Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Cat
Mar 22, 2012
I'm going to try making oatmeal overnight in a slow cooker. Its a 5-quart and here are my ingredients I want to use:

Old fashioned oats, I'll have to go to whole foods next time for steel-cut :(
Apples
Cinnamon
brown sugar
milk
peanut butter

I also have almonds I could throw in if it ever made any sense.

So how much of what should I aim for and will this work? I googled around on the internet and I couldn't find a recipe that fit perfectly for what I'm wanting to do. I'll definitely trial and error my way to something that works but I'd love to get any advice I can on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Sometime soon, I would really like to make use of some of the more exotic meats available at the nearby ethnic markets. I see rabbit regularly (it's not really exotic but whatever, I never had), pigs feet and jowls and faces, cow tongue, cow feet, beef heart, ox tail, etc.

Seeing as I have never tried any of that stuff, could someone maybe give me an idea of what to expect taste wise, and give me an idea of what the hell I'd do with any of these? I know ox tail is supposed to be amazing.
I've used hog jowl in spaghetti carbonara before, to good effect; it's the same part of the pig as guanciale, and though the flavor will be somewhat different because of the preparation methods of the meat (jowls traditionally being smoked, and guanciale being unsmoked and spice-rubbed) it should still taste great.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I'm making roast vegetable croquettes. The mixture is very loose. Too loose. I don't have bread crumbs to thicken it. I'm concerned about using flour in case it doesn't cook out. I thought about using oats perhaps, although same problem, or trying to make crumbs from matzah. Suggestions? Dry couscous would probably not cook either.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Black Cat posted:

I'm going to try making oatmeal overnight in a slow cooker. Its a 5-quart and here are my ingredients I want to use:

Apples
Cinnamon
brown sugar
milk
peanut butter

So how much of what should I aim for and will this work? I googled around on the internet and I couldn't find a recipe that fit perfectly for what I'm wanting to do. I'll definitely trial and error my way to something that works but I'd love to get any advice I can on it.

Use about 0.6-0.75 cup oats per serving and just over 2.5 times that in liquid, mostly water but with some milk. I'd add the flavourings to the cooked porridge.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Moe_Rahn posted:

I've used hog jowl in spaghetti carbonara before, to good effect; it's the same part of the pig as guanciale, and though the flavor will be somewhat different because of the preparation methods of the meat (jowls traditionally being smoked, and guanciale being unsmoked and spice-rubbed) it should still taste great.

Yeah I'm a convert to smoked jowls in carbonara. It's definitely my favorite way to go.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I had a quick food safety question. My father dipped a bunch of cooked shrimp directly in a jar of grey poupon mustard. Is the mustard safe to eat?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
I bought some whole Pepperoni sausages from the butcher. They have a pretty thick/chewy skin on them, am I supposed to peel it off?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Rand alPaul posted:

I had a quick food safety question. My father dipped a bunch of cooked shrimp directly in a jar of grey poupon mustard. Is the mustard safe to eat?

It would be illegal for a restaurant to use it, and I would not feed it to a child or someone with an autoimmune condition, but it probably won't kill anymore.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

It would be illegal for a restaurant to use it, and I would not feed it to a child or someone with an autoimmune condition, but it probably won't kill anymore.

Ok thanks, I have another jar, I'll just throw it out.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I have a pork tenderloin with a bit more fat than usual on it. Should I trim it?

It's also like, local and organic and free range or whatever pork equivalent is, so I want to cook it perfectly. Should I cut the strings before rubbing and roasting?

For reference:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

tuyop posted:

Should I trim it?

no. I would score it though. Lightly cut across it in a waffle pattern. Don't cut deep enough to hit the skin, You really just want outlets for the rendered fat to come out. Roast it fat side up. As it cooks, the fat will render and it will baste the meat. Throw some root veg in the pan with it and they will drink up that pork fat.

quote:

Should I cut the strings before rubbing and roasting?

yes.

Edit: vvv

vOv I've never had a problem with it. Not a big deal either way. It's chunk of muscle not something floppy like a chicken, it should be able to hold its own.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 18, 2013

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What? No don't cut the strings. Tying it helps keep it a uniform shape and this it will cook more uniformly.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Black Cat posted:

Apples
Cinnamon
brown sugar
milk
peanut butter

Not sure how the peanut butter will do in there. I would also throw the almonds on top after its all cooked. If you have any vanilla extract, a little bit goes a long way and adds some nice flavor.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Ok I have a food safety question as well. I made some simple salad dressing with these ingredients:

1 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbs lemon juice
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 tsp sea salt
1 garlic clove, finely minced
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp raw honey
1 tsp dried herbs of choice
(basil, thyme, chives, rosemary,
oregano, tarragon)

I used it a bunch then set it on the counter in a glass jar with a clasp lid... about six weeks ago or more.

It smells fine, but I'm worried that the garlic or herbs or SOMETHING might be hosting botulism or something nasty. Is this dressing safe?

I remember doing the same thing before, but only keeping it for four weeks or so and I'm still here so...

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

The garlic is your most dangerous ingredient in terms of botulism danger. With the acidic components, though, you might be safe. I think the target pH is below 4.6?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

RazorBunny posted:

The garlic is your most dangerous ingredient in terms of botulism danger. With the acidic components, though, you might be safe. I think the target pH is below 4.6?

Yeah ok, the garlic sits in the vinegar and the oil floats on top so I'm sure it's pretty acidic down there. Thanks! :)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

tuyop posted:

I have a pork tenderloin with a bit more fat than usual on it. Should I trim it?

It's also like, local and organic and free range or whatever pork equivalent is, so I want to cook it perfectly. Should I cut the strings before rubbing and roasting?

For reference:

I cut the strings. And the meat is just so high quality that I think it can't be hosed up. In particular, I can't believe the way that the fat tastes. Thanks for the help!

Here's the recipe. The gravy is quite good too, even though I'm more of an au jus person.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

So I'm making this in the slow cooker I got from Christmas, and I'm wondering if I can use the cooking sherry (not "cooking sherry", just a good fortified sherry for cooking) I got from Christmas as well. I have no idea if sherry would work for a soup like that.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

tuyop posted:

That's actually a boneless pork loin roast, right?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

geetee posted:

Yes.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Anyone have a good idea for these four pomelos sitting on my counter? I don't have a juicer, and all I can think of is fruit salad.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

geetee posted:

I feel like a retard, but what's the difference?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

tuyop posted:

I feel like a retard, but what's the difference?

Loin is basically anything between the ribs and the skin of the hog, tenderloin is a muscle that runs under the spine that's about as close to devoid of fat as you're going to get. The muscle that makes up the tenderloin doesn't do much work in pretty much all quadrupeds making it tender but relatively lacking in flavor.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jan 18, 2013

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

tuyop posted:

I cut the strings. And the meat is just so high quality that I think it can't be hosed up. In particular, I can't believe the way that the fat tastes. Thanks for the help!

Here's the recipe. The gravy is quite good too, even though I'm more of an au jus person.

How was the texture of the meat, in the end? The recipe calls for pulling it at 175 degrees, which is really high for lean pork.

CombatCupcake
Oct 20, 2005
I went to a work party and they had a cheese platter. There was this one cheese that was sort of in a log shape if I remember. Not that long though. The closest thing I could say it was like was Farmer Cheese. Where it was kind of gritty and broken up, but not dry and crumbly like feta. Not very strong but a nice flavor.
I have no idea what it was, I'm not good at describing or telling cheeses apart.
Any idea? Someone suggested goat cheese, but I tried one from a market, the little branded, wrapped one. It was terrible.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

CombatCupcake posted:

I went to a work party and they had a cheese platter. There was this one cheese that was sort of in a log shape if I remember. Not that long though. The closest thing I could say it was like was Farmer Cheese. Where it was kind of gritty and broken up, but not dry and crumbly like feta. Not very strong but a nice flavor.
I have no idea what it was, I'm not good at describing or telling cheeses apart.
Any idea? Someone suggested goat cheese, but I tried one from a market, the little branded, wrapped one. It was terrible.

It does sound like goat's cheese alright. Did the goat's cheese you bought have a rind on it? I've noticed that the rindless one you can get from the supermarket does have a milder, crumblier taste and texture compared to the one that comes in a rind- the second type ripens to a camenbertish sort of texture and the taste gets stronger as it ages.

Edit: pic of rindless cheese:

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Rand alPaul posted:

Ok thanks, I have another jar, I'll just throw it out.

I don't know of any health risks that cooked shrimp might create, but if nothing else it just seems like it'd be gross to have a shrimpy flavor in your mustard. Seems like a waste to just chuck a whole jar, though. If you still have it, you could rub it all over some chicken (wings, breasts, boneless/boned, whatever. It all works similarly for this purpose), roll it in panko, then bake it. Toss in herbs or whatever in the mustard if you want. That's one of my go-to base ideas when I'm too lazy to think of anything new.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

therattle posted:

I'm making roast vegetable croquettes. The mixture is very loose. Too loose. I don't have bread crumbs to thicken it. I'm concerned about using flour in case it doesn't cook out. I thought about using oats perhaps, although same problem, or trying to make crumbs from matzah. Suggestions? Dry couscous would probably not cook either.

I added matzoh broken up to make a rough flour, which helped a bit, then some flour. The flour made it taste floury and did not add sufficient body to allow the croquettes to stick together when frying. In desperation, and thinking I'd probably wasted the lot, I chucked it in the oven in a baking dish and set the heat to medium. It worked perfectly: the moisture cooked out, and the flour cooked through. The offspring guzzled it for dinner tonight. Really relieved.

CombatCupcake
Oct 20, 2005

Pookah posted:

It does sound like goat's cheese alright. Did the goat's cheese you bought have a rind on it? I've noticed that the rindless one you can get from the supermarket does have a milder, crumblier taste and texture compared to the one that comes in a rind- the second type ripens to a camenbertish sort of texture and the taste gets stronger as it ages.

Edit: pic of rindless cheese:

I got this one
It was rather creamy, and kind of strong. I didn't like it at all.

I don't believe it had a rind, I was able to scoop it up with a thin cracker.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

therattle posted:

Hopefully it's not too late to help you, but do you have any (sandwich) bread? And a food processor? A little butter/oil?

You can make your own breadcrumbs then.

Otherwise the matzoh ground into small crumbs could work, as would saltines, used sparingly.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

CombatCupcake posted:

I got this one
It was rather creamy, and kind of strong. I didn't like it at all.

I don't believe it had a rind, I was able to scoop it up with a thin cracker.

Yep, that looks like the rindless goat cheese I get around here so I'm stumped :(

Unless it was a very fresh goat cheese that hadn't ripened much which (I think) would make it crumblier and milder?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

There's a lot of variation in chèvre, I've found. If you have access to different brands, you may be able to find one that's more like what you had at the party.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I want to cook lamb steaks and my parents have half a butchered lamb in their freezer. Can I cut the steaks off something like a leg or would I need to get it cut separately at a butchers? Its not something typically sold in England so I'm not sure what to look for.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Happy Abobo posted:

How was the texture of the meat, in the end? The recipe calls for pulling it at 175 degrees, which is really high for lean pork.

Nearly perfect. Not as rare as I like but I pulled it out fifteen minutes early. I think it's just hard to gently caress up high quality meat like that.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Scott Bakula posted:

I want to cook lamb steaks and my parents have half a butchered lamb in their freezer. Can I cut the steaks off something like a leg or would I need to get it cut separately at a butchers? Its not something typically sold in England so I'm not sure what to look for.

I had some leg recently, it seemed to cook similar to beef steak

edit: VVVV yeah, probably want to take it to the butcher

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 18, 2013

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

I had some leg recently, it seemed to cook similar to beef steak

This is a whole leg pretty much and I don't have the tools to cut through the bone either

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Scott Bakula posted:

I know that Waitrose, Morrisons and Sainsbury's carry Lamb Leg Steaks if you don't want to take a knife to a leg.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I can cut it I'm just not sure how to go about it without going through the bone, that I can't, unless I cut against the grain.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Scott Bakula posted:

I can cut it I'm just not sure how to go about it without going through the bone, that I can't, unless I cut against the grain.

do you have a hacksaw?

(100% serious post)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

do you have a hacksaw?

(100% serious post)

I've since learned the bone can be cut through. I guess now what I need to know is what I need to cut for lamb steak? Do I just cut the desired thickness through the meat then saw through the bone? Can I do it boneless? Is it just cutting through the thickest part of the leg until I have what are steak?

With the steak frozen I'm really against buying anything if I can avoid it. To go with this actually, what is best to grind for lamb mince? Its really hard to find in stock at the supermarket