Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I haven't gotten to try it yet but I read on another forum that adding a drop or two of water to the beans before grinding will cut the static way down, but I'm not exactly clear on whether or not static is the Infinity's problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Any real difference between a Techniworm and someone half-decent using a pour-over like a V60?

Are expensive grinders like Baratza Sette worth it, or even possible to use for filter coffee?

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

RichterIX posted:

I haven't gotten to try it yet but I read on another forum that adding a drop or two of water to the beans before grinding will cut the static way down, but I'm not exactly clear on whether or not static is the Infinity's problem.
Uh I'd strongly advise against introducing any moisture into your grinder, and this includes not storing beans in the fridge/freezer.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Biomute posted:

Any real difference between a Techniworm and someone half-decent using a pour-over like a V60?

Are expensive grinders like Baratza Sette worth it, or even possible to use for filter coffee?

I've never brewed with a worm, but I would imagine it is relatively easy to get within 10% of the extraction of any particular coffee also brewed on a V60. Now if that extra 10% of extraction makes a difference will depend more on the bean than anything else.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

bizwank posted:

Uh I'd strongly advise against introducing any moisture into your grinder, and this includes not storing beans in the fridge/freezer.

I uh didn't see this before I tried it. I put one drop of water in 16 grams of beans and ran it through the Infinity and was shocked to find that it didn't retain any grounds at all. Like, night and day difference.

I live in a place where the humidity is at least 70% 3 months out of the year so I'm not sure that adding a drop of water to the beans is going to hurt my grinder at all, but since static seems to demonstrably be the problem I wonder if I could run a strip of foil or a wire or something from the receptacle to a ground. I wouldn't normally be obsessing, it's just annoying since I am always only grinding for a single cup and the fucker holds on to 10% of my coffee every time I use it.

The Creature
Nov 23, 2014

Sextro posted:

I've never brewed with a worm, but I would imagine it is relatively easy to get within 10% of the extraction of any particular coffee also brewed on a V60. Now if that extra 10% of extraction makes a difference will depend more on the bean than anything else.

I have a technivorm and it seems to require you to move the shower head around a bit to presoak your coffee. I'm a huge nerd so I love to watch my coffee bloom and be involved, and i honestly think it produces a better cup than my pour over pot. Plus its just looks neat.

That being said Kenji did a side by side of that and the Bonavita, and he prefers the Bonavita for significantly less money.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

The Creature posted:

I have a technivorm and it seems to require you to move the shower head around a bit to presoak your coffee. I'm a huge nerd so I love to watch my coffee bloom and be involved, and i honestly think it produces a better cup than my pour over pot. Plus its just looks neat.

That being said Kenji did a side by side of that and the Bonavita, and he prefers the Bonavita for significantly less money.

Depending on the technivorm basket version you have (I have one without the tab on the bottom to determine half or no flow rate), I turn it sideways in the holder and manually move the basket under the head to get the full coverage on the grounds. I know some people stir at that point too (I don't). It's not a step that bothers me, as the rest of the brew/temp control is really what matters.

Testicle Masochist
Oct 13, 2012

Gonna be getting a french press tomorrow, a bodum chambord. Any good tips or bits of advice? New to using a french press.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I prefer getting those metal pour over filters. Similar taste and easier cleanup.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ammonsa posted:

Gonna be getting a french press tomorrow, a bodum chambord. Any good tips or bits of advice? New to using a french press.

Make cold brew in it!

Seriously though, coarsely ground grounds, pour some of your water over the grounds, wait a minute, finish pouring, wait 3 more minutes, filter, pour out.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

RichterIX posted:

I uh didn't see this before I tried it. I put one drop of water in 16 grams of beans and ran it through the Infinity and was shocked to find that it didn't retain any grounds at all. Like, night and day difference.

I live in a place where the humidity is at least 70% 3 months out of the year so I'm not sure that adding a drop of water to the beans is going to hurt my grinder at all, but since static seems to demonstrably be the problem I wonder if I could run a strip of foil or a wire or something from the receptacle to a ground. I wouldn't normally be obsessing, it's just annoying since I am always only grinding for a single cup and the fucker holds on to 10% of my coffee every time I use it.

I once lined the chute of my Baratza with tinfoil and it had no effect on static.

I've used a spray bottle to spritz the beans and it seemed to work, but I was afraid to keep doing it

Testicle Masochist
Oct 13, 2012

So glad I got the French press today. This is fantastic, and it's so easy to make coffee and clean, drat.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

RichterIX posted:

I was all ready to slam the notion of water in the hopper, but I've got a batch of Colombian, which unlike everything else I've ground the past year or so, clings to the outbox? like a finely ground leech. So yeah, let's try a drop of water on beans that I've cooked the water out of, what the hell.....

it works? :discourse:

Oh, and that better be artisanal and bespoke water :newlol:

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Mr. Mambold posted:

I was all ready to slam the notion of water in the hopper, but I've got a batch of Colombian, which unlike everything else I've ground the past year or so, clings to the outbox? like a finely ground leech. So yeah, let's try a drop of water on beans that I've cooked the water out of, what the hell.....

it works? :discourse:

Oh, and that better be artisanal and bespoke water :newlol:

I was shocked at how well it worked-- I barely have to even clean my grinder when I do it. I'll probably only do it sparingly and with particularly clingy coffee, but it's nice to be able to grind for a cup in the morning and not have to wake my wife up knocking my grinder against the countertop.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

I definitely know the pain of static cling so I'm glad you found something that helps, it's just triggering due to all the grinders I've had to rebuild due to moisture in the grounds clogging them up. You're also introducing liquid to your burrs so there is a non-zero chance of accelerated corrosion. Otoh, these issues are easily resolved, and nothing is more important then a delicious cuppa and not wasting quality beans in the process, so if a drop of water is the solution then it is what it is.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
One thing that annoys me when getting a fresh bag of beans is dialling in the grind for espresso. But not so much that I have to dial it in as much as the fact that it seems to change in the first few days. I'll pull a good shot at, say, 13 seconds on grind setting 6, then the next day that same setting will pull too fast and I have to tighten grind size down to 4. Rinse and repeat 3-4 times each bag.

Is this a normal part of the process? Should I be scrubbing out my grinder more often?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Jan posted:

One thing that annoys me when getting a fresh bag of beans is dialling in the grind for espresso. But not so much that I have to dial it in as much as the fact that it seems to change in the first few days. I'll pull a good shot at, say, 13 seconds on grind setting 6, then the next day that same setting will pull too fast and I have to tighten grind size down to 4. Rinse and repeat 3-4 times each bag.

Is this a normal part of the process? Should I be scrubbing out my grinder more often?

I find that I have to tighten up the grind over a bag. A one pound bag lasts 9-10 days, so maybe one adjustment is needed. Except if I travel for a few days or a week during that time, and I almost always have to go finer after being away.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

The coffee will change a little as it ages as well, which could be part of the problem, depending on how fresh it is when you start using it.

We tend to find our coffee is best if we give it 5 days to a week before we use it, otherwise it tends to be much more acidic.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Yeah, I definitely wait for a bag to degas, usually 5-7 days after roast date. I'm not familiar enough with different roasts and blends to adjust that period so I wait this out by just trying to time a replacement bag 5 days before I'll need it... For my most recent one, this happened earlier than usual at just 4 days. I guess fresh roasts extract slower and that speeds up as the beans dry/air out?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Picked up an unused Oxo cold brew system at goodwill for $10. Is it worth it to have a dedicated cold brew system or was my French press really good enough? Guess I should make a batch and compare really.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I use nut bags and whatever container.

Depends on howmuch you consume, I found that I was using too many beans for CB

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

George H.W. oval office posted:

Picked up an unused Oxo cold brew system at goodwill for $10. Is it worth it to have a dedicated cold brew system or was my French press really good enough? Guess I should make a batch and compare really.

That's what I paid for mine and it's worth it. Stores inside itself for easy storage

The Creature
Nov 23, 2014

DangerZoneDelux posted:

That's what I paid for mine and it's worth it. Stores inside itself for easy storage

I spent around $25 on a system from French Market about 10 years ago and still use it. It's basically a bucket with a plug and reusable filter. I usually make cold brew only during the summer months, but it's a good way to use up old beans.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
I have a bunch of random coffee equipment that I'd like to unload, but was curious if anyone would be interested.

Breville Precision Brewer (w/ thermal pot) -- opened but never used.
Breville Smart Programmable Electric Tea Infuser (I know I know, tea not coffee). This isn't the fancy one that lowers it up/down.
Oxo On Adjustable Temp Kettle - Brand new in box
Bonavita 1800ts (I think -- few years back, does the pre-infusion). This is used, but not often, so it's in good shape with the thermal pot showing some staining (that I can probably get out).
Baratza Virtuoso w/ Esata. The grinder itself is functioning, but a support structure is busted, I am currently planning on sending it back to baratza to repair and then selling, but willing to sell cheap if someone else wants to do that. The esata works, but the buttons are starting to wear, and the thing occasionally flakes.
Handground Precision Coffee Grinder. I've used this maybe 3 times. It's in basically brand new shape.
Hario Skerton Plus (brand new in box)
Handpresso pump, comes in a formed case, which has a water thermos, plastic cups and a few other things (the cups have never been used). I also have a ton of (expired, but still good) LaVazza pods I can throw in on this as well.

And potentially a brand new in box Breville Touch Infuser. And some random different pourover equipment.

Phew, so much stuff. DM me, or whatever and if there is enough interest I'll open a thread in SA-Mart.

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat

MrEnigma posted:

I have a bunch of random coffee equipment.

I don't have PMs, but I would potentially be interested in that Handground grinder; I've been considering getting one recently. You can just email me at hello@kristophernicholson.com if you'd like.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Onyx is doing a coffee Advent calendar for $95.

24 60g samplers all "nitro sealed" with different beans. I caved.

Testicle Masochist
Oct 13, 2012

I love my French press. So good.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

MrEnigma posted:

I have a bunch of random coffee equipment that I'd like to unload, but was curious if anyone would be interested.

Breville Precision Brewer (w/ thermal pot) -- opened but never used.
Breville Smart Programmable Electric Tea Infuser (I know I know, tea not coffee). This isn't the fancy one that lowers it up/down.
Oxo On Adjustable Temp Kettle - Brand new in box
Bonavita 1800ts (I think -- few years back, does the pre-infusion). This is used, but not often, so it's in good shape with the thermal pot showing some staining (that I can probably get out).
Baratza Virtuoso w/ Esata. The grinder itself is functioning, but a support structure is busted, I am currently planning on sending it back to baratza to repair and then selling, but willing to sell cheap if someone else wants to do that. The esata works, but the buttons are starting to wear, and the thing occasionally flakes.
Handground Precision Coffee Grinder. I've used this maybe 3 times. It's in basically brand new shape.
Hario Skerton Plus (brand new in box)
Handpresso pump, comes in a formed case, which has a water thermos, plastic cups and a few other things (the cups have never been used). I also have a ton of (expired, but still good) LaVazza pods I can throw in on this as well.

And potentially a brand new in box Breville Touch Infuser. And some random different pourover equipment.

Phew, so much stuff. DM me, or whatever and if there is enough interest I'll open a thread in SA-Mart.

Decided to make a thread, please hit me up if you have any questions.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3874638

Testicle Masochist
Oct 13, 2012

Has anyone had that Turkish coffee brewed with hot sand? Saw a video of it recently and would love to know more about it.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Ammonsa posted:

Has anyone had that Turkish coffee brewed with hot sand? Saw a video of it recently and would love to know more about it.

it’s just turkish coffee, nothing really special about brewing it in sand other than it can moderate the heat a bit and lets you prepare multiple servings simultaneously without a bank of tiny burners.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Ok so I did a bad thing and stored my espresso machine with no water in the tank and pickup hose and after 3 years I pulled it out of storage and found mold or mildew :argh:

I washed out the tank and will replace the pickup hose but what should I run through the machine to make sure it's clean to use? I called Seattle coffee gear (where I bought it) and they didn't want anything to do with helping me

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

I've dealt with lots of moldy machines; what make/model is yours?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

bizwank posted:

I've dealt with lots of moldy machines; what make/model is yours?

New thread title, pls.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Saeco aroma

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Is the Baratza Encore still the best entry level grinder? friend of mine is getting into coffee and want to make sure I’m giving him good info

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Ah ok; the tank and the pickup tube should be it, though I'd pop the grouphead screen and check there too (as well as your portafilter and basket). Assuming it was in heated storage I'd give it a descaling then run it through several heat/steam/refill cycles then you should be good to go. If it wasn't in heated storage and you didn't drain the boiler, you'll know pretty quickly if there's any freezing damage.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

bizwank posted:

Ah ok; the tank and the pickup tube should be it, though I'd pop the grouphead screen and check there too (as well as your portafilter and basket). Assuming it was in heated storage I'd give it a descaling then run it through several heat/steam/refill cycles then you should be good to go. If it wasn't in heated storage and you didn't drain the boiler, you'll know pretty quickly if there's any freezing damage.

it was stored inside my kitchen cabinet the entire time.

the filter at the end of the pickup had some gunk on it but that seems easy to clean.

the portafilter and basket were stored on top of the machine.

im definitely replacing the pickup hose (it feels like some sort of silicone material?) cause it's discolored.

thanks for the info!

Qubee
May 31, 2013

something that has confused me for a while now: why does Starbucks / large-chain coffee shop coffee affect me more strongly than homebrewed coffee? I can get a grande mocha and it supposedly has 170mg of caffeine, and I usually make coffee at home with 3 or 4 shots of coffee, but it has barely any effect on me. whereas the Starbucks coffee will have me bouncing out of my seat and send my brain to a higher dimension.

I've got the De'Longhi ESAM2800, so I just press a button and the machine does most everything for me. I had this same thing with my aeropress as well. it can't be the beans either, because I buy so many different bean types and the outcome is always the same.

edit: it's not the disgusting sugar content either, when I make mochas at home, the chocolate powder I use works out to be around the same amount of sugar.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 25, 2018

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

I haven't had starbucks in years but from my understanding they generally roast their beans to almost charcoal which means it should have a bit less caffiene in it than a medium or a light roast. Unless you get a different roast there, the only other thing I can think of is maybe if they use a combo of robusta and arabica but I think that's unlikely as well. Maybe you're more likely to have it on an empty stomach than at home?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosani
Jun 30, 2004
Ni ni.

I've heard similar anecdotes from a lot of different people.

Their Blonde roast tends to make me feel more caffeinated than their regular medium/dark roast though.