Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Nihonniboku posted:

I haven't tried, but I feel like that wouldn't work. Sanctuary doesn't make you immune to damage, it just prevents enemies from directly attacking you. It was a problem for me in my first Orin fight, until I figured out that I could target the cultists with Sanctuary with AOE spells still.

Yeah, the hammer is an area effect, not a targeted attack, so you will get splatted if you try this.

The thing to remember about Grym's pathing is that he always moves in a straight line toward the last character that attacks him, so if you do want to get him with the hammer, you'll want to shuffle your turn order such that the last person to attack before his turn is as close to directly opposite him on the circle of the walkway as you can. Maybe cast a difficult terrain spell on the hammer dais to try to make sure he stops there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Everything about Orin’s story is super hosed up. Did you come across the journal in the murder tribunal area that reveals that her grandfather is also her dad :barf:

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

When is the new patch...I wanna play drat it!

Model Camper
Feb 12, 2008

Just 'cause you got a rocking horse don't mean you can rock.
I’m doing a duo Honor run with a Tav and Astarion. I decided to bring a level 1 Shadowheart down into the shadowfell because, you know, story. I had already killed Balthazar so there was no risk down there.

When it came time to make her choice, I left every option up to her, and she chose, uh, poorly.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Docjowles posted:

Everything about Orin’s story is super hosed up. Did you come across the journal in the murder tribunal area that reveals that her grandfather is also her dad :barf:

he will also tell you that rather proudly if you let him talk long enough

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Who else likes taking the "back way" into the creche, heading south off the edge of the cliff and taking the path which dumps you out next to the magic mouth bust, bypassing gremishkas and kobolds and eagles and basically taking you straight to the creche?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Why not take the real back way, the door at the bottom of the cliff that leads straight in to the crèche by the merchant?

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Sounds like a bunch of missed xp to me :colbert: but I’m not here to yuk your yum

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Black Noise posted:

Sounds like a bunch of missed xp to me :colbert: but I’m not here to yuk your yum

it is a bunch of missed xp, and i am here to yuk your yum

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Okay you mess around with grimishka xp while I'm busy killing githyankis and gearing up and then going back for the other xp later

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

those drunk kobolds give like 75 xp each and basically kill themselves!

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Docjowles posted:

Somehow I either missed or mentally skipped over this. Though it makes his line about loving Orin like he loved her mother a lot more, uh, :barf:. Also now that I think about it, killing all of her supporting actors was a bit pointless since she got violently dismantled in one turn by some magic missiles and the whipped cream genocide brouhaha (mashing every Smite on your hotbar) but whatever.

If I'm going to complain about anything in this game, it's that Act Three, at least so far, feels like a line of set pieces more than a cohesive thing. Mostly cool, fun set pieces, but they feel kind of disjointed as a whole, especially when a bug in a companion quest means you basically have to skip the first third of it.

edit: somehow I failed to get a picture of Astarion getting dunked so hard that he half-clipped through some stairs and spent a turn flopping violently around, but I assure you it was very funny to watch.

Solo Wing Pixy fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 13, 2024

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

bird with big dick posted:

Who else likes taking the "back way" into the creche, heading south off the edge of the cliff and taking the path which dumps you out next to the magic mouth bust, bypassing gremishkas and kobolds and eagles and basically taking you straight to the creche?

280+ hours and i only just found out there is a way other than this way

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
demigods are basically purebred dogs, you have to inbreed them as much as possible and as unethically as possible

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Saraiguma posted:

demigods are basically purebred dogs, you have to inbreed them as much as possible and as unethically as possible

But enough about Elden Ring

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Zodium posted:

it drops Experience Points.
And an inspiration point for the Best Girl.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
lmfao my durge character booted a squirrel into a tree and got an inspiration point for it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Its a birthmark, don't be such an rear end in a top hat

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Leal posted:

Its a birthmark, don't be such an rear end in a top hat

Caption should be, "Why yes, I do like Elliot Smith, why do you ask?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I began sneaking my way into the goblin camp being very careful to observe the patrol routes, but then one of my idiot children wandered into plain view and... nothing happened. The goblins and their colleagues don't aggro... yet. So I've been wandering around chatting to a variety of creeps, one of whom has taken possession of the baby owlbear I spared way back when. I'm going to keep poking about since no one seems to mind, but I guess some people just kill their way through the whole place.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Zodium posted:

those drunk kobolds give like 75 xp each and basically kill themselves!

The real reason to go after the kobolds is to collect the ones in the barrels to throw them like pokeballs later

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Floppychop posted:

The real reason to go after the kobolds is to collect the ones in the barrels to throw them like pokeballs later
Pity the kobold that ends up in a barrelmancy stack.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Floppychop posted:

never thought to do this, this is a great idea.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

it's very funny. and those barrels only weigh 10kg.

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

I guess some people just kill their way through the whole place.

There's still time for that!

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
At the rate I keep forgetting they exist, I'm probably going to end up tossing those Pokeballs in the Final Battle.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

BlazetheInferno posted:

At the rate I keep forgetting they exist, I'm probably going to end up tossing those Pokeballs in the Final Battle.

Im proud to admit that I actually remembered to use them on the third time I beat the game and they do help!

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
Continuing our adventures...

Episodeon CXV: The Gang Goes To Hell

crap, I should have brought Minthara along for that fight shouldn't I? also, she's apparently more into Zehra than I thought, though she was very politely shot down. perhaps next run...
on our way to hell, we encounter a creature most uncouth. sadly, shoving her into the water would probably count as murder.
and then we entered the worst hell imaginable. a Wells Fargo branch.

while I could have run around to find the solution to their security system, shooting it full of lightning and water was much quicker.
the bank director (i assume) was very proud of trapping The Stoner Lord in a mimic chest, but, it turns out that a mimic cannot contain a giant shaved bear-man-thing.
he runs off with a fake Jaheira after a moment, with 10,000 dollars in tow, and leaves some boring trash to clean up.

Zehra, you might be a bit addicted to putting your life in danger.

eventually we caught up to Stoner Lord Minsc, Not-Jaheira, and one Roah Mooonglow taking the bag full of stolen money.
i wasn't sure if you had to stop Roah before she escaped, so I had Zehra Misty Step over to her and trap her with the ever-wonderful Ensnaring Strike before the usual smiting and killing.
after that, a few blows to the head got Minsc into a state where we could, you know, disconnect him from The Absolute, but he ran off, punched through a wall, and started skulking around?

oh, apparently he had to track down his...hamster? well okay then. hello boo.
on return to the Thieves Guildhall, it was under siege by a bunch of angry Zhentarim goons. They lasted about two turns, and clearing them up got us the support of the Guild! :toot:

Jaheira demonstrated powerful Mom Energy by managing to admonish and thank us at the same time.
afterwards, a bit of arguing with Minsc, and an opportunity for Zehra to be a smart-rear end, which I will take 100% of the time.

you know, when I said Mom Energy, I didn't mean it quite that literally!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Oh Volo what the gently caress. Did not realize that he was going to do that! Maybe I should just reload. Or chalk it up to experience.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Dick Trauma posted:

Oh Volo what the gently caress. Did not realize that he was going to do that! Maybe I should just reload. Or chalk it up to experience.

He made you better

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Gort posted:

He made you better

He gave you one of the best permanent buffs in the entire game, check the Conditions section of your character sheet.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

oh, apparently he had to track down his...hamster? well okay then. hello boo.

Tav: "It is an honor."
Minsc: :confused: "No... it is a hamster."

One of the funniest lines in the game imho

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

I really need to get a playthrough to the point where I can recruit him. My first run I didn't realize Jaheira couldn't be revivified until after the end of the Act 2 finale and didn't feel like reloading, and my second run was as an evil Durge so...

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Gort posted:

He made you better

After he did it he ran right out of my camp so I assumed the worst. I looked in the magic mirror and that eye's a little wonky now but... my PC is an adventurous bard so it's more likely that they'd trust another bard to try and help them. I'll leave it the way it is.

And as much as I love my bardic cowboy hat that circlet I got from the ogre who died during the robot battle can resolve the nasty -1 I get on Intelligence checks, so I'm going to give it a try. Too bad that you can't transmog clothing.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

Dick Trauma posted:

After he did it he ran right out of my camp so I assumed the worst. I looked in the magic mirror and that eye's a little wonky now but... my PC is an adventurous bard so it's more likely that they'd trust another bard to try and help them. I'll leave it the way it is.

He gave you a permanent, always-on See Invisibility effect.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

on our way to hell, we encounter a creature most uncouth. sadly, shoving her into the water would probably count as murder.

Karlach threw her smug rear end off the bridge and nobody batted an eye lol. Considering how this game treats the most mundane poo poo as capital crimes that was a pleasant surprise.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

That one is on Larian their tattletale AI was slowing down the game so some interactions were just removed

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

That makes sense but I prefer to imagine everyone was just like “thank god someone finally shut her up”.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Minsc punching his way out of the Mimic is legit one of my favorite scenes in the game. The fact that his "there is no gold in here!" afterward just sounds indignant and offended more than anything is just the cherry on top. And if Roah or her replacement if she died previously gets away, she'll be there at the Guildhall battle.

As for Jaheira, she genuinely just responds well to being teased and cajoled. You'll never not gain approval for it, I'm pretty sure. I heard someone else comment that after so long as such a massive celebrity for her past adventures and being treated like a legend, she probably finds it refreshing and delightful to have someone be so irreverent. Plus I'm pretty sure she just enjoys crossing wits with people and engaging in Snark-to-Snark Combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Honestly the harshest thing about minsc is that Jahiera’s VA does such a perfect performance of the same character just a bit older that it’s really hard not to mentally critique every small difference between Mercer’s voice and Jim Cummings’ original.

It’s a great performance but I could never shake the feeling of “oh, it’s my DM doing an incredibly good minsc”. Without Tracey Wiles performance I don’t think I’d have a bad word to say about it.