Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Which in a roundabout way brings me to something I noticed in the RLM review (and many other people have said it); complaining that people wanted Covenant to explain why the Engineers were planning on wiping out humanity. An entire film about humans being utter dipshits and failures is all the explanation that's needed, I feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I still like the discarded idea that people crucified the one they sent to help in 33 AD. Although after a couple of scenes in Prometheus I would have wondered how a bunch of Roman soldiers could have pulled that off.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Now I'm watching the Covenant extras. Some of this is really on the nose; the extended prologue with David/Weyland especially. Oh, and Walter describing David as "like meeting a distant you."

I love smoking and watching Alien movies and suddenly Walter pulls out a few joints.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Cronenberg from Dead Ringers on seems like he would include a more blunt and gross sexual pun, as funny as that line is.
It's gross enough; this was every joke in my 11th grade band class.

precision posted:

Which in a roundabout way brings me to something I noticed in the RLM review (and many other people have said it); complaining that people wanted Covenant to explain why the Engineers were planning on wiping out humanity. An entire film about humans being utter dipshits and failures is all the explanation that's needed, I feel.
That criticism totally misses the point of Prometheus, that seeking answers from a higher power is necessarily disappointing. You'd think the very first scene being and Engineer dude in his undies committing suicide would set you to thinking that maybe these guys don't have a master plan.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Halloween Jack posted:

That criticism totally misses the point of Prometheus, that seeking answers from a higher power is necessarily disappointing. You'd think the very first scene being and Engineer dude in his undies committing suicide would set you to thinking that maybe these guys don't have a master plan.

True, Alien is not a Gnostic series and that's why "Jesus was an Engineer" wouldn't work without some other rewrites.

e: It occurs to me that Naked Lunch is David Cronenberg's Alien movie. Hell, it even has the black goo. This might require some further thought when I'm more high

precision fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Aug 19, 2017

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 212 days!

precision posted:

I'm not sure about that. Covenant plays around a bit with David/Walter's reaction to Daniels and Tennessee's besting his creations.

Little does he suspect that the law of inverse ninjas is in effect :smuggo:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's just David.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

precision posted:

e: It occurs to me that Naked Lunch is David Cronenberg's Alien movie. Hell, it even has the black goo. This might require some further thought when I'm more high
Well, Prometheus is the most Cronenbergian Alien movie that exists. Many of Cronenberg's films feature some sort of trigger, usually technological, that causes characters to awaken into a living nightmare where the laws of reality no longer apply.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Halloween Jack posted:

Well, Prometheus is the most Cronenbergian Alien movie that exists. Many of Cronenberg's films feature some sort of trigger, usually technological, that causes characters to awaken into a living nightmare where the laws of reality no longer apply.

By that standard, Resurrection fits the bill pretty well. Ripley 8 awakens in a nightmare world where she was recreated by science after being literally dead, and now she has inhuman abilities she doesn't quite understand while literal monsters (also created by science) run loose on the ship and murder people, and the most "human" person she encounters is a robot.

Just got done rewatching Covenant, I checked out the audio commentary. It's not Ridley Scott's best commentary, but it was still worth a listen.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Xenomrph posted:

Just got done rewatching Covenant, I checked out the audio commentary. It's not Ridley Scott's best commentary, but it was still worth a listen.

Does he seem drunk at all?

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

I'd rather see an Alien film by Guillermo Del Toro than David Cronenberg.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
[leans over to date]
"That's Mimic."

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Hodgepodge posted:

I'm not sure about that. Covenant plays around a bit with David/Walter's reaction to Daniels and Tennessee's besting his creations.

Little does he suspect that the law of inverse ninjas is in effect :smuggo:

That's why he helps them destroy it, or at least doesn't sabotage their plan to. It falls into the trap, ergo it's back to the drawing board.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Does he seem drunk at all?

Eh not really? He does openly state at the start of the commentary that he's doing it off the cuff with no preparation whatsoever, though.

A few choice bits I remember:

- he doesn't remember Alien that well, and thinks of it almost as if he didn't make it

- Danny McBride's character is an homage to Slim Picken's character from Dr Strangelove

- he literally uses the word "xenomorph" several times, which James Cameron came up with

- he mentions the plans for numerous follow ups and sequels

- when the Alien on the lander gets crushed by the crane, he says it "probably reformed itself", because it's "indestructible".

- the "blowing on the nose of a horse" bit with David and the Neomorph originated from Ridley Scott's real life experience with horses growing up

- he (erroneously) takes credit for coming up with the "4th act" of Alien, where the creature stows away on the Narcissus and Ripley has to blow it out into space

- he apologizes to Noomi Rapace for Shaw's fate

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

- he tells the audience everything that is happening on screen

- doesn't think people watched the film before they saw the commentary.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
director's commentary is hilarious because it's almost never anything to do with the themes or direction of the movie and usually devolves into either shooting poo poo or talking about production issues

i remember watching starship troopers' and it's almost entirely verhoeven marvelling at the fantastic (by 90s standards) special effects while complaining about the weather ruining their on-set shooting

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Commentary is also good if it descends into buffoonery (Brian Blessed / Flash Gordon, Hobbit Actors / LOTR, or Milius/Schwarzenegger / Conan). Occasionally if you get a director who likes to talk or other technical people in the booth by themselves you can also learn the nerd stuff.

An Unexpected Journey had Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh discuss doing a re-touched LOTR in the vein of the 1997 Star Wars Special Editions, which after how the Hobbit turned out made me throw up in my mouth a little bit.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The Futurama DVD commentary is awesome, they go into a lot of detail on the background and they all obviously love the show. Lots of cool anecdotes and interesting stories. David X Cohen gets to explain some of the math jokes too, which is neat.

Still not as good as Schwarzenegger laughing his rear end off watching Conan.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ungulateman posted:

director's commentary is hilarious because it's almost never anything to do with the themes or direction of the movie and usually devolves into either shooting poo poo or talking about production issues

i remember watching starship troopers' and it's almost entirely verhoeven marvelling at the fantastic (by 90s standards) special effects while complaining about the weather ruining their on-set shooting

This is the kind of thing that's interesting to hear though? It's good fuel for budding filmmakers.

I don't give a poo poo what they have to say about their themes. The film should do that.

GoldenGun
Oct 21, 2005

In heaven everything is fine
I loved Lindelof's commentary on the Prometheus blu-ray. It's been a few years since I last listened to it, but he goes into great detail on (re)writing the story and the decision making behind it all. It should be mandatory listening for his stupid detractors, claiming he's a clueless hack etc.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

K. Waste posted:

The cool thing is that in Requiem, the matriarchal warrior is the Predalien.

Similarly, in Covenant, the matriarchal warrior is David.
Oddly, the companion short film about Shaw's fate depicts him as a classic case of womb envy, using Shaw's tissues as a medium to produce what he considers his children.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

dont even fink about it posted:

Commentary is also good if it descends into buffoonery (Brian Blessed / Flash Gordon, Hobbit Actors / LOTR, or Milius/Schwarzenegger / Conan). Occasionally if you get a director who likes to talk or other technical people in the booth by themselves you can also learn the nerd stuff.

An Unexpected Journey had Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh discuss doing a re-touched LOTR in the vein of the 1997 Star Wars Special Editions, which after how the Hobbit turned out made me throw up in my mouth a little bit.

I really want to hear what Brian Blessed had to say about Flash Gordon.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm still baffled by his statement regarding a "kind world." That it's a specific reference to Byron is a little hard to swallow.

My ultra simplistic reading of the meaning of that phrase is that David grew to hate humanity because Weyland was a dick to him. If humans could be kind on the new world, maybe the new world would treat them kindly.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

a foolish pianist posted:

I really want to hear what Brian Blessed had to say about Flash Gordon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtMulYBE-m0

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Halloween Jack posted:

Oddly, the companion short film about Shaw's fate depicts him as a classic case of womb envy, using Shaw's tissues as a medium to produce what he considers his children.

That's the thing, though: David only looks like a conventional male and is assigned male gender and sexuality. He sees taking Shaw's womb as a sacrifice to him/her, the two becoming one, and ultimately he/her just 'perfecting' what was always the basic limitation in human reproduction, which is precisely this separation of male and female.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'm glad someone else besides me noticed that David is presenting as Shaw, however briefly.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
A peculiar thing about the short film is that Shaw's fate was apparently far less horrible than what you're lead to imagine from viewing Covenant.

remigious posted:

My ultra simplistic reading of the meaning of that phrase is that David grew to hate humanity because Weyland was a dick to him. If humans could be kind on the new world, maybe the new world would treat them kindly.
Well, that makes sense. He values his creations in a very different way from how Weyland values him. (At least he believes he does.)

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 20, 2017

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Halloween Jack posted:

A peculiar thing about the short film is that Shaw's fate was apparently far less horrible than what you're lead to imagine from viewing Covenant.

Er... really? The movie made it look like she was vivisected and harvested for organs, and Advent reveals that she was, in fact... vivisected and harvested for organs.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 212 days!

remigious posted:

It's a riff on Hamlet's pun on the two meanings of 'kind' when he says that he and Claudius are 'more than kin and less than kind.'

In this case, it's referencing David's plans for Daniels as his queen. David and humanity are, of course, relatives. If she is, like Shaw, what David considers spiritual kin, then the world will be suitable for humanity... and 'their' children.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Er... really? The movie made it look like she was vivisected and harvested for organs, and Advent reveals that she was, in fact... vivisected and harvested for organs.
The movie implies that she was kept alive, maybe for years, as some mutant living womb. Like in Slither but over a longer period of time. I'd rather be vivisected and harvested for organs.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Xenomrph posted:

- when the Alien on the lander gets crushed by the crane, he says it "probably reformed itself", because it's "indestructible".

...even he doesn't know how the second Xeno gets on the lander? :psyduck:

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

precision posted:

Huh?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

precision posted:

What do you mean?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It was a joke based on how many people blinked and missed the explanation for the second Xenomorph in the final act.

e: not people in this thread, mind you, just something I saw on a lot of reviews/posts elsewhere

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Xenomrph posted:

- he doesn't remember Alien that well, and thinks of it almost as if he didn't make it

Is that what he actually said? I mean, I'm still trying to wrap my mind around this.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I like how they changed the rate an alien is born. Why doesn't it just blow up the human and come out a full size alien?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

MrMojok posted:

Is that what he actually said? I mean, I'm still trying to wrap my mind around this.

A lot of directors don't watch their own stuff. I mean, I've had a crack at writing stuff, and I loving hate reading it, and writing is infinitely less demanding than film making.

Also, it's been close to forty years.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Tenzarin posted:

I like how they changed the rate an alien is born. Why doesn't it just blow up the human and come out a full size alien?

The gestation period is different in every alien film, though. The chestburster doesn't come out when the clock strikes or something, it comes out at dinner. It comes out when dramatically motivated.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

MrMojok posted:

I'd have to rewatch the commentary to get an exact quote, but yes he outright says he doesn't remember 'Alien' well, and he doesn't really think of it as "his" movie as a result.

The last time we know he sat down and watched 'Alien' for sure was when he did the commentary for the quadrilogy release, and that was in 2004.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

precision posted:

It was a joke based on how many people blinked and missed the explanation for the second Xenomorph in the final act.

e: not people in this thread, mind you, just something I saw on a lot of reviews/posts elsewhere

It goes against how every single Alien film beside the AvP films handled the creatures. So if makes sense why people were confused.

No coma, no egg, but yet chestburster????

Worst part of the film imo period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
David made the facehugger.