Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

howe_sam posted:

It's a little amazing they can't afford the rights to the A-Team theme.
All the money in the world won't help if they won't give you the rights in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
BBC has a deal with copyright holders that they can use pretty much any music that they also broadcast on the radio but that only extends to broadcasts, not home video or streaming. MTV has a similar deal.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I don't think I've ever noticed or cared about the music in a Top Gear episode and am surprised how big of a deal you all make of it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Toe Rag posted:

I don't think I've ever noticed or cared about the music in a Top Gear episode and am surprised how big of a deal you all make of it.
Do you watch with tinny laptop speakers?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Toe Rag posted:

The uh, music in Too Gear is critical for nailing just how good the production is.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
It's like a full third of what makes the show work as well as it does: The soundtrack and audio work, the cinematography and editing, the hosts.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Toe Rag posted:

Did you watch it on BBC or what?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

davebo posted:

You would think by this point Top Gear would realize what a global audience they have and just start editing to music they can buy the rights to instead of relying on the old "steal whoever's music we want as long as it's for use within the United Kingdom" rule and giving everyone else the bastardized version.

...but when the music's on point, it's on loving point and a lot of it has been in my music collection so I get a smug feeling when they play something I already have :v:

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

hopterque posted:

It's like a full third of what makes the show work as well as it does: The soundtrack and audio work, the cinematography and editing, the hosts.
That's so true. Luckily, the Norwegian state broadcaster works much like the BBC (being license funded) and must have some kind of agreement with them since all the episodes that were broadcast here had the original soundtrack. I think the BBC and NRK has had a close relationship since literally forever television has existed here.

I still haven't seen an episode with the American replacement soundtrack. It can't be good, when often the title or a lyric of the song that plays at a specific moment is the joke.

F4rt5 fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Sep 28, 2017

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah, it's just sad when the A-Team theme or the James Bond theme gets replaced by some generic royalty-free poo poo, particularly when the entire point of a scene's dialogue and such is the reveal of that specific cue of music.

Also even just good incidental music adds tremendously. I can't even imagine the Amazon special is half as good without the original soundtrack.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Data Graham posted:

Did you watch it on BBC or what?

For series 19 and onward, probably. When they did the Interceptors film or the Enzo review, then the music plays into the humor, but otherwise, kind of drawing a blank. I am thinking of when they go to a workshop and "cue the music." I can't think of a single time where that was ever remarkable, or even any other time they would have played music.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Was the Interceptors theme an original composition or was it borrowed from something else?

I always thought if it was new, the composer ought to get some kind of medal for ersatz 70s spy show music. It's incredible.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Should be on the list: https://www.tunefind.com/show/top-gear-uk/season-17/15199

If it's The Professionals theme then that's OG 70s goodness.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

No, but it sure is dead-on what they were parodying (visually at least).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCFVEvZvo3g

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's the crazy copyright law that lets them use the music in the first place. BBC basically says "We're the government, so we can use any music for anything without paying copyright." That means they use music that the owners would never be willing to license for any amount. That only flies in the UK though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think it only flies on TV for the DVDs, I think they have to change it.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Just another one of those things where you get a better experience by breaking the rules rather than trying to play by them.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

KillHour posted:

It's the crazy copyright law that lets them use the music in the first place. BBC basically says "We're the government, so we can use any music for anything without paying copyright." That means they use music that the owners would never be willing to license for any amount. That only flies in the UK though.

This is not true, the BBC pays a blanket license for the music, they don't just seize the means of production from the proletariat.

Using original, unedited music in productions of films is not the same as using "C'mon Baby Light My Buick" edits in the production of advertisements, so almost zero artists refuse to let their original music be used in situations it will make them money. Artists, it turns out, really really love money for doing absolutely nothing. The BBC blanket license pays them a share for the usage across the entirety of the BBC's entertainment empire. The BBC makes it a rule that their productions can not advertise nor denigrate products from a commercial standpoint, which you'll notice Jeremy & Co saying "Due to the unique way in which the BBC is funded..." in episodes all the time.

Copyright law as it pertains to musical recordings varies between the UK and other locations due to this whole "Other governments" thing; the BBC's license does not cover rebroadcasts in regions outside of where it is originally licensed.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

And yet, that infamous Tesla Roadster review

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Well it's not like they don't positively endorse cars too, right? That's kind of the whole point, being on the BBC was supposed to be why they could afford to be honest in their opinions instead of just doing puff pieces on Mercedes or whoever pays for the ads on American TV.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_NRSoVncJQ

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!
That trailer looks encouraging, just hope they have cut some of the studio bollocks out this time, celebrity brain crash and the american weren't really funny to begin with and didn't get any better.

Looks like there might be a good car challenge with hammond on a bike so looking forward to that.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah it looks like there could be more cheap/old car challenge stuff, which was sorely lacking from the first season.

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010
did I just see a jet boat made out of a mini SUV?

Yes, I did.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think the celebrity brain crash thing has run its course. It was funny the first few times, but it's getting tedious. It's only a few minutes, but I'd rather they devote that to more time in the films.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Clarksons face has grown a 4th dimension.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

"More monkey business" along with random animated monkey is the kind of stuff a good old BBC producer would reject.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I know it won't be one of the most exciting cars they review this season but I definitely saw James driving the Kia Stinger GT, and since I'm planning on getting one in the near future I'm excited to have a car I'll own actually be reviewed on Top Gear I mean Grand Tour.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

davebo posted:

I know it won't be one of the most exciting cars they review this season but I definitely saw James driving the Kia Stinger GT, and since I'm planning on getting one in the near future I'm excited to have a car I'll own actually be reviewed on Top Gear I mean Grand Tour.

You’ll be seeing a lot more of it in a couple of weeks as the US first drive happens soon.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

It is a shame that we'll never get any more news about the Dacia Sandero. It seemed like an interesting little car.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ola posted:

"More monkey business" along with random animated monkey is the kind of stuff a good old BBC producer would reject.
I keep expecting to hear the characteristic tone of a 90s SoundBlaster. Deep in the Carribean Sea...

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

drgitlin posted:

You’ll be seeing a lot more of it in a couple of weeks as the US first drive happens soon.

If you get to drive one soon hit me up, I'll meet you anywhere. My local dealer still doesn't have an exact date when they'll get a US-spec one in, and I'm not going to Montgomery Mall to stare at a Korean one I can't sit in.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

davebo posted:

If you get to drive one soon hit me up, I'll meet you anywhere. My local dealer still doesn't have an exact date when they'll get a US-spec one in, and I'm not going to Montgomery Mall to stare at a Korean one I can't sit in.

We’re being told they are at the port of arrival for our region and that mid month we can place our orders and they should start arriving last week of November to first week of December. Shouldn’t be much longer if you want to TD one.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Ola posted:

Consider that they have the same producer they had when on the BBC, no.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Nah Oisin couldn't punch at this level.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I've been watching the new Wheeler Dealers. Mike is still Mike. Ant is pretty good, and he definitely knows his poo poo, but I don't find him as personable as Edd.

busysignal
Nov 28, 2013

Mister Kingdom posted:

I've been watching the new Wheeler Dealers. Mike is still Mike. Ant is pretty good, and he definitely knows his poo poo, but I don't find him as personable as Edd.

Does the show start any different than when Edd was there?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

busysignal posted:

Does the show start any different than when Edd was there?

It's the same setup.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Mister Kingdom posted:

Yeah, I miss Edd but it's still got nearly the same level of decent wrench turning content, Ant definitely seems legit. Still better than the trash that passes as car shows on TV otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

davebo posted:

The event is in LA, sorry.