Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

BlazetheInferno posted:

...I am sad. Still using that mod that lets me set party members to AI control.

NPC Astarion threw his Sussur Dagger at an enemy... and now that the combat is over, it's just.... gone. None of the friendlies around seem to have picked it up, it's not on the ground to pick up, and wasn't on any of the bodies, and it's not anywhere in his inventory.

Look its a game bug at this point there is no in world reason why the dagger would vanish. So just cheat engine it back in. Alternatively you'll find better weapons. And magic arrows that do the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I'm not overly concerned, just mildly disappointed. He didn't have it equipped, which is why Astarion threw it to begin with, as far as I can tell, NPCs will not throw weapons that they have equipped.

It took me a moment to realize what he was even throwing, before clueing in when I saw the target get silenced.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
You often find that it's got stuck on some wierd geometry, and if you rotate the camera around while holding the "show items" key it'll pop up

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

If it was stuck in an enemy that killing it forced the fight go into a different phase it's just gone. Learned that hard way with Nyrulna on my HM run. :rip:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

The throwing mechanics are definitely janky as gently caress which makes it all the more impressive that throwbarb still such an amazingly powerful build.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

EorayMel posted:

I simply bury him in all the smokepowder and firewine barrels I've been hoarding and then throw a fireball at his dumb loving face instead.
For me, the funniest way to kill Gortash is to kidnap him from his throne room via fast travel.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Docjowles posted:

The throwing mechanics are definitely janky as gently caress which makes it all the more impressive that throwbarb still such an amazingly powerful build.
That’s because most of your throwing weapons should be enemies you want to de-spawn anyway.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

BlazetheInferno posted:

...I am sad. Still using that mod that lets me set party members to AI control.

NPC Astarion threw his Sussur Dagger at an enemy... and now that the combat is over, it's just.... gone. None of the friendlies around seem to have picked it up, it's not on the ground to pick up, and wasn't on any of the bodies, and it's not anywhere in his inventory.

yeah Sussur Dagger never played nice with throwing rules. not really certain why!

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Dick Trauma posted:

That magma mephit fight was some serious bullshit, especially after several reloads finding out that there was a second wave of them. I could sneak past the ambush fine but any sort of attack on the metal deposit triggered it. I wound up putting everyone a distance away from the ambush spot, casting a cold glyph on where the mephits appear and sending in shovel to trigger the ambush. Somehow everyone winds up surprised anyway, which is also some bullshit. I forgot to take off Hazel's armor so she got cooked multiple times but with ice arrows and Gale casting his cold cantrip everyone survived.

I'm still anxious about triggering what I assume is going to be a godawful boss battle so everyone's going back to camp a while, which reminded me that I wanted to mention how cool it is that the camp environment changes depending on where you are when you hit the button.

A little trick, mephits only explode when they actually die. If you toggle non-lethal and just knock them out they won't go boom.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Docjowles posted:

Looking forward to this after action report :yeshaha:

It has 300 hit points!

And it resists everything!

EDIT: Jesus gently caress how do you kill this thing?

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 12, 2024

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Floppychop posted:

A little trick, mephits only explode when they actually die. If you toggle non-lethal and just knock them out they won't go boom.

👀

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Dick Trauma posted:

It has 300 hit points!

All I will say is that Grym is one fight where you very, very much want to use the Environment as much as you possibly can.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Well I feel like I need a shower. It took me several goes to realize things:

1. The lava debuffs the robot. I saw the debuff tag but when I examined it the resistances didn't actually change so I was unsure if it was doing anything.
2. The forge hammer can smash the robot, but the robot's pathing is garbage and when I'd try to kit the thing it would stagger around like a drunk and completely miss the crucible.
3. Don't summon ogres while the floor is lava.
4. Summon ogres, but they will spend most of the fight prone due to quakes and hardly ever do any damage or pull aggro.
5. Feel smart that you had Hazel carry a two handed hammer as a backup weapon in case of skeletons. She had a glorious Last Stand on top of the crucible to finish the fight.

I was dismayed to see mephits appear in the middle of the battle but I was able to use thunder arrows and Gale's thunder spell to knock them back before they could do more than once again cook poor Hazel in her armor.

When the fight was finally over the chief ogre was dead and his mates scarpered. I'd made medium armor and gave that to Shadowheart. I haven't found a shield mould yet so I have to do some searching before I close the book on the forge zone. Everyone leveled and as usual I don't really know what I'm doing, but I noticed that hazel was at 15 for Con so I used a skill that bumped it up by 1 to even it out. I also grabbed Counterspell on a couple of characters in case that helps deal with mage bullshit.

So when I finally leave the Underdark it's back to pursuing kidnappers I suppose. Or... the other main-ish quest that I forgot about.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Edit: Oops, too late. Well done on handling it!

Counterspell is a great spell, just getting to hand-wave someone's big spell is great.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Ashcans posted:

Edit: Oops, too late. Well done on handling it!

Counterspell is a great spell, just getting to hand-wave someone's big spell is great.

One thing that's been annoying me about Counterspell is that, unless I'm blind, it doesn't tell you what level the spell you're countering is cast at. While you can figure it out for most things, if a bad guy is upcasting something then you either have to blow a V or VI spell slot on the counter or risk having the cast get through. This wound up biting me hard the first time I tried fighting Smarmy McSmugpants Lorroakan, where he blew up Gale and Aylin with an upcast Lightning Bolt that Counterspell failed to negate.

Unless, of course, there is something that tells you what level an enemy cast is at, in which case please let me know how, my video game husbandos keep dying

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

It’s by far my most commonly casted non-cantrip as a warlock. No spells for you today, buddy.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
You know what's better than a character with Counterspell? ...two characters with Counterspell. :D

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

One thing that's been annoying me about Counterspell is that, unless I'm blind, it doesn't tell you what level the spell you're countering is cast at.

It does, mouse over the spell.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

wizard2 posted:

yeah Sussur Dagger never played nice with throwing rules. not really certain why!

Maybe it's like the flowers and can't take being out in the sun so is unstable when thrown :p

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Squibbles posted:

Maybe it's like the flowers and can't take being out in the sun so is unstable when thrown :p

I was down in the bank vault!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I should mention that I forgot to cast buffs for the entirety of the fight. I did have Hazel drink a giant strength and fire resistance potion before starting, but after that I was sort of baffled as to what to do and forgot all about them.

EDIT: I have the robot helm to Hazel, the shield to Gale and the medium armor to Shadowheart.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 13, 2024

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

It has 300 hit points!

lmfao. Glad you figured it out. That boss always elicits a “what the gently caress” when he strolls out of the pipe for the first time. Agree the hammer is way too finicky and annoying. It’s a god drat hammer, precision isn’t the point here.

The items you craft are insane especially at level 5 and basically last the rest of the game, clearing that is a big power boost.

Make sure to explore the big lava area you can jump to from the forge if you haven’t. There’s an interesting quest item/person to pick up from a chest

Janissary Hop posted:

It does, mouse over the spell.

Yeah this

Just another little thing I am learning after like 300 hours in this game what the hell

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 13, 2024

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Dick Trauma posted:

I did have Hazel drink a giant strength and fire resistance potion before starting

Only one elixir can be active on a given character at a time. The most recent one overrides the others.

Knowing this will not stop you from accidentally replacing a crucial potion, kind of like how knowing that you can only concentrate on one spell at a time has never stopped me from accidentally breaking Haste and stunning my own guys for a turn.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

GHOST_BUTT posted:

Only one elixir can be active on a given character at a time. The most recent one overrides the others.

Knowing this will not stop you from accidentally replacing a crucial potion, kind of like how knowing that you can only concentrate on one spell at a time has never stopped me from accidentally breaking Haste and stunning my own guys for a turn.

I definitely didn’t get way too trigger happy and cancel my own wall of fire like 3 different times during the Halsin portal fight

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Docjowles posted:

I definitely didn’t get way too trigger happy and cancel my own wall of fire like 3 different times during the Halsin portal fight

Yeah, they even added big red text that warns you "this spell will break concentration on whatever!" but that sign can't stop me because I can't read

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I swear to god there should be an option to prevent characters from walking through hazards. I'd rather say "why isn't this character going where I want them to go?" than "why the gently caress did they walk right into the trap they pointed out?"

I was going to skip that last area of the forge pit because I saw that it was swarming with enemies but... I guess I can go back. I don't like abandoning a quest.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
apparently the "Heat Metal" spell works to make big robot vulnerable as well?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

I swear to god there should be an option to prevent characters from walking through hazards. I'd rather say "why isn't this character going where I want them to go?" than "why the gently caress did they walk right into the trap they pointed out?"

I was going to skip that last area of the forge pit because I saw that it was swarming with enemies but... I guess I can go back. I don't like abandoning a quest.

The “solution” I came to when there was a bunch of annoying traps or fire was breaking up the group (shift G on PC idk about console). Then send your best sleight of hand and perception character in solo. Cast guidance on them first if you like.

If the whole crew has to come along, at least this way you can maneuver them one at a time around the threats instead of relying on the dogshit intentional damage-seeking AI. On honor mode I probably spent more time controlling 4 separate characters than I did controlling them as a group because I don’t trust the game to keep me alive.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 13, 2024

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
Okay, but that fight with Orin the Red was pretty loving fun :aaaaa:

EPISODEON CXI: Bear Trap

okay i guess we should go save halsin before he gets sacrificed, or something. but not before making stupid faces at Rolan Bot.
along the way, we make a quick side trip to say hello to a criminal mastermind...I think. this seems to have unjammed Jaheira's quest, if anyone's having the same problem.
then we stumbled into an ambush. a very annoying ambush. thankfully, Astarion managed to spot three of them before combat fired off.
a few AOEs neutralized the snipers, and Zehra misty stepped over to chase the Killing Word assho- GET BACK HERE gently caress
Shadowheart got across the bridge around the same time Zehra caught up to him (again), at which point it was just a matter of hitting the leader a bunch.

tonight on house hunters, we look at this beautiful mid-century creepy-rear end underground ruin.
complete with a door that makes you think about how utterly screwed you probably are!
instead of rushing in, we decided to do a bit of skulking around and...well, okay, keeping your mom's corpse in your closet, that's creepy.
but she did tell us something very interesting...

i'm breaking my three images per line format here for Zehra crushing someone's will to live in a few sentences. :aaa:

which was followed by :aaaaa: the fight itself was...spicy? Orin terrified Gale on turn one, leaving it mostly up to Zehra, Shadowheart, and Astarion.
Shadowheart immediately made herself useful by blasting a couple of the enchanters off the platform, then dropping a Blade Barrier to negate two more.
A scroll of Fire Wall got rid of most of the remaining helpers, but then the boss decided to bite 90% of Astarion's health off in the same turn the last caster died.
and she was in very good position to finish him and probably Gale off in her next turn...

but this was right when Gale recovered from Fearful, and redeemed himself by throwing a max-upcast Magic Missile at Orin, obliterating her Unstoppable stacks. and after that...
ZEHRA. HAS HAD. ENOUGH OF. YOU.
three critical hits in a row, and no more Orin. :owned:

well, no more lower half of Orin, anyways. the top half died and disintegrated a few seconds later though, so whatever.
and sadly, there was no throne to sit in, so we went for the next-best thing: sleeping in her bed afterwards. kinky...

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
If you're having trouble with getting Gyrm under the hammer, try putting your bait character directly under the hammer, then place a healing potion by their feet. When you slam the hammer it breaks the potion and instantly revives the bait.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Dick Trauma posted:

Well I feel like I need a shower. It took me several goes to realize things:

1. The lava debuffs the robot. I saw the debuff tag but when I examined it the resistances didn't actually change so I was unsure if it was doing anything.
2. The forge hammer can smash the robot, but the robot's pathing is garbage and when I'd try to kit the thing it would stagger around like a drunk and completely miss the crucible.
3. Don't summon ogres while the floor is lava.
4. Summon ogres, but they will spend most of the fight prone due to quakes and hardly ever do any damage or pull aggro.
5. Feel smart that you had Hazel carry a two handed hammer as a backup weapon in case of skeletons. She had a glorious Last Stand on top of the crucible to finish the fight.

I was dismayed to see mephits appear in the middle of the battle but I was able to use thunder arrows and Gale's thunder spell to knock them back before they could do more than once again cook poor Hazel in her armor.

When the fight was finally over the chief ogre was dead and his mates scarpered. I'd made medium armor and gave that to Shadowheart. I haven't found a shield mould yet so I have to do some searching before I close the book on the forge zone. Everyone leveled and as usual I don't really know what I'm doing, but I noticed that hazel was at 15 for Con so I used a skill that bumped it up by 1 to even it out. I also grabbed Counterspell on a couple of characters in case that helps deal with mage bullshit.

So when I finally leave the Underdark it's back to pursuing kidnappers I suppose. Or... the other main-ish quest that I forgot about.

I never could get him to path onto the forge so Karlach and Laezel just beat him to death with hammers.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Dragonwagon posted:

If you're having trouble with getting Gyrm under the hammer, try putting your bait character directly under the hammer, then place a healing potion by their feet. When you slam the hammer it breaks the potion and instantly revives the bait.

:aaaaa:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Can't you use Sanctuary too? Have them plink him, then go stand under the hammer, cast Sanctuary?

I vaguely recall reading that, but never tried it.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I went over to the other side of the forge pit, and at first I thought that there were just lava bombs to avoid so I sent in Hazel who has the best jumping ability. Almost immediately I spotted the elemental so I had someone cast a Protection spell on her which I thought might help with any damage and gave her the last fire resistance elixir. The elemental had a basic patrol route so I was able to avoid aggroing it and get Hazel all the way to the chest. Which was locked.

My PC is the only lock picker and is small so the jumping was fraught with peril, but I recently gave Gale a flight scroll and let him learn it. He gets first shot at all the scrolls now in case he can learn something new since preparing spells is much simpler than I'd anticipated. Just swap 'em out pretty much whenever.

I flew my PC over, easily avoiding the elemental, unlocked the chest and collected the strangeness within. Made a couple of good rolls, used Inspiration to help with a couple of bad ones and decided to just stick the treasure in my pocket, because that's the best place for halflings to keep magic items of unknown danger.

I'm finally approaching the goblin village and cripes a mighty this place is packed with enemies, so of course I look for alternative routes, and I find one. A cave. As I enter I spot two traps, go to disarm one, and my party immediately gathers around me to provide moral support, setting off both.

I really have to get better about splitting the party when there's traps to be dealt with.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
The curious thing is that Lava Elemental isn't actually aggressive. It will ignore you until you attack it, as far as I know. Though killing it does stop the Lava bubbles in the area.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I have never attacked the lava elemental, as far as I know it doesn’t even drop anything good.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
Yeah, I also never fought the lava elemental, and AFAIR I never used the forge hammer on Grym in any of my playthroughs--the various notes and journals you find around the Underdark were enough to make me go "hmm, guess I should bring a few backup bludgeoning weapons to this party" and then just beat him to death.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

I have never attacked the lava elemental, as far as I know it doesn’t even drop anything good.

it drops Experience Points.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Medullah posted:

Can't you use Sanctuary too? Have them plink him, then go stand under the hammer, cast Sanctuary?

I vaguely recall reading that, but never tried it.

I haven't tried, but I feel like that wouldn't work. Sanctuary doesn't make you immune to damage, it just prevents enemies from directly attacking you. It was a problem for me in my first Orin fight, until I figured out that I could target the cultists with Sanctuary with AOE spells still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Nihonniboku posted:

I haven't tried, but I feel like that wouldn't work. Sanctuary doesn't make you immune to damage, it just prevents enemies from directly attacking you. It was a problem for me in my first Orin fight, until I figured out that I could target the cultists with Sanctuary with AOE spells still.

Good call, I might have been thinking of Globe of Invulnerability which we wouldn't have at that point, I don't think.