Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

BrianWilly posted:

Man. I like Batman fine, but I will never understand how he sells double or triple the amount of books compared to some other big name heroes.

I especially will never understand how Justice League is continuing to sell even one single issue, much less in the top ten. :sweatdrop:
Darkness.

No parents.

Continued darkness.

Justice League stuff is pretty fun for being zany over the top adventures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

It has all the heroes!

I think that's what keeps people hanging on even though Hitch's JL has been just awful.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It would set an unrealistic expectation for the movie if it was well written and looked interesting.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

BrianWilly posted:

Man. I like Batman fine, but I will never understand how he sells double or triple the amount of books compared to some other big name heroes.

I especially will never understand how Justice League is continuing to sell even one single issue, much less in the top ten. :sweatdrop:

Batman's had a lot of successful tv and movie adaptations to turn generations of people into fans. Big name creators don't hurt either.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
I kind of missed the "Kill the entire Justice League" conversation but DC should definitely kill Barry Allen. That was 100% a good decision. Maybe it could work with others but it'd probably need a serious long term set up that they only accidentally stumbled into with Wally.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I kind of missed the "Kill the entire Justice League" conversation but DC should definitely kill Barry Allen. That was 100% a good decision. Maybe it could work with others but it'd probably need a serious long term set up that they only accidentally stumbled into with Wally.

You could kill Hal Jordan with a moment's notice and have a good set-up. Probably the same with Batman, though it get's a little complicated because he has a new trainee, and he's specifically doing things Batman can't, Dickbats wouldn't work with Duke as well, but it might work. Wonder Woman and Superman are much harder.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Edge & Christian posted:

Anyway, DC is doing pretty well right now, at least if you're a Batman book. DC's top selling books in July were:

1. Dark Days the Casting
2. Batman
3. Batman
4. All-Star Batman
5. Detective Comics
6. Detective Comics
7. Flash
8. Flash
9. Justice League
10. Justice League

I'm kind of surprised to see Flash and Justice League outselling Harley Quinn. Is that not a huge seller for them anymore? I thought her book was selling fairly high?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dexie posted:

I'm kind of surprised to see Flash and Justice League outselling Harley Quinn. Is that not a huge seller for them anymore? I thought her book was selling fairly high?

Justice league has Batman, and aren't those Flash issues a crossover with Batman?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Two Tone Shoes posted:

There's no way they're killing or replacing any League members in the near future until their big-budget blockbuster featuring all the old boring characters is in the rear-view mirror.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

lotus circle posted:

They won't ever replace Bruce as Batman with anyone else permanently. It's why any story where he goes away for a period of time feels hollow, when you know in the back of your head that company politics will demand his return within a year or two if even that.

A thought I've mentioned in the past is that I sort of wished that they could have had 2 Batmen wandering around for the longterm post The Return of Bruce Wayne: Dick and Bruce both taking up the identity at the same time, but in different book series.

I guess how I mean is one of them is the permanent JLA-level Batman and does the outside Gotham stories, and the other is devoted to mostly Gotham-level stories. You can spin those in whatever way you want and have them be largely independent of one another.

Maybe Bruce decides that Dick is a better team-player Batman that the JLA needs and will be the more global Batman and Bruce stays in Gotham.

Maybe Bruce decides post-Return that 'Bruce Wayne' needs to stay away from the world and 'dead' for a while longer and devotes himself full time to being Batman to the JLA or for global things and let's Dick/Damian continue doing their B&R thing on their own in Gotham and the rest of the world.

In the case, you can probably have an in-built plan so if it gets confusing or unpopular in a few years you can have a storyline in mind to return to the status quo for all the characters for one reason or another.

That maybe also frees up the Nightwing identity for a few years, too, so someone else could maybe adopt it in Batfamily (like Tim) to keep that IP active and do something slightly different with it.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Can we just go back to Dick Grayson as Batman, Damian as his sidekick, and Chris Kent as Nightwing?

(no, because Batman has his army of Bruce Waynes foreshadowed in Future's End, brought up in ASB, and an Alfred AI)

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I'll always be biased to 'my' JLA, which was Morrisons one. Kyle and Wally were just better than Hal and Barry, J'onn was awesome and the relationship he had with the league was awesome, the extended members were all cool, like... Plastic Man, Big Barda, Orion, Steel, Zaurel, Huntress, Oracle as everyones mission control, even the short time Connor Hawke was with the league was fun.

Which makes me no different than really any modern comic writer who is absolutely biased towards their personal experience.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

X-O posted:

Didn't Convergence completely undo the original Crisis and there's now an infinite number of realities again?
Technically Zero Hour revisited the Crisis because the Big Thing was Waverider and others finding out the ripples in reality were a result of that, then them going and renaking the big bang. Then Infinite Crisis makes everyone aware of it by being a direct follow up to Crisis thanks to Superboy Prime's crazy fists of plot and Old Superman's righteous fury and 52 brings it back through the Orrery of the Monitors or whatever Mr Mind does as he Hypergnat's his way around space and time.

Then here comes Convergence, which says "all that past stuff you loved is back, in Glass Dome City form!" Except not really because some of those old stories had Plot Development in the dome, and some were plucked out of continuity -- like Hal J Parallax was there, but we know he goes on to redeem himself with his sun trick and then becomes the Spectre so this is a Hal that doesnt get to do all that and oh god my head. But then some heroes go and make sure the original Crisis is still on track but now it's different because modern Man of Steel era Superman and Parallax are taking part in the final battle and why is this so complicated again

Really looking forward to the Post-Doomsday Clock reboot that makes everyone hew closer to the Cinematic Universe, but also provides a DC imprint of some kind that lets you enjoy the 'traditional' heroes you sometimes kind of know and tolerate.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Wait. Didn't Parallax Hal still stick around after Convergence? Or did he go with a group to make it so the original Crisis never happened??? Oh gently caress it, it gave us current Super Dad and Lois which is really all I care about.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jiro posted:

Wait. Didn't Parallax Hal still stick around after Convergence? Or did he go with a group to make it so the original Crisis never happened???

Yes to both. He went back to the first crisis, and he also showed up in Green Lantern right before Rebirth.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

TwoPair posted:

Yes to both. He went back to the first crisis, and he also showed up in Green Lantern right before Rebirth.

Although when he showed up on GL, it was revealed he was a time displaced Hal infected with Parallax rather than the crazy Hal from Zero Hour

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Aw poo poo

https://twitter.com/geoffjohns/status/905066711652605952

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Batman to his book club: "This is an interesting fiction work but the author's grammar is atrocious"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TwoPair posted:

Batman to his book club: "This is an interesting fiction work but the author's grammar is atrocious"

"The pages smelled funny."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Hmm. So in another universe a superhero with no powers but wealth and intelligence enacted a plan to bring world peace you say... Alfred, do you think Ace would mind if I got another pet?"

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Bruce's version of Bubastis is fused from all of Damian's pets

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/maguirekevin/status/905277212336771072

full res

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
Whose the old guy next to Guy Gardner?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Zoro posted:

Whose the old guy next to Guy Gardner?

Pretty sure that's Oberon.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Yeah that's Oberon.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No Beefeater :(

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

got both volumes of the Kirby Kamandi omnibus from the library today, unfortunately the library system here doesn't have the 4th world books oh well.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Proof that Guy is the central figure of the DCU.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Proof that Guy is the central figure of the DCU.

I believe if you study the picture you'll find that Captain Atom and/or Animal Man are the center of the DCU. Guy is the slightly off-right of the DCU.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TwoPair posted:

I believe if you study the picture you'll find that Captain Atom and/or Animal Man are the center of the DCU. Guy is the slightly off-right of the DCU.

Only Guy Gardner gets to stand straight on. None o' that angled crap for the one true GL.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Fitting that the focal point of the DC Universe is an alternately bumbling or malevolent brain damaged white man.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Why is Lex Luthor Australian in Death of Superman?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AlmightyBob posted:

Why is Lex Luthor Australian in Death of Superman?

Lex Luthor got cancer from the kryptonite ring he wore. He faked his death and had his brain transferred into a clone body which he claimed was his legitimate son who was hidden to protect him. At the time Lex Luthor II was pretending to be an upstanding businessman and also banging Supergirl.

He eventually got clone cancer, almost died, and then made a deal with the devil to get his old body back.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Comics are incredible

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

BMan annual variant.
Gosh, I'm excited at the prospect of Olivier Coipel on something more than a Metal tie-in. Fingers crossed.

edit: Howard Chaykin's Challengers of the Unknown is going up on Comixology. Is it anything interesting?
https://www.comixology.com/Challengers-of-the-Unknown-2004-2005/comics-series/104727

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Sep 8, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

AlmightyBob posted:

Comics are incredible

You have no idea man. That era of Superman comics are loving bonkers.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Also Supergirl was some other alien robot pretending to be Supergirl who got turned to goo when punched by Doomsday.
I'm gonna estimate 90% of the DoS reading audience were like me as a kid and reading the Death of Superman issues or trade in complete isolation and got very confused.

It was neat that the JLs at the time were the weirdo JLI populated cast. That's some good screen time for Blue Beetle.

edit: Them getting walloped through the house is the earliest impactful comic moment I can still remember.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Sep 8, 2017

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

AlmightyBob posted:

Comics are incredible

And when he says Lex was with Supergirl he means Matrix. Who was a shape shifting alien who took the form of Supergirl.

Rhyno posted:

You have no idea man. That era of Superman comics are loving bonkers.

And I still miss them.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
In the collection we bought a few months back there was a near complete run of the Super books from 86-08 and I put them all aside so I can read the entire thing before i put them out for sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

I was wondering why Supergirl turned into a loving goo monster when Doomsday hit her hahaha