Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

quote:

This story has been so widely repeated as to become a cliche. It’s also inaccurate. Contrary to popular belief, entrepreneurs typically make terrible innovators. Left to its own devices, the private sector is far more likely to impede technological progress than to advance it. That’s because real innovation is very expensive to produce: it involves pouring extravagant sums of money into research projects that may fail, or at the very least may never yield a commercially viable product. In other words, it requires a lot of risk – something that, myth-making aside, capitalist firms have little appetite for.

Capitalist firms have plenty of appetite for risk as long as there are mechanisms in place to make sure the returns will be worth it. As evidence, look at pharmaceutical industry. Most drugs take years, if not decades, to research and be released to market. But once they are, profits are basically guaranteed thanks to the patent system and the current state of the market (i.e. lack of single payer healthcare).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

enraged_camel posted:

Capitalist firms have plenty of appetite for risk as long as there are mechanisms in place to make sure the returns will be worth it. As evidence, look at pharmaceutical industry. Most drugs take years, if not decades, to research and be released to market. But once they are, profits are basically guaranteed thanks to the patent system and the current state of the market (i.e. lack of single payer healthcare).

Patent system?

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

enraged_camel posted:

But if the returns are guaranteed, that's not really risk. And in the pharmaceutical example, they know that even a number of failed drugs is more than made up for by the huge profits from even one success

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Turns out it's pretty easy to offset risk with a product people literally need to live.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Shooting Blanks posted:

Strongest and most productive specifically WRT probability theory, or in general? I'd love to hear more about that if you can elaborate.

WRT probability theory -- I don't think anything analogous exists for, say, algebraic geometry. That being said, as far as I can tell the majority of researchers there are not working on problems directly applicable to Microsoft's business (which is a bit different than the state of affairs for, say, ML researchers these days). Feel free to PM me, I'd be glad to provide more details.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

The pharmaceutical industry receives tons of government regulation/interference to invest in more risky endeavors. The FDA's orphan drug designation, used to encourage development of drugs for more rare diseases, comes to mind.

quote:

Orphan designation qualifies the sponsor of the drug for various development incentives of the ODA, including tax credits for qualified clinical testing
https://www.fda.gov/forindustry/developingproductsforrarediseasesconditions/howtoapplyfororphanproductdesignation/default.htm

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

A Man With A Plan posted:

But if the returns are guaranteed, that's not really risk. And in the pharmaceutical example, they know that even a number of failed drugs is more than made up for by the huge profits from even one success

The returns are guaranteed if the drug is successful. I don't know the numbers but I assume the vast majority of drugs fail during R&D.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

The returns are guaranteed if the drug is successful. I don't know the numbers but I assume the vast majority of drugs fail during R&D.

The statistics are divided up into phases. Less than 25% of novel drugs are successful in late-stage trials, which is where the majority of R&D funds are spent.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

The returns are guaranteed if the drug is successful.

:aaaaa:

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

WrenP-Complete posted:

The statistics are divided up into phases. Less than 25% of novel drugs are successful in late-stage trials, which is where the majority of R&D funds are spent.

25% seems high for the entire clinical trials period, but probably ok for phase 3. Pharma company have a tendency to attempt same targets as their competitors, which will make all fail if the actual target is wrong. See Mercks, Eli Lilly's attempts on Alzheimer drugs.
The failure rate in preclinical trials is probably something like 99% of all attempts.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

dex_sda posted:

Rich people having to taste poverty after being scammed out of their money and left behind on an island? Tbh that sounds like it loving ruled. Good work Fyre Festival.

That sounds like a good premise for a cheesy horror movie, but you'd have to add a murderer.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

enraged_camel posted:

Or if it's the banking sector you can always rely on the government to bail you out because the alternative is shooting the economy in the head. So you get all kinds of cool innovations like subprime mortgages!

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

BarbarianElephant posted:

That sounds like a good premise for a cheesy horror movie, but you'd have to add a murderer.

Obviously the organizer of the festival and his small cadre of ultra elites who want to experience the ultimate thrill festival.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

PJOmega posted:

Obviously the organizer of the festival and his small cadre of ultra elites who want to experience the ultimate thrill festival.

Kinda like anti-Predators: only willing to hunt the easiest prey.

The thing writes itself!

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
The Least Dangerous Game.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Feinne posted:

The Least Dangerous Game.

The Classiest, Most Luxurious Game.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Young rich people being obsessed with working out while not having to do actual physical work means that their meat has an exquisite "marble" structure with a perfect balance of fatty and lean parts. :eng101:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Randler posted:

Young rich people being obsessed with working out while not having to do actual physical work means that their meat has an exquisite "marble" structure with a perfect balance of fatty and lean parts. :eng101:

Somehow you're the last person I would have predicted advocating for "eat the rich".

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Somehow you're the last person I would have predicted advocating for "eat the rich".
Well to be fair, only other rich people would be able to afford that kind of nicely marbled meat.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

https://slatestarcodex.com/2017/05/11/silicon-valley-a-reality-check/

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Lyft and Waymo reach "Uber? Yeah, gently caress those guys" deal on self-driving cars

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

I'd be worried about this guy cracking some vertebrae for patting his back so fervently.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

PJOmega posted:

I'd be worried about this guy cracking some vertebrae for patting his back so fervently.

At least this time the comments aren't full of scientific racism race realism human bio-diversity, until his commenters come up with a new euphemism.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

PJOmega posted:

He's just (rightfully) pointing out that Silicon Valley is more than about Juiceros :shrug:

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

PJOmega posted:

Not All Startups

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Randler posted:

Just grind and liquefy them up into some sort of slurry, im not that picky

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Sucks to be Uber.

quote:

DETROIT (AP) — A federal judge has ordered Uber to stop using technology that a key executive downloaded before he left Waymo, the autonomous car company that was spun off from Google.

The order filed Monday in a trade secrets theft lawsuit also forces Uber to return all downloaded materials by noon on May 31.

Judge William Alsup in San Francisco says in the ruling that Waymo has shown “compelling evidence” that a former star engineer named Anthony Levandowski downloaded confidential files before leaving Waymo. The Judge also says evidence shows that before he left Waymo, Levandowski and Uber planned for Uber to acquire a company formed by Levandowski.

Waymo sued Uber in February alleging that the ride-hailing company is using stolen self-driving technology to build its own fleet of autonomous cars. The ruling prevents Uber from using the technology on a navigational tool called Lidar that robotic cars use to see what’s around them.

The decision was only a partial victory for Waymo, however. The company had sought to shut down Uber’s autonomous car program completely until the dispute is settled. But Alsup determined that Waymo’s patent infringement theories were too weak to support such an order. The judge ruled that although it’s hard to imagine that Levandowski “plundered Waymo’s vault the way he did” with no intent to use the material, Waymo still fell short of showing that the trade secrets were used.
How the hell you return downloaded materials I do not know.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Sucks to be Uber.

Obviously you format all computers and lobotomize all employees who looked at them, only way to be sure.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Sucks to be Uber.

This is what "reply all" is for, right? Just send em ALL back!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Pulverize the hard drives, give them back in a tasteful urn.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Sucks to be Uber.

Uber is in deep poo poo. They're big enough that they'll survive, but between this lawsuit and the criminal investigation over Greyball they're going to have a bad year or two. Or more.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Sucks to be Uber.

Oh poo poo. If Google/Waymo just got a prelim injunction against Uber that's pretty much :rip:

Good riddance.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Sucks to be Uber.

Make copies on removable media and give those to Google. The metadata on those could be very interesting. Or not. It may also cover any print outs made of the files. If the judges order just said delete everything, I can imagine Uber firing up hundreds of printers and going to town.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The infernal contracts I signed compel me to work for the best of the corporations that engage the services of my firm. The shareholders are not covered by this agreement and are therefore ripe for the larder. :kheldragar:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Eat poo poo, uber.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Pick posted:

Eat poo poo, uber.

Shitro, a new startup providing you with only the most quality shits to get squeezed out of a paper bag.

What do you mean you could squeeze it yourself? Fuuuuuuuu.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Thomamelas posted:

Make copies on removable media and give those to Google. The metadata on those could be very interesting. Or not. It may also cover any print outs made of the files. If the judges order just said delete everything, I can imagine Uber firing up hundreds of printers and going to town.

It doesn't even really have to specify what form the stolen documents are in (and probably doesn't), trying to 'but your honor you just said to get rid of the files we stole you didn't say we couldn't make a paper copy of the contents of those files and therefore keep the proceeds of our industrial espionage!" is a great way to get found in contempt.

It's that whole 'reasonable man' test issue, which is a big problem for Uber because they're too disruptive to employ anyone reasonable.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Feinne posted:

It doesn't even really have to specify what form the stolen documents are in (and probably doesn't), trying to 'but your honor you just said to get rid of the files we stole you didn't say we couldn't make a paper copy of the contents of those files and therefore keep the proceeds of our industrial espionage!" is a great way to get found in contempt.

It's that whole 'reasonable man' test issue, which is a big problem for Uber because they're too disruptive to employ anyone reasonable.

An ordinarily prudent person of average skill and judgment would recognize that the civil justice system needs to be disrupted. That's why I'm inviting you to invest in my new app, TortFeasr! It polls a carefully selected set of users on their thoughts and beliefs about what they would do in a given situation which matches your pre-entered fact pattern. Then, the algorithm goes to work! Finally, a report is generated which creates a composite standard guaranteed* to convince the judge or jury that your position is correct! TortFeasr: Because torts should be feasible!

*All guarantees are disclaimed, express or implied. By reading this comment you hereby agree to release TortFeasr, its owners, employees, successors or assigns from any liability related to misuse or ordinary use of the app. TortFeasr is a trademark and unsanctioned use will be vigorously prosecuted to the full extent of the law. The terms of this post are to be interpreted under Delaware law. TortFeasr is not affiliated with TortFeastr, George R.R. Martin, or Lemonpies LLC. If any sentence of this post is deemed to be void by a court of competent jurisdiction, the other sentences are fully severable. TortFeasr is not a licensed attorney and cannot legally notarize documents. All advice is for entertainment purposes only.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

axeil posted:

Oh poo poo. If Google/Waymo just got a prelim injunction against Uber that's pretty much :rip:

Good riddance.

Nah, it's just an injunction to not use the technology Levandowski gave them. Their self-driving car program can still operate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

enraged_camel posted:

Nah, it's just an injunction to not use the technology Levandowski gave them. Their self-driving car program can still operate.

Wasn't the stolen tech kind of the keystone of the whole thing?