Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I thought the whole point of participation trophies was to reward effort, not just arbitrary success. Kids that get raised in an all-or-nothing environment get so terrified of failure they will balk at attempting anything outside their comfort zone.

Getting good at anything takes time and effort and during that time you're bound to be bad at something before you get good at it. Kids can be very impatient and need to be reassured of their progress along the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Goosed it. posted:

Sometimes this back fires. My 5 year old nephew got a bike for his birthday from my parents. My mum was worried that since my 7 year old nephew wasn't getting anything that he would feel bad because a bike is a pretty big present and my parents usually give less obvious presents. So, my mum gave him a pack of dollar store playing cards and within 15 minutes my 5 year old nephew was crying because he really wanted playing cards, not a lousy new bike. Kids are bad at knowing what they want.

My in-laws started doing this with my nephews. Stupidest loving concept ever. Right up there with Easter gifts. I feel so old and crotchety.

Not sure if it's changed, but at least in Boy Scouts you had decent 'participation' awards in the form of camp patches. Sure you got poison oak on your junk and your tent collapsed, but here's a patch showing you went to camp and now it's a memento that may not cause you shame remembering it decades later. At least you tried!

And for actual accomplishments you got a badge.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Thank you for this. I never knew there was a better way to eat watermelon.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Pastry of the Year posted:

One year at summer camp, I was bound and loving determined to Get Good at archery. I never did — turns out I had undiagnosed vision problems! oh well — but I showed up to the range during every last scrap of my free time to put in practice. At the end of camp, I got an award not for being good, but for that sheer persistence, and at the time, that felt pretty great.

:shobon:

During Elementary and Middle school I had perfect attendance because I apparently never got sick or had reason for being out of school. I always felt like a loving moron standing up on the stage with the other kids getting awards for straight A's or whatever and here I am with my dumb ribbon just for showing up every day. Which I had zero responsibility for.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Joey Freshwater posted:

During Elementary and Middle school I had perfect attendance because I apparently never got sick or had reason for being out of school. I always felt like a loving moron standing up on the stage with the other kids getting awards for straight A's or whatever and here I am with my dumb ribbon just for showing up every day. Which I had zero responsibility for.

There was a kid at my school who got the same sort of ribbon but everyone hated him because he actually did get sick, a lot.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

There was a kid at my school who got the same sort of ribbon but everyone hated him because he actually did get sick, a lot.

I can't remember ever being legitimately sick and still going to school, but then that was like 20-25 years ago. Maybe I did and my parents just couldn't afford to take off work or whatever, who knows. I know I hated it enough for everyone else though.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

SpacePig posted:

Thank you for this. I never knew there was a better way to eat watermelon.

:tipshat: Tom Willett is a national treasure

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Panfilo posted:

In elementary school we had a 'Field Day' once a year where everybody would get into groups for various silly competitions.

There were ribbons for every runner up and my friend and I were very proud to get 19th and 20th place respectively (out of 20) :smug:

I remember running a race on Field Day and receiving a ribbon, but I guess it was a mistake because the ribbon was soon taken from me by a teacher and given to the kid in the wheelchair. That's the only time as a kid I was ever upset about getting awards or not.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Krispy Kareem posted:

My in-laws started doing this with my nephews. Stupidest loving concept ever. Right up there with Easter gifts. I feel so old and crotchety.

What you didn't get any easter chocolate? Your parents must have been mean.

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

Krispy Kareem posted:

Normally I would agree with you but in this case it's actually my sister's fault as she has taught her kids that they always get gifts and if they don't they should ask for them. It's not a great scene.

Also, as a kid that only got treats on very special occasions how dare you blaspheme the Easter chocolate God.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

You pa's dead, but you will always have Fillet-O-Fish. (It's the ad McDonalds had to stop airing)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1XM4INk8l8

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Tunicate posted:

Nah, it's a thing now to give kids other stuff on Easter instead of (or as well as) chocolate.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The MSJ posted:

You pa's dead, but you will always have Fillet-O-Fish. (It's the ad McDonalds had to stop airing)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1XM4INk8l8

Why did they have to stop airing it?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Len posted:

Why did they have to stop airing it?

People complained it was tacky to sell burgers using the death of someone's parent. If it's real life and you go to McDonalds because your late father loved to, it's probably heartwarming. But when it's an advertisement specifically written that way by a fast food company, it probably feels wrong to many people.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

The MSJ posted:

People complained it was tacky to sell burgers using the death of someone's parent. If it's real life and you go to McDonalds because your late father loved to, it's probably heartwarming. But when it's an advertisement specifically written that way by a fast food company, it probably feels wrong to many people.

I don't like McDonald's, but I thought it was kind of cute.

Edit. Perhaps because I identify with having a dead dad and realizing that you have some details in common with him, even if the more salient stuff is different

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Non Serviam posted:

I don't like McDonald's, but I thought it was kind of cute.

Edit. Perhaps because I identify with having a dead dad and realizing that you have some details in common with him, even if the more salient stuff is different

Again that's all fine but it comes off as pulling at heart strings for profit when McDonald's themselves does it. Obviously pulling at heart strings to sell you stuff isn't new but in this case they decided the outrage wasnt worth it.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoCxAzF1VIY

wow this is a great ad and everyone should watch it and it doesn't make me want to die or anything

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It's good McDonalds didn't air that similiar ad where the kid's father killed himself because they discontinued the McCruncher.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I liked the tarter sauce commercial. It's no different than the emotional grocery store ads.

Tunicate posted:

You can eat your weight in Easter chocolate. I'm talking about actual wrapped toys. I'm not a terribly religious person, but I dislike toys being given on Easter.

I'm cool with commercializing Christmas because that's a made up pagan holiday. It's this push to make Spring Christmas that I dislike.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Tired Moritz posted:

wow this is a great ad and everyone should watch it and it doesn't make me want to die or anything

The comments on this are fantastic.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

JEWS JEWS JEWS JEWS MSM CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Krispy Kareem posted:

I'm cool with commercializing Christmas because that's a made up pagan holiday.

Just lol if you don't celebrate the birthday of the Unconquered Sun.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

Byzantine posted:

Just lol if you don't celebrate the birthday of the Unconquered Sun.

Instead I celebrate Piccolo Day by contemplating my inevitable violent death at the hands of cruel alien conquerers.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Krispy Kareem posted:

I liked the tarter sauce commercial. It's no different than the emotional grocery store ads.

You can eat your weight in Easter chocolate. I'm talking about actual wrapped toys. I'm not a terribly religious person, but I dislike toys being given on Easter.

I'm cool with commercializing Christmas because that's a made up pagan holiday. It's this push to make Spring Christmas that I dislike.

Its funny you mentioned Easter gifts because my mom used to give us little gifts for Easter lol. Just small little dollar store things+candy, sometimes a magazine or something to read.

My cousin's birthday is very close to Thanksgiving. One year we gave her presents when we got together for Thanksgiving since that was the only time in November we got to see her together. Since I had grown accustomed to receiving gifts on Easter as a little kid, I assumed we also got gifts on Thanksgiving as well, since my cousin was receiving presents. My family had to explain to me multiple times that it was for her birthday but being a dumb little kid I thought it was a trick "It can't be for her birthday, her birthday was last week, she's getting Thanksgiving Presents, why don't I get some too?"

So I can see your point.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Krispy Kareem posted:

Easter also has pagan roots.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I'm part of the problem, when I was younger we got bikes and scooters and poo poo for Easter

Although we didn't really get them for any reason besides it being spring and it's dumb to get a gift on your birthday like Roller Blades when you live in the upper Midwest and you won't see the snow melt for another four months :smith:

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
accidental post

Aardark has a new favorite as of 19:24 on May 20, 2017

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
and another

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
please excuse my bad postin'

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

I'd rather watch this than some maudlin crap of McDonald's trying to tug at your heartstrings until you go buy more fillet 'o fish sandwiches.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
fish fillets are poo poo anyway. no one actually likes fish.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Tired Moritz posted:

fish fillets are poo poo anyway. no one actually likes fish.

I don't know. That kid's dead dad apparently did. And apparently both father and son smeared the sandwich on their face like a toddler when they ate it too.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

I have never regretted reading YouTube comments more in my life.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Solice Kirsk posted:

I don't know. That kid's dead dad apparently did. And apparently both father and son smeared the sandwich on their face like a toddler when they ate it too.

I'm not sure "My dad ate fillet o' fish and now hes dead" is necessarily the message they want you to take away from that ad.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

RoboRodent posted:

I have never regretted reading YouTube comments more in my life.

Fruit loving a married water bottle really brings out the worst in people.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
seriously though, I thought the fish fillet ad was cute. Kid just wanna be like his dad. :3:

the cucked water bottle ad is terrible. I can't believe someone approved and animated that.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Aardark posted:

Suthjfizchttgdhugdgdgstts:dtzft]z

Are... are you okay?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Are... are you okay?

It's a pocket post dude, relax.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My brother and I are about 15 months apart, so as a kid, we each would get a little dollar store something when the other had a birthday. Mom called it the Big Sister/Baby Brother gift or something. And we did this until I was about 8 or so and old enough to grasp the idea of 'you don't get a present all the time.'

I did the same with my nieces and nephews. Always made sure to wrap it too, because unwrapping it is important.

My stepnephew turned 9 last year, and his half-brother was born a few months after his birthday. Now normally I would hold off, the kid's 9, I got him some Lego Dimensions poo poo for his birthday (dollar store. WTF were brand new Legos doing there, but I bought about thirty sets. EVERYONE GETS LEGOS THIS YEAR. Needless to say my dad told me not to spend that much again. I checked a local store, that poo poo sells for $10-15 a set.) buuut....it was his stepmom's first baby so everyone was piling on the gifts. So I sent my stepnephew a stuffed pirate Minion doll. I got a very nice thank you note from my stepbrother's wife, thanking me for her baby's blankets and general stuff, and for Jason's Minion, because the kid flipped out over his "You're my big brother, and this is for you because I might cry a lot!" baby brother's present, and still sleeps with it a year later.

Actual content: every Mother's Day I hear so much ads about Sherry's Berries, and every loving radio station slings the ads. I even heard them on an AM station once; the dj went from screaming about Obama still controlling the White House in secret to explaining how, if you love your mom, berries are better than flowers! I wonder how much business the place does in AZ though, because I usually forget and will check out the deal, only to see an additional $15 "cooling fee" added for our state. They never mention that poo poo in the ads of course. Then again, working in transport, I always assumed food delivery had refridge units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Cowslips Warren posted:

Actual content: every Mother's Day I hear so much ads about Sherry's Berries, and every loving radio station slings the ads. I even heard them on an AM station once; the dj went from screaming about Obama still controlling the White House in secret to explaining how, if you love your mom, berries are better than flowers! I wonder how much business the place does in AZ though, because I usually forget and will check out the deal, only to see an additional $15 "cooling fee" added for our state. They never mention that poo poo in the ads of course. Then again, working in transport, I always assumed food delivery had refridge units.

My local Krogers (Fred Meyers in this case) had a whole fuckton of coated strawberries set out the day before Mother's Day and some workers making more, and they were reasonable priced. I guess the dumb move isn't in the marketing but in the actual business plan of "cover strawberries in chocolate and sprinkles then overcharge".

Charging for shipping and handling is the classic "gently caress you" of low price orders. During the most recent Monopoly game i got a couple of instant win tickets from shutterfly for reusable grocery bags but of course they charge $7 for shipping and handling.