Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Lexus LS cars are fantastic. Make sure the timing belt's been done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

meatpimp posted:

Yup, the 3UZ is an interference motor. It's quite a lot of work to change a timing belt on one of these.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Yup, the 3UZ is an interference motor. It's quite a lot of work to change a timing belt on one of these.

I don't know how much of a difference there is, but when I lost track of the cams/crank orientation on my 1UZ, it was one of the most stressful wrenching times I've had.

It's a pretty straightforward job, though.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

meatpimp posted:

Yeah. There's just a lot of poo poo in the way.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
Ive driven a 2006 gs300 a lot recently and it takes about 100 turns of the steering wheel to make a 3 point turn, something is wrong with the windshield because it rattles on streets, and on the highway both the windshield rattles a lot and something underneath the steering column buzzes a lot. I could understand if it was a beater but its a one owner car with 40k miles on it. My moms 2006 base sienna has similar levels of rattles and crap when it had 40,000 miles so maybe toyota just sucks at creating not-cheap cars.

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 6, 2014

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

meatpimp posted:

I don't know how much of a difference there is, but when I lost track of the cams/crank orientation on my 1UZ, it was one of the most stressful wrenching times I've had.

Dont they have marks? An old auto tech told me one time that he always uses a marking pen on the marks, plus makes a 45 degree mark from the original mark on the block and timing belt cams. That way god forbid you lose track you know your going to be almost perfect in case you lose track.

I imagine he has lost track a time or two in the past and this is a pretty fool proof way to make sure things are easier to put back together.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

The old ones were great. I have two 23 year old Lexusessses on my drive right now and both are 100% perfect mechanically and in interior.

But then again, Toyota quality has gone down since the early 90's, so I can only assume that Lexus has as well. The newest Lexus I've driven was a 2003.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Dont they have marks? An old auto tech told me one time that he always uses a marking pen on the marks, plus makes a 45 degree mark from the original mark on the block and timing belt cams. That way god forbid you lose track you know your going to be almost perfect in case you lose track.

I imagine he has lost track a time or two in the past and this is a pretty fool proof way to make sure things are easier to put back together.

They had marks, but I got lazy and turned the crankshaft without having the belt tensioned (I wanted to "check" it before pulling the pin), and the belt jumped, then the cams jumped. I got worried that I had the crank 360* out of sequence, because I heard/felt the ding of valve against piston as I was hand-turning. I got it straight and it was fine for a few thousand miles after that, but... yeah... putting some marks like you said would have made all the difference.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE

meatpimp posted:

They had marks, but I got lazy and turned the crankshaft without having the belt tensioned (I wanted to "check" it before pulling the pin), and the belt jumped, then the cams jumped. I got worried that I had the crank 360* out of sequence, because I heard/felt the ding of valve against piston as I was hand-turning. I got it straight and it was fine for a few thousand miles after that, but... yeah... putting some marks like you said would have made all the difference.

Some engines you can even buy a cam lock tool that holds the gears in place while you replace the belt.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

meatpimp posted:

It was done at about 95k says the CarFax. The original owner meticulously maintained it at the dealer and traded it in to them in December, presumably for a new one.

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Nice Lexus. Those things are fantastic. Such a nice place to be on a drive. 3UZ vvti in that one with the 5speed auto, yes?

Yup. It's actually a great powertrain even by today's standards because they designed the five-speed so well. Beats the 8sp in the Chrysler 300 I had as my last long-termer.

I've had it for a week now and absolutely love it. I drove home through rain-hosed SoCal traffic today with the radio off half the time like it was nothing.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Oxphocker posted:

Some engines you can even buy a cam lock tool that holds the gears in place while you replace the belt.

http://flyinmiata.com/index.php?deptid=5681&parentid=0&stocknumber=35-62000 :coal:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
FM has good taste in beers :v:

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

redscare posted:

It was done at about 95k says the CarFax. The original owner meticulously maintained it at the dealer and traded it in to them in December, presumably for a new one.

Yup. It's actually a great powertrain even by today's standards because they designed the five-speed so well. Beats the 8sp in the Chrysler 300 I had as my last long-termer.

I've had it for a week now and absolutely love it. I drove home through rain-hosed SoCal traffic today with the radio off half the time like it was nothing.

May have missed it...how many miles on it now?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Oxphocker posted:

On Peugeot XU-series engines there are holes in the sprockets for 10mm dowels, where you can just insert a 10mm drill bit or whatever you have handy and thereby lock the engine until you've replaced the belt. No need for any special tools.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

2011 Audi A4 Avant, bought as a CPO a couple weeks ago, 35K miles. Also my greyhound Abby, purchased separately.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Nidhg00670000 posted:

On Peugeot XU-series engines there are holes in the sprockets for 10mm dowels, where you can just insert a 10mm drill bit or whatever you have handy and thereby lock the engine until you've replaced the belt. No need for any special tools.

Yeah but can you open a beer with a 10mm dowel?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Now I'm going to have to try.

e: yes

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

kastein posted:

Now I'm going to have to try.

e: yes

Is it really foamy?

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!
Or crunchy? I bet it's crunchy.

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.

'92 Sierra, picked up yesterday. Going to be fun to bash about in! The body is great, with no rust and the paint almost as good. Mechanically good too, just needs a new radiator. The seats are all pretty beat up, so I'm planning to swap in some Swift gti seats as I hear they go in with minimal modification.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:

Oh man that's nostalgic, I learned to drive stick when I was 15 in my uncle's Samurai (as us dirty Yanks call it). That thing was great for the snow days too, had so much fun in that thing, great find it looks super clean!

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

Oh man that's nostalgic, I learned to drive stick when I was 15 in my uncle's Samurai (as us dirty Yanks call it). That thing was great for the snow days too, had so much fun in that thing, great find it looks super clean!

Thanks man. Funnily enough I'm going to be teaching my girlfriend manual on this thing, it seems pretty well suited. The car's very communicative and direct, ridiculously easy to park (no top is pretty good for visibility), nice sharp gear engagement and good pedal feel too. Pretty windy with the top off but that's just part of the fun :)

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

actionjackson posted:

2011 Audi A4 Avant, bought as a CPO a couple weeks ago, 35K miles. Also my greyhound Abby, purchased separately.

Incredible photography!

Looks like you just took a butt shot.

Seriously though nice car, audi makes the prettiest german wagons. Does yours have the (now defunct) swoopy led headlights?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Voltage posted:

Incredible photography!

Looks like you just took a butt shot.

Seriously though nice car, audi makes the prettiest german wagons. Does yours have the (now defunct) swoopy led headlights?

Not sure. I would have taken some better pictures, but the exact same car is for sale here so just look at these

http://www.audistpaul.com/certified/Audi/2011-Audi-A4-st+paul+mn-0bfdc27f0a0a006511fa325a61946692.htm

The difference is that one has 7,000 more miles and costs $5K more than what I paid :hellyeah:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Sunday Punch posted:

'92 Sierra, picked up yesterday. Going to be fun to bash about in! The body is great, with no rust and the paint almost as good. Mechanically good too, just needs a new radiator. The seats are all pretty beat up, so I'm planning to swap in some Swift gti seats as I hear they go in with minimal modification.

Oh man I love this. :allears:

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams

Ah, Blue! This must be the little Suzuki James May originally ordered in Bolivia.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Out with the old

In with the new (to me)

Just traded my 6 for a 2008 Maxima SL. Holy poo poo I love this car. Powerful, understated, incredibly comfortable. I'll probably add a rear sway bar and remove the silencer from the intake box and call it good with mods.

I fully intend to get photos that don't suck on Saturday.

angryhampster fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 12, 2014

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Well my S60R is in winter mode now, got a set of new X-Ice 3's and a 4 wheel alignment (really needed it). It really does make a world of difference having proper winter tires instead of worn UHP all seasons. The past few storms I only lost grip when I intended to. Found a good local parking lot for some donuts too. I wasn't sure what the effect of winter tires would be on my ability to do donuts, thankfully it just made them more exciting, since I have to give it a lot more gas to properly break all 4 wheels loose. The only problem is I kick up so much snow I feel like I need wipers on my side windows. :getin:

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
New hotness!

1.8 Vtec ES. It's so nice inside compared to my old Focus, I love it.

The weather in the UK is atrocious, so this is a quick snap right after I picked it up at the weekend.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Thats a pretty neat spaceship you got there! The US gets such crap Hondas in comparison.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I don't like the full length headlight thing, looks like a 90s concept car.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

I've posted it before but I like this picture.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

You Am I posted:

That's the thing, it actually looks like a mid-00s concept. Because Honda pretty much made it exactly like the concept car, which is rare. I love the look of it, it stands out among the mostly boring crap on the roads. Oddly though, we also get your dull-rear end civic sedan.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

AirRaid posted:

That's the thing, it actually looks like a mid-00s concept. Because Honda pretty much made it exactly like the concept car, which is rare. I love the look of it, it stands out among the mostly boring crap on the roads. Oddly though, we also get your dull-rear end civic sedan.

I like it, too. Chrome-behind-clear is an interesting effect that isn't used much. It honestly doesn't even remind me of an '80s Sable.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

You Am I posted:

As has been said before, the very fact that it looks like a concept car is what's so marvelous about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1nCp8yjsyY

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

You Am I posted:

Or a Mercury

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Voltage posted:

Thats a pretty neat spaceship you got there! The US gets such crap Hondas in comparison.

We actually get (or got until very recently; I'm not sure how the new ones rank up) the better Civic that is lighter and has a fully independent rear suspension instead of a twist-beam. When it came time to build the last CTR, Honda used the sedan shared with the US as the basis instead of the Euro hatch.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Fire in the workshop, that's all folks:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Noooooooooo...:cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

afen posted:

Did you ever post about that project? I see it was in the background here but I don't remember any non-Lloyd Amazon project threads. drat shame though, do you know what caused it? Is there insurance?