Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Ireland is its own drat country. Sigh.

:ughh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

A Man and his dog posted:

If someone says they were in an Irish restaurant I'd assume they weren't in Ireland

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

drgitlin posted:

Ireland isn't the UK.

It used to be!

Also there are a bunch of curry places in Dublin... But there are a hell of a lot more in Edinburgh.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
In this case I'm in Southern California.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

I know learning new things can be challenging sometimes, but don't give up A Man and his dog!!!

Maybe one day you will even be able to travel to a country other than your own, and find new, exotic girls who like to 'get down'. Buck up, chipperoo!

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Lol. Bro I've left the country like 6 times.

I have however never been to Europe|

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Wait, wait, imma blow your mind: part of Ireland is part of the UK.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Ireland

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I work at a hotel in DC.
I might die next week:trumppop:

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

RandomPauI posted:

I checked and it turns out I got one of the details crossed. In mid-December we decided to have a get-together in early January. We settled on January the 8th, 6 pm. I'd assumed Sindhu booked the Irish place then but that was just one of our options. And she wasn't going to book any place until she had a firm idea of who could and couldn't make it*.

On January 3rd she booked the space for 14 adults plus 2 kids at 6 pm. On January 8th the restaurant called to let her know they were closing the kitchen at 7 pm. They forgot to block off the time, and they were sorry, but they were willing to let her move our booking to 5 pm.

welp I mean it's not like it was the only gig in town, and the person organising had a ton of heads up so :shrug:

Also if people don't show up that sucks and everything but that's life. How are you, the customer, to know?

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

Recoome posted:

welp I mean it's not like it was the only gig in town, and the person organising had a ton of heads up so :shrug:

Also if people don't show up that sucks and everything but that's life. How are you, the customer, to know?

If they're told the day of the reservation it's not really any heads up, let alone a ton.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
It's really not that hard.

If you make a reservation for that night, it should be set in stone.

Someone hosed up.

But let it go. I understand it's frustrating. But not everything is perfect in life.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Recoome posted:

That's not how you run a restaurant successfully. If you take a res, you honor the res. Doesn't matter who hosed up; it's the service industry. Someone's paying for service, you give it to them.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

That's not how you run a restaurant successfully. If you take a res, you honor the res. Doesn't matter who hosed up; it's the service industry. Someone's paying for service, you give it to them.

Yeah, 16 people are now pissed, you lost the revenue and their goodwill, maybe they won't flame you on multiple review sites. Versus kitchen stays open 1-2 hrs longer (gently caress it, give a small bonus and employees will be happy, or you can call someone happy to take extra money).

Edit: missed the staff party bit, oops. That makes it rough, but as an owner you gotta own that poo poo somehow.

baquerd fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 14, 2017

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

moonsour posted:

If they're told the day of the reservation it's not really any heads up, let alone a ton.

oh my god I misread it completely. Yeah being called that day loving sucks, wow. For some poo poo reason I thought the person knew on the 3rd.

Hobo Camp
Aug 8, 2006

No problo, Rob Lowe.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Our restaurant closes at 10 and sometimes we have people come in at 9:50 and we are still obligated to serve them the same quality food we serve people who come in at 6:30. Just two nights ago I had my station completely closed at 10:30, lazily filling out the HAACP book, when some guests decided to move from the bar to the restaurant. Because they walked into the restaurant before 10 pm our FOH manager decided they could still order food. We all had to stay behind and cook for them even though our shifts ended at 11 and the hotel is being really strict about overtime.

Mishaps, misunderstandings, and lovely clients do not excuse terrible service.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Hobo Camp posted:

Our restaurant closes at 10 and sometimes we have people come in at 9:50 and we are still obligated to serve them the same quality food we serve people who come in at 6:30. Just two nights ago I had my station completely closed at 10:30, lazily filling out the HAACP book, when some guests decided to move from the bar to the restaurant. Because they walked into the restaurant before 10 pm our FOH manager decided they could still order food. We all had to stay behind and cook for them even though our shifts ended at 11 and the hotel is being really strict about overtime.

Mishaps, misunderstandings, and lovely clients do not excuse terrible service.

Yeah, but also gently caress those customers, that's a lovely thing to do.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Yeah, but also gently caress those customers, that's a lovely thing to do.

yeah basically gently caress them. the place closed 30 minutes ago. you dont get to eat.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Like if you really want to restaurant to close at 10, why not put "last table will be seated at 9:30" on the sign?

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

bongwizzard posted:

Like if you really want to restaurant to close at 10, why not put "last table will be seated at 9:30" on the sign?

I'm not in the industry, but it baffles me that it's not standard practice. Pretty much everywhere here in Korea either has such a sign or will tell you when you come in 'Hey, we finished seating at x time sorry!!"

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
For some reason we have a select group of customers who don't get how reservations work.

On a busy Friday night, they will just call and be like "HEY WE GOT 9 PEOPLE COMING, SAVE US A TABLE", meanwhile the restaurant is already filled.

No. You call hours ahead of time so we can have the tables ready for you!

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Errant Gin Monks posted:

yeah basically gently caress them. the place closed 30 minutes ago. you dont get to eat.

Exactly. Kitchen closes at 10 unless people are actively ordering still. If they were in before 10 it would have been wise to just tell them "bar is open til X time, but the kitchen is closing at 10 - if you want to order food, do it by then."

Personally, I try not to walk into a restaurant within an hour of closing unless I'm just going for a drink. I'm also lucky that there are a plethora of options near me, including some good 24 hour ones so it's not a big deal.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

Exactly. Kitchen closes at 10 unless people are actively ordering still. If they were in before 10 it would have been wise to just tell them "bar is open til X time, but the kitchen is closing at 10 - if you want to order food, do it by then."

Personally, I try not to walk into a restaurant within an hour of closing unless I'm just going for a drink. I'm also lucky that there are a plethora of options near me, including some good 24 hour ones so it's not a big deal.

Hotels don't work the same as a free standing restaurant. When someone's paying $2-300 per room night, and they want food 5 after close, you do it, no questions asked.

e: this is why I schedule my closers to leave 30 mins after close, because there's always one rear end in a top hat.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Last weekend, NC had some snow so most places closed early. My wife and I were in the process of moving that weekend, so we didn't have time nor capacity to cook, and we called restaurant after restaurant to see if they were open. There was one place that we could get to about an hour before it closed, so we made our way there. It was completely empty, and when the host/bartender walked back to the kitchen to tell them that they had two people in to eat, I heard a disgruntled voice say "Are you serious?". We gave them a break and ended up going to Waffle House instead, which was predictably terrible. We will be back to try that place out, but if you're telling people who call that you're open and serving food until X time, don't be upset when they actually come to eat. At least the host was apologetic about it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The Midniter posted:

Last weekend, NC had some snow so most places closed early. My wife and I were in the process of moving that weekend, so we didn't have time nor capacity to cook, and we called restaurant after restaurant to see if they were open. There was one place that we could get to about an hour before it closed, so we made our way there. It was completely empty, and when the host/bartender walked back to the kitchen to tell them that they had two people in to eat, I heard a disgruntled voice say "Are you serious?". We gave them a break and ended up going to Waffle House instead, which was predictably terrible. We will be back to try that place out, but if you're telling people who call that you're open and serving food until X time, don't be upset when they actually come to eat. At least the host was apologetic about it.

If Waffle House is terrible, your expectations are too high.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Seriously. How can you possibly hate Waffle House?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Doom Rooster posted:

Seriously. How can you possibly hate Waffle House?

Aren't you the idiot that wants to open a restaurant in Austin? Also, Waffle House is bad.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Yes, and no, respectively.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Doom Rooster posted:

Yes, and no, respectively.

Open a bar that serves food, and Waffle House is bad. Sorry if that ruffles your feathers, but it's the truth. Don't waste your money on opening a restaurant.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I'll cop to opening a restaurant being a terrible ideam but I love Waffle House for all of the reason Sean Brock does. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX_kbIVxl_o

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Waffle house is good in the sense that it delivers what is promised at reasonable price point, whatever your drunk rear end is hungry.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, you only go to the Waffle House late night after you've been boozing all night.

Please do not Waffle House shame.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Yeah, you only go to the Waffle House late night after you've been boozing all night.

waffle house is also good hung over :goonsay:

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Doom Rooster posted:

I'll cop to opening a restaurant being a terrible ideam but I love Waffle House for all of the reason Sean Brock does. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX_kbIVxl_o

Lost me at Heinz 57. gently caress that garbage sauce.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

:The Restaurant Industry Thread

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Naelyan posted:

Lost me at Heinz 57. gently caress that garbage sauce.

It's like a thick Worcestershire, I will fight you.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
anyone who dislikes waffle house is basically saying "I dislike eggs, bacon, butter, potatoes, and waffles"

so yeah, you can say you dislike eggs, bacon, butter, potatoes, and waffles - but I'm going to think you're a loving idiot and call you out on it.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Denny's purports to serve all those things and they loving suck and if you think otherwise you may as well eat all of your meals out of a dumpster or your own rear end

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
We don't even have either in my town. :sigh:

EDIT: Really, English IS my first language! REALLY!

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jan 18, 2017

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

JawKnee posted:

Denny's purports to serve all those things and they loving suck and if you think otherwise you may as well eat all of your meals out of a dumpster or your own rear end

denny's serves complicated garbage food like big platters of creatively scrambled eggs with weird combinations of fruit in their waffles and poo poo.

waffle house literally is a short order grill where you say "I want 2 eggs over easy, a waffle, some hashbrowns, shite bacon, and toast", or whatever you want, and they give you that - and you send it back if it's poo poo. it's like eating in your drunk friend's house where you just dictate whatever you want and they greasily make it to the dumb specifications you insist on. you could be like 'slice a tomato, stack some sauteed mushrooms on it, crack an egg on it, griddle it for 3 minutes, then flip it, and smash some toast on top of it' and they'd be like 'ok, that will be $4.50! have a great day!' and you'd pay it and be happy because where the gently caress else are you going to go that will put up that little of a fight on such a stupid breakfast food request?

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jan 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Wafflehouse owns

• Locked thread