Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Imagine still running a version of Windows that doesn't have dark mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

EL BROMANCE posted:

My install is still 1803 and it thinks that's the latest. It can keep believing this for all I care.

1803 is once again the "latest" for public tracks. 1809 was pulled and the new "fixed" version has only been released to insiders.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Lambert posted:

Imagine still running a version of Windows that doesn't have dark mode

Can’t wait to see Microsoft’s half assed dark mode after you beta testers have finished with this latest update

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

So uh it wasn't a bug after all. Microsoft decided it's a good idea to delete "duplicate" user data folders, assuming they don't contain any files. Who thought that would be a good idea? Why would anyone delete folders *blindly* without even checking if they contain something?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Well, seeing as how they deleted folders THAT MOST CERTAINLY HAD FILES IN THEM, I would say that they epically failed even at that!

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ihmemies posted:

So uh it wasn't a bug after all. Microsoft decided it's a good idea to delete "duplicate" user data folders, assuming they don't contain any files. Who thought that would be a good idea? Why would anyone delete folders *blindly* without even checking if they contain something?
I don't understand. You think they intentionally deleted folders that weren't empty?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

mystes posted:

I don't understand. You think they intentionally deleted folders that weren't empty?

At least this story in Arstechnica implies so: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/10/microsoft-fixes-october-update-file-deleting-bug-resumes-insider-testing/

It had to do something with the user's ability to relocate documents, pictures etc. folders to different paths. Somehow that process created duplicate documents etc. folders and now Microsoft decided it was a good time to fix the probelm by deleting the original? documents etc. folders.

mystes
May 31, 2006

It was supposed to remove empty folders. The fact that it removed folders that weren't empty was a bug based on normal definitions of the word bug. The article you have linked to calls it a bug in the second sentence.

Please explain why you are saying it wasn't a bug.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Did it actually delete anything? Or was it something like people have standard folder locations mapped to ~some space~, some people changed it so different locations mapped to that space, and then the original folders came back - so both locations acted as links to the same space? And when MS deleted the "unwanted" locations the folders disappeared, but the storage space with all the stuff was still there?

I mean that would explain how they can just restore everyone's stuff... not seen much real info on it though, except articles linking to Reddit posts

astral
Apr 26, 2004

baka kaba posted:

Did it actually delete anything? Or was it something like people have standard folder locations mapped to ~some space~, some people changed it so different locations mapped to that space, and then the original folders came back - so both locations acted as links to the same space? And when MS deleted the "unwanted" locations the folders disappeared, but the storage space with all the stuff was still there?

I mean that would explain how they can just restore everyone's stuff... not seen much real info on it though, except articles linking to Reddit posts

Comments seemed to indicate they didn't bother to check if the folder was actually empty before deleting it. After all, why bother sanity/error checking? That just takes away from performance!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I'm saying were there like 2 symlinks, and there's only supposed to be 1, so they removed the default ones (since the users already added the other link by "moving" their documents etc folders) so nothing was actually deleted?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

No, because the thing this was supposedly 'fixing' was users emailing Microsoft and saying "hey, I moved my Documents folder to a different drive but there's still an empty Documents folder in C:\Users\Me and that's stupid and confusing!!" so they wrote a script not to fiddle about with symlinks but to remove the vestigial folders from the filesystem.

Which because it's Microsoft and there's six different ways of doing anything managed to only correctly identify about five different ways and hosed up the rest by deleting the current Documents location where files were actually being stored.

They are not just 'restoring people's stuff' - that stuff is gone, deleted - they are offering to cover running data recovery services on affected hard drives to reassemble the files.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Ghostlight posted:

They are not just 'restoring people's stuff' - that stuff is gone, deleted - they are offering to cover running data recovery services on affected hard drives to reassemble the files.

ohhh ok :tipshat:

:negative:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Ghostlight posted:

Which because it's Microsoft and there's six different ways of doing anything managed to only correctly identify about five different ways and hosed up the rest by deleting the current Documents location where files were actually being stored.

The fear of poo poo like this happening is why the documents folders I actually use have different names. poo poo for Work, poo poo I Made, poo poo from Ages Ago, etc.

I still remember very vividly uninstalling a Sierra game as a kid and it taking out my entire C:\Games folder.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I don't think anything's up to Myth II's level yet where if you installed it to C:\ the uninstall would wipe as much of your hard drive as Windows would allow.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ghostlight posted:

I don't think anything's up to Myth II's level yet where if you installed it to C:\ the uninstall would wipe as much of your hard drive as Windows would allow.

There was an patch for Phantasy Star Online 2 that deleted a bunch of files (including stuff in System32) if you had the game installed to a non-default directory. They pulled it within an hour, but it hit over 20k people before they did. That was a fun one.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The fear of poo poo like this happening is why the documents folders I actually use have different names. poo poo for Work, poo poo I Made, poo poo from Ages Ago, etc.

I still remember very vividly uninstalling a Sierra game as a kid and it taking out my entire C:\Games folder.

Half-Life deleted whole /Games when uninstalling. It was released by Sierra.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Two of the folder-wiping instances they tracked down involve using OneDrive as a backup. As if Dropbox didn't look good enough already...

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks for the panic. I ran to my desktop to find my symbolic links intact and full. So why wouldnt this have affected me?

Edit: well I dont use onedrive so maybe that was it?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Thanks for the panic. I ran to my desktop to find my symbolic links intact and full. So why wouldnt this have affected me?

I use onedrive and updated as soon as 1809 was announced. No issues.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Just remembered another time Microsoft got a bit delete happy - the Zune.

This wouldn't have affected many people, simply because the Zune was terrible and I have no excuse for using one.

If you removed an album from the Zune it would also delete the files off your hard drive. Permanently, no backsies.

I made the mistake of pointing the Zune at my actual music folder where I stored everything, so when I removed a bunch of stuff off of it, the next time I synced up, boom, about 50 albums gone.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Just remembered another time Microsoft got a bit delete happy - the Zune.

This wouldn't have affected many people, simply because the Zune was terrible and I have no excuse for using one.

If you removed an album from the Zune it would also delete the files off your hard drive. Permanently, no backsies.

I made the mistake of pointing the Zune at my actual music folder where I stored everything, so when I removed a bunch of stuff off of it, the next time I synced up, boom, about 50 albums gone.

Yeah no the default behavior was "removing file from device disables sync of that file" and "removing file from library in app does not delete the actual file". Since the devices initially sold were rather small storage, 30 gig for the initial hard drive device and then 8/16 gig for the first flash ones, it was designed with an expectation much of the music wouldn't stay on the device.

You had to change defaults to make it delete the real file when removed from the app library, doubly so when it updated for Windows 7 with 7's libraries support. And what you probably did was forget you were in the computer files section not the player files section, and deleted music directly on your computer.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

EasyEW posted:

Two of the folder-wiping instances they tracked down involve using OneDrive as a backup. As if Dropbox didn't look good enough already...

If the issue is to do with redirecting folders then that probably means people were redirecting their local user folders to the respective OneDrive location. I also did this for a short while, until I remembered that programs still use Documents as a dumping ground and ran into issues syncing between devices, so I stopped.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Aeka 2.0 posted:

It didn't do anything with or have any connection with symbolic links. They use a bunch of junctions in the user profile for backwards compatibility with really old stuff, but the re-targeting of user special folders doesn't even use those. Changing the location of your Documents or whatever is high level and mostly visual.

For example, I have my Downloads folder pointed elsewhere:

Opening a command prompt in my User\Downloads folder and use dir, there are no results. If it was a link or junction doing that, it would show a bunch of downloaded files because the trick would be working at the filesystem level. It's only in explorer that the downloads appears to live in my user profile.

I'm glad MS hasn't gone the Apple route of making the real filesystem completely abstracted & hidden from the user, but this is maybe a reason why doing it halfway is a bad compromise.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
After almost 20 years of using various Windows, it finally happened: Windows update hosed my computer up.
When I left work yesterday, I set windows to run updates and I arrived this morning to find the machine couldn't boot anymore.
I didn't want to spend ages trying to diagnose whatever went wrong, so I installed a fresh Win10 1803 install. Ran updates. And the machine couldn't boot anymore again.

I feel like I finally graduated to being a proper windows user.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I got a new laptop to replace my surface pro 3. Is there any way besides cloning the ssd in the surface to migrate everything, apps, files, settings and all, to the new machine?

Why hasn't Microsoft figured this out yet?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Laserface posted:

I got a new laptop to replace my surface pro 3. Is there any way besides cloning the ssd in the surface to migrate everything, apps, files, settings and all, to the new machine?

If you sign in with your MS account, settings can transfer, Onedrive can do your documents if you've set it up for that, MS Store stuff should go over too. Standard Windows apps though, lmao if you think that will ever happen.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

Laserface posted:

Store files in onedrive, sign in with Microsoft account, enable 'sync settings'. The apps you installed from the store will be in the My Library section of the store, and you can reinstall those from there. Non-store apps will need to be installed manually.
e:fb

beuges fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Oct 11, 2018

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Raygereio posted:

After almost 20 years of using various Windows, it finally happened: Windows update hosed my computer up.
When I left work yesterday, I set windows to run updates and I arrived this morning to find the machine couldn't boot anymore.
I didn't want to spend ages trying to diagnose whatever went wrong, so I installed a fresh Win10 1803 install. Ran updates. And the machine couldn't boot anymore again.

I feel like I finally graduated to being a proper windows user.

What is "could not boot?"

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Laserface posted:

If you want everything copied, you need to copy everything. It's that simple. It's not like there's any other modern operating system out there where you can transfer everything to a new machine without copying stuff over manually - Android, iOS, various Linuxes offer transfer mechanisms but you end up with things left out.

mystes
May 31, 2006

fishmech posted:

If you want everything copied, you need to copy everything. It's that simple. It's not like there's any other modern operating system out there where you can transfer everything to a new machine without copying stuff over manually - Android, iOS, various Linuxes offer transfer mechanisms but you end up with things left out.
With Linux you can easily just copy everything including all installed software, or your entire user folder including settings, and it will work fine.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

If only Windows had some sort of transfer utility to easily move your files over. An 'easy transfer' utility, if you will.

Man, it sure would be dumb if they had something like that then took it out!

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

If only Windows had some sort of transfer utility to easily move your files over. An 'easy transfer' utility, if you will.

Even that thing was useless when it came to the stuff I actually wanted it to transfer: Outlook 2010 accounts and address books.
I mean, I can understand that nobody really wants to touch Outlook more than they have to, but that one seems like one of the big must have items on any utility that claims to provide easy transfers from one computer to the next.

I legit dread the day that I have to upgrade that computer to a newer version of outlook and try to get it all sorted out again for my mom.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Aeka 2.0 posted:

After turning the machine on, win10 got stuck on the loading screen and rebooted itself. This repeated itself a couple of times until I got the message that automatic repair failed.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Windows 10 Beta Tester's Burden for $400, Alex

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Klyith posted:

It didn't do anything with or have any connection with symbolic links. They use a bunch of junctions in the user profile for backwards compatibility with really old stuff, but the re-targeting of user special folders doesn't even use those. Changing the location of your Documents or whatever is high level and mostly visual.

For example, I have my Downloads folder pointed elsewhere:

Opening a command prompt in my User\Downloads folder and use dir, there are no results. If it was a link or junction doing that, it would show a bunch of downloaded files because the trick would be working at the filesystem level. It's only in explorer that the downloads appears to live in my user profile.

I'm glad MS hasn't gone the Apple route of making the real filesystem completely abstracted & hidden from the user, but this is maybe a reason why doing it halfway is a bad compromise.

I've used this feature since XP? to keep my stuff off the system drive, just to make any sort of recovery/emergency reformat painless It's always annoyed me you can't just pick where your home folder lives, you have to one-by-one move each subfolder. Then stuff slips through and saves to the C: drive anyway and MS trying to clean up afterwards wipes your files. Has anyone tried just using NTFS mount points to replace C:\Users? I found some steps here, it sensibly requires booting into recovery mode, but other than that it seems straightforward.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

mystes posted:

With Linux you can easily just copy everything including all installed software, or your entire user folder including settings, and it will work fine.

Copying settings from different computers can pose serious issues for your display or audio, let alone other hardware support.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

That didn't transfer things for most software, nor let you move most software without reinstalling. You could set it to grab up all files on the drive, but it wouldn't ensure registry settings move to match.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

The Milkman posted:

I've used this feature since XP? to keep my stuff off the system drive, just to make any sort of recovery/emergency reformat painless It's always annoyed me you can't just pick where your home folder lives, you have to one-by-one move each subfolder. Then stuff slips through and saves to the C: drive anyway and MS trying to clean up afterwards wipes your files. Has anyone tried just using NTFS mount points to replace C:\Users? I found some steps here, it sensibly requires booting into recovery mode, but other than that it seems straightforward.

The supported way to do this is to place an individual user's User Profile somewhere other than C:\Users. You can change this in the Local users and groups management console. Like so:

This is the manual & local version of how Domains keep their users on a server.

loving around with making the entire Users directory into a junction link is a terrible idea, because if that junction fails for any reason your system becomes unusable. Junctions also can have problems with the Recycle Bin, so putting user space behind a junction is not recommended. I gently caress around with junctions myself and I'd never touch that. (for ex when I had a small ssd, I used junctions to push particularly large appdata folders onto other drives. looking at you chrome.) Doing stuff with soft links and junctions is best kept to more targeted jobs.

Done the proper way, you can have a second administrative account for troubleshooting -- which will still work perfectly if D: is inaccessible for any reason.

IMO the catch to the whole idea is that user profiles themselves can become hosed or otherwise a problem in my experience. If my OS has become such a shitshow that I want to pave and reinstall, I'd guess about a 50% chance that I want to nuke the user profile as well. Personally I keep all my files and music and 'stuff' on a separate drive and don't use redirection for Documents at all. That way the stuff that's in D:\Files is my files, and everything in Documents is poo poo some program has put there. Backups are extremely easy for me. I use winaerotweak to change the shortcuts on the standard windows load/save dialogs, and live with an extra click.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
You can clone Windows to your new surface using software like Macrium Reflect. It will work just fine & all your settings will be preserved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Klyith posted:

management console good, junctions bad

Okay, yeah that's why I asked. Makes sense, I didn't even think to check management tools. It's been like a decade since I've used it for things other than gaming, so my Windows janitoring knowledge is pretty limited and probably dated.