Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

the take i liked in the replies is 'an animator who admits to knowing how to actually smoke a bong would get blacklisted from the industry'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

BiggerBoat posted:

I chalk it up to The Marvel House Style where they mandated that everyone try to ape Liefeld and McFarlane. Herb Trimpe, for example, was never that great to begin with IMO but good lord was his poo poo just god awful in the 90's . I think he said in an interview somewhere that he was basically forced to draw that way and didn't care for it but found it really easy.
The top cover (Wolverine #40) was drawn by Marc Silvestri, who started drawing X-Men before Todd McFarlane did his first Spider-Man issue, and years before Liefeld or Lee got any X-Book work. Silvestri was a studio-mate of Lee, and went on to form Image Comics with Lee/Liefeld/McFarlane, so presumably he wasn't pressured into drawing like in an Image style.

Greg Capullo definitely shifted styles somewhat from his work on Quasar over into his work on X-Force, though half of that is "the characters have Rob Liefeld/Jim Lee costumes" more than anything. Then again, over the years when he worked on Spawn, Batman, etc. How much of that was pressure from Marvel, a self-conscious adaptation of what he thought was marketable, or just a creative proposition he enjoyed doing I don't know.

I think the Marvel House Style thing is often kind of overstated, especially if you get outside of the X-Books. The same month that the X-Force cover got published Marvel also was publishing comics with covers and/or interiors by Mark Bagley, Doug Braithwaite, Sal Buscema, John Byrne, Richard Case, Amanda Conner, Alan Davis, Evan Dorkin, Steve Epting, Ron Frenz, the Kuberts, Steve Lightle, Ron Lim, Ted McKeever, George Perez, Marshall Rogers, John Romita Jr, Paul Ryan, Alex Saviuk, Bill Sienkiewicz, Jorge Zaffino, and other artists who do not seem to have been forced into "The Marvel House Style" aping the Image guys.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Rachel Rising is so good y'all :qq:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Uh, obviously that OP's never eaten a bong in their life.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

So, I had never gotten around to reading Strangers in Paradise because well, there's a lot of goddamn comics in the world but when I finished Rachel Rising I discovered there's later connected books by Terry Moore that actually link the whole story together with Strangers in Paradise, so anyway oh god Strangers in Paradise is so good y'all :qq:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SiP is super good from what I remember from like 20 years ago

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It's so good :qq:

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
Five Years is the coming together of all of his stuff, so SiP, Echo, Motor Girl and Rachel Rising. I'll buy anything Moore does, he's just so good.

Also, in the latest issue of Serial, he put a load of his Twitter followers names on the spines of books in the background of some panels. I was lucky enough to have my name feature, which is incredibly cool.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

he publishes a lot of in depth drawing videos on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c?TerryMooreArt?featured

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Flesh Forge posted:

he publishes a lot of in depth drawing videos on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c?TerryMooreArt?featured

Thanks for turning me on to this. I love watching my favorite artists do their thing.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I wish I could find a digital version so I didn’t have to post pictures I took with my phone but man, Go With the Clouds, North-by-Northwest by Aki Irie is gorgeous. Manga, right-to-left, etc

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pitwar posted:

Five Years is the coming together of all of his stuff, so SiP, Echo, Motor Girl and Rachel Rising. I'll buy anything Moore does, he's just so good.

It's almost impossible to buy his stuff though. Everything from SiP to Rachel Rising is out of print. Unless you can read german.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I saw some speculation that he may have signed a bad publishing deal which is keeping them from being reprinted.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Alhazred posted:

It's almost impossible to buy his stuff though. Everything from SiP to Rachel Rising is out of print. Unless you can read german.

Just checking Comixology:

All of SiP appears available (hard to tell since it's three volumes and they're kind of mixed up in the listing) and most is on Comixology Unlimited (the Avalanche volume appears to be the only one not)
All of Echo is available
All of Motor Girl is available
All of SiP XXV is available
All of Rachel Rising is available, and is on Comixology Unlimited
All of Five Years is available

All in English. (And a lot in French!)

So, very possible to buy his stuff! It also appears to be largely DRM-free, so you can even save copies after buying!

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
To add to this, pretty much everything Terry Moore has put out (most of SiP, all of Echo, Rachel Rising, Motor Girl, etc.) has been published by Abstract Studio, which is just the name Moore uses for self-publishing.

It's entirely possible that due to the financial constraints of self-publishing that certain volumes/editions of his work have lapsed out of availability, but in addition to being up on Comixology, both Amazon and InStockTrades seem to have pretty much everything listed above for sale in print as well.

It is also possible that as a self-publisher it took him longer to get up onto Comixology than a lot of other publishers, but he's there now.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

this is so cool :kimchi:

https://twitter.com/TerryMooreArt/status/1433893794034880514

e: not the specific drawing, just the whole "you bought my book, here's a personalized little sketch for you along with a signature"

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 3, 2021

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Flesh Forge posted:

e: not the specific drawing, just the whole "you bought my book, here's a personalized little sketch for you along with a signature"

Jeff Lemire used to do this a lot at cons. He would do a quick doodle to go along with signing books. I got a few "original artwork" stuff from him because of this.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Flesh Forge posted:

Only good thing I’ll say about about VanSciver is that he drew a nice Flash headshot on the inside cover of my Flash: Rebirth hardcover.

Frank Quitely drew a little Batman symbol in my Batman and Robin hardcover.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Mockingbird getting some extra neck.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

bessantj posted:

I have seen real people with necks similar to this

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

bessantj posted:

Marc Alaimo's sister?

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
Superkaren Painkiller Jane's ability includes demanding to speak to the manager, seducing her son's teenage friends and pumpkin spiced latte detection.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

Superkaren Painkiller Jane's ability includes demanding to speak to the manager, seducing her son's teenage friends and pumpkin spiced latte detection.

Is your av text from something? I googled it and didn't turn anything up-- I grew up in Chadds Ford and whenever I see your posts I get curious about it.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

How Wonderful! posted:

Is your av text from something? I googled it and didn't turn anything up-- I grew up in Chadds Ford and whenever I see your posts I get curious about it.

It's a line from a Butthole Surfers song juxtaposed with the theory that NC Wyeth committed suicide by train. The Andrew Wyeth painting that is my avatar was Wyeth's way of coming to terms with his father's death- he's walking away from the site of the accident/suicide.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

It's a line from a Butthole Surfers song juxtaposed with the theory that NC Wyeth committed suicide by train. The Andrew Wyeth painting that is my avatar was Wyeth's way of coming to terms with his father's death- he's walking away from the site of the accident/suicide.

Pepper is a great song.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Has anyone else checked out Echolands? There's a lot going on both in terms of story and art, but I appreciate the boldness of the extra-wide page layout and the variety of art styles. You may have to open these in a new window.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

That looks fantastic! What's going on with the shifting art styles?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Flesh Forge posted:

I think that's just part of J. H. Williams's approach when he's left to his own devices. I haven't seen much of his work, but it was something he did in Promethea too.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It was done for pretty important story reasons in Promethea, it's obviously not accidental :shrug:

Anyhow it looks great!

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

apropos of nothing here are two excellent pages from ROM #41

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I think that's just part of J. H. Williams's approach when he's left to his own devices. I haven't seen much of his work, but it was something he did in Promethea too.

And also in Batwoman.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Flesh Forge posted:

It seems to take place in a world where different fantasy creatures exist together, and some are drawn in different styles. I don't know if they're literally supposed to look like living cartoon characters, but it shows how different they are.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I love Rod Reis on New Mutants. His Shadow King is truly a menacing figure. Reis is like the lovechild of Phil Noto and Bill Sienkiewicz.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Joe Fisto posted:

I love Rod Reis on New Mutants. His Shadow King is truly a menacing figure. Reis is like the lovechild of Phil Noto and Bill Sienkiewicz.

I was gonna say the colorist also did well, but apparently Rod Reis did that too. Good stuff.
What's the current status quo with superhero comics and separating sketches, inking and colors anyway? I know digital tools help a lot, but it still sounds like a ton of work for one person.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

This second panel is so loving good.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

bowmore posted:

I have seen real people with necks similar to this

Women in the Kayan tribe in Myanmar do the neck elongation thing but I've never seen it on Mockingbird.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

bessantj posted:

Women in the Kayan tribe in Myanmar do the neck elongation thing but I've never seen it on Mockingbird.

Well, Clint Barton has been slinging arrows for quite a while, great wrist/hand conditioning, so it's obvious he shouldn't do breathplay.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

presented without comment

https://twitter.com/BrettThousand/status/1449093593889640455

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Kirby did a lot of goos work but Eternals was not one of them