Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Yeah, although I don't think losing a single free solo is going to be too huge for GD.

I tell you what, though. Putting Lucant together sucks. What the gently caress, PP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Lucant building is a test of insanity.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Putting anything PP together sucks after experiencing star wars legion :(

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Too bad it's going to be another boring Star Wars game that won't have any real list building for at least 3 waves of releases, followed by one or two builds completely over shadowing the rest of the game which change every time a new release hits, just like all of their other minis style games :( And I say that as someone who wants the game to succeed. I don't trust FFG with miniatures.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

S.J. posted:

Too bad it's going to be another boring Star Wars game that won't have any real list building for at least 3 waves of releases, followed by one or two builds completely over shadowing the rest of the game which change every time a new release hits, just like all of their other minis style games :( And I say that as someone who wants the game to succeed. I don't trust FFG with miniatures.

This. X-wing was so good at first and then once their business model became apparent I began to hate it.

The whole point is to have OP things so you keep buying.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Uh warmachine does the exact same thing but the models are more expensive

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Warmachine at least hasn't sunk to the depths of buying a thing (possibly not even from your own faction) but never using it because you only care about the new OP card it came with.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jimmy Hats posted:

Warmachine is very much not a "new release are strictly better" game. Just look at the huge wave a new Ret stuff, and see how much shows up in competitive lists. It's five things max (Elara2, Vyre Lights, Spears, & Arcanists) and one of those is still on the outside looking in. Sound like a lot, but I think there were six or seven other releases in that wave for them. Most of the last release waves have not been top of the game or anything of the like. I know for my latest competitive paring in minions, the only new items I include are a soul slave and a bone shrine. This is just the stuff that I have easy first hand knowledge of, but my understanding is it's also true across other factions. People are biased to want new stuff out of novelty, not power.

There's lots to be annoyed with PP about, (the move to freeze out shops from easy access to a huge swath of their lines is the latest thing) but there's no real issues from a gameplay perspective with WMH that I can see. Themes are a little contentious, but it's really the only way to have a wider line without breaking the game.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Jimmy Hats posted:

Yes and no. Like Darnon said, Skorne player I am not buying a Menoth model just so that I can use an official card to make a unit of mine better.

Worse, the best cards for a while were gated behind X-wing's versions of collosals, so you'd buy a $90 model you would never actually play in any game or tournament (because you literally couldn't in a standard 100 pt tournament), just so you could get a C-3p0 card.

When I got out I was playing empire, but you needed to buy scum and rebel ships to get the cards you'd need to be competitive.

Or you could scour ebay to buy individual cards, but that's hit or miss.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Every upgrade card in legion is available inside your faction though. Its not x-wing.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Jimmy Hats posted:

Every upgrade card in legion is available inside your faction though. Its not x-wing.

So far they're all available in normal releases, yeah. If that holds up, great, but we'll see.

BlackHattingMachine
Mar 24, 2006
Choking, quick with the Heimlich!
Is there any reason not to purchase a MkII battle box? If I'm using War Room for my cards I can just ignore the included cards right? The models are still valid aren't they?

Sorry if this a dumb question!

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

BlackHattingMachine posted:

Is there any reason not to purchase a MkII battle box? If I'm using War Room for my cards I can just ignore the included cards right? The models are still valid aren't they?

Sorry if this a dumb question!

No real reason other than personal preference. Some mk2 battleboxes are better than others simply based on the models that come in them.

The mk3 battle boxes do have things like dice and stuff in them, so if you are completely new to gaming in general, you can save a few bucks.

BlackHattingMachine
Mar 24, 2006
Choking, quick with the Heimlich!
Nice. The Trollbloods MKII box is 50% off MKIII at PP. I've already got tons of dice and such.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Mother loving Privateer Press got the price point just right for the chariots so now I own two.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
That price is decidedly not completely loving insane but i'mma still get shafted by the currency exchange if I try to buy one

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'm finally getting around to assembling some more Northkin models, and goddamn are they some high quality sculpts. Kolgrimma's owl was the only piece that gave me trouble (admittedly a lot- nasty mold line on the feathers and some big resin gates). The battle bears unit in particular was really good.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Kingdom-con releases were added to WarRoom and I am all in on Sorscha 3.

War Room Army

Khador - Sorscha 3

Theme: Jaws of the Wolf
2 / 2 Free Cards 75 / 75 Army

Kommandant Sorscha Kratikoff - WJ: +28
- War Dog - PC: 3
- Spriggan - PC: 12 (Battlegroup Points Used: 19)
- Beast 09 - PC: 18 (Battlegroup Points Used: 9)

Greylord Forge Seer - PC: 0
- Behemoth - PC: 25
Greylord Forge Seer - PC: 0

Battle Mechaniks - Leader & 3 Grunts: 3
- Battle Mechanik Officer - PC: 3
Kayazy Eliminators - Leader & Grunt: 5
Kayazy Eliminators - Leader & Grunt: 5
Widowmaker Scouts - Leader & 3 Grunts: 8
Press Gangers - Lass & 9 Grunts: 12
- Koldun Kapitan Valachev - PC: 4

THEME: Jaws of the Wolf
---

GENERATED : 04/19/2018 12:56:40
BUILD ID : 2061.18-02-21

Looks fun and counter charging Behemoth seems real good.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
I'll be honest about the ret releases, those new vyre lights almost make me want to play whatshis elf with synergy.

Picked up all my new Cryx stuff today, Severa came with 2 right hands.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
From the giant ridiculous HHH to the smallest solo I own, :hellyeah:

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
That glow effect owns. Great job!

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Fyrbrand posted:

From the giant ridiculous HHH to the smallest solo I own, :hellyeah:

This looks great. How did you accomplish the glow?

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Maneck posted:

This looks great. How did you accomplish the glow?

Thanks dudes. The glow effect is shockingly easy thanks to dope P3 paints. Put down a layer of Arcane Blue, then slowly add layers of Arcane Blue with Menoth White Highlight mixed in. As the paint gets lighter, paint smaller lines where you want it to be brighter (basically the middle of the glow effect). I'll usually end with a highlight of MWH with just a dot of Arcane Blue mixed in. I then drybrush unmixed Arcane Blue wherever I want glow to be. After the drybrush, I go back and touch up the brighter glowing bits that may have been dulled down in the drybrush. I could probably do that step earlier, tbh, but doing it this way helps me visualize where I want the glow effect.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

I miss the start of Mk3 where everything was the wild wild west and there were like 20 posts a day with batshit crazy ideas.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I miss being able to bring magic weapons in khador without a severe penalty... alas...

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
I got into this a while ago but haven't really wanted to start getting more stuff until now; for the Theme force of The Irregulars, you get extra stuff based on the numbers you have in Warjacks, does this include the points invested from the warcaster's bonus points?

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Banana Man posted:

I got into this a while ago but haven't really wanted to start getting more stuff until now; for the Theme force of The Irregulars, you get extra stuff based on the numbers you have in Warjacks, does this include the points invested from the warcaster's bonus points?

Yes. (You can test this on Conflict Chamber like I just did when I brainfarted on it.)

And for what it's worth, it's jacks and units, meaning it's really easy to build to theme and get free stuff.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit

Fyrbrand posted:

Yes. (You can test this on Conflict Chamber like I just did when I brainfarted on it.)

And for what it's worth, it's jacks and units, meaning it's really easy to build to theme and get free stuff.

Ah ok that's awesome.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
I would just like to say that pulling Una2 in a tournament when you drop Doomshaper2 is an extremely satisfying feeling. A single Agitation cast dropped down like 9 or 10 fury. Taught him to not read my spell list!

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
My una2 list is the only respectable una2 list

War Room Army

Circle Orboros - Thunderbird Turbodriver

Theme: Secret Masters
3 / 3 Free Cards 75 / 75 Army

Una the Skyhunter - WB: +29
- Druid Wilder - PC: 0
- Storm Raptor - PC: 38 (Battlegroup Points Used: 29)

Celestial Fulcrum - PC: 19

Gallows Grove - PC: 2
Blackclad Wayfarer - PC: 0

Druid Mist Riders - Leader & 4 Grunts: 20
Shifting Stones - Leader & 2 Grunts: 3
- Stone Keeper - PC: 2

THEME: Secret Masters
---

GENERATED : 04/24/2018 12:56:12

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
Ah yes the "I really wish I'd bought Cygnar" list.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I made this list AFTER they confirmed the changes to eleaps... I'm a rebel.

I'm also certain ill go at least 2-2 with it next event

Ysera
Feb 19, 2012

Playing and painting poorly.
Played in a local event for the first time in ~9 months. I've been running the events for my local group since our Pressganger became disenchanted with the game. Played Circle, Took Kaya3 in Call of the Wild and Krueger2 Bones of Orboros. Played Kaya3 all 3 rounds (because wolves are the reason I play Circle not wolds). Went 1-2 which might say that my plan to only play wolves is a bad idea. Though the 2 games I lost were really close, and with more practice, i think I could have won them. I guess I should play in tourneys more than once a year or so, but it's hard to find time with a baby. Been getting in 1 or so practice games a week though! My local group has been very accommodating with scheduling games at my house, rather than at a local shop.

Round 1 I played Morgul2 and put my warlock behind a cloud and forest and pretty far away from his army. I'd killed most of his major threats to me and was in a pretty safe position. But I was within 13" of Morgul and he charged another model and got me in his melee range. It was purely a matter of me being 1' too close. We kept playing as if I had placed 1" back and I killed him on my turn. Great opponent. We recorded his victory though, obviously.

Round 2 I played vs Kaelyssa with 3 Harpies and 2 AFGs. I jammed him with a Feral and a Scarsfell. He failed to kill the Feral with 2 jacks, and the feral ate the 2 Jacks in response. Game grinded down, and I used primal too many times and frenzied too many beasts. but I was in the game scenario wise for a while, till I ran out of time. Ended the game at my 9pts to his 11pts. Honestly one of my better played games, I think.

Round 3 was against a guy who was at his first tournament. His dice also betrayed him, while mine were a bit on fire. He was also 1 of the people I came to the tournament with. He ended up taking last place, and got a prize to incentivize playing more, which is a great idea i think. Then the first place player gave the last place player his winnings. Which was one of the coolest things I've seen at a tournament. Really great store, and really great players. Bel Air Games in north Maryland, if any of y'all are looking for a sweet shop in the area.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Harpies are gross. Finally played against some the other day and they did really well.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Harpy is pretty close to being the best light in the game. That gun is amazing and it's got pretty darn good POW for melee as well. They're nasty under Helynna with rhythm of war giving them the reposition.

I played the menoth mirror match today for a change of pace. Here's my list...

https://conflictchamber.com/#c2201b_-0c3K3N1X3U7j3Sf73t3z3z3B3B2_9m3O2M2J2J2J

Protectorate Army - 75 / 75 points
[Theme] Guardians of the Temple

(Thyra 1) Thyra, Flame of Sorrow [+29]
- Blood of Martyrs [16]
- Guardian [15]
- Sanctifier [14]
Anastasia di Bray [3]
Nicia, Tear of Vengeance [5]
Pyrrhus, Flameguard Hero [5]
Vassal Mechanik [1]
Vassal of Menoth [0(3)]
Vassal of Menoth [0(3)]
Wrack [1]
Wrack [1]
Choir of Menoth (min) [4]
Dannon Blythe & Bull [5]
- Attendant Priest [3]
Daughters of the Flame [10]
Temple Flameguard (min) [7]

Versus

https://conflictchamber.com/#c2201b_-0OeU1SdY22223qjCjC3r3r3t3B3B30jI2i

Protectorate Army - 75 / 75 points
[Theme] The Faithful Masses

(Durst 1) Anson Durst, Rock of the Faith [+28]
- Castigator [12]
- Indictor [15]
- Reckoner [16]
- Reckoner [16]
- Hierophant [0(3)]
Champion of the Order of the Wall [8]
Champion of the Order of the Wall [8]
Paladin of the Order of the Wall [0(4)]
Paladin of the Order of the Wall [4]
Vassal Mechanik [1]
Wrack [1]
Wrack [1]
Choir of Menoth (max) [6]
Holy Zealots (max) [12]
- Monolith Bearer [3]

I ended up going first thanks to annie (which is why I brought her!)

I won't go into details but highlights include:
-Annie charges a champion in his back arc, and rolls triple 1s and misses. On his turn, he decides to ignore her and charges away. I roll a 20 on my free strike and unhorse him!
-He boosts a shot into a tfg and rolls triple 1s on the damage roll, leaving it alive. This is a horrible thing for me since it would have procced hand of vengeance! Naturally, on my turn, the Sanctifier and BoM (Both of whom had Battle on them and Strength of Death hotswapped) leaves his feat armor'd castigator on 1 box, which is followed up by him using Combustion and killing Nicia and 5 TFG.
-I use gates of death at the end of my turn 2 to teleport thyra about an inch to the left, leaving my guardian out of control range for the following turn. There was no tactical reason to move her, I just wanted to...
-I tough about 70% of my TFG rolls

It was a pretty fun game. Small packs of TFG might just be the way to go, since I was able to spread them out more and form little triangles of annoying blockers.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
Friend just texted me and said he bought me a bunch of Khador some dude was trying to unload. Figured it was $30 for a bunch of stuff and he knows I've been eyeing Khador.

What have I gotten into lol.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

A really loving strong faction, and hopefully, some red spraypaint.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Jimmy Hats posted:

My una2 list is the only respectable una2 list

War Room Army

Circle Orboros - Thunderbird Turbodriver

Theme: Secret Masters
3 / 3 Free Cards 75 / 75 Army

Una the Skyhunter - WB: +29
- Druid Wilder - PC: 0
- Storm Raptor - PC: 38 (Battlegroup Points Used: 29)

Celestial Fulcrum - PC: 19

Gallows Grove - PC: 2

Shifting Stones - Leader & 2 Grunts: 3
- Stone Keeper - PC: 2

THEME: Secret Masters
---

GENERATED : 04/24/2018 12:56:12

Why isn't this called Riders on the Storm :colbert:

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

I played Malekus all weekend at KingdomCon and it was a ton of fun one-rounding the Skorne Battle Engine and an Aradus Sentinel on feat turn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Just got a shipping notice for my Slaughterfleet stuff :toot:

Now I just need to get back to unfucking my Skarre3. And maybe taking a look at my color scheme again...