Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Alris posted:

So, to summarize:

To get Mastery Level 6+, you can either get lucky rolls with chests

or

use 500 blue essence

by

disenchanting champions

via

getting lucky rolls with chests

Is that correct?

champions are like 50% of the loot. its not "lucky rolls with chests", its "the garbage nobody wanted until they added mastery level 6+"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
I don't think I have ever received a champion from a chest.

Lucky me?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Alris posted:

I don't think I have ever received a champion from a chest.

Lucky me?
I have three Akali tokens on the same account, lucky you.

flyingkiwi
Jun 1, 2012

Wowzers!
it's reassuring to know nobody will truly be a Master of their chosen champions until they do some arbitrary, stupid, lovely bullshit that has nothing to do with actually playing league of legends that nobody cares about

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

mistaya posted:

It is a sham, and a scam, since they didn't implement the IP buy thing but released it with an RP-alternative available.

I've opened like 5 boxes with the keys I've gotten through play and never gotten a single champion shard, and I got my two S-ranks on Janna this morning, so those tokens are just gonna sit there until they give the IP buyable item. Kinda sad.

My last five chests have all been champions I never play; I own all of them :(

I'm still ~1000 orange essence off from being able to keep the Pulsefire Ezreal I got in my very first chest and the game seems determined to not give me any more skin shards.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.
do not pick jhin into taliyah :negative:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Probably dont pick Jhin at all this patch

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

flyingkiwi posted:

it's reassuring to know nobody will truly be a Master of their chosen champions until they do some arbitrary, stupid, lovely bullshit that has nothing to do with actually playing league of legends that nobody cares about

Mastery levels are purely cosmetic, you may recall. I don't like that you need to get lucky with chests, it would be nice if you could use blue or orange essence so it was purely just "has gotten some chests" but riot wanted their duo currency horseshit and needed a use for blue. Imo it's mostly an issue because crafting is sort of new so people don't have a stockpile of currency yet, but mastery ranks aren't new so people already have rank 5 on their favourite champions.

It's also an issue because key fragment drop rates are hosed but welcome to f2p games I guess.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

rabidsquid posted:

Probably dont pick Jhin at all this patch
Probably don't play ADC at all this season because it's futile

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.
i've been doing well on ezreal but that jhin game was intensely miserable

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

mistaya posted:

Can someone translate this math into english, TIA.
I think it works this way.

A single Q shuriken does 5 to 25 less depending on rank and .1 bonus AD less damage on the first champ he hits than live: >6% to >10% less damage as ranks increase.

If 2 hit they do 10 to 15 more depending on rank and .075 bonus AD more damage: >6% to <5% more damage as ranks increase.

Zed's ult R does .5 bonus AD less and .5 base AD less than live, but 5% more stored damage than current at every rank. The ult bonus AD ratio nerf greatly outweighs the stored damage buff and double shuriken bonus AD ratio and base damage buff: a full Zed rotation with an autoattack and two shuriken hitting will do about .3 bonus AD less damage than live at every rank.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

slydingdoor posted:

I think it works this way.

A single Q shuriken does 5 to 25 less depending on rank and .1 bonus AD less damage on the first champ he hits than live: >6% to >10% less damage as ranks increase.

If 2 hit they do 10 to 15 more depending on rank and .075 bonus AD more damage: >6% to <5% more damage as ranks increase.

Zed's ult R does .5 bonus AD less and .5 base AD less than live, but 5% more stored damage than current at every rank. The ult bonus AD ratio nerf greatly outweighs the stored damage buff and double shuriken bonus AD ratio and base damage buff: a full Zed rotation with an autoattack and two shuriken hitting will do about .3 bonus AD less damage than live at every rank.

Can't you get three shuriken during ult? I feel like that was a zed thing

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

blah_blah posted:

Ekko (especially Tank Ekko or Jungle Ekko) is actually extremely easy to play relative to most champions and the only skill involved is walking into a bush occasionally to throw W and looking at where the running man is relative to you (and however bad you are at keeping track, be assured that your opponents will be even worse at it).

I understand your point, but realize it is all relative. What I was trying to do is follow the League Coach who recently put out his ratings for every champion, including how simple they were to play. He had a suggestion of three champions for each role that idiots like me should play, because his point was one of the main things people in Bronze through Gold do is play more complex champions that they frankly are not good enough to handle.

So compare someone like Ekko, who seems relatively simple as you suggested, to someone like Nunu, who has literally no skill shots, and nothing complex at all to figure out other than which creep to eat and occasionally, which teammate to steroid (as the answer 95% of the time is "the ADC").

Ekko, on the other hand, has multiple skillshots, one of which has a major delay before landing, has positioning to intelligently generate the shield off a skill shot, has to consider zoning more his skillshots, has to manage his ghost for his R, etc.

Nunu is hands down simpler to play, and the better choice for people like me (particularly post-dragon rework, where his objective control became much, much more valuable). I just don't want to play him right now.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

on the topic of hextech crafting thus far ive gotten 4 champion shards, 5 skins, and two ward skins. i rerolled 3 champions into a permanent and got sej, who i probably never would have bought otherwise. at this point i own all but about 5 champion i can play in a solo lane so the crafting is gonna speed up me finishing up unlocking everything at least.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm not sure that's really the full picture. That theory craft guy who had the difficulty ratings had mechanical depth as just one part of the difficulty, and even low mechanics characters could be up there in overall difficulty because the less levers you have the more easily shut out you are. If your stuff is easy that usually means that it's comparatively weaker or easier to counter, so like for example old Taric's stun was point and click in exchange for being much weaker than a lot of other stuns and having a low range with no way to get in range. Ekko is balanced around the idea of hitting skillshots and zones, sure, but counterplay is based around avoiding those. If you and your enemy are both incompetent, they're not going to dodge your badly played skillshots or zones, and when you hit them because of that you'll get stronger results because they're not balanced around the idea tha they're inevitable.

flyingkiwi
Jun 1, 2012

Wowzers!
Urf is back. Tried tank Ekko, felt like an immortal piece of poo poo

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
:yeah:

Zero.
Apr 21, 2014

Lovechop posted:

whenever random ppl add me i always write a note like 'played yasuo and fed' so i remember who they are

wish i remembered why i wrote this

Well probaly because her stepdad is dead. You might want to say hello and see if she's got a new one by now.

flyingkiwi
Jun 1, 2012

Wowzers!
man I am on a lose streak in ranked a mile wide. 3 afks on the last 4 games and a terrible run before that.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

flyingkiwi posted:

Urf is back. Tried tank Ekko, felt like an immortal piece of poo poo

ohboy everyone already picks the same poo poo over and over again.

Good job, you've made the fun mode not fun at all.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Gibberish posted:

Here's a novel idea from my Zyra support games: Don't get sighstone, just rush AP items and carry your dumbass ADC and team with pure murderpower

Just a lil' thought

Counterthought, as an ADC get a Sightstone because you're awful until lategame anyway.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Can't you get three shuriken during ult? I feel like that was a zed thing

yes, you're right. his ultimate now will be pretty strong if you can hit triple shuriken on someone, but weaker if you can't. and since triple Q requires using W, he won't be able to run away as easily if he wants to do as much damage. But his laning will be stronger if you can hit double Qs reliably. overall I think it's a great change because Luckerdog noob zeds will be appreciably weaker

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

'Ekko is overpowered in URF' isn't something that flyingkiwi invented

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Endorph posted:

'Ekko is overpowered in URF' isn't something that flyingkiwi invented

It's not him or even Ekko.

Everyone already picks all the Evelyns and Xins and it stopped being funny.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

BigLeafyTree posted:

Counterthought, as an ADC get a Sightstone because you're awful until lategame anyway.

Won a game one time where I had a Support who refused to buy any support items and I was a loving mile behind in terms of everything so I just end up building Sightstone > Zeke's Herald (the old one with the AD aura) and Aegis

Didn't do any damage but pulled out the W

stump collector
May 28, 2007
dont queue for modes you hate

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Taliyah is not good in urf hope this helps

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The problem is I mostly play aram so I can't get mastery. I also bought 5 chests and got less value out of it then I would have just buying skins on sale. I don't want free random champions. I feel the hextech crafting thing is a sham. You should be able to buy aram rerolls and skin boosts with blue essence.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kashuno posted:

Taliyah is not good in urf hope this helps

What, you don't want to cover literally the entire map in Worked Ground?

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

RealFoxy posted:

Probably don't play ADC at all this season because it's futile

Korean build Miss Fortune (Duskblade -> Ghostblade -> Black Cleaver) is pretty fun

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

Korean build Miss Fortune (Duskblade -> Ghostblade -> Black Cleaver) is pretty fun

sounds like garbage but that won't stop me from trying it tonight

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

In an effort to get better at this game, I am challenging myself to pick just 6 champions for each of my main roles and learn them all thoroughly. Narrowing my champion pool down helps me learn itemization better and improve my counterpicking strategy.

How does this lineup look for Support and Mid? I'm trying to balance playing champs that I like with having at least one pick for every archetype, and try to have someone that can handle every enemy lane.

Support : Bard, Janna, Leona, Soraka, Taric, Thresh

Mid : Ahri, Annie, Fizz, Galio, Lux, Pantheon

Are there any glaring weaknesses to those sets, or recommendations you'd have for replacing one or more of them? My support play improved drastically when I started choosing from fewer champions, and I want to apply this to mid as well.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

DolphinCop posted:

now that urf is over, i will permit everybody to know the secret to winning: kennen

1) instant hit attack from e that can be comboed into w and r murders kiters like shaco and fizz
2) long range poke from q allows you to keep away from heavy hitters like pantheon, alistar, etc.
3) once you have echo and wota you can sustain forever and delete other ap champs with one unavoidable combo

if you want to win urf mode this weekend with a champion that no one will have the good sense to pick/ban, now's your chance

i guess wota got removed which is definitely unfortunate but i'm pretty sure he's still op

Ignite Memories posted:

Are there any glaring weaknesses to those sets, or recommendations you'd have for replacing one or more of them? My support play improved drastically when I started choosing from fewer champions, and I want to apply this to mid as well.
halve the number of champions in each pool to start. for supports your options are Tank, Protect, and Kill. bard is kill, janna and soraka are protect, taric, leona, and thresh are tank. pick one from each category. if the thought of learning how to play bard scares you (it should), pick sona as your kill champion instead since she's better for it at lower elos and very powerful against some champions.

Venuz Patrol fucked around with this message at 16:19 on May 20, 2016

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Ignite Memories posted:

You are missing a backline defensive tank. I guess Taric can apply, but I've not really been impressed with him as a champion since his rework. What I mean by backline defensive tank is you are going to have games where your team drafts a lovely team that doesn't have a tank (this is probably going to happen a lot actually), you are also going to have to protect your ADC against a large number of diving threats (probably every game), in situations like those, you probably need to draft a tank and it helps to have one that can play on the back foot and keep poo poo safe. Examples would be like Alistar, Braum, Tahm Kench. I would recommend Braum just in terms of he's fairly straightforward, effective, and his E is basically the best move in the game in a meta where Lucian is picked non-loving-stop.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Ignite Memories posted:

In an effort to get better at this game, I am challenging myself to pick just 6 champions for each of my main roles and learn them all thoroughly. Narrowing my champion pool down helps me learn itemization better and improve my counterpicking strategy.

How does this lineup look for Support and Mid? I'm trying to balance playing champs that I like with having at least one pick for every archetype, and try to have someone that can handle every enemy lane.

support: janna

mid: ahri

there you go

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

Ignite Memories posted:

unless you're in diamond and going for masters i would not recommend worrying about any of those things

exethan posted:

there you go

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
taric is actually epic ftw at protecting the carry, with stuns, heals, invincibility, and surprisingly high damage. i will almost always pick him if there is a kha zix on the enemy team

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

DolphinCop posted:

taric is actually epic ftw at protecting the carry, with stuns, heals, invincibility, and surprisingly high damage. i will almost always pick him if there is a kha zix on the enemy team

I should probably play him some more, to be fair. I've just not been impressed with him, I don't think I've put a single meaningful good game in on him, and I've repeatedly shithoused him when I'm against him.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

exethan posted:

there you go

Yeah I'm down with this. Six champions per role is an insane amount to actually learn well. I main mid and there are honestly only about two or three champions that I feel comfortable enough to play in ranked right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rafq
Jul 12, 2006
6 champs per role seems like a crapload to learn unless you're playing like 200 games a month or something. If you're just playing for fun then go for it, but if your goal is to improve you're probably better off sticking to a couple champs per role and really learning those matchups.

• Locked thread