Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Luigi Thirty posted:

I can't think of the name of this ZDoom megawad. It's one of those big fancy hub-based objective-based wads. The first level starts with you on the garbage deck of an alien spaceship and there's conveyor belts that will kick you out into space if you're not careful. It's hard as poo poo and I don't think I ever made it very far. I don't remember if it was a complete wad or if it was just the first hub.

Definitely Daedalus. Anyway, it's not like there are a lot of ZDoom hubs set in space. Daedalus, RTC-3057, Space Station Omega, and Tei Tenga, I think that's all?

xanthan posted:

Was that Washinton and Lincoln? What the gently caress WAS that? I agree with the guy who I assume is the protagonist, what in the gently caress. Does it make sense in context?

Let's hit Wikipedia!

quote:

Backstory

The backstory for the game is told primarily through scan-able conspiracy objects scattered throughout the game. Conduit 2's backstory relies heavily on Sumerian mythology and the Reptilian Conspiracy, a conspiracy theory that the Annunaki, a group of Sumerian deities, were actually extraterrestrials who used humans as slaves and entertainment. The progenitors fill this role in Conduit 2, serving as a basis for the Annunaki deities and having since scattered themselves across the world, secretly controlling and influencing the governments and people of their respective areas. References are also made to Tiamat and the Deluge myth.

In addition, Conduit 2 incorporates other conspiracies such as the Dropa stones, Tunguska event, and disappearance of Col. Percy Fawcett.

Synopsis

Starting immediately after the events of the first game, Michael Ford follows John Adams through a conduit and ends up on the GLOMAR oil rig, a Trust platform. He realizes that though he destroyed the Trust's base in Washington, D.C., he did not destroy the Trust. The oil platform is in the Bermuda triangle and is being attacked by a massive leviathan. Before stranding Ford on the oil platform, Adams makes Ford the offer to join him, which Ford promptly refuses. The leviathan is defeated by Ford, but in a final act of defiance, "eats" Ford only to regurgitate him into Atlantis, an alien spacecraft that was used by Adams, Prometheus, and their siblings to arrive on Earth.

There Prometheus gives Ford the black exoskeleton suit of the Destroyer before they proceed to awaken a human women Andromeda from hundreds of years of stasis. Andromeda reveals to Ford that as he bears the Destroyer exoskeleton, he is the aptly titled Destroyer whose purpose is to destroy the Pathfinder, John Adams. Andromeda uses the ship's conduit to take Ford to a Cold War bunker in D.C. outside of the Smithsonian. Here he finds the Drudge fighting each other, with one group led by a drudge drone named Thex calling themselves the Free Drudge and one group serving the Trust. The Free Drudge call Ford "the Liberator" for destroying their link to the Trust and liberating them.

Ford uses artifacts in the museum to find the locations of two progenitors who could assist Ford in his battle against Adams. Upon returning to Atlantis, Ford finds the ship unstable and has to fight giant stone golems to stop the ship, upon doing so he learns that Adams has been killing other progenitors and stealing their power in order to increase his own. Using the co-ordinates gained at the Smithsonian, Ford arrives to China to warn a progenitor named Li. Li, however, refuses to listen to Ford and believes him an assassin, Michael is forced to kill Li, upon which Prometheus takes Li's energy into the ASE.

Using the second set of co-ordinates, Ford arrives in Siberia, where he finds the Free Drudge led by Thex attacking the Trust. The Free Drudge assist Ford into getting to Katarina, a female progenitor, who the Trust hold captive, waiting to give her to Adams. In order to ensure that Michael can defeat Adams, Katarina sacrifices her energy to the ASE. Andromeda radios to Ford coordinates taking him to the Lost City of Z in Central America, where Thex takes him in his dropship. There they find a female progenitor dead, Prometheus then takes her energy into the ASE as well before revealing his true plan, to donate the energy of all the progenitors into Michael so that he can kill Adams, though this means that Prometheus will have to die as well.

After Michael gets the energy of all the progenitors, he proceeds back to Atlantis via a conduit, but the ship is attacked by Adams and the Trust. Andromeda programs the ship to teleport to the center of the earth, Agartha, where Ford destroys Adam's human form. Michael manages to overcome and destroy Adam's alien form and absorbs the latter's energy into himself as well. The ASE, sensing that all the progenitors on Earth are destroyed sends a signal out to the Oort Cloud in which Tiamat, a dormant alien spacecraft of limitless knowledge rests. Tiamat awakens and heads to Earth as the conduit in Agartha opens and several men in destroyer armor, including George Washington and Abraham Lincoln, arrive, telling Ford that they have come to help him in the upcoming battle.

Can it make sense in context when the context itself does not make sense? I don't know. :iiam:

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Speaking of hub-based Doom WADs, I remember seeing a video of one really bizarre gimmick mod where you're in this giant city full of fully-functional stores and arcades and poo poo. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Doom Center!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcKYwNlAJwk

file link in the video description http://www.mediafire.com/download/zod420nz5yt/DooM+Center.wad

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

That's it! Thanks!

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
Speaking of Daedalus, I ran into a fatal error trying to play it a while back. One part of the hub would not let me leave it once I'd entered. Any exit would immediately crash GZDoom. Wonder if that's been mopped up since then, or if I tried it again if I'd get the same problem.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

Speaking of Daedalus, I ran into a fatal error trying to play it a while back. One part of the hub would not let me leave it once I'd entered. Any exit would immediately crash GZDoom. Wonder if that's been mopped up since then, or if I tried it again if I'd get the same problem.

I had issues with enemies blinking in an out of existence. Regular enemies, imps and such, would only appear when attacking and would become invisible when walking around. That was years ago though and with GZDoom which may not have been up to par with normal ZDoom at the time.

James Peach
Dec 30, 2008

BattleMaster posted:

I had issues with enemies blinking in an out of existence. Regular enemies, imps and such, would only appear when attacking and would become invisible when walking around. That was years ago though and with GZDoom which may not have been up to par with normal ZDoom at the time.

That's not a bug. TeamTNT used "stealth monsters" when making Daedalus.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Mother, why did they persist with Doom: but on the Amiga?

Nemac IV, ZenTek, 1996

No, not the forth in a series. Nemac IV is the forth computer put in charge of the world's nuclear weapons. Completely self contained with its own nuclear power plant, Nemac IV is designed to act quicker than... wait, this is just Colossus: The Forbin Project again, isn't it? Right, fine. The inevitable occurs. Nemac IV: I do not regard you with respect, awe, or love.

What's this? Angled walls in the very familiar map screen? Could we finally have A Doom?

No

Everything is still flat, presumably due to playing as an ED209-alike robot with its traditional weakness to stairs. You wander around - making a very annoying clunk-clunk-clunk sound with every step - blowing up Nemac IV's robot defences. Including one that looks like a goofy face when you kill it.

This is a quite annoying game as it does a lot of things right compared to other attempts. There's definable keys ( but not in-game ), and it supports a wide variety of resolutions for both the native chipset and graphics cards. But there's a definite feeling that they got the renderer working, then got distracted by their snazzy FMV intro movie and skimped on the rest. Enemies can be stunned and knocked back, but the renderer craps out when you knock them too close to a wall and they disappear. The monsters are idiotic even by the not-good standards of D:BOTA games. Once they notice you they attempt to shoot you constantly, even if you are now separated by half a map and multiple foot-thick solid walls. And, well, look at this stuff from the manual:

quote:

Barrels

Barrels can be pushed and pulled. In some levels this might be really necessary.

To push a barrel, simply go towards it and simply push it. It is not too easy, because to barrel is rolling away.

To pull a barrel, switch on the map and go backwards toward a barrel until you have it right in your back. Then just go further backwards (you will automatically go largely around to barrel) and then you will have it in front of you and can simply pull it backwards. Pulling barrels is easier, cause they don't roll back here. To be honest, the pulling was simply a bug, but a nice one and we simply declared it as a feature :-)

Explosions

Explosions do always go through walls and doors. If you possibly know or guess a monster standing right behind a wall or a door, why not shoot a grenade there or drop a bomb?

Troubleshooting

An error message like "UE #5" appears

Well, these are "unexpected errors" and they imply somehow any configurational problems with your computer - they shouldn't appear normally as they are unexpected...

Sound is terrible, especially the aforementioned walking noise, the tinny pew-pew of the guns, and the woman who burbles "SITUATION CRITICAL" constantly then you're at low heath. And there's only per-level saves, again.

I disagree, Nemac IV.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
It's really important to remember the yearly context in which games were made. For example, Nemac IV was released in the same calendar year as loving Quake.

So was Marathon Infinity :(

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Explosions through walls? That's not a bug that's a feature!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

I ran into a fatal error that it sucks. Infinite respawning monsters but not respawning ammo, random poo poo on walls and pedestals you have to use with no indication that it does anything, you have to go pixel hunting for the slightly different textured wall in dark rooms or flashing rooms to advance, ugh. It's so tedious to play. No wonder I never got very far in it when I played it before.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
In regards to good endings for FPS games, the new Shadow Warrior really wrapped up it's plot nicely and actually felt worthwhile. Hoji and Lo Wang have a really incredible relationship as characters, and the game plays off that swimmingly well.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Quaddicted is running an advent calendar of dumb Quake miscellaney. The latest entry is a cute little mini-mod held entirely within a hacked save game, retelling the twelve days of Christmas within a small chunk of E3M6. It's well worth giving a quick spin!

Zidago
Sep 8, 2012

I've never been in a fight before, yet why do I always think I can probably take everyone else down.
I'm about to plunge into Quake 1 with some HD texture packs for the first time today.
I've recently finished all Serious Sam games, all Dooms and Hard Reset on the Hardest difficulties.
Is there anything much different in Quake in comparison to the others?
Should I be worried about anything in the game?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Colon Semicolon posted:

Hoji and Lo Wang have a really incredible relationship as characters, and the game plays off that swimmingly well.

Yes, but are they OTP?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Zidago posted:

I'm about to plunge into Quake 1 with some HD texture packs for the first time today.
I've recently finished all Serious Sam games, all Dooms and Hard Reset on the Hardest difficulties.
Is there anything much different in Quake in comparison to the others?
Should I be worried about anything in the game?

I don't really feel like your Quake experience will share much in common with Serious Sam or Hard Reset (except for the emphasis on mobility that you find in Serious Sam and, because of its gimped movement, Hard Reset). Serious Sam is more of an "arena" shooter like Painkiller: You go into an area, large groups/waves of enemies spawn in, you defeat them, the next area unlocks and the cycle repeats. In that sense, Quake has a lot more in common with Doom: There's some linearity, but you often have some freedom of movement in finding keys/switches and progressing. Fights don't generally emphasize swarms or waves of enemies, either. You might trigger a trap that drops a gate or spawns a handful of monsters, but it won't feel anything like Serious Sam or Hard Reset. Same thing with the level design and secrets. There's more backtracking and overlap in Quake and Doom maps, and not nearly as many secrets per level (nor are they generally as strange or devious) as Serious Sam. I think Quake's arsenal is more boring than Doom's and a lot more boring than Serious Sam's.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Prenton posted:

And, well, look at this stuff from the manual:

That's just adorable.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I think Quake's arsenal is more boring than Doom's
It shouldn't be, really. You lose the BFG, plasma rifle, and chainsaw, but you gain a grenade launcher, a couple nailguns, an axe, and the thunderbolt. With the expansion packs you also get a multirocket launcher, a bouncy plasma/laser/whatever gun, and a big-rear end hammer that shoots lightning everywhere. That's exciting!

The main problem though is that the shotguns don't have a cool reload animation. Given the use of 3D, it probably would have looked like angular crap, which I guess is why they didn't put it. Or maybe they wanted the guns to shoot faster. In any case, that made the shotguns a lot less fun to use.

Damage is also balanced differently, so you need several shotgun blasts to kill low-level enemies instead of the one-shot, one-kill that is generally true in Doom.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Quake's arsenal might be more "boring" than Serious Sam's, but it's way snappier and more refined. The movement is also some of the all-time best in any FPS.

Don't save mid-level.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Quake is fun, my only gripe with it is that it's kinda bland in terms of design. Granted it was the first FPS to use 3D polygons, but still, it's mostly just brown castles you run through while shooting brown weapons at brown monsters. It's basically 3D Doom, but with a brown color palette.

EDIT: Of course that being said now you all are making me want to reinstall and play it again. :arghfist::v:

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 9, 2013

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

An Enormous Boner posted:

Quake's arsenal might be more "boring" than Serious Sam's, but it's way snappier and more refined. The movement is also some of the all-time best in any FPS.

Don't save mid-level.

Yeah. Quake's guns sound boring at first glance, but they are definitely very fun to use. They have great sound effects and they work well with Q1's very fast pace. Zipping around and circle-strafing everything with the (Super) Nailgun while they can barely react is awesome. Gibbing poo poo with the explosive weapons is hilarious because of the goofy sound effects that play.

Also agree about the movement.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I disagree completely on Quake's levels being boring- in fact, Quake might be one of the last single-player FPSes to actually have interesting levels. It basically marked the end of the abstract-design era for shooter levels.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Why do so many Doom WADs use those ridiculous custom enemies like the Shadow Imps and stupid goat-with-shield things. They look so out of place.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Starhawk64 posted:

Quake is fun, my only gripe with it is that it's kinda bland in terms of design. Granted it was the first FPS to use 3D polygons, but still, it's mostly just brown castles you run through while shooting brown weapons at brown monsters. It's basically 3D Doom, but with a brown color palette.

Descent came out almost 2 years before Quake.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by
I'm trying to help a friend set up Doom on her computer, but she's on OS X. Is there a Mac equivalent of GZDoom (fancier graphics but still compatible with most/all ZDoom WADs)? I was considering Zandronum because I heard it can use OpenGL, but I've never used it personally, and she won't be playing multiplayer outside of a rare LAN-based co-op game. And is there a Mac equivalent of ZDL, to simplify the process of playing those other WADs?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I think Quake's arsenal is more boring than Doom's

I used to agree with this, until I played through Doom 2 as the Quake guy via Samsara. The weapon design is a little boring (I know they're all different in practice, but the nailgun, super nailgun and lightning gun are all just slight variations of the same weapon type), and none of them capture that "ultra-destructive weapon" feeling of the BFG and super shotgun, but when you're actually playing they're all drat fun to use. And I can't put my finger on it, but there's just something about the grenade launcher that makes it infinitely more satisfying than the rocket launcher from Doom or Quake.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

poptart_fairy posted:

Why do so many Doom WADs use those ridiculous custom enemies like the Shadow Imps and stupid goat-with-shield things. They look so out of place.
Because most of the wads made for zdoom are terrible and designed by terrible people.

Not to say there aren't bad custom enemies in boom/vanilla compatible wads (evil marine from scythe 2). They just tend to be far more conservative in design or variants of the baron out of necessity. My favourite is the afrit from scythe 2/dv2/sih. They float like cacodemons and shoot a barrage of mancubus fireballs & revenant homing rockets. They're cute!

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Cat Mattress posted:

It shouldn't be, really. You lose the BFG, plasma rifle, and chainsaw, but you gain a grenade launcher, a couple nailguns, an axe, and the thunderbolt. With the expansion packs you also get a multirocket launcher, a bouncy plasma/laser/whatever gun, and a big-rear end hammer that shoots lightning everywhere. That's exciting!

The main problem though is that the shotguns don't have a cool reload animation. Given the use of 3D, it probably would have looked like angular crap, which I guess is why they didn't put it. Or maybe they wanted the guns to shoot faster. In any case, that made the shotguns a lot less fun to use.

Damage is also balanced differently, so you need several shotgun blasts to kill low-level enemies instead of the one-shot, one-kill that is generally true in Doom.

The main problem is that most of the guns don't have a proper reload animation or interesting textures or appearance or anything. They're just ultra-utilitarian tools, completely devoid of any personality.

Now I don't want to offend anybody by calling Quake's weapons "boring". Just that they're more boring than the weapons from other games. :v:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The Quake RL has more "personality" than most other games' arsenals put together.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Quake's weapon sounds are some of the best sounds in any video game. That metallic CLUNK CLUNK-CLUNK of a grenade falling on the floor is burned into my mind.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Fag Boy Jim posted:

The Quake RL has more "personality" than most other games' arsenals put together.

The Quake RL loving owns. The U1/UT99 rocket launcher is the only rocket launcher in games that's better than it.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The main problem is that most of the guns don't have a proper reload animation or interesting textures or appearance or anything. They're just ultra-utilitarian tools, completely devoid of any personality.

Now I don't want to offend anybody by calling Quake's weapons "boring". Just that they're more boring than the weapons from other games. :v:

The entire point is that they look and sound like horrible hell tools.

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Yep.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

An Enormous Boner posted:

The entire point is that they look and sound like horrible hell tools.

Yep.

There was no point to Quake, so your point is moot.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Well I guess that settles it then.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

I'm trying to help a friend set up Doom on her computer, but she's on OS X. Is there a Mac equivalent of GZDoom (fancier graphics but still compatible with most/all ZDoom WADs)? I was considering Zandronum because I heard it can use OpenGL, but I've never used it personally, and she won't be playing multiplayer outside of a rare LAN-based co-op game. And is there a Mac equivalent of ZDL, to simplify the process of playing those other WADs?

Yes, it's called gzdoom http://alexey-lysiuk.github.io/gzdoom/

qZDL should run on OSX but a casual googling did not turn up any binaries.

Google sure is a thing that exists

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

There was no point to Quake, so your point is moot.

Agreed the narrative was poor as hell. I did not connect to any of the characters.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Agreed the narrative was poor as hell. I did not connect to any of the characters.

I wish I would have been able to understand Shub-Niggurath. Maybe telefragging her(?) wouldn't have been the only way.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

closeted republican posted:

The Quake RL loving owns. The U1/UT99 rocket launcher is the only rocket launcher in games that's better than it.

Only because it packs so many different functions in. Rockets or grenades, guided or not, clustered or spread, one to six burst. And the Quake RL has a better explosion sound.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

haveblue posted:

Only because it packs so many different functions in. Rockets or grenades, guided or not, clustered or spread, one to six burst. And the Quake RL has a better explosion sound.

Load 3+ rockets and watch someone's gibs fly across the level at 40 mph when all three rockets explode right next to the target. :unsmigghh:

I agree about Q1's explosion sound being better.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

haveblue posted:

Uhhh pretty sure the MULE from Gunman Chronicles takes the cake for most awesome rocket launcher ever. It takes this guy over a minute to just demonstrate all of the options that are embedded in this contraption.

Real talk though, UT'99 Launcher > Quake RL.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

There are lots of weapons that are conceptually cooler than almost anything in Quake, but the actual execution is rarely even comparable in quality. The UT1/99 launcher can fire a bunch of rockets and grenades and while cool, it's still floaty and clunky feeling compared to the instant crack of Quake's. Combination with the movement system pushes it over the top, too.

edit: this is a major part of why the Quake series has always been the go-to for competition.

An Enormous Boner fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I love how you can juggle enemies so easily with the Q1 rocket launcher. Lobbing a bot across a room and delivering the killing blow while he's in the air or right before he lands is always amazing to see and do.

The U1/UT99 rocket launcher can also juggle, but you can really only do it with the Skaarj because UT99 players usually get destroyed if two or more rockets blow up near them.