Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Internet Explorer posted:

Yeah, for brisket and pork butt I put it in at night before I go to sleep. I'll usually wake up once or twice to refill woodchips, but that's worth it to me rather than putting it in early in the morning. This is one of the reasons I am glad I have an electric smoker. I think you can do the same with the fancier pellet smokers, but I have very little interest in putting in the effort that a more traditional smoker takes.

Yeah I think I’ll start the night before next time...13.5 hours and it’s 185 degrees...crutched and heat is up to 275.

Edit: 14.5 hours and it finally got to 197. I checked it and it passed the fork test so I pulled it.

It turned out loving amazing and I have the meat sweats now.

nwin fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Dec 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Out of curiosity how many times do you think you opened the door during the cook?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Mob posted:

Out of curiosity how many times do you think you opened the door during the cook?

Hmm, maybe 3-4?

Started the MES, got to temp.
Opened door, put AMNPS inside, got back up to temp.
Opened door, put food inside.
Let it sit for a long time
Opened door, removed AMNPS after I think 6 hours?
Opened door, removed food, closed door, brought inside, foiled, opened door, put food back in.
Let it sit for another 2-3 hours, then opened the door to open the foil up, and it cooked for another 20 minutes before I saw the temp dropping.

Looks like it was closed for the beginning stages of the cook-I only really opened it once the food was in to remove the pellet smoker and then again to crutch it. I have one with the window and the one good thing about that is I could see how much of the pellets had burned.

It was about 45 degrees here yesterday and I saw that temp plummet when I opened it. However it seemed to come back to temp fairly quickly.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I decided to make some salmon and smoke some Beef for Pepper Stout Beef for a work thing on Thurs. My Amaze-n didn't stay lit and I didn't use the regular hopper at all. So nothing really has smoke flavor. I only smoked the salmon for a couple hours and the beef for 3 so by the time I noticed it was too later to relight.

I smoked the beef yesterday so I don't have to after work on Wed. I let them cool off and they are in the fridge until Wed night when they will go in the oven with the peppers and beer.

I am sure it will still be great but kinda disappointed on the lack of smoke. I might throw some liquid smoke in with the beer.

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

If you're looking it ain't cooking

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.
Anyone with a Pellet Grill (e.g. GMG, RecTec) that has thoughts on searing grates? I'm mostly looking to find out how effective they are and whether I can get rid of the extra propane grill I have for finishing?

Picked up a GMG Daniel Boone Prime during the sale last week. Mostly done smoking on it but looking to expand that.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Dick Nipples posted:

Anyone with a Pellet Grill (e.g. GMG, RecTec) that has thoughts on searing grates? I'm mostly looking to find out how effective they are and whether I can get rid of the extra propane grill I have for finishing?

Picked up a GMG Daniel Boone Prime during the sale last week. Mostly done smoking on it but looking to expand that.
I own a GMG and I would never try to sear anything on it. That’s not really what they’re for.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

dy. posted:

I own a GMG and I would never try to sear anything on it. That’s not really what they’re for.

Fair enough. I threw a cast iron griddle in there last night and that worked well enough with kebabs.

I mostly hate searing in the house because smoke. Was hoping that the various searing grates I see online might be a larger surface area solution.

Braggo
Jul 26, 2005
I need some kamado advice goons.

Ace has a deal right now where I can get a BGE with a nest, the smoking plate thing (can't remember all the drat egg pun names for accessories) and some charcoal for $899. They also have the Kamado Joe Classic 2 large for $999. Is there a going opinion on which is better? By the time I add a few little things to the egg it's gonna be the same price (or more) as the Kamado Joe. Should I be looking at any other models?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I don't think you'll find a big difference between them unless there are some weird accessories you have your eyes on. Again I go to grill size. The KJ Classic II Large is 18" grill diameter, and the BGE Large (I assume) is 18.4". My mental baseline is 22.5" weber kettle, so I ended up getting an XL BGE just so that I wasn't cutting back. Of course then you're up to several hundred more dollars. Just something to consider.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Braggo posted:

Ace has a deal right now where I can get a BGE with a nest, the smoking plate thing (can't remember all the drat egg pun names for accessories) and some charcoal for $899. They also have the Kamado Joe Classic 2 large for $999. Is there a going opinion on which is better? By the time I add a few little things to the egg it's gonna be the same price (or more) as the Kamado Joe. Should I be looking at any other models?

I bought the Joe Classic 2 over the BGE after a bunch of research and have zero regrets. It's so well built and does an amazing job. I think you'll be happy either way though, they both seem to be very well reviewed.

Braggo
Jul 26, 2005
I also see that the Primo Kamado is $800 on Amazon. Is it comparable to them as well? I've heard good things about their oval grills.

As far as accessories go with the BGE I'd have to get an ash tool, grate grabber thing, and shelves I believe just to match the Joe. Obviously those don't have to be official BGE accessories so I could save some there.

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."
The hinge on the Joe is worth that difference imo. Whilst the BGE isn't bad, being able to lift the joe's lid up with a finger is pretty nifty

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
What's everyone's go to heat resistant gloves? Available on Amazon is a plus.

I had a pair but they were always pretty stiff and I found out they had a hole in one of the fingers when I used them to pull a bag out of a 165 degree Sous Vide bath.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Trastion posted:

I had a pair but they were always pretty stiff and I found out they had a hole in one of the fingers when I used them to pull a bag out of a 165 degree Sous Vide bath.

So.. I sorta view your question as two things: Hot Dry Things & Hot Wet Things.

I use these when dealing with stuff on the grill/smoker/hot dry thing: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JFCEDM. They work pretty well though probably not as well as they could.

For hot liquid - that's a different story. Typically, I'll just pull those out with tongs.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Braggo posted:

that's not a bad price for an egg with nest and the plate setter (it has a different name now) but IMO the way to go with eggs is to buy them used. just watch craigslist and be ready to jump on a deal.

both are going to be good and operate about the same. KJ might have a bit less aftermarket options for accessories but that might not matter too much to you.

primos are not good and ive seen a lot of complaints in the past about the tops splitting, because they're not made as a single piece but bonded somehow.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Dick Nipples posted:

So.. I sorta view your question as two things: Hot Dry Things & Hot Wet Things.

I use these when dealing with stuff on the grill/smoker/hot dry thing: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JFCEDM. They work pretty well though probably not as well as they could.

For hot liquid - that's a different story. Typically, I'll just pull those out with tongs.

Yeah mostly for the smoker. I couldn't grab the bag with tongs so used the glove and found out it had some holes in a finger.

And something is fucky with that link. No worky.

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do

Trastion posted:

And something is fucky with that link. No worky.

Remove the period at the end:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JFCEDM

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Trastion posted:

I haven't found one I've particularly liked. I'm starting to think having individual control of fingers with things like oven mits is a contradictory requirement that trades insulation for that dexterity. In my case, they don't seem to protect my hands long enough to take a hot pan from the outdoor kitchen to the indoor dining room. That distance is a little bit long, but the important bit is it's less than 30 seconds.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
These are what I use for wet stuff.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0007ZGURK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are the poo poo for pulling pork. I also use them to take the butts off the racks, when the butts are so well done that tongs just make a mess of them.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Canuckistan posted:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0007ZGURK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are the poo poo for pulling pork. I also use them to take the butts off the racks, when the butts are so well done that tongs just make a mess of them.

Heh, I have the exact same pair.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Yeah I have those too haha. For the grill/smoker I use an ove glove knockoff, you can't like pick up hot coals with it but I've never really felt any heat through it otherwise. Does the job well enough.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

thanks. For :10bux: i'll give these a try and if I don't like them I'll try the next ones.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I thought the cotton gloves with nitrile gloves over was the standard for handling hot foods. Works just fine for moving and pulling pork butts in my experience.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

Dango Bango posted:

I thought the cotton gloves with nitrile gloves over was the standard for handling hot foods. Works just fine for moving and pulling pork butts in my experience.

I use this combo. If it's good enough for Malcom Reed it's good enough for me!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I use these and they seem to work great. You can use them on either hand, so they kinda feel a bit weird, but they work well enough.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KZBY806

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I use $8 red ugly BBQ silocon gloves I Got fof amazon.. they work great fro pulling pork, handling hot pans etc.. love em.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
While we're talking about touching butts- I'm doing my first overnight cook and since I'm not in a rush my cook will probably go quick. What temp should I set my flame boss to safely keep it warm once it hits temp?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Canuckistan posted:

I bought a very similar (or identical) pair to these. They work fine for touching meat, but I melted them trying to empty the chip tray in my MES. I ended up getting a silicone pair like the ones Henrik linked to and I don't have that issue.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Spiggy posted:

While we're talking about touching butts- I'm doing my first overnight cook and since I'm not in a rush my cook will probably go quick. What temp should I set my flame boss to safely keep it warm once it hits temp?

My traeger lets me go down to 160. I use that if it’s just going to sit and keep it warm.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop

This was probably my best shoulder I did this year- the thing was so tender that by the time it hit temp, the part touching the grates peeled off when I removed it from the smoker. It was easy to salvage and turned into a pretty good breakfast before my department's pot luck.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I'm planning to smoke a 2 pound chuck roast for dinner tomorrow. It's small but it's just me and my parents, so nothing grand needed. I'm using a Masterbuilt Portable Electric, and I've found a couple of recipes that should work - only they all specify smoking 6-8 hours and are assuming a weight of 5 pounds or more.

How long should I plan to smoke this little guy tomorrow? Just trying to nail down when I should get things started.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

They say 1-2 hours per pound so 3 maybe, but plan on 7. I'm actually wondering if a butt that small will reach temp before all the connective tissue breaks down though.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

McSpankWich posted:

They say 1-2 hours per pound so 3 maybe, but plan on 7. I'm actually wondering if a butt that small will reach temp before all the connective tissue breaks down though.

If that's the case, I might need to cook at 225 instead of 250

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

After acquiring a used WSM, I did my first extended smoke last night/today - 2x ~7.5lb boneless pork butts. Was also my first test of my ESP32/MQTT-based remote thermometer, which will eventually do automatic temperature control. (Same idea as HeaterMeter, but instead of Arduino/RasPi, the ESP32 does the measurement and control and I pipe data from it to my home automation system/database, where I can do pretty post-graphics and get fun built in functions like asking Siri what temperature the meat is.)

The rub I used was heavily based on black pepper with some paprika and a little bit of cayenne. Rubbed butts going on at 10 PM:

Home Assistant mobile app displaying temperatures.

Graph of the entire cook. I probably didn’t have quite enough charcoal to start out, which led to overnight temperature sag and wound up cooking for a lot of time at closer to 215 than 225-250.

Sharp downward spikes are lid opens (I basted with an NC-style vinegar and pepper baste) and the 2PM glitching is from when I moved the butts off the smoker and into a 300F oven to finish them off (didn’t bother to put the air probe into the oven). The charcoal was running low and I didn't feel like lighting more and prolonging it given that they'd already been cooking for 16 hours. I did not foil or crutch, just waited it out (that's why I started it at 10 PM.) Butts came out of the oven at ~4PM, just about 18 hours after they first went on.

Final temp measured around 200 instant read, 195 on the probe. Fork turned with almost no resistance.

Butts coming out of the oven, getting ready to get wrapped to rest.

After 90 minute rest in a cooler, took a slice to see what I would see. I was pretty happy.

I mean, I think I got a nice smoke ring, good bark, meat was nice and tender and pulled well.

Mid-pulling of one butt:

Sauced it with more of the pepper/vinegar baste. Probably netted around 7.5 lbs from the original 15; vacuum sealed and froze 4.5 lbs and fed a small crowd with the remainder. They came back for seconds, so I figure a successful first pork butt.

Kalman fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Dec 24, 2019

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Nice work!

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
About to smoke some salmon like I do every Christmas. Got it out of the fridge and in front of a fan right now to get a good pelicle goin.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Love a good pelicle

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."
Christmas down under

Porchetta

Pulled lamb (I started pulling before I remembered to take a photo)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

X13Fen posted:

Christmas down under

Yeehaw. Looks great