Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Definitely not as Dad as the Atlas, but the 2 actually has some proper jump jets on it, so that's interesting.

Pity two variants have no quirks on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Kodiak feels like a better executioner?

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Stringbean posted:

Is the engine situation similar to the IICs? Or are they built in XL400s?

It's a Battlemech so the engine is replaceable.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

Unhappy Meal posted:

This has probably already been posted in the Battletech thread, but those names are too good to not share with absolutely everyone.

put me down for a titanus :laugh:

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

Unhappy Meal posted:

This has probably already been posted in the Battletech thread, but those names are too good to not share with absolutely everyone.

Sudden Eagle is a pretty good name for a robot I think.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

That does not seem like enough armor for a dad looking robot

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The 1 and 5 are woefully under armored for a Dad, but the structure quirks are pretty much half that of an Atlas, and it can fit 2 tons more armor max.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

EponymousMrYar posted:

The 1 and 5 are woefully under armored for a Dad, but the structure quirks are pretty much half that of an Atlas, and it can fit 2 tons more armor max.

Both of those variants are energy heavy too, I imagine they're going to be more a range support assault more so then the others which are all armed with heavy ballistics and missiles. The SB is going to be a blast still, me thinks.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Curious, after the clans basically got wiped out in the previous faction war phase, did they recieve any buffs?
Feels like theyre weaker than ever.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Curious, after the clans basically got wiped out in the previous faction war phase, did they recieve any buffs?
Feels like theyre weaker than ever.

:lol:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Clans are still grossly overpowered in a meta that rewards their particular style of play and the IS being technically better at brawling means very little. If the clans ever look "weak" it's because you're playing incompetents.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Oh Snapple! posted:

Clans are still grossly overpowered in a meta that rewards their particular style of play and the IS being technically better at brawling means very little. If the clans ever look "weak" it's because you're playing incompetents.

Grossly overpowered, i see.
Explain please.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Long Range vs. Brawling comes down to map design and there's more maps that allow Clans to leverage their superior range and ability to reposition quickly rather than maps that allow brawlers to wade into the thick of things unmolested.
Usually this is mitigated by Clans being chiefly offense and being forced to push. But when they're on defense...

Also while IS mechs are tankier, Clan XL's don't blow up from the slightest exposure to air.

Also Grossly is probably standard hyperbole.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Their entire thing is "coring you out before you even get into range to return fire" in a meta that favors long range energy sniping. They energy snipe better than anyone else. There is really not much to explain.

The most popular chassis (Timber Wolf/Stormcrow/Cheetah) also punch well above their weight and relegating IS to the same tonnage limit as them was a wholly positive thing for Clans because all three of those are pretty much the top of their weight class. Ebon Jags are also a super-solid alternative as a less-weighty Timber.

Clans are Extremely Good in this game and the only reason they ever don't look like it is because a lot of really awful players gravitate to them and don't play to the strengths of their mechs. A competent clan team can take on most anyone - full unit drops included, up to a point - even if composed of different individuals or scattered groups thanks to the strengths already mentioned.

Also see the map thing.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
In return to having more range, clas large lasers ghost heat from 2, giving IS 50% more firepower at long range which they can additionally boost with quirks as well as being tankier in return and then they are into brawling range and clan just drops dead.
Also IS mechs dont tend to get center-cored from the side, since they dont have those gigantic noses that you cant twist out of anything.

And all that range doesnt do me any good since its attack 90% of the time, even in defense.

Yolomon Wayne fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 13, 2016

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Oh Snapple! posted:

Their entire thing is "coring you out before you even get into range to return fire" in a meta that favors long range energy sniping. They energy snipe better than anyone else. There is really not much to explain.

This was true for a good long while, but the meta has changed. the best clan 'mechs are still good buuuuuut right now the best IS 'mechs are better

Battlemasters and Grasshoppers do extreme range sniping better than clans

Black Knights and Banshees do mid-range laservomit better than clans

Blackjacks are straight-up killers and are better at Stormcrowing than a Stormcrow (except for streaks)

IS way outclasses clan brawlers with the exception of heavy brawlers (SRM/SPL TBR is still brutal)

Dakka Maulers are better than dakka Dire Wolves. A properly kitted-out Dad will take apart any clan assault at short range.

Oxides are the best lights, although JR7-IICs and Cheetahs do things they can't (the 6SRM6 IIC bomber is great for one-shotting things from behind)

Now if you just dump a bunch of lasers on a TBR or SCR you will never go wrong, but the meta is IS now, to the point where competitive drops are mostly IS 'mechs

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

You're not wrong about clan mechs being anemic. Watch any comp team, the Black Knight has completely replaced the Timber, the Griffin has replaced the Crow, the Oxide has replaced the Cheetah, and the only clan assault even worth thinking about is the Dire, which is worse than pretty much all the IS assaults because of its sluggishness and fragility. The clan mech that gets the most comp usage right now is the JR7-IIC, but that's really only because it doesn't cost real money like the Oxide which is objectively better in every way except for its lack of jumpjets.

EDIT: And every clan mech that isn't ACH/JR7/SCR/HBK/TBR/EBJ/DWF is pretty much complete garbage right now. There are a couple builds that are viable in a niche gimmick sort of way like the 6SSRM6 MDD, but none of them are useful the vast majority of the time.

aniviron fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 13, 2016

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
speaking of places where IS has an advantage, metamechs guy has a scouting mode guide up

http://metamechs.com/mwo-guides/community-warfare/scouting-mode-strategy-guide/

AND, most usefully, there's a list of dropship spawns which we should add to the doc

Caustic Valley: B5, C2, E2, E5
Forest Colony: E8, H7, H12, I10/J11
Grim Plexus: C3, E5, F9, I3
Polar Highlands: H10, J7, J10, H7(?)
River City: D5, E8, E2, H7

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

aniviron posted:

You're not wrong about clan mechs being anemic. Watch any comp team, the Black Knight has completely replaced the Timber, the Griffin has replaced the Crow, the Oxide has replaced the Cheetah, and the only clan assault even worth thinking about is the Dire, which is worse than pretty much all the IS assaults because of its sluggishness and fragility. The clan mech that gets the most comp usage right now is the JR7-IIC, but that's really only because it doesn't cost real money like the Oxide which is objectively better in every way except for its lack of jumpjets.

EDIT: And every clan mech that isn't ACH/JR7/SCR/HBK/TBR/EBJ/DWF is pretty much complete garbage right now. There are a couple builds that are viable in a niche gimmick sort of way like the 6SSRM6 MDD, but none of them are useful the vast majority of the time.

weirdly enough one of the Ice Ferrets (the -D) with small pulse is super good in scouting mode, but yeah, other than those 'mechs clan robots are in a bad state

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
IFRs are good mechs and I will fight people who say otherwise.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Pattonesque posted:

Now if you just dump a bunch of lasers on a TBR or SCR you will never go wrong, but the meta is IS now, to the point where competitive drops are mostly IS 'mechs

This is kind of half the point, though. The competitive skill floor for clans is very low - that's the point of saying that a merely competent clan CW drop (and again, CW is the context here) can go toe to toe against most anyone they drop against just by playing wholly to their strengths. Note that "most anyone" does not include units like MS or 228 that drop with very specific, tailored drop decks and mech loadouts since dropping against them isn't the norm. But against more casual fare (such as WoL, where we essentially just drop with a loose mix of range and brawly and not always in mechs optimized to do either because gently caress it we do this for fun), it's a playstyle that is extremely strong for essentially being the default.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Oh man that Spirit Bear. Shits gonna be fun.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
https://twitter.com/russ_bullock/status/731199033725702144

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Oh Snapple! posted:

This is kind of half the point, though. The competitive skill floor for clans is very low - that's the point of saying that a merely competent clan CW drop (and again, CW is the context here) can go toe to toe against most anyone they drop against just by playing wholly to their strengths. Note that "most anyone" does not include units like MS or 228 that drop with very specific, tailored drop decks and mech loadouts since dropping against them isn't the norm. But against more casual fare (such as WoL, where we essentially just drop with a loose mix of range and brawly and not always in mechs optimized to do either because gently caress it we do this for fun), it's a playstyle that is extremely strong for essentially being the default.

On the other hand throwing a bunch of lasers on a BL KNT or BJ or some SRMs on an JR7-O or GRF is very difficult and super way more high skill than playing clan stuff.

I mean, I think of the 20-odd CW games I played with WoL this event against clanners we lost, maybe two of them?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

aniviron posted:

On the other hand throwing a bunch of lasers on a BL KNT or BJ or some SRMs on an JR7-O or GRF is very difficult and super way more high skill than playing clan stuff.

I mean, I think of the 20-odd CW games I played with WoL this event against clanners we lost, maybe two of them?

As someone who spent a lot of those games perched on a hill with a good view of everything, the reason we lost a lot of those games was this: they were better organized and coherent than we were

If we can win 90% of our games with goons being able to bring any old drat thing, I think that's fine

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Today, a miracle happened. An assortment of random IS pubs managed to defeat a pair of clan 6 mans in counter attack on emerald taiga. It was an object lesson on why lrms are bad.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

aniviron posted:

It's almost as if playing brawly-to-mid-range mechs against long-range energy snipers on maps with wide-open firing lanes requires a bit more from the team that has to actually get through those lanes and weather that fire before they can even fire back.

Also hi, I've been in on most of the WoL CW drops during this event. We've lost more than 2 games against clanners, and most of our wins come from going against dogshit teams (see the post above for a great example!). We get stomped when we go up against actual units, have been stomped by comps consisting of a few groups, and the merely "competent" teams of individuals that we've run against have tended to play us hard and even taken a few games from us.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Party pooper.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

We've won against some drops that were pretty decent but the general point is that long-range laser vomit overperforms in a more casual setting and lets a competent drop punch above their weight to an extent and calling Clans weak within the context that is most relevant to us is pretty :lol:

EDIT: We're also extreme garbage when we don't have a proper yell boss and that has contributed to some losses.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
see but that just suggests to me that we were straight-up less organized than they were

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Nah. We've had some games where we honestly played very well and pubbies still managed to bloody our noses hard even if we still won.

I'm talking more about the games like those from yesterday evening where we flatout didn't have a yell boss and proceeded to collectively become the pubbies that refuse to push that we always complain about.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I would kill for a mode where every one was the same random stock mech. 15 Ravens vs 15 Ravens, 15 Altas vs 15 Atlas. I would play the poo poo out of it.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

All Mist Lynx All Mid

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I want tag team wrestling. 4 assaults per team in something the space of the Manifold basement, only two from each team can fire at a time, and you pass on the ability to fire by running into your buddy.

Pay for implementing it by offering MC luchador masks for your mechs.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

tarbrush posted:

I want tag team wrestling. 4 assaults per team in something the space of the Manifold basement, only two from each team can fire at a time, and you pass on the ability to fire by running into your buddy.

Pay for implementing it by offering MC luchador masks for your mechs.

An excellent idea, however none of those features can be successfully coded by PGI.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Oh Snapple! posted:

Nah. We've had some games where we honestly played very well and pubbies still managed to bloody our noses hard even if we still won.

I'm talking more about the games like those from yesterday evening where we flatout didn't have a yell boss and proceeded to collectively become the pubbies that refuse to push that we always complain about.

Don't conflate the two issues. Yeah, Clan stuff is powerful and we were awful, but that set of losses were 60/40 us/them. Except for the Grim Portico group.
That was straight up good play and positioning, getting lots of back shots going through Alpha. The main thing that Clan mechs did for them there was allowing them to re-position quickly.

Have to remember that positioning. That was pretty good.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

EponymousMrYar posted:

Don't conflate the two issues. Yeah, Clan stuff is powerful and we were awful, but that set of losses were 60/40 us/them. Except for the Grim Portico group.
That was straight up good play and positioning, getting lots of back shots going through Alpha. The main thing that Clan mechs did for them there was allowing them to re-position quickly.

The speed of their heavies is a definite advantage

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

EponymousMrYar posted:

Well I specifically had the match on Hellebore Springs in mind :v:. The Portico match was as you put it, and they capitalized on that first wave advantage hard to push in the mechs that had started collecting outside the gates in preparation for the second wave push.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 14, 2016

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Oh Snapple! posted:

:#whinesaboutlosingegame:

You'll get over it. Perhaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

armchairyoda posted: