Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
The headband! :neckbeard:

That was a very good rendition of Bloodlines! I was very much into all of the previous series, so if Nocturne is just as good as that I'll be happy.

I'm also pretty interested in those two characters lining up with Maria and Richter are. I doubt anyone is going to be as compelling as Isaac, but a woman can dream...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Agent Rush posted:

The headband! :neckbeard:

That was a very good rendition of Bloodlines! I was very much into all of the previous series, so if Nocturne is just as good as that I'll be happy.

I'm also pretty interested in those two characters lining up with Maria and Richter are. I doubt anyone is going to be as compelling as Isaac, but a woman can dream...

The cool looking lady with the knives is actually Annette, Richter's girlfriend in the game. In the game she is just kidnap fodder while they appear to be giving her an active role here.
Same for the other mage lady who is supposed to be Tera, one of the other kidnap victims.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
Me when that guitar rift hit.

:slick:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

ImpAtom posted:

Isaac is like the best character in the netflix show, WTF?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pmLxGv2xMY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KLOM8-4brQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyyoUCm4mu4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LRSlYJuByQ

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
Isaac's arc gets even better on a rewatch 'cause you can spot the callbacks later, like the would-be slavers in the desert telling him "you don't deserve my best" before they get murked. I'm not religious myself, but I also enjoy the interpretation of him being visited and subtly guided by several avatars of God throughout the show, most obviously the Captain.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Isaac's arc is so loving good. When he offers Hector citrus water like the Captain did to him? Awesome stuff

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

ImpAtom posted:

The problem is that, like always, Kickstarter stretch goals are an albatross around the neck of any developer.

It's worth pointing out that Hollow Knight still isn't finished all of its stretch goals! It took Shovel Knight 5 years though they went a little batshit with it. MN9 never actually finished everything it promised to nobody's surprise

Ah, the heady early days of Kickstarter when crowdfunding was fresh, people hadn't been burned by failures, and developers, blinded by the easy money, fell into the insidious trap of stretch goals. And no one involved seemed to know how expensive game development was.

Like, oh wow you'll give me $50k more if I promise to release the game on four more platforms? Another $50k for adding multiplayer to this single-player game? How about a prequel game? A challenge mode with online leaderboards? Cha-ching! Oh wait, you mean that the cost of each goal won't even pay for a year of labor from one competent programmer? Uh oh...

Like I don't think more money would have made Mighty Number 9 good, it was always a shameless cash-grabbing nostalgia-baiting proof that Inafune was never part of why Mega Man was good. But for how big of a project it was people are lucky they got what they got at all for the amount of money it asked for since it was a release platform and stretch goal and physical merchandise hell... let alone the fact that the base game probably needed a bigger budget than the campaign brought in all told to have a hope at being any good to begin with.

It's utterly mad that anyone thought they were doing it on the original $900k goal, and I'm honestly surprise it came out at all with as much complete as it did. Too bad about the people who bought in for the Vita or 3DS though.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Sep 9, 2023

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Richter's lines has some strong Team Four Star energy, are we sure this isn't a parody?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Freakazoid_ posted:

Richter's lines has some strong Team Four Star energy, are we sure this isn't a parody?

Yeah, because Rondo of Blood was so full of gravitas and quiet dignity before this bastardized it, right?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Wish the show had that tone tbh

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Asterite34 posted:

Yeah, because Rondo of Blood was so full of gravitas and quiet dignity before this bastardized it, right?

I would take this tone over Richter going 'who's loving next', honestly.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm only going to watch it in the original French

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Pureauthor posted:

I would take this tone over Richter going 'who's loving next', honestly.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I have to imagine it's intentional in Rondo that Maria basically doesn't belong in the setting, and that Dracula X chronicles making her cohesive with the castlevania aestheric was missing the point

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Asterite34 posted:

It's true, a jokey one-off illustration from the strategy guide is 100% representative of the entire tone of the game.

At least pick the original Maria mode cutscenes/ending or something, sheesh.
And "Maria and her rowdy gang of magic animals fight Dracula" is still a fun alternate take to dropping "gently caress" every other line.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I've been wanting to replay Symphony of the Night, but I've never played the PSP version before. Is it on-par with the PS1 version? Does it specifically do anything better/worse?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It’s a good version but the voices are wrong

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's basically the same, the mainest difference is the localisation, they retranslated and redubbed the game less campy but also let you switch to the original Japanese voice acting, which meant I didn't care about that. Other than that I think they added a couple of extra scenes between Alucard and Maria?

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I think they moved a bunch of items around for some reason in that version too. Like the leap stone is replaced with something normal like a weapon or jewel. And a bunch of random ones are moved.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

They added the two extra familiars that were either added for the Saturn version or in the JP version, don't remember which, and that means a couple minor items need to be gotten from a drop since they're replaced by the familiar cards, the holy sword in the coliseum was one, can't remember the other. You also get a fight against Maria when getting the holy glasses with a bit of extra dialog to match, and also the ability to play as her in NG+. Though she was in the Saturn version both as a fight and a playable character, the PSP version of Maria plays and fights differently.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Blue Labrador posted:

I've been wanting to replay Symphony of the Night, but I've never played the PSP version before. Is it on-par with the PS1 version? Does it specifically do anything better/worse?

Heh I started playing it when I felt like replaying but decided to just say gently caress it and set up Duckstation (PSX emulator) and played the OG PS1 version on my PC.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Blue Labrador posted:

From what I remember of the MLiG video the PSP version (on an actual PSP) has emulation issues and scroll shimmer. I can't recall if the Requiem collection has the same problem or not.

For all practical purposes the community treats the PSX version of SotN as the "definitive" one.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Requiem is essentially the same as PSP, they just uprezzed the few 3D bits (most notable is the save rooms) and somehow added a tiny bug where the rooms on your map may not instantly update on occasion (you'll get a blank box you were clearly in but will fill in a few rooms later, it's weird).

The dub is still the biggest difference from the original.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Most people will mention the redub on psp. Which yeah is nostalgia driven, but they've also become iconic even though they're cheesy.

But however you feel about that they also rewrote the game's audio engine. Something not as mentioned when it comes up, but all of the sounds are slightly off.

Here is a 23 minute, very technical video on it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6iVyFeocFw
(Def super interesting if you like programming and diving into a game's memory)

15m30s has an example. But the tldr is they messed up pitch frequencies on most sounds and the way some effects applied to sounds work thus changing certain sounds even more.

And yeah you can say "you're just nostalgic for the original" and yes. You can play it just fine if you dont know better. However the devs intended the sounds to sound this way, while the psp is just "oops everything is slightly off".

E: 8m43s has better comparisons

itskage fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 13, 2023

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

oh i think a fire demon in the upside down lab had it's death animation basically removed, too. i think that area chugs in the original considering the enemies so maybe the psp had trouble with the animation on top of everything else?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Freakazoid_ posted:

Have you seen the original Castlevania show? It was not exactly loyal to Castlevania 3.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Blue Labrador posted:

The PSP version has the fairy's song.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Phantasium posted:

i think that area chugs in the original considering the enemies so maybe the psp had trouble with the animation on top of everything else?
It's perhaps worth mentioning that you could (can?) purchase the PSX version of SotN on PSP too, which makes the changes for the DXC release even more weird.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
I kinda prefer the re-dubbed bad ending, weirdly enough.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
https://mynintendonews.com/2023/09/18/known-leaker-teasing-new-castlevania-at-xbox-tokyo-game-show-event/

Supposed leak of a new Castlevania game to be revealed at TGS - Xbox Event on Thursday.

Temper your expectations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Castlevania 99, let's go!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I’d be happy with a Rondo/SOTN port to Switch and/or Steam. I don’t know why Sony has a blood pact with Konami on those drat games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

I’d be happy with a Rondo/SOTN port to Switch and/or Steam. I don’t know why Sony has a blood pact with Konami on those drat games.

Because the most up-to-date version is literally running in Sony's PSP emulator.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Diabetic posted:

https://mynintendonews.com/2023/09/18/known-leaker-teasing-new-castlevania-at-xbox-tokyo-game-show-event/

Supposed leak of a new Castlevania game to be revealed at TGS - Xbox Event on Thursday.

Temper your expectations.

I'm pretty skeptical of this since (a) the TGS Xbox events aren't known for new game announcements, and (b) the leaker in question, while credible, seems like someone who would know how to spell "Belmont" correctly ("Bellmont" is a place name and could be a code name for something that isn't Castlevania-related). but we'll see later this week, I guess

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I mean ok, sure. They made the Game Boy Advance games on Steam, but I guess porting something from Sony is more :effort: then they care to do? It’s just frustrating.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I have no hope for a new Castlevania game, and I don't even just mean that I don't think it will happen, I mean even if it does happen it won't be good.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Metal Gear Survive, Bomberman R, Probably Neo-New Silent Hill re-remakes. They're all bad. But this time for sure, Castlevania will be the time Konami does it.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I really wish Konami hadn't decided one day it just despised video games and the people who make them. If I hear right, it came around at about the time the President's son took over the business.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Cartoon Man posted:

I mean ok, sure. They made the Game Boy Advance games on Steam, but I guess porting something from Sony is more :effort: then they care to do? It’s just frustrating.

As is, I would not be suprised if there were some legal red tape with porting a proprietary Sony emulator to other platforms and I would not have expected Konami to shell out enough money to fund a non-proprietary porting/emulation job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Can’t they just use the PS1 and PCECD versions? Is there a dub licensing issue or something