Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

FrozenVent posted:

Don't go into debt for a graduate degree.

Maaaaaaybe a master in an high demand field.

Yes, this is a master's degree specifically, aka debt required in most programs. And it is high demand, I/O psychology. Starting pay tends to be around 60k and median pay is about 90k, from what I've found.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

jon joe posted:

Yes, this is a master's degree specifically, aka debt required in most programs. And it is high demand, I/O psychology. Starting pay tends to be around 60k and median pay is about 90k, from what I've ofund.

If it is high demand the pay scale is high enough to clock up some debt. How much do you think you'd need to borrow to get by? That is rather than party and blow heaps of money.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

jon joe posted:

Yes, this is a master's degree specifically, aka debt required in most programs. And it is high demand, I/O psychology. Starting pay tends to be around 60k and median pay is about 90k, from what I've found.

As long as you can see yourself working in it. Personal preference and all, but I/O Psych stood alone among my undergrad Psych courses in being excruciatingly boring.

I'd think with I/O you could probably get at least a partial research assistantship though, no?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Devian666 posted:

If it is high demand the pay scale is high enough to clock up some debt. How much do you think you'd need to borrow to get by? That is rather than party and blow heaps of money.

Assuming I go anywhere but the Florida school (the one so expensive for the school/living I can only go if they offer a full time GA position), I can probably get by for 1k/month easy, that includes a small amount of emergency money (no vehicle + bicycle really helps with the funds). So that's 24k before paying for the degree, though I could also probably work part time (since assistanceships are rarely handed out at the master's level). My yearly costs for the degree itself could be 6k (some instate tuition, yeah!), 9k, 12k (4.5k! if I manage to convince them to give me instate due to a family member living there), 14k, 18k. This is not including books, but does include misc university fees. So my overall degree cost, including living, could range anywhere from 34.5k at best to 60k at worst assuming I get no financial aid besides loans. This is on top of my current 23k from undergraduate.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I'd think with I/O you could probably get at least a partial research assistantship though, no?

I hope for but don't count on things like that. Nothing is guaranteed, so I'm assuming I'm paying for everything myself and making decisions based on that until shown otherwise.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
The figures look like they're in an acceptable range. Worth it for the long term better pay which is something that helps you for a lifetime, especially when you're well established.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

jon joe posted:

Assuming I go anywhere but the Florida school (the one so expensive for the school/living I can only go if they offer a full time GA position), I can probably get by for 1k/month easy, that includes a small amount of emergency money (no vehicle + bicycle really helps with the funds). So that's 24k before paying for the degree, though I could also probably work part time (since assistanceships are rarely handed out at the master's level). My yearly costs for the degree itself could be 6k (some instate tuition, yeah!), 9k, 12k (4.5k! if I manage to convince them to give me instate due to a family member living there), 14k, 18k. This is not including books, but does include misc university fees. So my overall degree cost, including living, could range anywhere from 34.5k at best to 60k at worst assuming I get no financial aid besides loans. This is on top of my current 23k from undergraduate.

Would the Florida school be USF? I went there for undergrad, know the I/O (grad) programme is very highly regarded. Tampa is pretty cheap to live in and the area around the university is reasonably bicycle friendly (for Florida), but out of state tuition is a real kick in the pants.

There's the option to move to the state a year in advance, work/save money and get residency to qualify for in-state (FL universities are notoriously inexpensive for in-state students), which could pair well if you're allowed to defer entry for a year. OTOH I've heard FL has made it a pain to get residency to discourage that sort of thing, but I know it's possible.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Would the Florida school be USF? I went there for undergrad, know the I/O (grad) programme is very highly regarded. Tampa is pretty cheap to live in and the area around the university is reasonably bicycle friendly (for Florida), but out of state tuition is a real kick in the pants.

There's the option to move to the state a year in advance, work/save money and get residency to qualify for in-state (FL universities are notoriously inexpensive for in-state students), which could pair well if you're allowed to defer entry for a year. OTOH I've heard FL has made it a pain to get residency to discourage that sort of thing, but I know it's possible.

It's actually Florida Institute of Technology. That's in Melbourne.

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Mar 13, 2015

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Are you more likely to get funded if you went for a PhD? Could you get a masters on the way and then get out? A "free" masters without as much of a time commitment... A friend of mine did this, but I don't know about psych PhD funding.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

ohgodwhat posted:

Are you more likely to get funded if you went for a PhD? Could you get a masters on the way and then get out? A "free" masters without as much of a time commitment... A friend of mine did this, but I don't know about psych PhD funding.

PhDs in psychology are almost always funded fully with a GA position, but the programs are far more selective. Though I can consider my credentials above average for a Master's, I would probably have a tough time cutting my way into a PhD program, no matter how well I think I'd succeed. This is actually my second round of grad school apps, my first round was last year and was PhD only (granted, I was a weaker candidate at the time than I am now, but I still lose out to juggernauts who have 4.0 GPA Master Degrees w/ gobs of research and/or teaching experience.)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

jon joe posted:

At which point does debt for a graduate degree become bad with money? Assuming it is not a field where one will be unemployed, what debt to starting salary ratio is 'too much'? The ideal ratio I've heard is 1:1, which means paying roughly 10% of one's paychecks for 10 years.

I've been wanting to start on a grad degree (business) because i can get reimbursed $5K a year (max of $25K) from work and extra education is a benefit. Then I look at the degrees and they are all $20K a year full time, or if I do it part time it would take 8 years with that amount of reimbursement. Its just a ridiculous amount of money, and working in sales I can't justify the expense yet (because it wouldn't impact my job income at all).

Devian666 posted:

Why are people so obsessed with paying a lot of money for a degree anyway? Just get a computer science or business admin degree and only pay about $1k per year for exams. http://uopeople.edu/ Even if you borrowed the exam fees for two to four years plus some interest it's less money than some people's monthly credit card bills.

I've seen this and its a great thing for under grad. Sadly, they do not have a grad program yet.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Mar 13, 2015

jaymeekae
Aug 30, 2003

I sound hot when I swear my f*cking head off.
Me: I'm thinking about buying this £600 mattress and I can't say with any confidence that it's not largely because of the yellow sides and vague belief that it will turn my life into a gently lit lifestyle photograph. https://www.evemattress.co.uk/mattress.html

jaymeekae fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Mar 13, 2015

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

jaymeekae posted:

Me: I'm thinking about buying this £600 mattress and I can't say with any confidence that it's not largely because of the yellow sides and vague belief that it will turn my life into a gently lit lifestyle photograph. https://www.evemattress.co.uk/mattress.html

Mattresses and shoes (that you wear daily, not just for going out) are the two things that I would spend huge amounts of money on to make them comfortable, given how long you spend sleeping and awake respectively.
However, yellow sides...

jaymeekae
Aug 30, 2003

I sound hot when I swear my f*cking head off.

tentish klown posted:

Mattresses and shoes (that you wear daily, not just for going out) are the two things that I would spend huge amounts of money on to make them comfortable, given how long you spend sleeping and awake respectively.
However, yellow sides...

Yeah I agree about spending money on mattresses. Good sleep is so important.

I feel bad though because I already bought a memory foam just like 2 years ago. It's a low end one though so its really hot and it's developing a dip in the middle. Which not only is uncomfortable but also reveals with some clarity, that I sleep alone.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

FrozenVent posted:

This is a thing: http://www.vesselextractions.com

Also ship mortgages and shipping finance in general is a pretty :stare: world in itself. Ships are basically a mortgageable commodity... And right now they're in the shitter. 900 feet long bulk carriers rent out for like $7000 plus fuel a day these days. (Fuel'll set you back a cool $25,000 a day though.)

Ship mortgages aren't that much crazier than any other capital good notes - trucks, mining equipment, airliners, factory tooling, etc.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012
The best schedule Ive worked in the oil industry was 28/28. Yeah a month straight sucked, but I dont have any kids or a house at that time so my 28 off rocked. I had a whole month and money to burn, and I've burned it.

I guess I can segue this into my own dumb with money poo poo. My first year out of college had 40k in loans and net income of 120000 with no other debts. I worked that job for a year before I got tired of it. Three years later and I've just finally paid off those school loans and I dont really have a whole ton of stuff to show for that first couple of years.

illcendiary posted:

It's a difficult question to answer. From what I can gather, you typically don't get to a company man position without working your way up through the drilling rig hierarchy (start off as a general rig hand "roughneck", work your way up to derrickman, directional driller, etc). That often takes years, depending on your capabilities and (I assume) work ethic. Keep in mind this whole time you're doing the whole 14 on/14 off, and you have to be flexible enough to be willing to move when a drilling rig stops drilling in a certain area. Some of these guys are moving across the country to do this stuff. Often times the company you're with will assume some of the costs of getting you moved around, but I don't think it's guaranteed. I think to get to the company man point you have to buy into the lifestyle fully and be willing to commit to it until you're in your forties. Not everyone wants to do that.

On top of that, it generally takes a certain kind of person to be a company man. You have to deal with a lot of guys under you who can largely be loud, racist pieces of poo poo. They want to be able to commiserate with and relate to you, so it helps if you're a loud, racist piece of poo poo yourself. I realize I'm making these people seem terrible but I heard some horrible poo poo in my time visiting rig sites, so I think it's a fair assumption to make.

A couple things to add. First, if a person is relatively bright and hardworking, they can make company man in 8-10 years. I've seen a handful of guys in their late 20s in that role. Also, some companies have company man training programs where they take college kids and make them assistant company men without having them work the rig. I've never worked with one but I've heard they are universally awful.

The loud, racist thing is more of your grandpa's oilfield thing. It's kinda going the way of chaining pipe and kelly bushings. It's probably still there, but its definitely stamped out when it surfaces. I would describe those guys as gruff and miserable when they are on rotation, but that has to do with them basically having to be entirely responsible for a site, dealing with multiple vendors from below and multiple bosses from the main office. Essentially they have total responsibility for keeping a well on time, under budget, and without incident. It requires a very high tolerance for bullshit and a very low need for sleep. No thanks.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Devian666 posted:

Why are people so obsessed with paying a lot of money for a degree anyway? Just get a computer science or business admin degree and only pay about $1k per year for exams. http://uopeople.edu/ Even if you borrowed the exam fees for two to four years plus some interest it's less money than some people's monthly credit card bills.
Maybe it's because I'm not in either of those fields(I know CS is open to a lot of less-traditionally educated people), but I have to wonder: Do people from that school do as well as people from a normal college? I can't find any stats about how their students do post-graduation, so I'm seriously curious. Even though some quick research shows it's accredited, their accreditation is pretty questionable from what I can find. Most articles about it are just generically positive "oh, tuition-free college! isn't that nice?" schlock, which only adds to my skepticism.

I'm all for online education, but I'd rather point people to a program attached to a reputable college. Or at least have some proof that a degree from University of the People is worth the paper it's printed on. Getting a (potentially) worthless degree is bad with time and money.

But enough about that, let's see how reddit's doing.

http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2yv2m1/help_my_sister_has_one_failed_company_one/ posted:

I have never posted on this sub before but I need help. My sister - let's call her M - has always had bigger dreams than she can afford and often makes dumb decisions, being blinded by the idea of success.

* M once opened a business bank account and put my name on it - when the business failed I had debtors come after me and my credit rating was shot.
* My parents ended up having to bail M out of debt on that business and now she owes them about $40,000.
* M borrowed money from the bank to start another business which does well enough to pay some staff and most of her bills, but not enough to pay herself (yet she works 12 hours a day) or our parents back (parents have to help with her work bills).
* M has farm animals that she isn't properly able to care for due to her work, but she doesn't want to give them away or sell them so they too cost her money she doesn't have.
* M currently lives with my parents because she can't afford to live by herself.

M is finally starting to consider selling her current business but she already wants to run another one. She wants to get the new business ready to go before she even puts her business on the market. The set up costs are close to $1million, yet she has barely $100 to her name and won't make a lot of money from the sale (potentially any as she'll have to repay the bank's loan and she should pay our parents back… she won’t). Trying to talk to M about our concerns only has her flying off the handles, but if we try to help her she is immediately validated and continues planning, without any realistic views of costs. Our parents are preparing to retire and have had to accept the fact that M will never be able to repay them, but they would like to know she'll be ok and able to manage on her own. Their health is also not good and this situation causes them a lot of stress.

TLDR sister has big dreams, zero money. Wants to start yet another business with unrealistic plans.

I need your help reddit, what can I do to open M’s eyes and get her back in the red? I don’t want to destroy her dreams but I don’t know what else to do.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:

tentish klown posted:

However, yellow sides...

we've been over this but somehow for mattresses some $$$$ = better advertising really stuck in people's head. The mattress industry is one of the shittiest around, probably more intentionally deceptive about features, price, & actual cost to retailer than used car dealerships. Don't buy a $99 special from Stop & Shop but "this mattress cost $2000" has little correlation to quality and durability.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
True. I love both of the mattresses in my house - one a Costco buy, and the other a memory foam mattress shipped from freaking Amazon. Both are great and cost under $600 and $400, respectively.

That Amazon delivery was easily the heaviest thing I have ever received by courier.

Obsolete
Jun 1, 2000

There is a local radio ad for a tax attorney. This poor couple didn't pay taxes for like ten years and the IRS hit them with a $400,000 bill. Oh no! They go on to say that they didn't know what to do, especially with a baby on the way, so they called this tax lawyer who reduced their payment to $40k.

They don't say what they had been spending their money on the past ten years, but I'm pretty sure it's a complete Bad With Money Bingo card. That goddamn ad makes me cringe every time. "It's ok to be lovely with money, this lawyer will get you out of it!"

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
I dunno not paying any taxes and then 10 years later lawyering $360,000 of debt away sounds awesome with money to me

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
I imagine a healthy portion of those six figure debts to the IRS are penalties and the reduced amounts are pretty close to what was owed anyway.

Or at least I'd like to think people who are pulling down enough cash to actually owe $400-thousand in actual taxes would have been smart enough to hire a lawyer solely based on the strengths of his or her advertising campaign.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Antifreeze Head posted:

I imagine a healthy portion of those six figure debts to the IRS are penalties and the reduced amounts are pretty close to what was owed anyway.

Or at least I'd like to think people who are pulling down enough cash to actually owe $400-thousand in actual taxes would have been smart enough to hire a lawyer solely based on the strengths of his or her advertising campaign.

It's not hard to accumulate $400k in taxes alone in 10 years, ex penalties, earning a household income of like $120k a year or something.

Are those ads real? Not paying taxes for a decade and then paying 1/10th of what I owe sounds awfully nice. Though I doubt those people qualify for SS.

stephelopholus
Feb 24, 2011

Radbot posted:

It's not hard to accumulate $400k in taxes alone in 10 years, ex penalties, earning a household income of like $120k a year or something.

Are those ads real? Not paying taxes for a decade and then paying 1/10th of what I owe sounds awfully nice. Though I doubt those people qualify for SS.

It could happen, but very unlikely. http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Offer-in-Compromise-1

Basically, there must be no way you could reasonably pay off that debt in a reasonable amount of time (after you sold all of your assets to help pay down debt). If you can afford any form of payment plan you will not get a compromise. The is a non-refundable fee, plus a large portion of your offer is due up front. Even if the offer is rejected, they still take that down payment. A common reason a Compromise would be accepted is if a person became disabled and lost there source of income and has no realistic chance to earn that much money again.

Those ads are very close to being a scam. This is even listed on the IRS page, "If you hire a tax professional to help you file an offer, be sure to check his or her qualifications." They often lure people who owe a few thousands dollars in to attempt to get a compromise who have no chance of ever getting one accepted.

OatmealRocks
Jul 6, 2006
Burrp!

Devian666 posted:

Interesting. Is this place reputable? Can you share any more details about this? I already have a degree. might do it just for fun.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

OatmealRocks posted:

Interesting. Is this place reputable? Can you share any more details about this? I already have a degree. might do it just for fun.

Sufficiently reputable. The reason for it being set up is to help people who are unable to get the education they want because it is otherwise unobtainable. The focus is on third world nations but given the cut throat student loans in the US it's a legitimate option to get educated and not be poor. Their philosophy behind why they only have the two majors is that they wanted the program to produce graduates likely to be employed (rather than various arts courses that so many people seem to like doing).

The courses run full time if you have time to do full time study. If you're interested in courses just for fun but learn something with some substance edx.org is quite good. The tests as you go through the course material is quite interactive. They have some paid courses but you can generally do all of them for free. The only issue with edx and similar online education is the lack of recognised certificates/diplomas and degrees.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

JohnGalt posted:

I guess I can segue this into my own dumb with money poo poo. My first year out of college had 40k in loans and net income of 120000 with no other debts. I worked that job for a year before I got tired of it. Three years later and I've just finally paid off those school loans and I dont really have a whole ton of stuff to show for that first couple of years.

What are you talking about? Those guys would be universally awesome...for management. You need someone with little to no empathy for the workers. True functional sociopaths are relatively rare; and they're hard to sort out from people situationally acting like a dick, and people with autism or just narcissism. So you just find a guy who maybe shows a little bit of ruthlessness and a go-along-to-get-along sort of dishonesty and make sure he is never actually shown first hand what the other side is dealing with. Also, they're not likely to take it so far that even right wing politicians have to oppose them. It's all the benefits of sociopathy with none of the costs.

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009

jon joe posted:

For what its worth, I did io psychology in Europe and it's been good for my career. My salary certainly isn't that high but I was at the start of my career and my masters gave me access to a role I couldn't have had otherwise.

Psychology is a strange discipline though, your undergrad is pretty worthless. Even though I did a masters myself, I generally wouldn't recommend it for most fields. It can pigeon hole you very early in your career.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
How do you guys keep from making small snap purchases? I've been watching the story of stuff and listening to pod casts, but that has just kept me from snap buying crap I don't need that is new. $2 cups of decaf coffee are my bane. I could have saved 50% more this month if I had further eliminated small pleasures from my life.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012

SYSV Fanfic posted:

How do you guys keep from making small snap purchases? I've been watching the story of stuff and listening to pod casts, but that has just kept me from snap buying crap I don't need that is new. $2 cups of decaf coffee are my bane. I could have saved 50% more this month if I had further eliminated small pleasures from my life.

Make your decaf at home and stay out of gas stations?

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

SYSV Fanfic posted:

It's a matter of understanding your underlying motivations for why you're making that purchase. Is it something you actually, really want? Something you've planned on purchasing, and now's a good time?

If not (i.e. a snap decision purchase), is it something that will markedly improve your mental or physical health, free up your time to enjoy higher quality of life in some other way, or take the edge off of another stressor that will otherwise lead to more costly decisions down the line? Or is it just something that sounds good now but doesn't bring a lot of value (such as picking up fast food when you have perfectly fine leftovers at home or plenty of time to cook).

To quote Mr. Burns when he is confronted by Homer's telephone scam to send $1 by mail in exchange for eternal happiness,

Mr. Burns posted:

I think I'd be happier with the dollar

Snap purchases are like that empty promise of happiness because they feel slightly good now, but 30 mins or a day later it's hard to quantify or qualify the true benefit you supposedly experienced.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
Bad With Money: I could have saved 50% more this month if I had further eliminated small pleasures from my life

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

SpelledBackwards posted:

Snap purchases are like that empty promise of happiness because they feel slightly good now, but 30 mins or a day later it's hard to quantify or qualify the true benefit you supposedly experienced.

I'll try to remember this.

I'm not talking a huge amount here, just like $100. I've already kicked the habit of buying tons of video games. I took the biblical advice of plucking out my eye and cutting off my hand by ebaying every video game thing I could back in early December. I'd like to get to the point where I remember when I spend money because I don't do it every day.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

SYSV Fanfic posted:

How do you guys keep from making small snap purchases?

I don't bring my wallet when I leave the house unless I will need to spend money.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I'm not talking a huge amount here, just like $100. I've already kicked the habit of buying tons of video games. I took the biblical advice of plucking out my eye and cutting off my hand by ebaying every video game thing I could back in early December. I'd like to get to the point where I remember when I spend money because I don't do it every day.

YNAB is good for this because you can not only see how much you're spending in different categories as the month goes on, but the simple act of entering every single thing in acts as a deterrent, kind of loike calorie counting.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Bad With Money: I could have saved 50% more this month if I had further eliminated small pleasures from my life

I knew this response would come up before I had a chance to come back to the thread. I get it, and I don't live anything near to a stoic life... I just spend a lot less on eating out and trinkets than I used to. Even though back then I was still saving a good % of my income relative to my peers, now I've upped that percentage a noticeable amount and am actually healthier for it, so there's that.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

greazeball posted:

YNAB is good for this because you can not only see how much you're spending in different categories as the month goes on, but the simple act of entering every single thing in acts as a deterrent, kind of loike calorie counting.

Yeah, I've been doing that (I use Toshl but same principle).

On another level, I picked up an Aeropress and a Zojirushi travel mug (thermos, I can't call something a "mug" if it doesn't have a handle :colbert:), total cost about $55 on Amazon. The Aeropress is great for making a single serving of good coffee (with minimal mess/cleanup), and the Zojirushi will keep it warm all day, if needed. I have yet to buy a coffee while out since.

OatmealRocks
Jul 6, 2006
Burrp!

Devian666 posted:

Sufficiently reputable. The reason for it being set up is to help people who are unable to get the education they want because it is otherwise unobtainable. The focus is on third world nations but given the cut throat student loans in the US it's a legitimate option to get educated and not be poor. Their philosophy behind why they only have the two majors is that they wanted the program to produce graduates likely to be employed (rather than various arts courses that so many people seem to like doing).

The courses run full time if you have time to do full time study. If you're interested in courses just for fun but learn something with some substance edx.org is quite good. The tests as you go through the course material is quite interactive. They have some paid courses but you can generally do all of them for free. The only issue with edx and similar online education is the lack of recognised certificates/diplomas and degrees.

Thanks for this. I work in the USA but my education is from CANADA. I am curious why there hasn't been a revolution on tuition costs. In Canada at best you pay $9-12k/year. Even tier 1 schools if you grades support it. It is absolutely insane and foreign to me that fresh grads have such huge burdens on student loans. Talking to some people they are happy if they can pay it off in 25 years. Crazy. If you are a resident of Quebec on cost around $2000/ year for McGill which is a very highly rated university. I think it is awesome they support degrees with high success on employment. I have some free time and I always like to learn something new, will check out edx.org. If I have kids they are going to be sent to Canada. Even international tuition costs are cheap.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
McGill is pretty much Quebec's most expensive university, too. I paid about $600 for my technical college diploma.

Not $600 a semester, $600 for the whole thing.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Also, this just showed up in my Pocket email tonight, maybe there are some ideas for you here: http://lifehacker.com/how-to-program-your-mind-to-stop-buying-crap-you-don-t-1690268064

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

SYSV Fanfic posted:

by not handing money to the teller.

• Locked thread