Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Flyinglemur posted:

I think I need a bone shaman.

Tonight I was skating to the back of three line after a drill and went to stop/turn, caught an edge and bounced the back of my head off the ice pretty good.

No bone shamen needed, just a simple case of hotbrain. Stick your head in the freezer for 2 hours and you'll feel just fine tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Got about 6 hours of interrupted sleeps (normal for an old man) and feel pretty lovely this morning. Luckily I had no plans today and no "real" plans tomorrow.

I will try the freezer. I honestly thought about the Hot Brain last night after I got up and got to the bench :)

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Did any part of your cage make contact with your chin and/or face? THIS IS IMPORTANT.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Dangerllama posted:

Did any part of your cage make contact with your chin and/or face? THIS IS IMPORTANT.

I wear a visor and no.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Guarantee you'd be in the hospital if you'd been wearing a cage.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Feels good to be on the right side of a blowout for once. Plus, most of our goals came from our crappier players somehow (including me). Actually having a full bench instead of 7 guys is helpful, who knew?

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Won our (4 team) division’s summer championship last night 6-1.

It was a tight game until halfway through the 3rd when they started taking chances and we counter punched them for a few more goals. I had an assist on our first goal with a long stretch pass from the d zone and then scored the second (gwg) after pinching from the point and walking it to the middle, I was able to roof it blocker side high through a screen. :feelsgood:

Now we can look forward to a long off season as the Fall season doesn't start until next sunday.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
yaay winning tournaments while on the most time-consuming and demoralizing clinical rotation of vet school senior year!!

:D

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

That is one of the happiest post tournament pics ever!

I won a faceoff back to the d, who ripped a slap shot 2 inches off the ice, that I intentionally deflected and put into the absolute top corner of the net. It was so hard it snapped out immediately. I love those goals more than any other goal.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

xzzy posted:

I toepicked really bad on a transition last night and landed so hard on an rear end cheek I got a wave of nausea. What the hell is up with that? :iiam:

Was fine a couple minutes later.. I think I might have tweaked a muscle in the crash because I felt some twinges so I eased up a bit in response, but feel fine this morning after some easy stretches.

How the hell do you toepick in hockey skates?

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Had babby's first playoff game and it certainly was a game.

We were down 4-0 5 mins into the second and then all of a sudden things were coming along
4-3 with about 5 minutes left, I go to the front of the net and put in the effort to draw a big cross check.
Score on the ensuing power play
setup the GWG with under 30 seconds left

CALL THAT poo poo A COMEBACK

I love hockey.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

How the hell do you toepick in hockey skates?

The little bit at the front (or back) of the blade where it disappears into the holder can catch on the ice. I've done it a handful of times, because I am a poo poo skater.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

AboveAndBeyond posted:

Had babby's first playoff game and it certainly was a game.

We were down 4-0 5 mins into the second and then all of a sudden things were coming along
4-3 with about 5 minutes left, I go to the front of the net and put in the effort to draw a big cross check.
Score on the ensuing power play
setup the GWG with under 30 seconds left

CALL THAT poo poo A COMEBACK

I love hockey.

So you were playing against the Toronto Maple Leafs?

Psmith
May 7, 2007
The p is silent, as in phthisis, psychic, and ptarmigan.
So two weeks ago at a clinic session I found myself chasing after a pick into the boards and in order to save my own life I needed to stop. And I kind of did so. And then something clicked -- I found the edge.

So now I can kind of hockey stop to my right side. It's not even a little pretty as I still need to get the left skate in behind there and then I need to try the left side (which still seems impossible).

But yah, this is the greatest thing

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Anders posted:

So you were playing against the Toronto Maple Leafs?

We were the 2 seed going against the 7 seed, so just about. It was awesome and they were so butthurt in the handshake line.

Psmith posted:

But yah, this is the greatest thing

Congrats dude! There are people in my league that can't stop at all so you're one step ahead of a lot of folks! Everyone on my team can, but that's another story.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I played a game yesterday with a guy who was switching from inline.. excellent at moving as long as all you needed was straight lines and wide circles. He couldn't stop for poo poo.

He still got on the board, because you know, beginner league.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Another understated value in hockey-- how fast your goalie can skate to the bench.
We had the other team sweating hard with ours sprinting and getting on the extra attacker twice really quickly. I love 6 on 5 chances when you get a good cycle going.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

All I'm going to say is this: You know you're a terrible ref when the team who's benefitting from the calls thinks you're awful. Penalties include: a phantom elbowing call (to which the other team's bench mused, "Did he seriously just call that?"), 2-minutes unsportsmanlike for having to chase the puck because :effort: followed by a 10 minutes misconduct for getting flipped off by the called player, Waving off icing because :effort:, and just generally having an ugly mustache.

And, my personal favorite. Myself and a gentleman who was 6" taller than me who grabs my facemask and shoves me to the ice. This while the ref is literally standing three feet from us watching it happen. The call was subsequently made by the ref's partner, standing at the opposite end of the zone.

I don't mind blown or missed calls. It happens, and if you want Bill McCreary on the ice, learn to play better. But there comes a time when a ref's personal inability to stay neutral begins to impact the safety of the game. When you don't call it down the line, teams are going to take "justice" into their own hands (or, more specifically, their lovely beer league version of "justice").

Oh well. I totally didn't shake his hand after the game. That'll show him!

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 12, 2013

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?
As a person who has never been formally trained to play hockey, the first day of that inline clinic sure kicked my rear end. Only three people showed up for it so there was a ton of one-on-one time. The instructor went over a lot of what I'd imagine is gone over in a learn to play clinic. I thought the most fun was the 2-on-1 into a breakaway drill or just the break out drill. I thought it was really interesting that I was subconsciously playing to some of my technical strengths, i.e. not transitioning a certain way, and never realized it until someone pointed it out to me. Lots to work on!

In other hockey news... Our playoffs started yesterday. We were down by 1 with 1:30 left in the third. In what might have been the best hockey maneuver I've ever pulled off, I skated with the puck down the wing, stopped hard and circled back into the top of the circle to lose my defender, and went bar-down short side on the goalie to tie it. I immediately got off the rink and contemplated quitting hockey, because I'm pretty sure I'll never do anything as awesome as this again. We ended up winning about a minute into OT. Someone ever brought beer for after the game. :getin:

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Lost our championship game last night which I'm pretty bummed about. I'm 0-3 in championships in my hockey career and all I want is to taste victory once. I will take solace in the fact that we did make it to the championship game with essentially an iron man team playing in front of a handful of goalies. I think I've logged more TOI in this past season than I have in all prior seasons combined. :feelsgood:

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I think I used up all my championship mojo when my inline team won 7 of 8 championships in a 4 year span from age 10-13. Now I'll never taste victory again.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

If we're posting happy hockey photos.

we're still waiting on our uniforms so we're a bit rag tag at the moment.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

yaay winning tournaments while on the most time-consuming and demoralizing clinical rotation of vet school senior year!!

Needs more mirrored visor.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Topoisomerase posted:

Congrats Topo!

Psmith
May 7, 2007
In the next few months I may be getting a bonus from work so I plan on finally replacing the lovely bargain bin (entry level Easton) skates I bought a few years ago without doing any research. They've served their purpose so far but now that I plan on playing a lot more I'd love to make the jump to a quality skate.

Obviously I'd want to try some stuff on at Hockeymonkey or Purehockey but I've got my eyes on the Bauer Vapors. Two of them fall squarely in my price range (approx 200-250):

The X5.0 and the X60

I am not familiar enough with the naming conventions to know the difference between those two skates. Are there any notable differences between those two or is it not something I'd really notice?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The models with a decimal in the number are a year or two newer. I use X50s and they are 3 years old.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I guess the last 3v3 didn't punish me enough, because I just signed up for a second one this Friday.

Anyone got any advice on how to be competent in 3v3 cross-ice? I was starting to see patterns develop in the last games but I'm not sure if that's just because of the people I was playing against, or if there's actual "3v3 tactics" that I'm ignorant of.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Psmith posted:

In the next few months I may be getting a bonus from work so I plan on finally replacing the lovely bargain bin (entry level Easton) skates I bought a few years ago without doing any research. They've served their purpose so far but now that I plan on playing a lot more I'd love to make the jump to a quality skate.

Obviously I'd want to try some stuff on at Hockeymonkey or Purehockey but I've got my eyes on the Bauer Vapors. Two of them fall squarely in my price range (approx 200-250):

The X5.0 and the X60

I am not familiar enough with the naming conventions to know the difference between those two skates. Are there any notable differences between those two or is it not something I'd really notice?

I think the X:60s were a higher level model. I got X:5.0s right when they came out and iirc they were the same level / price point as the old X:40s.

e: Except now they actually have an "X60" model which is the equivalent of the X3.0 and so much shittier than the X:5.0 :psyduck:

That is confusing, don't re-use model numbers on crappier skates, Bauer.

Thufir fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 13, 2013

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

xzzy posted:

I guess the last 3v3 didn't punish me enough, because I just signed up for a second one this Friday.

Anyone got any advice on how to be competent in 3v3 cross-ice? I was starting to see patterns develop in the last games but I'm not sure if that's just because of the people I was playing against, or if there's actual "3v3 tactics" that I'm ignorant of.

Move your strongest skater to D and have him quarterback the play as best he can while staying home. Breakaways are deadly. Passing is the key, so keep your feet moving and learn how to spread out and stretch their players and open up passing lanes. They will be tighter given the small ice. Although if your skill level prevents quick passing opportunitie and leads to more turnovers than opportunities, if you have an open shot, I tend to want to take it, as a poor shot that is wide or blocked is a pretty easy turnover that can go the other way very quickly.

Also forecheck like crazy as a turnover on small ice means that you're likely to have a decent scoring chance if you can get the shot off quickly.

Psmith
May 7, 2007

Thufir posted:

I think the X:60s were a higher level model. I got X:5.0s right when they came out and iirc they were the same level / price point as the old X:40s.

e: Except now they actually have an "X60" model which is the equivalent of the X3.0 and so much shittier than the X:5.0 :psyduck:

That is confusing, don't re-use model numbers on crappier skates, Bauer.

Yah that's exactly the issue I was having. I assumed the X:60's were at a higher position in an older line and therefore the same price. But then I saw some listing as X60 2013 so I don't know if it's the same skate with some minor upgrades or what.

Psmith fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 13, 2013

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What about setting up a skater on the weak side? There was one team that was deadly with this.. especially late when the goalies were getting tired. They'd skate the puck up along one wing while the late man went to the far side trying to avoid being noticed. A quick cross-crease pass and he'd bang it home just about every time.

Eventually we wizened up to this and we made a point to stick to man coverage, which helped a lot. What I'm not sure of is if this is a tested tactic, or it was just a response the other team saw in reaction to our poor defense.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Psmith posted:

Yah that's exactly the issue I was having. I assumed the X:60's were at a higher position in an older line and therefore the same price. But then I saw some listing as X60 2013 so I don't know if it's the same skate with some minor upgrades or what.

Ice Warehouse tells you model "heritage", 2013 X60 is based on the X3.0 http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=BX6S3 which was itself based (I think) on the old X:20, so it's not a quality skate.

Psmith
May 7, 2007

Thufir posted:

Ice Warehouse tells you model "heritage", 2013 X60 is based on the X3.0 http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=BX6S3 which was itself based (I think) on the old X:20, so it's not a quality skate.

Cool, so it seems like the X5.0 is a good option for that price range.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

xzzy posted:

What about setting up a skater on the weak side? There was one team that was deadly with this.. especially late when the goalies were getting tired. They'd skate the puck up along one wing while the late man went to the far side trying to avoid being noticed. A quick cross-crease pass and he'd bang it home just about every time.

Eventually we wizened up to this and we made a point to stick to man coverage, which helped a lot. What I'm not sure of is if this is a tested tactic, or it was just a response the other team saw in reaction to our poor defense.

It's just a reaction to poor defense. It's easy to stop if you look for it, you just can't have 2 people skating back focusing on the guy with the puck. It's basically a weak side cherry picker. The weak side is almost always a good spot to have someone free.

Higher level 3v3 teams will use behind the net and run rotations (triangle shape) non stop until someone forgets to pick someone up and there's an open chance. But lower level teams this can be a problem as your good defensemen can get rotated down low and leave your weak skater exposed as the backstop against a breakaway.

EDIT: Also 3v3 is ripe for sweet dangles because you get past even one guy and you've got a pretty awesome advantage if not a clearly open shot.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 13, 2013

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

re: Bad Ref Talk

(This is inline)

Last week, our team (#1) faced the #2 team in the league, we ended up beating them pretty handily. The games are always chippy between our teams, with some hooking and slashing calls made. With about 2:30 left in the game, and us up by 3 or 4, I get the puck and skate it up the right wing, and their top D, who is like 6'4 250lbs, comes skating towards me to defend me. So, I dump it off the boards and into the zone, and try and sneak past him along the boards. He doesn't turn away, but keeps coming at me and lunges his elbow at my head. Luckily I duck, and it only grazes my helmet, but still gets enough of me to knock me into the boards. He gets called for 2 minutes for elbowing, and while talking back to the refs, gets another 2+10 for misconduct, ending his game.

That, being said, the ref that was behind the play and gave the player the 2+10 for the misconduct, came and saw me before tonight's game. He asked if I got hit last week, and I told him it only grazed me, and he joked that if he got all of it, I would have died. (I am 5'9, 130lbs) The rest of my team in the locker room laughed and agreed. I agree too. Anyway, he talked to the other ref and the commissioner, and since the player who elbowed me wasn't going to be suspended, he told me that it would be his last season reffing here. He has been reffing there ever since I started playing inline there about 6 years ago. He isn't exactly the best ref, and not many people like him, for various reasons, but it's weird to be the reason somebody is going to stop reffing.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Gong show last night!

Semi finals in our league. We go to double overtime after 1-1 since the first period. It's chippy as hell - this team we are playing is giving us the boots. Loads of penalties against them for roughing, tripping, slashing, and I think an unsportsmanlike came about also. It's a gonger and people are yelling, shouting, losing their poo poo. People are MAD as hell. I'm peeling my captain (5'7" girl) away from the other team when she is ready to kill a guy.

The game ends when we stuff home a rebound a few minutes into the second overtime. Thank loving God. At this point I'm just afraid to be out there the way it was going. I head down the hallway to talk to my roommate who was in attendance and someone grabs me: "Hey, there's a fight you better get down there."

I arrive when it's all over. Apparently the captain of the other team told my captain (again: little blonde girl) that he was going to spin her around and shove his dick in her rear end. Well wouldn't you know it our other female player (star defense - great skater) choke slams the dude to the wall until people break it up.

I've never had such a poo poo house game before. Finals are on Thursday. Hopefully (probably) this is the worst of it all. Beer league, man. Serious business.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Got my first goal tonight in our second playoff game!
Top shelf backhand after I got the goalie to flop. It was glorious and ended up being the gwg in a tight 2-1 win.
Of course, I immediately threw my hands up, let out a shout of excitement and relief and had a massive hug and fist bump fest. Feels good, dudes.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I will not forecheck the goalie while taking a line straight at the end boards.

Blew a tire as I was turning, about three feet from the boards. My knees look like someone surgically implanted two grapefruit in them :smithicide:

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

AboveAndBeyond posted:

Got my first goal tonight in our second playoff game!
Top shelf backhand after I got the goalie to flop. It was glorious and ended up being the gwg in a tight 2-1 win.
Of course, I immediately threw my hands up, let out a shout of excitement and relief and had a massive hug and fist bump fest. Feels good, dudes.

loving awesome, congrats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Man I got the poo poo kicked out of me this weekend.

Wrister to the nuts, bruise on my foot from another wrister, sore calf where a slap shot deflected into me, and I'd have (at least) a broken nose if I didn't wear a cage because I got slashed hard in a scrum around the crease.. it drat near blew the helmet clean off.

Also three games in four days. :black101: