Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Blind Site, I'm sure you've shared this before but what's your industry? I've known you to be a people manager but I'm wondering the context. Just out of curiosity!

At the moment water treatment but I want a change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Water treatment? Same here! :hfive:

I know you're up in the mountains a sexual elk, but you should also look into if there are any county jobs that wouldn't be too much inconvenience. Pay isn't going to probably be anywhere as good as what you'd get private, but I'm sure the benefits will be great, I assume you'd get a pension, and usually it's a lot more flexible with young kids.

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

Black Sunshine posted:

Since it's poo poo posting time, finally getting married next weekend and holy poo poo is it a real pain in the rear end organizing everything. Even if we had dumb money to throw at a wedding I wouldn't do it because I think it's a ridiculous waste so we're handling a lot of things ourselves but it's still going to cost between 4-5k when all is said and done. The money isn't a big deal compared to all the headaches involved but it just blows my mind that apparently the average wedding cost is around $30,000. I'd rather have a 10 minute ceremony at the Las Vegas drive thru chapel or a courthouse ceremony than blow that much money on a single day.

I just want it to be done so life can resume its normally scheduled programming!

My brother did this exact thing, when they were like halfway through planning they decided 'gently caress this, let's elope' but they fake-eloped, so most of the money just went to a hotel in Vegas for about 10 people for each side of the wedding. They got married by an Elvis impersonator at like 10:30 in the morning, we were back at the hotel pool by noon. It was excellent.

Then a couple months later they had a pig roast in my parents backyard as the 'reception' for everyone who couldn't come to the actual wedding.

Rogue Elephant fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 11, 2024

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Oooh! I tried to get into water treatment out of college but apparently I didn't learn enough from the lab course nor the lectures to actually hold a discussion. It's like all the material was like runoff to my brain lol

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Rogue Elephant posted:

Then a couple months later they had a pig roast in my parents backyard as the 'reception' for everyone who couldn't come to the actual wedding.

You just reminded me of a luau we had in Hawaii. Best pork ever.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Rogue Elephant posted:

My brother did this exact thing, when they were like halfway through planning they decided 'gently caress this, let's elope' but they fake-eloped, so most of the money just went to a hotel in Vegas for about 10 people for each side of the wedding. They got married by and Elvis impersonator at like 10:30 in the morning, we were back at the hotel pool by noon. It was excellent.

My ex said these lesbian friends of hers got married in their backyard one morning, and then donuts and coffee were had afterwards.

And, you know what? They're still together years later, so it worked out pretty great!

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

My brother and his wife had a courthouse wedding and had a small dinner reception for immediate family then went to China for 3 months for their honeymoon.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

My wife and I eloped in Alaska and then had a party a couple months later. Personally, having the marriage and party at separate times helps with the stress since you have a lot less to worry about on each day. The party we rented a building at a first preserve and just brought in our own food and drinks. Fun times had by all.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I know I’ve posted about the misadventures of my MiL before, but let’s just say that the past year and change of quadrupling down on a severe breach-of-trust incident, “reconciling” to the extent that we agreed to move forward and socialize, finding out she was also very much poo poo talking my wife and I and accusing us of “being abusive” and “keeping her granddaughter from her” despite us actively making biweekly plans for them at our home, finding out she’d been running me down to family behind my back for 10+ yrs and me basically telling her to kick loving rocks, her having multiple meltdowns about my wife not involving her in nuclear family stuff > once a week, melting down that I avoid her “like the plague” (no poo poo), and having multiple tense interactions while my brother in law was visiting and melting down anytime she wasn’t the center of attention.

She’s been unstable enough we had our locks rekeyed because she’s been increasingly erratic and acting like we are straight up abusing her by not like literally inviting her to live at our house. It’s insane.

I don’t think she realizes that she’s a dickhair away from my wife going no contact. Ironically she blames me for my wife’s frustration and progressive decrease in contact, when, for years, I had to prod my wife to make plans with her because she’s such a loving pain to be around. Thin skinned. Temperamental. Judgmental. And intensely selfish for everyone’s constant attention.

It’s a common refrain with narcissistic parents (my wife has come to discover) about not rocking the boat. Historically she’s been the balancer and her brother has been the boat rocker. Now roles are reversed and my wife is reacting as anyone would when their reality has been fairly well snapped into a sudden stark relief. All because my wife enforced two boundaries. Almost certainly the first two boundaries with which she’s ever been presented.

I’m not sure how to move forward here. I guess just supporting my wife as hard as possible as MiL continues to implode.

What the gently caress yall this sucks.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Sorry that was quite a rant. I’m just deeply frustrated.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

One of my buddies had a simple 10 minute thing done by one of their friends, then walked inside a reception hall and had a meal, that still probably ran him like $5-10k.

One of my other buddies had to have a wedding in Boston for his family, a wedding in Hong Kong for hers and they themselves wanted to do a thing in Hawaii... they're probably still paying all that off 15 years later.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

LeeMajors posted:

No problem in ranting. I wish I could offer some kind of advice but I've never been married and my momma is the sweetest lady ever. All I can really offer is an ear for ya. I hope that is enough!

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

LeeMajors posted:

Hey, I might have to PM you sometime just to have someone to share stories with that, but what you posted, sounds identical to the situation with my father and I (which would mimic your wife and MiL), and you acting in my wife's role in my relationship.

My dad's a giant narcissistic POS - every so often, he's decent enough that we start to question maybe we're approaching things wrong, but nope, the next interaction, he's an rear end in a top hat again.

You're better than we are though, because we try to minimize involvement with him because he is just a toxic person to be around, and we don't want our kids to be influenced by him.

I appreciated the rant though for obvious reasons!

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

LeeMajors posted:

Is your MiL Donald Trump by any chance?

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

Hey elk, love you bud. I know you're a ways from Inglewood in your regular day-to-day but I think you said you were going to visit Torrance this weekend? If you're interested I have 4 tickets to Bert Kreischer today (Saturday the 11th) at the Forum for you if you want them. Doors are at 7pm, show allegedly starts at 8 (it'll start at 9:15). Ping me with your email somewhere if you're interested.

poo poo that woulda been sweet haha, after last weekends storm we rescheduled the kids BD party to today so I’ll be up the mountain. Really appreciate it tho bud

And thanks for a good night of BSin night crew, my dumbass forgot to eat before I started drinking haha

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Hope your kid has a better birthday party this time around! Weather should be good today. Hope your buns stayed good, lol..

I'm celebrating my brother's bday tonight with kbbq and games of Magic. Gonna be a chill time

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

LeeMajors posted:

I know I’ve posted about the misadventures of my MiL before, but let’s just say that the past year and change of quadrupling down on a severe breach-of-trust incident, “reconciling” to the extent that we agreed to move forward and socialize, finding out she was also very much poo poo talking my wife and I and accusing us of “being abusive” and “keeping her granddaughter from her” despite us actively making biweekly plans for them at our home, finding out she’d been running me down to family behind my back for 10+ yrs and me basically telling her to kick loving rocks, her having multiple meltdowns about my wife not involving her in nuclear family stuff > once a week, melting down that I avoid her “like the plague” (no poo poo), and having multiple tense interactions while my brother in law was visiting and melting down anytime she wasn’t the center of attention.

She’s been unstable enough we had our locks rekeyed because she’s been increasingly erratic and acting like we are straight up abusing her by not like literally inviting her to live at our house. It’s insane.

I don’t think she realizes that she’s a dickhair away from my wife going no contact. Ironically she blames me for my wife’s frustration and progressive decrease in contact, when, for years, I had to prod my wife to make plans with her because she’s such a loving pain to be around. Thin skinned. Temperamental. Judgmental. And intensely selfish for everyone’s constant attention.

It’s a common refrain with narcissistic parents (my wife has come to discover) about not rocking the boat. Historically she’s been the balancer and her brother has been the boat rocker. Now roles are reversed and my wife is reacting as anyone would when their reality has been fairly well snapped into a sudden stark relief. All because my wife enforced two boundaries. Almost certainly the first two boundaries with which she’s ever been presented.

I’m not sure how to move forward here. I guess just supporting my wife as hard as possible as MiL continues to implode.

What the gently caress yall this sucks.

Dude, that sucks and I’m sorry for all of that. Rant away, get it out of your system, and keep supporting your wife.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I hope that is enough!

Of course! I hate to poo poo up the thread but a) this is a supportive group and b) sometimes it’s cathartic just to get it out there to an unbiased 3rd party.

Canned Sunshine posted:

I appreciated the rant though for obvious reasons!

Commiseration is good for the soul. I’d like to think this can get better (for my wife and daughter’s sake) but honestly she is not receptive to any discussion or accepting any responsibility for anything ever. It’s wild as hell.

wandler20 posted:

Is your MiL Donald Trump by any chance?

Buddy,

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Speaking of insane weddings, the real reason I'm in SoCal is that my cousin is getting married in Disneyland. She's been Disney obsessed since... ever, so this is unsurprising. But how they're funding it I'm unsure of. I know her husband to be seems to make bank (esp considering the house they bought). But hey! Free Disneyland wedding for the family! (Its very much not free)

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Silly Burrito posted:

Dude, that sucks and I’m sorry for all of that. Rant away, get it out of your system, and keep supporting your wife.

:hf:

That’s all I can really do.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I get that lots of people want and love having big weddings, but I’ve also literally never once heard people complain when they decide to go small/low key/no ceremony, self selecting sample bias and all but if you don’t overthink things and roll with what feels natural I think it’s hard to go wrong.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
My wife (MY WIFE) wanted a traditional wedding while I would have been fine with going to a courthouse, but we were able to keep it at about $10k which was quite a bit cheaper than many of my friends weddings. Feels like the average was 40k.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Kalli posted:

One of my buddies had a simple 10 minute thing done by one of their friends, then walked inside a reception hall and had a meal, that still probably ran him like $5-10k.

One of my other buddies had to have a wedding in Boston for his family, a wedding in Hong Kong for hers and they themselves wanted to do a thing in Hawaii... they're probably still paying all that off 15 years later.

My friend was in the wedding party of his Indian college roommate and to hear him tell it it was like Adrian Peterson camel party tier insanity. Well into six figures. Some people really go ham on weddings and I don’t get blowing 4 years at Harvard sums on a single day but do what makes you (or in many cases, your parents lol) happy I guess.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
We just rented our favorite restaurant in providence, RI for the day of our wedding. Justice of the Peace did a 15min ring exchange with immediate family only then it was party time. They handled all the food, drinks, and furniture, All we had to outsource was a DJ.

They kept a running tab of expenditures (w/ open bar) and it was a $20k minimum. By the end we were like $3k short so they just started popping bottles of Dom and stuff while everyone was dancing.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

seiferguy posted:

Speaking of insane weddings, the real reason I'm in SoCal is that my cousin is getting married in Disneyland. She's been Disney obsessed since... ever, so this is unsurprising. But how they're funding it I'm unsure of. I know her husband to be seems to make bank (esp considering the house they bought). But hey! Free Disneyland wedding for the family! (Its very much not free)

It's the "buying a house" part that is impressive, not the Disneyland wedding

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

LeeMajors posted:

Like you said, pretty much the only thing you can do is be as supportive of your wife as possible, I'm glad she's able to start enforcing necessary boundaries, it might make her feel bad in the short term, but long term it will be much better for her sanity. I do like that this thread is a relatively safe space for people to unload the issues going on in their life, so don't feel like you need to apologize.

RE: Wedding chat, when I was 14 my aunt and uncle just got married in a friend's living room. They're still married, I was the officiant having registered as a minister via the Universal Life Church online the day before. I'm pretty sure that never expires so if anybody in the Seattle area needs a cheap marriage I'm available. My aunt is Spanish and if you're Spanish you tend to either be really Catholic or really not Catholic and she's part of the latter category, which is why they decided to have a teenager who filled out a form online do it.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

My sister (and her husband) was a huge POS racist, zeno/homo/transphobic,Trumper that gaslit and manipulated and was generally just an rear end in a top hat to my parents especially during her final relapse meltdown extravaganza. I pretty much had distanced myself as much as possible while still being amenable to appease my parents, but I would always lose sleep and be anxious before holidays thinking about what kind of bullshit the two of them would bring up at the table to make everyone uncomfortable.

I cried at her funeral and then never again and all I’ve felt since was relief that I don’t have to interact with her and her lovely husband again, and I don’t feel the slightest bit of guilt about it.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Its Rinaldo posted:

Sun's poppin off and sending aurora stuff way further south than normal. Getting a pretty good light show in Washington. Friend on the coast took this picture from her house

Wow guildie said they were getting some spectacular stuff in central alabama too.

This is so cool

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Thaddius the Large posted:

I get that lots of people want and love having big weddings, but I’ve also literally never once heard people complain when they decide to go small/low key/no ceremony, self selecting sample bias and all but if you don’t overthink things and roll with what feels natural I think it’s hard to go wrong.

My (now) MIL threw an absolute shitfit when we suggested a small wedding. She then said she would pay for it with money they had, so we went with it, but didn't realize that weddings in 2023 cost a lot more than they did in the 70s, leaving us on the hook for the rest.

Not bitter about it at all, nosiree!

Our wedding ruled but man the stress of it was so bad that I'd never tell anyone to do it.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

So one of my Mother's Day gifts is being a certified Kentucky Colonel. Y'all can call me Colonel Braksgirl, if you please.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Braksgirl posted:

So one of my Mother's Day gifts is being a certified Kentucky Colonel. Y'all can call me Colonel Braksgirl, if you please.

I had to google because growing up on the West coast I'm poo poo at Civil War history, but I'm pleased to find out you were on the good side Colonel.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
She literally has the same rank as that Colonel Sanders had.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

If there actually is a Civil War 2, does she have to serve?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I will happily serve if I get to boss people around which is my specialty.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Air Skwirl posted:

If she moves back to Kentucky.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Silly Burrito posted:

She literally has the same rank as that Colonel Sanders had.

I’ll bet she’s got better cooking though

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Air Skwirl posted:

She can serve original or extra crispy, whatever she wants.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

T-Square posted:

My sister (and her husband) was a huge POS racist, zeno/homo/transphobic,Trumper that gaslit and manipulated and was generally just an rear end in a top hat to my parents especially during her final relapse meltdown extravaganza.

We’ve got Trumpers in our family circle but I was mainly hitting the “buddy” because she’s obnoxiously anti-Trump in the weirdest lib-brained MSNBC way possible. Just all-in on Mayo Pete and Klob. Also Cory Booker. Maddow every night. Types Trump as “tRump.”

Honestly it’s almost as bad as being a chud, but she might’ve imploded to be compared to him lol

Air Skwirl posted:

I do like that this thread is a relatively safe space for people to unload the issues going on in their life, so don't feel like you need to apologize.

:hf: thanks bud.

This is an oddly supportive and nonjudgmental forum for those of us atomized by this very internet. It’s pretty great.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 11, 2024

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Braksgirl posted:

Is this like being an admiral in the Nebraska navy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Dango Bango posted:

Is this like being an admiral in the Nebraska navy?

Apparently so, did not know that was a thing until just now!