Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

drat, I mentioned Dynasty Warriors on this very page!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

gently caress

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Mongols don't read the last page

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/SecondRingSZN/status/1768268067488800837

"i could've been bourgeois instead of being a prole if only fate hadn't intervened!"

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Benagain posted:

Please let's talk about the way more interesting China vs USSR in 1987

quote:

It's fascinating how Chinese analysts always see everything as competition between various imperial centres. It has zero ability to consider countries outside of Russia, China and the US as anything but subjects to be conquered or controlled. It's not a great method for analyzing European policy, being made up of dozens of smaller states.

Russian natural resources and security guarantees (which history has shown to be worth absolutely nothing) would come at the cost of a complete loss of autonomy and sovereignty. I don't think Germany or France would get much out of becoming Belarus 2.0.

Stating that the US isn't a good friend of Europe because it provokes military conflicts in Europe is also surprisingly stupid, considering the article is written in the context of a Russian invasion for the sake of territorial conquest, in Europe.

Just shows how off the mark China is regarding Europe, no understanding of European interests at all.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Danann posted:

"i could've been bourgeois instead of being a prole if only fate hadn't intervened!"

lol remember that "my family controlled all the eggs in china pre-communists" twitter post

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Benagain posted:

Please let's talk about the way more interesting China vs USSR in 1987

Gorby surrenders without a shot being fired.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Please God let them never get any smarter than this, let them get blindsided by every painfully obvious move China makes

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Jose posted:

lol remember that "my family controlled all the eggs in china pre-communists" twitter post

egg monopoly girl was a favorite of mine even if I've forgotten the exact post

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Pretty sure that squatting on rocks in shanghai during the great opening up phase on china could make you decently well off.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Jose posted:

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Danann posted:

I'm proud of my family being workers for generations, and also despise anyone who presented an obstacle to me being an heiress living off inherited wealth, forcing me to live this loathsome existence

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

good_im_glad.gif

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

stephenthinkpad posted:

Probably one of the factors that the noble class went away in China much earlier than the west.

it was a feudal monarchy until 1912.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

No it wasn't. Feudalism actually means something besides "has a monarch"

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Ugh

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Mantis42 posted:

Gorby surrenders without a shot being fired.

I mean yes but does this give even more ammo to the hardliners? Maybe this shakes out alright down the road

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Plutonis posted:

it was a feudal monarchy until 1912.

Starting from the later half of Tang dynasty, the Chinese nobility slowly got destroyed by civil wars and got replaced by the literati class and a massive bureaucracy which was selected through national examination system.

Interestingly, Japan didn't copy this system.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 16:11 on Mar 18, 2024

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!
absolute shot in the dark here but does anyone in the thread know of English-language resources about the electrification of East Asia? im looking at a map of mains voltages and frequencies in the region and of the three countries which I assume were big 20th-century recipients of american industrial equipment—Japan, South Korea, and Taiwan—their grids all have different oddball voltages with only Taiwan being within 10V of the American standard. why is this? I’m figuring my initial assumptions about the matter are ignorant

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Japan has an insane north south split of their electric systems. They didn't unified their network. I don't know anything about SK.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Diaspora rule

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Strangelet Wave posted:

absolute shot in the dark here but does anyone in the thread know of English-language resources about the electrification of East Asia? im looking at a map of mains voltages and frequencies in the region and of the three countries which I assume were big 20th-century recipients of american industrial equipment—Japan, South Korea, and Taiwan—their grids all have different oddball voltages with only Taiwan being within 10V of the American standard. why is this? I’m figuring my initial assumptions about the matter are ignorant

electrification was assisted by the already electrified, the US and Europe, but as can still be seen in the japanese grid today, each source of assistance brought along their own standards. as I recall, northern japan was electrified by the germans and the south by the french and naturally, these two countries which share a common border on the european continent had incompatible grids

bedpan has issued a correction as of 16:07 on Mar 18, 2024

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!

bedpan posted:

electrification was assisted by the already electrified, the US and Europe, but as can still be seen in the japanese grid today, each source of assistance brought along their own standards. as I recall, northern japan was electrified by the germans and the south by the french and naturally, these two countries which share a common border on the european continent had incompatible grids

but today France and Germany both have compatible grids (230V@50Hz), yet two different sides of the same island (Japan) and of the same peninsula (Korea) don’t. what gives! obviously there’s not one simple pat answer, this is a historical question with all the contingency that involves, I would just love to have a book on the subject and couldn’t find one with a quick search

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

stephenthinkpad posted:

Starting from the later half of Tang dynasty, the Chinese nobility slowly got destroyed by civil wars and got replaced by the literati class and a massive barueancreacy which was selected through national examination system.

Interestingly, Japan didn't copy this system.

the big china inspired reforms happened before then i think so that makes sense

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
north japan has the correct grid, but south japan has too many US troops stationed that would lose access to their phone chargers from home, so nothing can be done

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

is there an end date to the USA having troops in Japan.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
on a more serious note, japan has a 100volt appliance standard, but east is 50hz and west is 60hz iirc lol

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Truga posted:

on a more serious note, japan has a 100volt appliance standard, but east is 50hz and west is 60hz iirc lol

I bet this has caused lots of fun for anyone trying to operate a motor. Are the plugs at least physically different? I bet I know the answer

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Strangelet Wave posted:

but today France and Germany both have compatible grids (230V@50Hz), yet two different sides of the same island (Japan) and of the same peninsula (Korea) don’t. what gives! obviously there’s not one simple pat answer, this is a historical question with all the contingency that involves, I would just love to have a book on the subject and couldn’t find one with a quick search

Bedpan is getting an important detail wrong.

It was German and American equipment. The former runs at a 50Hz frequency and the latter at 60Hz. Which are not compatible.

This is due to power suppliers in Tokyo picking the former and those in Osaka picking the latter. It is 1895 and these cities are hundreds of kilometers apart. Why worry about compatibility? So the two grids expanded outward from their respective cities until they reached the Fujigawa River. Which is where the divide between the western and eastern electrical grids has remained.

They have added some converters, but it's nowhere near enough in emergency situations.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

OhFunny posted:

Bedpan is getting an important detail wrong.

It was German and American equipment. The former runs at a 50Hz frequency and the latter at 60Hz. Which are not compatible.

This is due to power suppliers in Tokyo picking the former and those in Osaka picking the latter. It is 1895 and these cities are hundreds of kilometers apart. Why worry about compatibility? So the two grids expanded outward from their respective cities until they reached the Fujigawa River. Which is where the divide between the western and eastern electrical grids has remained.

They have added some converters, but it's nowhere near enough in emergency situations.

Thanks!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

euphronius posted:

is there an end date to the USA having troops in Japan.

Based Mike Lee threatened to pull the USA out of Japan if they didn't return their carbrained murdertroop

They should have taken the out

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
https://www.reuters.com/markets/asia/china-jan-feb-industrial-output-retail-sales-beat-expectations-2024-03-18/

China collapsing! Oh wait....but property is still weak!

quote:

- Retail sales, factory out top f'casts in boost to recovery
- Gives policymakers hope of keeping growth stable
- But continued weakness in property remains big concern
- Analysts say more policy support needed to shore up economy

BEIJING, March 18 (Reuters) - China's factory output and retail sales beat expectations in the January-February period, marking a solid start for 2024 and offering some relief to policymakers even as weakness in the property sector remains a drag on the economy and confidence.
Monday's data join recent better-than-expected exports and consumer inflation indicators, providing an early boost to Beijing's hopes of reaching what analysts have described as an ambitious 5.0% GDP growth target for this year.

Industrial output rose 7.0% in the first two months of the year, data released by the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) showed on Monday, above expectations for a 5.0% increase in a Reuters poll of analysts and faster than the 6.8% growth seen in December. It also marked the quickest growth in almost two years.

Retail sales, a gauge of consumption, rose 5.5%, slowing from a 7.4% increase in December but beating an expected 5.2% gain.

GlassEye-Boy has issued a correction as of 17:18 on Mar 18, 2024

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Lol they just lifetime banned xu jaiyin from participating in any security market.

I wonder if he'll go the "oppressed escapee from Chinese tyranny" route

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

ikanreed posted:

Lol they just lifetime banned xu jaiyin from participating in any security market.

lol get hosed

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

ikanreed posted:

Without serving jail time? That would be getting off light. Maybe there are more.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

stephenthinkpad posted:

Without serving jail time? That would be getting off light. Maybe there are more.

This was not a trial, this was a ruling by their securities oversight board.

He's also eating a fine of 47 million rmb.

They used the word "fraud" to describe what he did, so a fine, a warning, and a ban is really feather touch punishment.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
Thanks to this thread I finally looked up a thing I've been wondering about since I visited my wife's family in Guizhou.

I was there about ten years after the opening and it still looked pretty nice.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
the reptile lays its trap
https://twitter.com/vonderleyen/status/1769685631502877055

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

ikanreed posted:

banned from Number??? sacrilege...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

@bongbongmarcos is an amazing twitter handle