Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Yuns posted:

Eleven Madison is great but I hope you have at least 3 hours because the meal is super long and a ton of courses.

Always got time to eat good meals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Yuns posted:

I don't talk much about leg locks because I don't want to share my teammates' moves or strategy without their permission. It's not for the purpose of hiding anything. I just don't want to be presumptuous and share someone else's personal strategy and drills for e-cred. But you all are always welcome to come in person to train with us. I've been making that offer for years and only Odddzy has ever taken me up on that.

If I'm ever in NYC something has gone terribly wrong

That's dangerously close to the family we don't talk to in Jersey

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Yuns posted:

I don't talk much about leg locks because I don't want to share my teammates' moves or strategy without their permission. It's not for the purpose of hiding anything. I just don't want to be presumptuous and share someone else's personal strategy and drills for e-cred. But you all are always welcome to come in person to train with us. I've been making that offer for years and only Odddzy has ever taken me up on that.

I live on the other side of the world, but if I ever have an opportunity to travel for BJJ it'll be a trip to NYC instead of a trip to Brazil, I think.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Got to roll with a visiting black belt at my bjj club the last two evenings. He was about my age and introduced himself as Tim when I rolled with him. As the clubs resident judo guy he was eager to start standing with me. No surprise given how quickly and cleanly he'd take me down, either with double-legs or just clinch up and greco-roman me to the ground. On the ground he repeatedly destroyed me from top half-guard. He gave me a couple nice tips and they were pleasant rolls. For some reason it didn't occur to me to ask why everyone kept taking pictures with him till he'd left. Turns out it was Tim Kennedy , and he's a nice guy.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

ihop posted:

Got to roll with a visiting black belt at my bjj club the last two evenings. He was about my age and introduced himself as Tim when I rolled with him. As the clubs resident judo guy he was eager to start standing with me. No surprise given how quickly and cleanly he'd take me down, either with double-legs or just clinch up and greco-roman me to the ground. On the ground he repeatedly destroyed me from top half-guard. He gave me a couple nice tips and they were pleasant rolls. For some reason it didn't occur to me to ask why everyone kept taking pictures with him till he'd left. Turns out it was Tim Kennedy , and he's a nice guy.

hahaha no way?!

glad you had fun, that's quite an experience

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Never mind. Deleted. Too many exceptions to my outside ashi rules so too confusing without context.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 04:44 on May 18, 2017

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

You're right. Pressure from his legs forced the guy to spin around to his right then Nicky went belly down to stop him completing the turn. That's loving cool. Maybe this is "double inside ashi"? To Yuns this must look like a bunch of aliens trying to understand strange human customs

Isn't that just Reaper with the legs untucked?

And Yuns, if I ever make it to NYC you better believe I'll take you up on that offer.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Oh and my $12 Aliexpress theracane showed up and it seems fine. Works like a charm.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Drewjitsu posted:

How are you getting them to go flat onto their belly, or where are you hitting this from, standing?

Or are you using something like this:
https://www.facebook.com/Grapplearts/videos/10150738299949967/

I've never really been successful at waki-gatame, because getting people to sprawl out belly down is one of the first big no-no's that people learn.

I will usually attempt it off a throw in most cases. If they land on their side, then taking the back is pretty easy from the transition. If they land on their back, I will usually grab their legs, and toss them to the side to force the person to roll over. You need to be dynamic when you do this or they will roll onto their back again. If they are silly enough to go into turtle, then just hop on their back and force them to the ground by applying weight to to their lower back.

After that, it's just applying consistent pressure and weight to the shoulder on the hand you are attacking. If they don't want to give it up, I will shift them forward so their fist is over their chest so the pressure will loose it up.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I'm currently watching Vagner Rochas 50/50 arm kimura and honestly it's really great. I hit the back triangle a few times today thanks to it and I usually hate going for kimura grips.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I've been really keen to watch that for awhile, but it's a little more than I'd like to pay. I was hoping it'd pop up on one of those daily deal sites or something.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I've been really keen to watch that for awhile, but it's a little more than I'd like to pay. I was hoping it'd pop up on one of those daily deal sites or something.

Its good. One thing it does really well for me is explain how the kimura grip isn't about getting a sub but in fact about getting leverage and position on the guy and use THAT for the sub. I was only familiar with the regular cross body kimura, north-south kimura and the kimura from the guard but the instructional really explains how to use the grip so that no strength is really needed the better your position gets. I would usually end doing it against guys but if they were really strong it wouldn't get anywhere really.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I already use the kimura as a pivot point more often than a submission, but I really need to clean up the backtakes and submission opportunities that it creates. I like a lot of detail. Would you recommend it?

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I already use the kimura as a pivot point more often than a submission, but I really need to clean up the backtakes and submission opportunities that it creates. I like a lot of detail. Would you recommend it?

Yeah, I definitely recommend it. I'll have a go at some more stuff about it this week. It's filmed in a no-gi context but I can imagine most of the stuff working in gi except perhaps the cop grip he likes doing.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

There's some decent Kimura details in here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ewjXN7Etbo

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

JaySB posted:

There's some decent Kimura details in here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ewjXN7Etbo

Yeah, I love that video. Here's me nearly but not quite hitting one of those sweeps last weekend :(. I've got the gist of a lot of this stuff, I just need to tighten up the details and drill it way more. I got mauled on points.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGsYfgynX6s

edit: I thought you were linking the Lachlan Giles thing again, my mistake

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 14:52 on May 21, 2017

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
What up grappling Bros, I'm a brown belt now. Kinda surreal since 1) that's like an adult rank 2) due to my life style (80% travel job) I've been a purple belt for over 5 years, which makes a new belt feel even stranger.

What's funny is that Im commuting to Toronto now and just joined a gym there. So I'm going be rolling back up with a new belt after a single class with them. They seem chill so I'm not too worried about being a target but I almost want like an official letter from my home gym to prove I'm not just like buying a belt on Amazon.

I'm not very good: bird body and not enough consistent mat time. our competitive purples run me over and even the more gifted/bigger blues can make my life hell.

I have a good time on mat and honestly don't care who "wins", because getting my rear end kicked in BJJ is still better than like 3 things I do each week anyway. I think I'm like one of those nba guys they keep around despite being comparatively terrible because he's fun on the bench and easy to deal with.

Anyway for all you blue and white belts: keep training and grinding because eventually they'll just give up and promote you.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Congrats

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Xguard86 posted:

What up grappling Bros, I'm a brown belt now. Kinda surreal since 1) that's like an adult rank 2) due to my life style (80% travel job) I've been a purple belt for over 5 years, which makes a new belt feel even stranger.

What's funny is that Im commuting to Toronto now and just joined a gym there. So I'm going be rolling back up with a new belt after a single class with them. They seem chill so I'm not too worried about being a target but I almost want like an official letter from my home gym to prove I'm not just like buying a belt on Amazon.

I'm not very good: bird body and not enough consistent mat time. our competitive purples run me over and even the more gifted/bigger blues can make my life hell.

I have a good time on mat and honestly don't care who "wins", because getting my rear end kicked in BJJ is still better than like 3 things I do each week anyway. I think I'm like one of those nba guys they keep around despite being comparatively terrible because he's fun on the bench and easy to deal with.

Anyway for all you blue and white belts: keep training and grinding because eventually they'll just give up and promote you.

But when are you gonna fight Matt Hughes?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Tezcatlipoca posted:

But when are you gonna fight Matt Hughes?

Lol well I've been focused on long term health and making sure my BJJ game is based around healthy positions. So, given our relative ages, right now I'm thinking the challenge will occur sometime in the 2040s or 2050s.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Congratulations XGuard!

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Congrats Xguard!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Very nice

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

So I got the 4th stripe on my brown belt. I've never really had a reaction to getting a stripe before but this one kinda hosed me up. I guess I always kind of figured that if I kept training that someday I would be a black belt but it was always so far away that I never had to really think about it. But now I've got four stripes on my brown belt. That's it the next time I get promoted a black belt goes around my waist.

And that scares the poo poo out of me.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
you guys are probably good at grappling I wouldn't worry about it

also it will be nice to have another black belt in the threads after fatherdog vanished

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

Congratulations by the way, and this is also totally my strategy (which will never work for me because we have a curriculum you need to learn and my coach hates me, :smith:).

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Xguard86 posted:

Awesome, congratulations. It's important to remember that there's more to grappling and martial arts than competition effectiveness.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

ch3cooh posted:

So I got the 4th stripe on my brown belt. I've never really had a reaction to getting a stripe before but this one kinda hosed me up. I guess I always kind of figured that if I kept training that someday I would be a black belt but it was always so far away that I never had to really think about it. But now I've got four stripes on my brown belt. That's it the next time I get promoted a black belt goes around my waist.

And that scares the poo poo out of me.
Brown belt is by far the best rank. You know a decent amount of BJJ but you also know how much you don't know. You've skilled enough to handle lower belts easily but no one expects you to be super human.

At black belt, you feel like you have to be really loving good and represent your gym well. No one wants to hear your excuses when some animal D1 wrestler gives you a hard time. And when you go to compete, guys like Buchecha are in your division.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Yuns posted:

Brown belt is by far the best rank. You know a decent amount of BJJ but you also know how much you don't know. You've skilled enough to handle lower belts easily but no one expects you to be super human.

At black belt, you feel like you have to be really loving good and represent your gym well. No one wants to hear your excuses when some animal D1 wrestler gives you a hard time. And when you go to compete, guys like Buchecha are in your division.

I'm in my 30s so I only have to worry about masters 1!

/googles last year's masters worlds and sees Xande and Lovato in my weight class

gently caress

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Masters Worlds is no loving joke. A lot of the semi-retired from competing guys are doing masters now. So 2016 Worlds,, Master 1 division had Romulo, Lovato, Xande, Clark Gracie, Gregor Gracie, Vinny Magalhaes etc. Even Masters 4 has guys like Carlson Gracie Jr.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Odddzy posted:

Yeah, I definitely recommend it. I'll have a go at some more stuff about it this week. It's filmed in a no-gi context but I can imagine most of the stuff working in gi except perhaps the cop grip he likes doing.

I love how when you buy it they send you flowcharts. It's like they know me on a deep and personal level.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

Xguard86 posted:

Congrats xguard! Which gym in Toronto did you end up going to?

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Xguard86 posted:

It's me, the 3-year white belt with a broken body who may get a sympathy promotion.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I love how when you buy it they send you flowcharts. It's like they know me on a deep and personal level.

Tell me what you think about it. I'm very into the entries he shows to the back triangle.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

One disc in and I am already very impressed. I've been playing with kimura-as-pivot-point for a few months now and I was started to identify some weird positions that arise from that kind of game. I'd been thinking "I wish I knew some tight attack sequences from this confusing position that I've landed in". I posted a short video of me getting owned during a kimura backtake earlier on this page, and the first chapter of the first DVD starts entirely from the exact position that I was in when things started to go wrong for me.

I recently covered my garage in mats. I'm going to spend a couple of weeks away from the gym drilling all this stuff in secret with a partner who lives nearby.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm still hoping that I'll live the dream of having only one belt for both gis, but at the rate things are going I'll have the brown in Judo before the blue in BJJ. My BJJ club just doesn't promote people - nobody has been given a belt since January 2016, when a blue belt was handed to a primarily no-gi guy who can hang with brown and black belts and who probably should have had a purple belt a year before that. Everyone who has ever submitted me in competition has a blue belt now, and so do many of the people who I've beaten.

I actually think the instructor's approach is to drag out the blue belt promotion so long that people quit if they're not BJJ lifers. Almost every single person who he has promoted to blue is still at the club (and most of them are well overdue for purple :v:). Of the three who we don't see anymore, one is injured, one was asked to leave in a drama storm, and the third is both injured and departed in a drama storm. My theory is that he'd rather have people quit than be known as the small-town instructor who produces a bunch of lovely blue belts. A guy who started bjj the same day as me actually took silver in blue belt and "intermediate" at the last comp, too.

I hate admitting here that I still only have a white belt given how much I like to post about bjj, but I learn through engaged discussion and visualization

e. also grats on the stripes. That's where I meant to start the post.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 23, 2017

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
today makes exactly 1 year since I started training and I've been promoted to a 3rd stripe. I just train pretty much every day and my entire body is hosed up, but hey I'm challenging blue belts regularly now so it's worth it. Purple belts and above still hold some sort of dark mystic art though.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

I like that the drama with my school is mostly based on where to get drinks after training.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I, as a short person, tried to reverse triangle the 260lbs purple belt today. It didn't work and he wet willied me for my efforts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

JaySB posted:

I, as a short person, tried to reverse triangle the 260lbs purple belt today. It didn't work and he wet willied me for my efforts.

Haha. Thank you for the laugh.