarak posted:

This person has a very strange understanding of the narrative and its characters. Calling Jaime and Cersei's relationship one of, "consensual love" for starters.

In the books, things are less-rape between several characters.

In the pilot, when Drogo basically rapes Dany on the wedding night, in the books he doesn't force himself on her and actually has consentual sex.

In that one episode, Jaime straight up rapes Cersei on the steps whereas in the books IIRC that's the first time Jaime and Cersei see each other in a long time and basically jump one another.

The main question that arises from these changes is why do the showrunners like rape so much?

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Super Ninja Fish posted:

The blog post about Dorne was all true and you could probably make a similar post about every storyline in Season 5. Season 5 was bad because most of it didn't make sense, important scenes were rushed (everything in the last episode other than Cersei), and it was just constant misery which made it unenjoyable to watch. There's nothing for a viewer to hope for. There's nothing uplifting in 10 hours of programming. There was no heart. Gone are the days when we would get fun character interactions scenes like Cersei/Robert in Season 1, or Arya/Tywin, Arya/Hot Pie, Brienne/Jaime, Varys/Littlefinger, Hound/Arya, etc..
Eh, Tyrion and Varys and later Jorah were pretty fun in the way you speak of. Also Hardhome. That said, I agree that 5 was a season of failure for most of the characters - although I'm not sure why this led you to the deduction that it had 'no heart'? Failure is often the standard outcome for the middle piece of a trilogy, which 5 was - the show can roughly be divided into three parts, and 5 was the middle season of the second part (seasons 4-6).

I think that opinions about 5 may improve once 6 happens and the second part is presented in full. Currently, especially the book readers, who have come to expect to know what will happen next, don't, because there's no next book. Hence all the angst.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Phi230 posted:

In the pilot, when Drogo basically rapes Dany on the wedding night, in the books he doesn't force himself on her and actually has consentual sex.
Isn't she really young in the book?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

A Buttery Pastry posted:

She's turns 14 after she gets pregnant.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

A Buttery Pastry posted:

She's 13 during their wedding night in the book and the scene is incredibly creepy, the show being unambiguous about the fact that she's getting raped by Drogo is much preferable to whatever goes on in the book.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Best decision (out of many) the show made was to age all the younger characters up by 4 years. All these barely pubescent kids in sex scenes... GRRM is a creepy, creepy gently caress.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Parkingtigers posted:

Best decision (out of many) the show made was to age all the younger characters up by 4 years. All these barely pubescent kids in sex scenes... GRRM is a creepy, creepy gently caress.

Dany is the only underage character who has a sex scene. I mean, Jon gives Ygritte the Lord's Kiss but he's 16 and she's probably at least his age and a 11-12 year old Arya seduces an adult man in the book analogue to the Meryn Trent pedophile execution scene. Sansa gets threatened with sexual violence about every five minutes but nothing else.

Not that I disagree that aging the characters up was a good decision it's just that the 'underage sex' thing that is often attributed to these books isn't really true.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I would say that GRRM is less a creepy gently caress and more someone who understands the medieval world and its horrible, horrible nature.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

meristem posted:

Eh, Tyrion and Varys and later Jorah were pretty fun in the way you speak of. Also Hardhome. That said, I agree that 5 was a season of failure for most of the characters - although I'm not sure why this led you to the deduction that it had 'no heart'? Failure is often the standard outcome for the middle piece of a trilogy, which 5 was - the show can roughly be divided into three parts, and 5 was the middle season of the second part (seasons 4-6).

I think that opinions about 5 may improve once 6 happens and the second part is presented in full. Currently, especially the book readers, who have come to expect to know what will happen next, don't, because there's no next book. Hence all the angst.

There's very little correct in what you posted. Let me begin: The first 'trilogy' you speak of encompasses the first three books and first four seasons, not three seasons of the show. Unless you consider the first books to be the Ned, Cat, And Robb Saga. It's not; it's the story of Tywin Lannister. Tywin's death marks the true narrative end of A Game of Thrones Part One. AFFC and ADWD together make a book that you can call the first part of a second 'trilogy', but you really shouldn't.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

meristem posted:

Varys/Tyrion is okay. I don't think that compares much to Varys/Littlefinger. Varys and Tyrion are too much alike.

10 hours of failure and misery for all the storylines is a bit much. The failure part was Seasons 3-4 anyway. The show decided to prolong the failure and make it worse, whereas in the books the story gave us kind of a reprieve from failure. Most of the major characters were relatively safe. (Like Sansa) Stannis was getting revenge for us and you could actually root for Stannis the whole way. Barristan was becoming a major character and taking charge rather than dying in an alley. Jaime was still interesting and doing stuff better than Dorne. There were lots of cathartic moments for minor characters. There were things to be hopeful for.

It feels like almost everything was done in Season 5 was for the purposes of being shocking in a bad way or trolling. (By trolling, I mean like the supposed sweet Father/Daughter moment between Stannis and Shireen making fans go "Aww" and showing that Stannis might be a good father, presenting Sansa as a changed smarter character as if she was going to be a player to be reckoned with, showing Benjen in the preview of the last episode, having a scene with Myrcella and Jaime being happy making you think they were giving you one happy scene in the episode just to end it with killing her.) There's not as much fun character interactions as previous seasons. Heartfelt scenes are absent.

Pander posted:

The problem with the book is that it may not have been as negative with some characters like Sansa, but it left them completely useless for the plot for entire books. Brienne's story is awful and meandering in the book compared to the show, where she's almost always right in the thick of it. Sansa has a "sit in the Eyrie while Littlefinger does politics" as a riveting storyline.

I agree the tone was dark, Dorne was a shameful waste, and Jaime was progressing better in the book than in the show. Win some, lose some. But I don't think the show is worse than the books, because at least it ties up loose ends rather than letting them dangle.

Book and show both have problems but the book's problems aren't damaging to the whole story, the show's problems are. Books 4/5's problems are just that it's all build up. They haven't made the real horrible decisions than Season 5 has. Book 4/5 feels like a placeholder book; not that the story has turned bad. It feels like Season 5 has made the story turn bad.

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 30, 2016

Parachute
May 18, 2003
If you think this has a happy (beginning, middle or) ending something something something....

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Apoplexy posted:

There's very little correct in what you posted. Let me begin: The first 'trilogy' you speak of encompasses the first three books and first four seasons, not three seasons of the show. Unless you consider the first books to be the Ned, Cat, And Robb Saga. It's not; it's the story of Tywin Lannister. Tywin's death marks the true narrative end of A Game of Thrones Part One. AFFC and ADWD together make a book that you can call the first part of a second 'trilogy', but you really shouldn't.
I'm pretty much sure that you can't claim 'correctness' when it comes to textual analysis, but for what it's worth... Season 3 ends not just with the Red Wedding and the downfall of the Starks, but also with Dany settling in Meereen and Jon returning to the Wall. These are clear demarcation lines for the two major characters. Your choice of Tywin as the main character is frankly pretty bizarre.

Super Ninja Fish posted:

10 hours of failure and misery for all the storylines is a bit much. The failure part was Seasons 3-4 anyway. The show decided to prolong the failure and make it worse, whereas in the books the story gave us kind of a reprieve from failure. Most of the major characters were relatively safe. (Like Sansa) Stannis was getting revenge for us and you could actually root for Stannis the whole way. Barristan was becoming a major character and taking charge rather than dying in an alley. Jaime was still interesting and doing stuff better than Dorne. There were lots of cathartic moments for minor characters. There were things to be hopeful for.
I dunno. Always felt that Stannis would be a failure and a lesson in what Dany should avoid becoming; always felt that Barristan was boring and his book ascendancy was unwarranted; Jaime will be doing the 'interesting' stuff this season, it's just that apparently his story is much shorter than Jon's and Dany's, so in order to synchronise the events, the show had to drag it out - easier to hide that in a book. Like I said, if you're in for the touchy-feely happy stuff, it will probably happen this season. Within limits, obviously.

It helps not to get attached to the characters and admire the game instead? This makes it actually fun to see new pawns and figures taken off the board, and witnessing the slow formation of the final roster to go against the final bosses.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

meristem posted:

but also with Dany settling in Meereen
That one's wrong. Dany really doesn't have much of a climax in S3, which was a common complaint. Conquering and settling in Meereen happens in S4.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Apoplexy posted:

I would say that GRRM is less a creepy gently caress and more someone who understands the medieval world and its horrible, horrible nature.

Game of Thrones is fictional. You can write whatever you want in fiction, and what you choose to write reflects on you.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Lycus posted:

That one's wrong. Dany really doesn't have much of a climax in S3, which was a common complaint. Conquering and settling in Meereen happens in S4.

Yes she does. The season literally ends with her being held aloft as White Jesus of the amorphously ethnic slave population of Slaver's Bay. (It's Yunkai, not Mereen, I believe.) The thematic climax is her ascendancy as a messianic figure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Book and show both have problems but the book's problems aren't damaging to the whole story, the show's problems are. Books 4/5's problems are just that it's all build up. They haven't made the real horrible decisions than Season 5 has. Book 4/5 feels like a placeholder book; not that the story has turned bad. It feels like Season 5 has made the story turn bad.

I haven't read past book 1 but I would say that season 5 definitely felt like all build up as well. When I got done watching the finale I remember posting here or telling a friend that I had just watched a 10-hour trailer for season 6 spread out over three months.

• Locked thread