Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

GordonTheDeadFish posted:

This is a really bizarre way of seeing it. As I see it, magic tricks are inherently psychological manipulation dressed up with mysticism.
I think he definitely does a lot of quite typical magic, but performs them in such a way that it appeals to people who consider themselves more intellectual and above the mysticism aspect. That way, even people who do not believe in anything supernatural can still believe in his magic as it looks like there's a rational explanation for this guy with an incredible ability. A good example is when he is told a random page, column and line number of a dictionary and pretends to concentrate on (and eventually remember) what the word is.

It's a really smart way of bringing back magic after people kind of got over the traditional way of presenting them in recent years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holy Doughnuts!
Oct 20, 2010

Sergeant Butterman, the little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
Derren Brown is just wandering around Channel 4 headquarters messing with the staff, there'll be more continuity errors until he is stoppped.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
mess up continuity announcing, get people talking about it, people watch The Simpsons. It's genius marketing really

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Yeah I mean I'd never even heard of this show "The Simpsons" until now. Maybe I'll check it out.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Idioteque Dance posted:

he could comment about how much media and Internet attention the continuity running joke got, but also has somewhere put in a "hiding in plain sight" continuity goof which nobody noticed, as some kind of commentary on... suggestibility or whatever.

I saw a documentary many years ago that did something like this. It should that experiment where you get people to count basketball passes on a video, and they nearly all miss the guy in a gorilla-suit who walks across the screen. It ends with the presenter giving a really smug "don't believe us? how many times did you spot him" a montage of all the times the same gorilla man had appeared through the documentary, in really obvious places. It was awesome.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

GordonTheDeadFish posted:

This is a really bizarre way of seeing it. As I see it, magic tricks are inherently psychological manipulation dressed up with mysticism.
I don't know if you're just being pedantic or what, but there's a pretty obvious difference between run-of-the-mill magic tricks and hypnotism/"mind-reading" stuff, there's nothing bizarre about thinking that at all. The field of "mentalism" has it's own name for a reason. If you think sleight-of-hand is psychological manipulation then you and I have very different definitions.

When Derren Brown says he is subtly influencing the audience to pick, say, a certain word from a certain newspaper that he has written down in an envelope at the start of the show, and then shows you all the times he threw in words throughout the act without you noticing, he's lying. That is not what he's doing, that stuff doesn't really work, atleast nowhere near the level that his act would rely upon. He uses a lot of the same tricks as any other magician does and dresses it up as him subliminally controlling the audience's decisions absolutely.

I'm not saying he isn't an expert mentalist/mental magician, he's one of the best in the world no doubt. He uses a lot of mentalist techniques and suggestion in his act. But I am saying that he pretends that many of his tricks are something that they're not, to make the show more impressive. He flat out admits this all the time.

Simpsons continuity announcers saying a different word wouldn't "do" anything to an audience on its own.

Hoops fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jan 28, 2012

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Derren Brown, by his own admission in his book, says he uses a mix of sleight of hand, misdirection, suggestion, memory feats, and good old fashioned trickery in his work. He just mixes it all up so it's difficult to tell for any given trick what amount of each thing is being used.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I saw a documentary many years ago that did something like this. It should that experiment where you get people to count basketball passes on a video, and they nearly all miss the guy in a gorilla-suit who walks across the screen. It ends with the presenter giving a really smug "don't believe us? how many times did you spot him" a montage of all the times the same gorilla man had appeared through the documentary, in really obvious places. It was awesome.
I remember this. It was also broadcast as an advert a couple of years ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pK0BQ9CUHk

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Hoops posted:

Simpsons continuity announcers saying a different word wouldn't "do" anything to an audience on its own.
...That's completely irrelevant as to whether or not it's related to Derren Brown though. As you said, throwing in words throughout a stage show doesn't "do" anything on its own either.

By the way it's probably not a Derren Brown thing. Somebody in the (hilarious) digitalspy thread actually filed a complaint with channel 4 about it and they replied that the announcers are "just having a bit of fun".

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Dicky B posted:

...That's completely irrelevant as to whether or not it's related to Derren Brown though. As you said, throwing in words throughout a stage show doesn't "do" anything on its own either.

By the way it's probably not a Derren Brown thing. Somebody in the (hilarious) digitalspy thread actually filed a complaint with channel 4 about it and they replied that the announcers are "just having a bit of fun".
I didn't say they "didn't do anything on their own", I said they "didn't do anything". The only reason he does that sort of thing is to go back and point it out and go "see, I've been manipulating you right from the start :smug:" as part of the mystique he's built up, it is not part of the technique of the trick. Suggestion is in his act, but it's a lot more direct and artful than that.

By the way my whole point started by saying it was obviously the announcers having a laugh. I'm giving the reasons why it's ridiculous to think it's part of some Derren Brown experiment.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Your reasons don't make sense though

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Dicky B posted:

Your reasons don't make sense though
People were saying it was to implant some kind of suggestion into the audience's head. I'm saying that's basically impossible in that context. Just saying some different words from what you're expecting on television once a day doesn't affect anything. What part of it doesn't make sense? You've missed my point already once, I don't think you're reading what I'm saying properly.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Hoops posted:

People were saying it was to implant some kind of suggestion into the audience's head.
Yeah nobody said that. You're imagining things.

Sorry you're not the only one to have figured out Derren Brown's shtick. We don't need you to explain it to us :3:

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Just got excited because I just saw a trailer for a BBC drama called Inside Men. It has two of the main guys from Luther, so I thought it was a new series of that :(

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Just got excited because I just saw a trailer for a BBC drama called Inside Men. It has two of the main guys from Luther, so I thought it was a new series of that :(

From the trailer that series looked quite good though? Kind of an original angle for a drama to take on the heist genre I think.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Dicky B posted:

Yeah nobody said that. You're imagining things.

Sorry you're not the only one to have figured out Derren Brown's shtick. We don't need you to explain it to us :3:
Why are people linking it to Derren Brown at all then? Either it's a part of some trick or it isn't.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

I give up!

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Game show talk:

Exit List - I really like format and the big studio prop maze. Nice mixture of general knowledge and memory tests.

Bank Job - Nice idea but the rules change every round which makes it confusing to follow. George Lamb is not too bad when he's being sensible.

Million Pound Drop - Still entertaining, especially when someone brazenly puts their whole stash on an obviously wrong answer. Still suffers from unfair questions.

Countdown - Old people who haven't watched the Apprentice are very confused by Nick Hewer's schoolmaster presenting style.

Question Time - Everyone loses.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
I saw Perfection for the first time recently. Nice idea, but needlessly convoluted.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

reality_groove posted:

Game show talk:

Exit List - I really like format and the big studio prop maze. Nice mixture of general knowledge and memory tests.

Bank Job - Nice idea but the rules change every round which makes it confusing to follow. George Lamb is not too bad when he's being sensible.

Million Pound Drop - Still entertaining, especially when someone brazenly puts their whole stash on an obviously wrong answer. Still suffers from unfair questions.

Countdown - Old people who haven't watched the Apprentice are very confused by Nick Hewer's schoolmaster presenting style.

Question Time - Everyone loses.

Only Connect - Stop flirting with the Crossworders Victoria!

workinonit
Jul 11, 2009

Z-Magic posted:

Only Connect - Stop flirting with the Crossworders Victoria!

But watching the contestants feebly trying to flirt back is the most entertaining part of the show!

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!

Mickolution posted:

I saw Perfection for the first time recently. Nice idea, but needlessly convoluted.

Nick Knowles has inherited Bob Monkhouse's orange tan (but none of his hosting ability). It did teach me that apparently Bob Hoskins worked as a circus fire eater, which is just a random bit of trivia to base a question on.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
There's a double Only Connect tomorrow, Another Grid Special.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Giedroyc posted:

Nick Knowles has inherited Bob Monkhouse's orange tan (but none of his hosting ability). It did teach me that apparently Bob Hoskins worked as a circus fire eater, which is just a random bit of trivia to base a question on.

Absolutely. He's not the right presenter at all for it. Only seen it once, as I said, so can't be too harsh, but won't be rushing back to watch any more.

Pointless is great, though.

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001
I do enjoy watching 'The Chase' occasionally, some of the chasers are more likable than others.
I haven't watched eggheads in ages, that used to be ok until they started a show to find a new egghead. Has it continued the drop?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Don't watch it regularly enough to comment, but some of the (I think) new ones are unbearable. The Irish guy and the weird looking one with the glasses especially.

CJ's a massive wanker, but so much so that I really like him. Would love to hang out with Daphne for a while, though.

edit: loving hell, Daphne was on Bullseye

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L77E2eaorU

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Mickolution posted:

Don't watch it regularly enough to comment, but some of the (I think) new ones are unbearable. The Irish guy and the weird looking one with the glasses especially.

CJ's a massive wanker, but so much so that I really like him. Would love to hang out with Daphne for a while, though.

edit: loving hell, Daphne was on Bullseye

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L77E2eaorU

Eggheads is pretty much nightly dinner viewing in student life in my house.

Eggheads Chat

Kevin - Is a robot. Utterly humourless. Reports of him making a joke and smiling are unsubstantiated. Weaknesses: Food & Drink. Has never lost a History round.

Daphne - Like your kindly old grandmother, if she knew everything. Cheerily doddery. Has a love-hate relationship with CJ. Weaknesses: Any music questions beyond the 1980's. Ditto with Film & Television.

CJ - Smug know it all arsehead. Gay. Marathon-runner. Probably the most expressive out of all of them, and the one who loses the most. Jeremy Vine loving hates him. Weaknesses: Sport, Geography.

Chris - The smuggest. Confidently blurts out answers with total conviction, even when they're wrong. Fat. Terrible singer and impressionist, but tries anyway, bless 'im. Weaknesses: Geography, sometimes Music.

Judith - Epitome of old Tory rich lady. Really rather posh. Doesn't keep up with sport except, predictably, horse racing. She was the first person to win the million on Who Wants to be a Millionaire UK. Weaknesses: Sport, Science.

Barry - Cheerfully awkward loser. Doesn't seem like he's playing with a full hand, if you catch my drift. Him and Daphne seem like the most genuinely likable Eggheads. Weaknesses: Some Music, some Film & TV, bit patchy all round.

Pat - Irish, and somehow more robotic than Kevin. Also fat. Probably the best Egghead after Kevin, but somehow with even less personality. Has also won Who Wants to Be a Millionaire. Weaknesses: ???? (I don't pay enough attention to know them.

:goonsay: Eggheads.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Mickolution posted:

Aw, Barry is lovely. You leave that boy alone.

Also, how did Judith win a million quid? She's shocking.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Mowglis Haircut posted:

Daphne - Like your kindly old grandmother, if she knew everything. Cheerily doddery. Has a love-hate relationship with CJ. Weaknesses: Any music questions beyond the 1980's. Ditto with Film & Television.

The best part about Daphne was how everyone used to pick Sport against her based on her being both A Woman and Like Totally Old, and then getting completely slaughtered. Does anyone still do that or did they wise up?

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Mowglis Haircut posted:

CJ - Smug know it all arsehead. Gay. Marathon-runner. Probably the most expressive out of all of them, and the one who loses the most. Jeremy Vine loving hates him. Weaknesses: Sport, Geography.

If you don't think he's bad enough already, it's worth remembering 'CJ de Mooi' is not his birth name, and his chosen surname of 'de Mooi' translates to 'the beautiful' in Dutch.

He actually changed his name to CJ the Beautiful.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Quanta posted:

If you don't think he's bad enough already

Why would we EVER think that?

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Theshby posted:

Aw, Barry is lovely. You leave that boy alone.

Also, how did Judith win a million quid? She's shocking.

The last question was about some château in France she'd been to the year before or something awful like that.

Jonnty fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 30, 2012

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001
The only thing Noel Edmonds has going for him, is that he is not CJ.

dos4gw
Nov 12, 2005
Barry is awesome, I don't know how anyone could fail to love him. His weird, shifty eyes and that smile of his are just so endearing.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Kevin is actually Herbet West, Reanimator and Barry is his latest project. CJ is the most entertaining for the hilarious faces he makes.

Jawidar
Feb 17, 2007
The best part of Eggheads is when they show CJ and Daphne reacting to someone else's answer with a smug nod or shake of the head (as if to say "oh, we know this one") only for them to be wrong. The look on their faces is priceless.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I haven't watched Egg Heads since I graduated :(

In other news, and I know it was on ages ago, but I just watched the second half of Edwin Drood, and it actually made me genuinely angry how much they ruined it. They built up this really atmospheric, well-crafted and genuinely dark drama and then turned it into a mixture of Midsomer Murders and Downton Abbey in the last fifteen minutes.

Absolutely dreadful.

Tragic Peculiar
May 22, 2008

Jonnty posted:

The last question was about some chapeau in France she'd been to the year before or something awful like that.

I wish I could go on holiday in a giant hat. :(

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!
Kevin is the only good Egghead. By the way the Eggheads board game is total poo poo :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Alan BStard posted:

Kevin is the only good Egghead. By the way the Eggheads board game is total poo poo :(

How does it work?

Speaking of which, does anyone know how the Pointless board game works? I can't think how it would and couldn't find anything too conclusive online.