Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

computer parts posted:

Scrooged but that's a Christmas Carol ripoff.

It's a retelling, not a ripoff. That's like saying Batman '89 is a ripoff of Batman '66 because both involve a guy dressing up like a bat and punching people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Baron von Eevl posted:

It's a retelling, not a ripoff. That's like saying Batman '89 is a ripoff of Batman '66 because both involve a guy dressing up like a bat and punching people.

It's a derivative work and "derivative" is a bad word now. :v:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Vic Morrow segment of the Twilight Zone movie?

There's also A Case of Spring Fever:

https://archive.org/details/CaseofSp1940

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Mr. Belpit posted:

The Adam Sandler movie Click does that with a magical Christopher Walken.

And Pleasantville. Probably some 90's cartoons had episodes like IaWL too.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

sticklefifer posted:

A Christmas Carol, Miracle on 34th StreetIt's a Wonderful Life, and Donnie Darko are all about someone who gets visited by some otherworldly entity in order to show the protagonist an alternate universe where life is different due to certain actions he takes.

Can anyone think of any others along similar lines?

[edit]Doh, yeah, I meant IAWL. Haven't had my coffee yet. :v:

Mr. Destiny

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

effectual posted:

And Pleasantville. Probably some 90's cartoons had episodes like IaWL too.

Pleasantville is different though. The character is transplanted into a television universe rather than shown an alternate reality based on his decisions.

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

sticklefifer posted:

A Christmas Carol, Miracle on 34th StreetIt's a Wonderful Life, and Donnie Darko are all about someone who gets visited by some otherworldly entity in order to show the protagonist an alternate universe where life is different due to certain actions he takes.

Family Man
About Time
Ghost of Girlfriends Past

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

FrostedButts posted:

Family Man
About Time
Ghost of Girlfriends Past

Ghosts of Girlfriends Past is definitely a remake of A Christmas Carol though.

There are a lot, of which Scrooged is probably the best, and Mickey's Christmas Carol for a close second.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

syscall girl posted:

There are a lot, of which Scrooged is probably the best, and Mickey's Christmas Carol for a close second.

Neither of these are The Muppet's Christmas Carol.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Neither of these are The Muppet's Christmas Carol.

I'm ashamed to say as I clearly hate things that are fun and good that I have not seen this. But like Kevin McCallister I'll give it a whirl. :tipshat:

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
For some reason Euros really suck to
Where did the "hot girl horseback riding trope" come into play and what are some of the famous examples?

I was watching Hot Shots! and Sheen parodies this by dancing on a motorcycle as he rides by some beautiful girl on a white horse with soft music playing.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
On a related note, Miracle on 34th St.(1947), Don Juan deMarco(1995), and K-Pax(2001), are clearly the same archetype. Are there any other example of good executions of this story? I just checked wikipedia and saw that Miracle on 34th St. has been remade four times. I only specified the 1947 version because that's the only one I've seen, so I don't know how similar any of the other versions are.

edit: ^It immediately makes me picture the cover of a romance novel, which in turn makes me think of Romancing the Stone, but it's clearly a very old ideal that has gone through a lot of different permutations and treatments. Once could even argue that "hot girl on a motorcycle" evolved from "hot girl on a horse".

Snak fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Nov 10, 2014

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Rap Music and Dope posted:

Where did the "hot girl horseback riding trope" come into play and what are some of the famous examples?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

I definitly generalized with the whole "girls on motorcycles" thing, but you take the cake for generalization. While this is a great example of implicit serialization of a woman on horseback, I don't think it's actually related to the trope in question beyond that. Although there are probably some good examples from the Western Genre which I'm not familiar with that contradict what I just said.

edit: And it's also worth noting that(from wikipedia): that painting is from 1897, the event it depicts would have happened in the 11th century, and the first story of it is from the 13th century. Scholars do not consider the legend to have a historical basis.

Snak fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Nov 10, 2014

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Snak you need an editor

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010

Snak posted:

I definitly generalized with the whole "girls on motorcycles" thing, but you take the cake for generalization. While this is a great example of implicit serialization of a woman on horseback, I don't think it's actually related to the trope in question beyond that. Although there are probably some good examples from the Western Genre which I'm not familiar with that contradict what I just said.

Yeah I specifically asked because during the review Gene Siskel clearly points out the scene and says hopefully the parody will put an "end to scenes like this".
So I think its something that might of been revitalized during the late 80s early 90s. I don't know I just feel like I can imagine a million different movie scenes with some chick riding a horse while the love interest gazes away from a distance but couldn't actually think of any. Thanks though guys.

edit: also thank you Snak

Rap Music and Dope fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Nov 10, 2014

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Hat Thoughts posted:

Snak you need an editor

I assume you are referring to my "run-on" sentences in that post. That's a pretty fair point. If you're referring to something else, please enlighten me, I don't mind constructive criticism.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Yeah that was my general concern, then again I might just be terrible at comprehension, probably a bit of both.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Snak posted:

On a related note, Miracle on 34th St.(1947), Don Juan deMarco(1995), and K-Pax(2001), are clearly the same archetype. Are there any other example of good executions of this story? I just checked wikipedia and saw that Miracle on 34th St. has been remade four times. I only specified the 1947 version because that's the only one I've seen, so I don't know how similar any of the other versions are.

The Man from Earth

e: I suppose Big Fish kinda fits as well.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Nov 10, 2014

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Snak posted:

edit: And it's also worth noting that(from wikipedia): that painting is from 1897, the event it depicts would have happened in the 11th century, and the first story of it is from the 13th century. Scholars do not consider the legend to have a historical basis.

Are you being pedantic about Lady loving Godiva? That might not be the first painiting of her, but she's as close to the root imagery of a woman in her altogether riding a horse as you can get.

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Are you being pedantic about Lady loving Godiva? That might not be the first painiting of her, but she's as close to the root imagery of a woman in her altogether riding a horse as you can get.

No he's fine. I asked for examples of films portraying women on horses in the context of a 1991 parody flick spoofing them. Lady Godiva is indeed beyond the scope of my question but I do appreciate the wiki link behind the image. I don't think Snak is being snarky. Again my question stems from a movie with charlie sheen and jon cryer that spoofs top gun and dancing with wolves. Lady Godiva wasn't a wrong answer by any means but it wasn't very helpful either.

Here, 25 seconds in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJdSckmiNeg

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

No he's fine. I asked for examples of films portraying women on horses in the context of a 1991 parody flick spoofing them. Lady Godiva is indeed beyond the scope of my question but I do appreciate the wiki link behind the image. I don't think Snak is being snarky. Again my question stems from a movie with charlie sheen and jon cryer that spoofs top gun and dancing with wolves. Lady Godiva wasn't a wrong answer by any means but it wasn't very helpful either.

Here, 25 seconds in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJdSckmiNeg

Oh, that's a Topgun reference. But the Topgun scene is a reference to Lady Godiva. It's like if a movie had a children's choir singing Ode to Joy in a direct reference to Die Hard, and someone second guessed it being about Christmas as well.

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
Cool, thanks. And it's exactly like that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Cool as Ice also used the same type of girl on horseback/guy on motorcycle imagery, but it came out after both Topgun and Hot Shots.

xtrmntallhippies
Aug 27, 2006
extra mean tall hippies

Snak posted:

I liked The Bishop's Wife

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Snak posted:

Safety Not Guaranteed?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

computer parts posted:

Safety Not Guaranteed?

Is this worth watching?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

sticklefifer posted:

Back to the Future II? Although only 2015 shows Marty a moral lesson about himself while the other parts are just him doing the first movie over again.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Skwirl posted:

Cool as Ice also used the same type of girl on horseback/guy on motorcycle imagery, but it came out after both Topgun and Hot Shots.

Did the other ones have the hero attempt to break his love interests neck? Is it also done by the hero break the laws of physics by jumping over a fence on a flat road?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

Did the other ones have the hero attempt to break his love interests neck? Is it also done by the hero break the laws of physics by jumping over a fence on a flat road?

My favorite wtf physics(wtfysics?) moment is in xXx, where Vin Diesel jumps a motorcycle over like a 12 foot fence by just willing the bike to leap off the ground...

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Snak posted:

Is this worth watching?

surprisingly, yes. I went in prepared to not like it and was very pleasantly surprised.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

computer parts posted:

Safety Not Guaranteed?

I watched it as a double-feature with Hausu and the latter was far more memorable, but that probably isn't a fair comparison since it would apply to any movie paired with Hausu.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Skwirl posted:

I am absolutely crushed that I wasn't the first to post this, but here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Iy4DLp0WQU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Snak posted:

My favorite wtf physics(wtfysics?) moment is in xXx, where Vin Diesel jumps a motorcycle over like a 12 foot fence by just willing the bike to leap off the ground...

In the sequel, Ice Cube throws a tank at another tank.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Baron von Eevl posted:

In the sequel, Ice Cube throws a tank at another tank.

That's about as far into that movie as I've seen. I actually love that part, even though there are many reasons why it would never work.
I hear there's supposed to be a third one with both of them in it, so hopefully it will top those.

Actually the most ridiculous thing in xXx: State of the Union is at the beginning when they raid Sam Jackson's underground base by setting these high tech circular things on the ground that some how detonate downward leaving a perfect tunnel straight down. The dirt just vanishes.

Content: What is up with the movie Hook having an abysmal rotten tomatoes score? Do critics just hate fun? That movie rules.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Throwing a tank at another tank? I call bullshit. Never Never Land though, that's the real deal.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I was watching Hot Shots! and Sheen parodies this by dancing on a motorcycle as he rides by some beautiful girl on a white horse with soft music playing.

I don't know where it started but is it really a trope? A girl riding a horse is sexy because it looks like she's loving. See Jennifer Connelly in Career Opportunities for a blunt example.

Also a girl riding a horse automatically has a certain confidence and gracefulness about her. The imagery and shorthand goes back way before movies.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Lobok posted:

I don't know where it started but is it really a trope? A girl riding a horse is sexy because it looks like she's loving. See Jennifer Connelly in Career Opportunities for a blunt example.

Also a girl riding a horse automatically has a certain confidence and gracefulness about her. The imagery and shorthand goes back way before movies.

And she likely has money.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Watch out though equestrian babes be hosed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mescal posted:

Watch out though equestrian babes be hosed up

Supergirl (whose getting a tv pilot and possibly a show) literally dated her horse.