Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I maintain that the reason Triss was included as a long-term romance option in this game is basically entirely because she's a fan favorite character and they felt obligated to.

edit: Which is not necessarily a bad thing. Novigrad would have still felt like Hey Remember This Character From The Previous Entires In The Series?, The City Hub without her so at least they're consistent.

Arglebargle III posted:

The Witcher 3 has almost the same plot and it succeeds because the protagonist is his own guy. And he raised that kid with Yen. So yeah, you made your action figure man kiss the wrong dolly and you have got to DEAL WITH IT.

It's actually kind of mind blowing to me how self-righteous you are being about the sanctity of The Witcher canon. The game wouldn't allow you to make the choice in the first place if you weren't able to change Geralt's mind in a way that affects his character. Get off your high horse dude it's a fuckin' video game.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Arglebargle III posted:

In Fallout or Skyrim you're allowed to ignore the main quest.

Is it supposed to be different in this game? I spent 10 hours after finding out what Ciri did in Velen taking random bounties and exploring the countryside...

dyzzy fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 8, 2015

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Isn't this sweet. I'm doing the secondary quests on Skellige, like Family Blade and Possession and I'm getting 500+ XP for them. Gone up two levels in an hour.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

CJacobs posted:

I've gotten pretty deep into the game now and I've got to say that not only were the people out there saying Geralt is just a generic gruff vidyagame man wrong in previous Witcher games, they're wrong in this one too! Like every Witcher game has had that "complaint" and I just don't get it. I mean look at this face (taken from a random screenshot, it's just an example)

Does this look like the expression of a generic gruff vidyagame man? The facial expressions and general animation in this game are probably two of my favorite things about it. The devs have a very good idea of how to make Geralt look sad or somber without making it out of character:

I always thought Geralt's default attitude about race in the first two games is despair. He doesn't explicitly have an "a plague on both your houses" speech but he will lash out at Yaevinn, Sigfried, Iorveth and Roche with equal ire.

CJacobs posted:

It's actually kind of mind blowing to me how self-righteous you are being about the sanctity of The Witcher canon. The game wouldn't allow you to make the choice in the first place if you weren't able to change Geralt's mind in a way that affects his character. Get off your high horse dude it's a fuckin' video game.

Whatever man. Type words about it if you want to, or don't.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Arglebargle III posted:

Whatever man. Type words about it if you want to, or don't.

I'm just saying, you can think what you want but the pompous attitude is a good way to make people disagree with you just because you're bein' a dick about it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Well, basically the point is that the plot only works with Geralt as his own man, so you shouldn't be surprised that he has opinions about who he ends up in a relationship with. I've always been weirded out by Bioware romances because it really does feel like making dolls kiss and play house. If I sound amused that people (I assume grown-rear end men) are complaining that Geralt isn't playing house right well...

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Re: romance options.

Yen demands Geralt do poo poo, ordering him around like a dog. And when he displays intelligence or has inquiries, she acts like he's being disobedient.

Meanwhile Triss demands equality from you and openly admits that she lied to and used you at one point.

One of these is the foundation of a potentially healthy relationship, the other is a one-sided manipulation based relationship.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Level 20 in full enhanced feline armor and swords, and I finally killed that shiteating archgriffon for the master armorer quest in Crow's Perch. The lovely Yoana crafted me a relic set of Witchers Armor with a 166 armor rating, and 30% resist to slashing, piercing, and bludgeoning, with 10% resistance to damage from monsters and elementals. Only problem is I'm level 20 and can't use it for 7 more levels. What the gently caress CDPR?

What's even funnier is it's Witch Hunter armor... you know like the faction of rear end in a top hat bigots in the game. You'll look just like one. Yep... CDPRJ really don't care what goes on with their item system ever.

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
Did the 1.05 patch increase or decrease the amount of XP received for quests with recommenced levels below your current level?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

Well, basically the point is that the plot only works with Geralt as his own man, so you shouldn't be surprised that he has opinions about who he ends up in a relationship with. I've always been weirded out by Bioware romances because it really does feel like making dolls kiss and play house. If I sound amused that people (I assume grown-rear end men) are complaining that Geralt isn't playing house right well...

Idk if you looked at Geralt's facial expressions or listened to his automatic dialogue during Triss' quests. Because he looks at her with more warmth and fondness than I've yet to see him look at Yen like. So whatever OTP BS you believe in is all on you, not in the game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Alasyre posted:

Did the 1.05 patch increase or decrease the amount of XP received for quests with recommenced levels below your current level?

It decreased it a little, yes. It also made gray quests give you pity EXP instead of just plain none.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Nasgate posted:

Yen demands Geralt do poo poo, ordering him around like a dog. And when he displays intelligence or has inquiries, she acts like he's being disobedient.

Meanwhile Triss demands equality from you and openly admits that she lied to and used you at one point.

One of these is the foundation of a potentially healthy relationship, the other is a one-sided manipulation based relationship.

Yeah who would date a woman who periodically shows up out of nowhere, threatens cajoles or bribes his her friends and acquaintences into helping with some insane quest, and then disappears again?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nasgate posted:

Idk if you looked at Geralt's facial expressions or listened to his automatic dialogue during Triss' quests. Because he looks at her with more warmth and fondness than I've yet to see him look at Yen like.

Hahaha, you're a crazy person

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

But seriously what does the choice add to the game? Especially with the way it is structured?

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah who would date a woman who periodically shows up out of nowhere, threatens cajoles or bribes his her friends and acquaintences into helping with some insane quest, and then disappears again?

Most of the people in the game are perfectly happy to help Geralt and he doesn't have to do any of those things...

Also the whole Freja's garden thing was a little uncomfortable but I probably would have chosen the same thing and Yen handled it well afterward. She's good people imo

dyzzy fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jun 8, 2015

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Spiky Ooze posted:

What's even funnier is it's Witch Hunter armor... you know like the faction of rear end in a top hat bigots in the game. You'll look just like one. Yep... CDPRJ really don't care what goes on with their item system ever.

Wait a second what? I read that as Witcher Armor. Did I really miss an entire word? I'll be dressing like a prejudiced murderer?

I'm going back to sell it to the chick who made it.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Wait a second what? I read that as Witcher Armor. Did I really miss an entire word? I'll be dressing like a prejudiced murderer?

I'm going back to sell it to the chick who made it.

You did miss a word, but I can't blame you since they keep talking about making witcher armor the whole time throughout the quest. Just sell it. The real reason you do that quest is so you can have Joana make the top tier of the Griffin/Cat/Bear gear. Same with the elf guy in Novigrad, the sword he rewards you with is garbage but he is the only one who can use the mastercraft sword schematics.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Dr. Abysmal posted:

You did miss a word, but I can't blame you since they keep talking about making witcher armor the whole time throughout the quest. Just sell it. The real reason you do that quest is so you can have Joana make the top tier of the Griffin/Cat/Bear gear. Same with the elf guy in Novigrad, the sword he rewards you with is garbage but he is the only one who can use the mastercraft sword schematics.

His reward was a Blade of the Bits, a sword I have a diagram for. CDPR really can't give two squirts of piss about loot tables.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

His reward was a Blade of the Bits, a sword I have a diagram for. CDPR really can't give two squirts of piss about loot tables.

Yeah found the template as well. Seemed weird as gently caress :(

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

dyzzy posted:

Most of the people in the game are perfectly happy to help Geralt and he doesn't have to do any of those things...

Really? The only people in the game who are ready to drop everything and help Geralt that I've seen are Eskel and Vesemir... and Yen I guess. Even old friends like Crache and Triss and Dandelion and Zoltan are busy with their own stuff. Seriously though Eskel and Vesemir are the only two guys who are just like, "You need what? Okay."

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

Hahaha, you're a crazy person

Whether I'm crazy or not is irrelevant. Some warmth is greater than Zero warmth. The only time I've seen Geralt smile around Yen is because he's about to go to the bone zone. Otherwise it's either "emotionless witcher" or "sad dog"

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Nasgate posted:

Yes this.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Can somebody remind me where the bathhouse entrance is? I'm on the Get Junior quest and it's telling me to talk to dijkstra and I keep getting sent to a room with two locked doors and he's nowhere to be found. Other places online say go back to the bathhouse but it isn't a spot I can find on the map and I don't remember where I found it in the first place. :(

E: of course as I post this I find it again off dumb luck 30 seconds later :downs:

Dr. Capco fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jun 8, 2015

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Dr. Capco posted:

Can somebody remind me where the bathhouse entrance is? I'm on the Get Junior quest and it's telling me to talk to dijkstra and I keep getting sent to a room with two locked doors and he's nowhere to be found. Other places online say go back to the bathhouse but it isn't a spot I can find on the map and I don't remember where I found it in the first place. :(

Try going through the sewers?

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Arglebargle III posted:

Really? The only people in the game who are ready to drop everything and help Geralt that I've seen are Eskel and Vesemir... and Yen I guess. Even old friends like Crache and Triss and Dandelion and Zoltan are busy with their own stuff. Seriously though Eskel and Vesemir are the only two guys who are just like, "You need what? Okay."

Sure they have their own things going on but it's not like Geralt has to push them to do anything. Zoltan is quick to help chase down leads on Dandelion, who is friggin' kidnapped (so I guess rescuing could count as muscling him into helping) but cheerfully pitches in to get Dudu out of hiding. Geralt winds up having to clean up after him (more like Crimson rear end in a top hat) but it's not like he didn't want to contribute. Crach does ask for favors in return, true. But he holds it on faith and immediately lets them go to the forest.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I always think it's kinda funny when I fail a quest out of nowhere because, no matter how separated from what I've just done they are, I can immediately tell the quest giver is dead for one reason or another. The first time it happened was the rare Gwent card collection quest where you have to play against the Bloody Baron for his card. As soon as I excited my previous conversation with him and the quest updated I knew what had happened to him. :v:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Are there any trolls in W3 that aren't rock trolls?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Geralt also doesn't care about anyone except Ciri, Yennefer, and Geralt, but that's because he's a Witcher and he literally can't feel anything toward people he's not close to because that's how Witchers are (pending some player interaction anyway).

That's actually just some bs witcher make up as an excuse. Geralt's thing is that as a witcher he's supposed to stay neutral and just do the job, but he often fails because he cares too much, and can't help himself trying to do the right thing even if as a witcher he shouldn't get involved.

The scene at the inn after you do the first griffin contract is exactly about that.

turtlecrunch posted:

Are there any trolls in W3 that aren't rock trolls?

Yes. Ice trolls in skeligne.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Avalerion posted:

That's actually just some bs witcher make up as an excuse. Geralt's thing is that as a witcher he's supposed to stay neutral and just do the job, but he often fails because he cares too much, and can't help himself trying to do the right thing even if as a witcher he shouldn't get involved.

The scene at the inn after you do the first griffin contract is exactly about that.

Yes. Ice trolls in skeligne.

No but you see in the NOVELS

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Verranicus posted:

In the novels he dies protecting nonhumans from an angry mob.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Anyone else getting this glitch in the From A Land Far Far Away side quest?

tl:dr, a cutscene is stuck in a loop and I can't progress in it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Avalerion posted:

That's actually just some bs witcher make up as an excuse.

Yeah and my point is that he genuinely believes that even though it's likely not actually true. That scene is also about how he has convinced himself of it until he proves himself wrong and basically immediately betrays his own feelings. If it's not because that's what Witchers are, it's because that's what Geralt chooses to think of himself as, which again is not entirely his fault because of the rest of the living world's even harsher view of him and his kind.

Avalerion posted:

In the novels he dies protecting nonhumans from an angry mob.

This also comes up in the game so lol

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jun 8, 2015

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there a good gwent guide? Like locations of especially powerful cards that are also not so hard to get.

I thought I had a good grasp on the game but then I played an old dude with a beast deck that was complete bullshit. Everything he played was similar in strength to my cards but it also came with 2-3 of the same card. Getting a card advantage was impossible since his were effectively stronger than mine card for card by a large amount.

I got close to winning a few times with seige and ranged and weather effects.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jun 8, 2015

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
For monster decks you need to know when to pass a round to keep your cards for next time. Or have lots of frost cards.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Verranicus posted:

Much of Geralt's time in the novels is spent traveling with a group of friends, who all agree to help him save a girl they've never met. His enduring friendships with Dandelion and Zoltan began there as well and were carried over into the games.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
The point is that the people coming down on us people who are complaining about the Triss/Yen and related story stuff are using the "it was in the novels!!" as an unfair excuse for something that's legitimately stupid for people who only played the games. The devs could keep things true to the book without forcing people to have read the entire library to udnerstand why Geralt puts up with Yennefer and her poo poo and why we shouldn't instantly think Triss is a million times better.

EDIT: Plus we see plenty of instances of Dandelion and Zoltan being buds with Geralt in the games. We never see Yennefer as anything but a nasty hag unless we choose her romance option which is placed at the most retarded point in the game possible in relation to Triss'.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

i've read the novels that have been translated to english and played all the games and i still like triss a lot more

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
A soothsayer led me to this cave. Never said anything about a rabbit though...

The rabbit is invincible and can't aggro. Otherwise a fun Python reference.

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005

turtlecrunch posted:

For monster decks you need to know when to pass a round to keep your cards for next time. Or have lots of frost cards.

Those cards that play multiples at once can create great opportunities to pass since you can often gain a card advantage. It's also useful to play your weaker cards early in a round, so you can see what your opponent is doing and if you need to pass you haven't wasted valuable cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Do you actually have to pay the guy 1000 coin to go to skellige or do you get it back?