Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Is that Junior an R0 in TV White? Sweet as hell. You don't see TV White often.

Oh hey new page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Carbohydrates posted:

Is that Junior an R0 in TV White? Sweet as hell. You don't see TV White often.

Oh hey new page

This would be an "R8" '58 reissue in TV White. This is the only one I've ever seen in person, and only a handful on the internet.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Tard Helmets posted:

This would be an "R8" '58 reissue in TV White. This is the only one I've ever seen in person, and only a handful on the internet.
R8's even better to me! Do you get along with the massive tree trunk neck?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Oh, cross-posting this:

Mmmmm. All black. Limited Edition Ebony American Standard.
(sincerely hoping it is not the guitar equivalent of vaporware)

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."

Fog Tripper posted:

That would be the Gibson DuskFire!™ or whatever they're hocking at the moment.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Fog Tripper posted:

Oh, cross-posting this:

Mmmmm. All black. Limited Edition Ebony American Standard.

Does that have an ebony fretboard as well?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

butros posted:

Does that have an ebony fretboard as well?

Sadly, no. It's rosewood. That said, IMHO it is the best looking production black strat. I was looking at it from an American Standard viewpoint. The color and limited edition is good enough for me. Who knows, by the time they get around to building them, they might decide to make the boards ebony. :)

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 15:44 on May 21, 2010

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Fog Tripper posted:

Sadly, no. It's rosewood. That said, IMHO it is the best looking production black strat. I was looking at it from an American Standard viewpoint. The color and limited edition is good enough for me. Who knows, by the time they get around to building them, they might decide to make the boards ebony. :)

Yeah it's definitely gorgeous, it just drives me nuts when companies put out all black guitars with rosewood fretboards - black and brown don't go together!!!! I don't know why Fender makes so few (if any) guitars with ebony boards.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
After getting back into Polysics and watching some of their live videos, I was dying to get my hands on that weird bass. I did a little research, learned that Fumi mostly plays a Yamaha SBV-550, and discovered that they've been discontinued and seem impossible to get in the US. The few forum listings I saw were years old.

A few days later I went to the Guitar Center site just to entertain myself, and what do I see? Just arrived used for $200 + shipping! SIGN ME UP! How lucky is that?!

Click here for the full 382x1024 image.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Sparkly finish! (and dirty input)

This is the Yamaha 500 -- the 550 is a P+J version. I believe there are 5 versions, one being a signature model (Miki Furukawa of Supercar). I bought this sight-unseen figuring it was cheap and rare enough to be worth it, and it totally was. It arrived in much better condition than expected from the blurry picture I was given.

The weird shape actually makes it really comfortable to play, especially sitting. It has a thinner J-like neck with small frets (I was a little concerned about this, never having experienced them, but it feels very natural and I might even prefer smaller frets). The first thing the dude at GC told me was, "The neck pickup is a beast!" -- he's right! This thing is BADASS! Growly! It feels a little bad to say it, but it sounds better than my Jaguar Bass does (with default pups anyway). This may be my SBVlust talking.

It's not super heavy but not toylike. I'd say it weighs around 8 pounds. It feels really nice. I have no issues with this bass. In the future I might swap out the bridge with a Gotoh 201 or something. I was thinking of maybe adding a bridge cover...like if there was a precision cover without the "wings"...not sure about that yet.

I feel extremely fortunate to have come across this!

glennnyc
Sep 20, 2001

Ferrous Wheel posted:

Fralin makes some stacked P-90s that have gotten great reviews but that may be a little much for a cheap guitar. I'd probably try the GFS models first, I bet they'd be fine.

thanks. It's actually a pretty nice guitar, though I think it could use an intonation. Neck is straight, tuners are great, i'm willing to throw a little money into this.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

butros posted:

Yeah it's definitely gorgeous, it just drives me nuts when companies put out all black guitars with rosewood fretboards - black and brown don't go together!!!! I don't know why Fender makes so few (if any) guitars with ebony boards.

I bet it's because Ebony is a bitch to work with and expensive. The poo poo is HARD, man. HARD.

amishbuttermaster
Apr 28, 2009

Achtane posted:

After getting back into Polysics and watching some of their live videos, I was dying to get my hands on that weird bass. I did a little research, learned that Fumi mostly plays a Yamaha SBV-550, and discovered that they've been discontinued and seem impossible to get in the US. The few forum listings I saw were years old.

A few days later I went to the Guitar Center site just to entertain myself, and what do I see? Just arrived used for $200 + shipping! SIGN ME UP! How lucky is that?!

Click here for the full 382x1024 image.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

This is the Yamaha 500 -- the 550 is a P+J version. I believe there are 5 versions, one being a signature model (Miki Furukawa of Supercar). I bought this sight-unseen figuring it was cheap and rare enough to be worth it, and it totally was. It arrived in much better condition than expected from the blurry picture I was given.

The weird shape actually makes it really comfortable to play, especially sitting. It has a thinner J-like neck with small frets (I was a little concerned about this, never having experienced them, but it feels very natural and I might even prefer smaller frets). The first thing the dude at GC told me was, "The neck pickup is a beast!" -- he's right! This thing is BADASS! Growly! It feels a little bad to say it, but it sounds better than my Jaguar Bass does (with default pups anyway). This may be my SBVlust talking.

It's not super heavy but not toylike. I'd say it weighs around 8 pounds. It feels really nice. I have no issues with this bass. In the future I might swap out the bridge with a Gotoh 201 or something. I was thinking of maybe adding a bridge cover...like if there was a precision cover without the "wings"...not sure about that yet.

A pawnshop near my house had the guitar version of this. Stupidly I didn't buy it.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
To offset the guitars a bit and because only 10 people read the synthesizers thread anyway...

in since Friday:

(Moog Minimoog Voyager Old School)

ordered:

(Moog MP 201 control pedal to make the Voy OS listen to MIDI)

Superchunk
Dec 27, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

amishbuttermaster posted:

A pawnshop near my house had the guitar version of this. Stupidly I didn't buy it.

Are you sure? I can't find any evidence of one existing, and I'd love to have one. Is there a similar body type by a different company?

Edit: Well gently caress me, there it is. Now I really want one.

Superchunk fucked around with this message at 00:44 on May 23, 2010

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I'm not sure how many versions of the SGV there are. I think the SGV-300 is 3 single coils and the SGV-800 is a bridge humbucker and 2 single coils. Either way they are goddamn delicious.

My next quest is to get the SBV-550.

edit: I can't get over this bass. The neck pup is AWESOME! Someone on TB described it as able to sound like an active pup -- took the words out of my mouth.

Sarah Cenia fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 23, 2010

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Achtane posted:

I came really close to buying one of these years ago, and passed due to money and space being tight. It's good to hear that they're as awesome as they look.

HollowYears
Aug 18, 2009

washburn085 posted:

Awesome! Glad to see you finally got a Prestige. The guitar center near me has that exact one for $1700, and it has a nick in it from where you can tell someone dropped it, they wont take off more than 1% for the blemish.

Still enjoying my S5470. I'm sure you will love the SV.

I have the SV5470 as well! I swapped out the bridge pickup for a dsonic and am pretty happy with the results, a little bassy but nothing a little rollback on the dial won't fix. This thing NEVER goes out of tune! I love it!

There is a sustain issue on certain frets with is apparently fixed by removing the middle pickup.

amishbuttermaster
Apr 28, 2009

Superchunk posted:

Are you sure? I can't find any evidence of one existing, and I'd love to have one. Is there a similar body type by a different company?

Edit: Well gently caress me, there it is. Now I really want one.

Yeah, there weren't all that many made from what I can dig up. I kept delaying on purchasing it and then when I finally decided to go impulse buy it the drat thing was gone. Pretty unique instrument.

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

boofdas
Nov 4, 2008
This beast.

Click here for the full 1278x959 image.

It's a JlCooper MCS-3800 I just got off ebay for an awesome price. Top-of-the-line midi control surface. MSRP: $3500.

Unfortunately, in my haste to click the big shiny "buy it now" button, I forgot to check compatibility. After spending days figuring out the differences between the Mackie HUI and Mackie control universal protocols (and why my DAW doesn't support the HUI), I've found that I can't use all of the functionality. So if anyone is interested in it, this thread gets first dibs...:dance:

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
I bought Superior Drummer 2.0 today, which apparently includes an Akai MPD 18 USB MIDI Pad Controller and some generic USB stick.

Needless to say, I'm excited.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Gorilla Salsa posted:

I bought Superior Drummer 2.0 today, which apparently includes an Akai MPD 18 USB MIDI Pad Controller and some generic USB stick.

Needless to say, I'm excited.

Dang, that's a really good deal.

edit: my guess is that Superior 3 is on its way here real soon...

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 24, 2010

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Agreed posted:

I bet it's because Ebony is a bitch to work with and expensive. The poo poo is HARD, man. HARD.

It is, but I havent found it much worse than rosewood, and rosewoods a cakewalk if you just have a little patience. I think price is probably the main factor.

gingivitis the wart
Aug 14, 2005

I'm the best you will ever have.
I got a box on Wednesday.

Its an Axe FX Ultra wheeeeeeeeeeeeee

The empty rack space at the top is for a Presonus headphone amp to take care of everyone's in ear mixes. The bottom space is for a power amp for running a Marshall 4x12.

I'm in charge of my guitar rig, keyboards, samples, click, vocal processing, and sending our mix to the board, so here's where things stand now:

PRS Custom 24, Macbook Pro running Live 8, Axiom 49 keyboard, Behringer FCB1010 with UnO mod for foot control, MOTU Ultralite, a sliding shelf for the wireless receivers, and probably some other cool stuff soon. And there's a DI box for now so I can record a part, reamp it through the AxeFx, tweak the tone and save it.

warwick5s posted:

edit: my guess is that Superior 3 is on its way here real soon...
I doubt that. Here's what they said was on the horizon a few months ago:

Toontrack posted:

What if you had a software production tool that allowed you to build custom drum kits, work with tonal & melodic phrases and indulge in every aspect of custom sound design you could ever really think of? What if you could have it in June?
Beatstation

Toontrack posted:

Speaking of production tools - what if you had access to some drum presets from some of the most in demand producers, cutting edge artists and leading developers in the music business today? Perhaps in a few weeks’ time?
Producer presets

Toontrack posted:

Better yet, what if you had a software program whose sole purpose was to make your mixes better? Drums, guitars, bass, vocals - all of it - just sounding better? What if this one was available in April?
EZMix

Toontrack posted:

How about an SDX produced by one of the top producers working in music today, recorded in a studio that’s produced a countless number of platinum records? Maybe in May?
Music City Superior expansion

Toontrack posted:

Then, what if we sprinkled in a new EZX or two, some fresh MIDI packs and the ability to buy individual drum set pieces for your Superior sound library?
So another EZX expansion, Songwriters Drumpack, and expansion kit pieces.

Toontrack posted:

To bring it all home, what if we loaded up all our gear, some top notch drummers, artists and producers and then rolled into your neighborhood to hang out for a week with you & your friends and talk, teach & entertain you all on and with our products? Oh yeah - what if it was free and with no strings attached?
Clinics, I guess?

They're also doing 64-bit versions of Superior 2 now, so I don't think we'll see a Superior 3 for a long while. Musicians Friend just does that kind of stuff sometimes.

Barn Door
Mar 6, 2007

shut the fuck up charles

gingivitis the wart posted:

Awesome, I'd love if you'd post some clips

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

I am so so jealous. Definitely post some clips after getting the hang of it!

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

pennywisdom posted:

How do you like this? I'm really close to getting one myself.

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

plester1 posted:

How do you like this? I'm really close to getting one myself.

I just ordered it actually, so it should be here in a couple weeks. I usually program all my drums with my mouse, so I basically bought it for live use with the new Ableton hang drum instrument they just released.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

warwick5s posted:

my guess is that Superior 3 is on its way here real soon...
:smith:

I don't think we'll see a Superior 3 for a long while. Musicians Friend just does that kind of stuff sometimes.
:unsmith:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
The combination of decent bling and A 440 quartz tuner, Korg's "Give me an A"

Looks like a fine golden dogtag and has a large enough necklace to suit us broad shouldered bull-necked musical types. Recommended if you can get it for the price of a candy bar, like I did.

Also got a Korg CPS-01 device, it's a tiny 80's LCD computer that graphically (on a score, rear end and treble clefs) lists any chord and its inversions. Also comes as CPK for keyboard, displaying how to hit individual keys (prefered the CPS-01 so I learn to play and read notes properly), and the CPG for guitar, which should be quite the thing for you guitar guys who don't want to shell out for an iPod Touch just to get a guitar chord app.

(No pics, lost the cable for my new camera)

communistdew
Sep 11, 2005
Where do we light our cigars with dollah bills?

Vox Valvetronix AD15VT

Hurray! I finally got myself an amp that isn't the practice one I got in a starter pack in 10th grade. Look at all of those modeling things that I get to play with! Built in tube pre, hot.

J. Scott
Jul 18, 2009

You think this is the real Quaid?!

communistdew posted:

Vox Valvetronix AD15VT

Hurray! I finally got myself an amp that isn't the practice one I got in a starter pack in 10th grade. Look at all of those modeling things that I get to play with! Built in tube pre, hot.

I have the 30 watt version of this, and even though I've been playing for years and probably should buy some fancy expensive tube amp, I don't gig so I've honestly never felt the need to get anything else. I think I've been using it for about 3 years now. It can get as loud or quiet as I need it, most of the amp models sound pretty good, and I still have no real desire to upgrade to something bigger and better. Best guitar-related purchase ever, for me.

Well, that and my Strat Plus.

communistdew
Sep 11, 2005
Where do we light our cigars with dollah bills?

J. Scott posted:

I have the 30 watt version of this, and even though I've been playing for years and probably should buy some fancy expensive tube amp, I don't gig so I've honestly never felt the need to get anything else. I think I've been using it for about 3 years now. It can get as loud or quiet as I need it, most of the amp models sound pretty good, and I still have no real desire to upgrade to something bigger and better. Best guitar-related purchase ever, for me.

Well, that and my Strat Plus.

Oh good. I'm glad to hear rave reviews. I was going to get the 30watt a few weeks ago and decided against it because I was feeling poor. But I saw the 15 for $70 on Craigslist and went for it. The weekend can't come fast enough for me to test it out fully.

Spikeness
Dec 4, 2009
I am sexually aroused by the thought of a 12 year old video game character in a bikini, just fy
My grandfather was going through old boxes last weekend and found a old vintage Ibanez Compressor, Still in it's box with a manual and everything, So he said I could have it.

Haven't tried it yet or anything, Suppose i should to see if it even works. :v:

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Somebody got about $160 for the same pedal on eBay, without the box.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-IBANEZ-ORANGE-COMPRESSOR-/170485398092?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item27b1b8ba4c#ht_500wt_990
If yours works, and you have the box, you'd probably get even more.

Even if you keep it, nice find. :)

esq
Dec 1, 2008

I'll have a white russian.
Man, I just want one story like that in my life. Any day, now.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Thanks Handen!

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge
Um, today I bought some Not Even Slinky Ernie Ball strings (12-56) to tune my Agile down to C standard.

Oh, also two 1mm Dunlop plecs. I wish I had money :(

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
Just ordered Superior Drummer from Musician's Friend. $150, plus a dinky USB pad controller and a 2gig stick drive :haw:. And hey, if you want to pay exactly the same price for EZdrummer and no controller they've got you covered there as well.

Hope I didn't just gently caress up horribly. If all goes well :drum: will ensue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

Spikeness posted:

My grandfather was going through old boxes last weekend and found a old vintage Ibanez Compressor, Still in it's box with a manual and everything, So he said I could have it.

Haven't tried it yet or anything, Suppose i should to see if it even works. :v:

Haha, I love that font :)